• Published 17th Feb 2015
  • 1,330 Views, 21 Comments

An Unnamed Love Story - OCisbestpony



A simple story, really. Humans, love. Nothing fancy, or complicated. Just the open, and honest feelings of two young lovers coming together.

  • ...
4
 21
 1,330

Chapter Five: A Peaceable Yellow

Chapter Five:
A Peaceable Yellow

I awoke around 12:30pm or so. As was normal, I was mildly irritated with myself for that fact. Granted, I had been up until 5:30am playing games, but even so. It always felt like the day was over way too quick when I woke up half-way through it. Then again, I've always been something of a night owl, so the dream of an early arise time was something of a distant one. Even so, I hauled myself from my bed, trudged to the shower, and then sat down to a nice bowl of spaghetti with chunky pasta sauce. I looked at it with mild distaste. I loved pasta, I especially loved the way I made it. But literally having it for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner was getting a bit old. Even so, it was food and I needed to eat.

As I did, my mind ran over the day. I had the day off, what did I want to do with it? Did I want to play video games all day? Chances are, I was going to anyway, so which game should I play? I wondered if I had any school activities to attend that evening. No, I couldn't think of any. Did I have any obligations I had to take care of? No, none that I could think of. Seeing as how my schedule was clear, I got up from the table and settled down into my bowl chair. As I did however, I felt something in the back of my mind. It was if I had forgotten something important. It was something that afternoon. I suddenly got the feeling my personal time was a lot less plentiful than I thought it had been. What was it? As the logo for my chosen game loaded up, it came to me. The pound! I nearly lept from my chair, and I began frantically looking for a clock, for fear that it was somehow past 3. Spying one, I saw that it was only 1:30. I took a deep breath. I was safe. Settling down into my chair, I turned my eyes to the screen. I had one hour before I needed to leave, might as well pass the time.


“Where in tarnation is he?” Applejack said. It was 3:30 according to Fluttershy's watch. “Ya know, where I come from, it's considered polite to tell folks when you're gonna be late!” She let out an angry grunt. Why kind of guy tells someone that he'll be somewhere and then doesn't show up? “Did he give you his number?” AJ asked, turning her head to Fluttershy. She shook her head.

AJ looked around. They were sitting in the parking lot, and Applejack was leaning against the side of the truck, while Fluttershy was still sitting in the passenger seat. It was fine day, there was a slight breeze with a small bit of chill in the air.

AJ's patience was running out. First, she had to deal with Fluttershy's antics in the morning, then she had to clean the stalls, then she had to have a 'heart to heart' with her Uncle. And now this! She let out a breath; today was just not her day.

“Maybe he got caught in some traffic?” Fluttershy offered.

“Somthin' like that...” AJ replied. “At least, that had better be the case.” she added under he breath. She was in a tangle at the moment. She hoped that he would show, for Fluttershy's sake, but on the other hand … she wasn't sure. For some reason she couldn't quite put her finger on, she hoped that he wouldn't show. It was somethin' like, fear? Or was is more like anticipation? No. That wasn't it. She was all jumbled up. So, she bit her lip and decided that perhaps it would be better to try and set her emotions aside for the moment. At least, until they got home from this stupid thing...


I was late. If I was a swearing man, I would have been doing just that. I kept looking at the clock, pushing it just a few more minutes, just a little bit longer. Next thing I knew, it was time for me to be there. I spent most of the trip wishing that I had at least gotten her number, or that I had not played for so long. As I turned off of the highway, I found myself both hoping that they would be there, and wishing that they wouldn't. Part of me hoped that they would have gotten fed up with waiting and just left. I would have felt guilty, but that would have been easier to deal with then spending the afternoon with them. As it was, I could see the pound up ahead. I suppose I would know what the case would be in just a few seconds.

***

They were there. A ping of guilt and a bit of panic filled my mind. What was I going to say? What was I going to do? What were we gonna talk about? My mind filled with scenes of forced conversation and awkward moments. I was not looking forward to this … and yet, there was a sense of excitement. Part of me couldn't wait to start talking to her. Part of me was eager. What I didn't know was that she was feeling much the same. What I didn't know was that she too was both nervous and excited. She however, had a counter balance to her mixed feelings. She was excited to be at the pound, and that helped to focus her feelings. I however, did not want to be there, and that only made things worse.

I noticed their gazes following me as I pulled into a spot and parked my car. I tried to think of some clever greeting to use as I got out of my car, but that was in vain. As I closed my door and made my way over to their truck, Applejack piped up and interrupted my thoughts, “'Bount time y'all showed up!” she shouted across the parking lot.

I felt an addtional pang of guilt. I had no good excuse. And I could tell that she was irritated. She had tried to add a bit of good naturedness to that statement, but I could tell that she was annoyed all the same. Time to apologize, and mean it. Hopefully that would dispel the tension in the air.

“I apologize. I had no right to do that. I'm sorry.” I said hanging my head slightly. Apparently Applejack was the sort of person who took punctuality rather seriously. Had I been looking, I would have noticed that Fluttershy, was confused, for she never knew her friend to be so rude.

“Oh, that's Ok!” She chipped up. That put a little bit of a smile on my face. “What's important is that you're here right?” she asked. She had such a kind voice.

“Uh huh,” snorted Applejack, “he only kept us waiting for thirty minutes!” she nearly shouted.

I was taken aback. She was clearly mad. She was trying to conceal it, but it was bursting though the seams.

“Uh, Applejack, it's alrig-” Fluttershy started.

“No it's not alright!” she cut her off, “I've got a lot of things ta do today an waitin' around in front of some stupid pound is a' waistin my time!” she had her arms crossed, and was leaning against her truck still, but her eyes were fixed on me. At least, that's what I assumed the burning sensation I was feeling was (for I was still hanging my head somewhat, avoiding her eyes). That, and I knew that I had really upset her, and that really bothered me. I always tried to live my life so as to never upset others, so when I failed, it hurt.

“I … I see. I didn't know that you would be so busy, I'm really sorry about that.” I said. I hoped that would help to repair some of the damage.

“Sorry?” she shouted, “Sorry?! Darn tootin' you're sorry! Y'all can't drag a gal all the way out here an' then leave em' hangin around like this! It an't right! And then ya come up and act like you're all sorry like? I'm sorry mister, but where we're from, things don't work like that!” her face was red, or some hue of it. “And ya know what? We an't gonna stand for it! Come on Fluttershy, we're leavin!” and with that, she slammed shut Fluttershy's door, marched over to the diver's seat, and threw herself into the truck. The engine roared to life as she slammed her door shut, then, slamming her truck into reverse, she pulled out in a rush. I jumped back for fear of her hitting me (though she was far enough away that I was safe anyhow). Slamming her truck into drive, she peeled out of the parking lot and sped down the road and out of sight.

I was crushed. I knew I shouldn't take her words personally, but I couldn't help it. I felt … dark … inside, for lack of better words. My whole self just felt awful. I had failed. I had really failed. I had screwed it all up, and it was all my fault. At least, that's what I believed. Had I been aware of what was going through Fluttershy and Applejack's heads, I might not have felt so awful, but since I didn't have a clue, I was left in the darkness of despair.


She was mad. Fuming even. Truth be told, Fluttershy was actually scared. She had never seen her friend this mad before. Fluttershy was pressed against the window, trying to stay as far away from Applejack as possible. She was so scared. Was AJ going to yell at her? Was she going to get into an accident? Why did she yell at him like that? Was she mad at her? Was it her fault? What did she do? Her mind flashed back to earlier that day when she had talked to her about the pigs. Was she still upset about that? Fluttershy felt awful. This must had been her fault. If only she hadn't been such a crybaby, then Applejack wouldn't have been so upset at her! She started to cry.

Applejack's eye twitched. A quick thought that she shouldn't say what she was about so say flashed through her mind, but it was quickly consumed in her anger. “OH FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD FLUTTERSHY! STOP IT!” she bellowed. “I'm sick of your constant cryin! Knock it off!” she shouted. Her hands were shaking. And she had trouble keeping her focus on the road. Her thoughts were out of control. All she could think about was how mad she was at Fluttershy and at that Taylor fellow. She was madder than she had ever been before. It seemed like everything just made her mood worse. The fact that she had to drive, the other divers, the time it would take to get back home, the fact they had just wasted two hours worth of diesel. Everything just made her madder and madder. Had she been in her right mind, the fact that she had just shouted at her very sensitive friend would also have made her angry.

Had she also been in her right mind, she would have also realized just how much damage her jealous outburst had done. Or rather, she would have realized what her misplaced jealously had done. She had scared one of her best friends, and she also had exploded in someone's face. She had left two people feeling hurt. Not to mention she had ruined their days. Had she been in her right mind, she would have never done these awful things. As it was however, she was not. Had she also been in her right mind, she would have seen that van coming...