• Published 8th May 2012
  • 1,791 Views, 14 Comments

War for Equestria-Prelude 1 - CeresBane



A series of short stories before the coming of the great war and foreshadowing the possible causes.

  • ...
 14
 1,791

Utopian Equestria

"So you'll read this word for word I take it?" Ceres tried to peek into the rummaging pages as Celestia's magic flipped each page.

"Ceres, this tome is over a million words long! That would take days. I will only use it as reference." At Ceres's words Celestia slammed the book and made way towards the front row of pews.

"But-" Ceres tried to protest but with a will of her magic Celestia made a point to open the book at a random page so that she could slam the book closed before his face.

"Do you doubt that I know the contents of my own book?" The kicked up dust had Ceres coughing and wiping dust from his eyes.

"We'll have to see. Recount the history I know. Of the Equestria your mother knew."

"As you wish." Said Celestia as she scanned through the pages once more, occasionally nodding to herself before placing the book to her side.

Looking to Ceres, she had found that he was making himself comfortable sitting on the raised platform, keeping eye level to Celestia. Satisfied that he was ready to hear Celestia began to recite.

In the beginning the world was of chaos. This was a time when creatures like Discord were a common thing, as demons and deities fought epic battles for control over the land, to shape in however they all wished. In this time ponies were a nomadic people, savages who lived lives that were a far cry of the civilised society we live. Eating simple foods such as grass and shrubbery where ever we could, all the while running, ever galloping across the land for greener grass and more open plains.

Until one day a single tribe of unicorns united the surrounding ponies, where for the first time they settled and founded the first city. Unicornia. The gods willing, the earth ponies tended the land so that grass was aplenty. The war-like pegusii patrolled the borders and fought back the chaotic hordes with ice and lightning and bloody hoof. While the unicorns brought order to the time and space of which ponies lived. Letting the earth fertile for food to grow and letting time flow orderly as they formed the early forms of night and day. Times of only light and darkness of which no sun or moon were born as of yet.

This was a good time, with ponies growing in numbers and bringing with them new foods and new cultures and traditions from various foreign lands. Unicornia starting off as a mere settlement had turned into a great kingdom with a capital of the same name. Soon after the other clans formed the cities of Pegasopolis and Earth of which fiefdoms and nobles spread across the lands there after. Although ponies now had a safe haven to gather, life was still hard. Everyday ponies lived and died in droves against the forces of chaos and frankly, they were merely too weak to fight them off forever. Soon, the income of immigrant ponies dwindled to a trickle resulting in Unicornia coming on brink of disaster. It would only take one major attack to sweep the kingdom and all of pony kind out of existence. Star Light the unicorn king, ruler of ponykind despaired.

However love had found a way. Through the union of the pegusus lord Star Fire and unicorn princess Twinkle, new life had come into being. She would be the hope of pony kind and to dated history the first and greatest alicorn ever born.

When this child had come of age, she was gifted power beyond those any pony could fathom. In one hoof the elements were her willing slaves as windigoes and halcyons listened to her beck and call. The other hoof she willed the birth of the sun and the moon, bringing forth the magic of the land giving it the name, harmony. With all of pony kind behind her she drove the demons of the world to the far off land of Tartarus. The frozen hell of which to this day the alicorn's enchanted denizens still work to seal the ancient evils within. It had been a long campaign but with finality, pony kind knew peace. With it came new problems.

Politics were an evil that will never leave pony kind. In this time the three clans vied for power. Seeing as their unique abilities were an asset to pony kind, they drove to threaten all with disaster should they refuse to give their services. The earth ponies refused to tend the land, the pegasii refused to tame the weather and the unicorns asserted their rule with threats of magic. Arguments became feuds and then finally outright civil war. Growing weary of this bickering, the first alicorn left the land.

With her absence, the first winter came.

The land had become uninhabitable, with the constant snow the skies and earth grew cold and hard. Too hard to till the land and too cold for what meagre crops could germinate. Out of their desperation they fought, stealing and pillaging from each other for whatever little they could muster. Until it finally dawned on them, the pony population dwindling to its last few, they finally remembered. This land survived only on harmony and through their friendship they survived the evils of the world. With the warmth of ponies huddling together in the open plains, they silently began to prayed.

By the warmth of their hearts and faith, the first alicorn heard their calls. She had returned. But the snow refused to cease and all worried for their lives. She held no such fear as she showed all with a single hoof, how she remade the land. A land of eternal snow, warm to the touch and magical in nature. In this utopia the heavens fused with the earth, as snow and cloud became indistinguishable. The land grew life upon itself forming forests and lakes and rivers.

It wasn't long until other creatures gathered in the land to live amongst pony kind in peace and harmony. Each pony now knowing their place, bowed to their queen and by her will they worked together to form the kingdom of Equestria.

"That was... certainly abridged. But I hear no falsehood from it." Ceres nodded seemingly satisfied.

"Naturally, we've little time and it would be redundant to speak in detail." Celestia spoke out simply, Ceres agreeing with no doubt to him. This was best, he wasn't the kind to marvel at dreary and long stories. He liked things concise with the facts of the matter given unto him. Frivolous details censored until such a need for enquiry of them.

"Continue."