• Published 16th Aug 2016
  • 2,174 Views, 40 Comments

Family - Hope Caster



After a talk with Princess Celestia, Spike learns something about his family from an unlikely source. That source is unfortunately Blueblood.

  • ...
1
 40
 2,174

Blueblood

Today was not a good day. Of course, this was nothing new. Blueblood never really had good days; his days were only less terrible. On some days, he might venture to say that his days were adequate, but not today. Today he was exceptionally peeved, as today was an exceptionally bad day. He recalled going into his personal workroom to get some audits done for a local non-profit. In the room, there was a couch, a couple of his favorite books, and a fireplace. When he arrived to the room this morning, there were signs that undesirables had entered. Strands of purple and pink hair were all over the couch, along with several violate scales that no doubt his aunt’s visiting pet had shed, and crumbs from what he assumed were from cake.

He had had talks with Celestia about how the Dragon was to stay out of his rooms, but she ignored him. Common practice when he talked about the little lizard. He decided to try something new. He would go to the Dragon himself and gently tell him, via loud, angry yelling, why he was to stay out of specific rooms in the castle. He once tried posting guards outside his rooms, but none of them dared to stand in the Dragon’s way thanks to his aunt’s threats. In his opinion though, how long was ten years in the dungeon?

Blueblood entered the bedroom that his aunt had on continuous reserve for the Dragon, in case he ever wanted to visit and escape the hick town that Princess Twilight Sparkle currently resided in. The dragon was nowhere to be seen. At least Blueblood knew that he was in the Dragon’s room. The bed was unmade and littered with scales, and the bookshelves housed his garbage comic books. The Dragon was going to rot his brain reading those.

“Disgusting,” Blueblood muttered. Being in the room seemed to only sour his mood further. Before he could turn to leave, something caught his eye. Under the bed was a small twinkle. Trotting toward the bed, he got down on the floor so that his horn just barely entered the darkness. Igniting his horn, Blueblood cast a small ray of light under the bed. There he found a blue book, which he bitterly dragged out from its hiding place. Seeing the decorative cover, he became confused. He personally had read dozens of books with a similar color, albeit the scratches were new.

The book was one of Celestia’s many personal journals, a newer one by the looks of it. He had half a mind to go to Celestia and show her what the Dragon was currently hording. Maybe she’d actually punish the lizard for once instead of just giving him some excuse like she always did. However, some part of Blueblood couldn’t help but wonder what this journal had written in it that caught the Dragon’s interest. Was there a reason he had taken it? Curiosity perhaps, Blueblood did the same when he was younger, and if he was being honest, he was starting to feel that same curiosity now. Maybe he would just take one quick look inside. Yes, just a peek. One small peek wouldn’t change his life, nor how he viewed or treated anyone.


Celestia was comfortable. Her seat was soft, she had her gofer fetch her a slice of cake, because all that was left on the muffin platter was bran muffins, and she would sooner have the food outlawed than eat such a disgusting snack. Best of all, a majority of her work had just been disintegrated by a random blast of sunlight magic. It was probably one of Discord’s pranks, as she would never disintegrate documents. However, something was missing.

She looked towards the empty smaller seat that sat beside her. Spike was off returning her journals, Luna was in her room sleeping, despite it being eleven in the morning, and Blueblood would rather die than make small talk with her nowadays. Blueblood. Some small part of her missed the little prince that ran about the halls causing trouble for servants, reading his adventure books, and playing with various action figures he’d collected, all of which had long since been abandoned.

What happened to him? The answer was obvious, he got older. It was a fact of life that he would change, move on, maybe start a family. But still, part of her hoped that Blueblood would come in and talk to her, no matter the subject.

Her ear twitched when she heard the doorknob jiggle. There was a rising warm feeling in her chest. Maybe today, fate was smiling down on her and she would get an excited Blueblood who was willing to talk to her for hours on end about whatever little thing he was interested in that day, like he used to when he was young.

The door swung open and Blueblood took several steps into the room. He wore a plain expression, but the look in his eyes suggested that he had something on his mind. Blueblood closed the door, and locked it. Strange to be sure, but there certainly weren’t any red flags yet. That was when his horn ignited. Instantly, every wall was coated in a barrier that blocked sound from entering or leaving the room. Very calmly, Blueblood cleared his throat. “Aunt Celestia, I think I need to talk to you about the Dragon.”

Celestia rolled her eyes. This happened every time Spike came to visit. She never understood Blueblood’s hatred for Spike, she just knew that it was there. “Very well Blueblood, air your grievances.”

“I was hoping you’d say that, it makes this a lot easier.” Blueblood took a very deep breath. “You consider Spike your son!?” He cried, dropping a familiar blue book on the ground.

Celestia’s eyes grew wide as her heart came to a sudden stop. Every part of her was now desperate for this conversation to end before it went any farther. “How far did you get?” She found herself asking.

“Far enough to know that you consider Spike your son!”

“Blueblood, you don’t understand, I….” Celestia paused. Blueblood called Spike by his name and not the Dragon. She knew that it annoyed Spike to be called Dragon, and she knew he did it only because it annoyed Spike. She had urged Blueblood to stop, but he was unmoving. Was being the optimal word. “Did you just call him Spike?”

“Yes! It’s one of the many changes I would have made years earlier if I knew about… This!” He cried levitating the journal. “Honestly, if I had known he and I were basically cousins, you can bet I wouldn’t have tried to sell him to the circus when he was thirteen months old!”

“You tried to do what?!”Celestia shouted, her eyes glowing yellow in pure rage at the statement.

“Please, I didn’t get far. In case you don’t recall, you assigned a bodyguard to him after the Twilight Incident. The brute stopped me the moment I tried to leave the castle grounds with Spike.” The reaction was typical of Celestia. She was an emotional Princess to be sure, but she lacked the logic to let some bygones be bygones. After all, he could have tried worse.

He was originally thinking about selling Spike to a foodie he once knew in Griffon Stone. The fat old bird had wanted to taste dragon for a long time, and was offering a handsome price for a whelp or an egg. Why a whelp? Because a whelp was likely to be much more tender, and flavorful, than adults, not to mention much easier to put down, and Spike was pleasantly plump in his younger years. However, Blueblood decided against the idea once he heard Spike giggle, reach out for him, followed by something that sounded like Blueblood’s name. Something also went on in his chest. After doing some research, he discovered that either his heart skipped a beat, or he had arrhythmia.

“Look I can tell by the twitching eye that you’re upset, but need I remind you that Spike is currently here in the castle and not part of the freak show?”

“You were going to sell him to the freak show?!”

“Where else would he go? I mean, I guess the petting zoo would work for the first few years. Actually, he would have made an adorable assistant, perhaps he could’ve help with stage magic….We’re getting off track. Why did you never say anything to me or to him for heaven’s sake!” Blueblood began to pace about the room mumbling to himself. “Celestia, I’ve been treating him like an animal in need of housebreaking. I should have been treating him like a boy in need of housebreaking! Damn it, he should know the fundamentals of being a Prince!”

“Like you?”

“Of course like me!” Blueblood snapped. “Who else? Shining Armor? We both know Cadance settled hard! Besides, he’s more whipped than that Changeling we have in the dungeon. ‘Like you?’ Like there’s another Prince as sophisticated as I.”

“Don’t forgot humble, Blueblood.”

“I appreciate the compliment, despite the blatant sarcasm. Honestly why didn’t you say anything?”

Celestia, in all her wisdom, needed to think for a moment. Why did she never say anything? It was a loaded question to be sure. Not to say she didn’t have any answers, in fact she had countless answers. The first of which was one of her favorites. Because he’d hate her for not being honest. What mother just hoofs him off nearly every chance she gets to a student that has trouble accepting that she got a ninety-seven instead of a ninety-eight? Another was because he’d pity her. She was such a lonely, unfulfilled mare that she had tried to fill that hole inside her using a whelp that she couldn’t even hope to hatch, who had to rely on ten year-olds to do it for her. Maybe if she were likeable, she could actually have a real family. One that she dreaded was that because he’d know she failed him. Where was she when he went on a rampage? Where was she when he stared down Sombra? Where was she when she sent so many letters she physically injured him? That last one kept her up late a few weeks after she’d done it.

As Celestia sat deep in thought, Blueblood sat annoyed as he waited for an answer he knew he would probably never receive. It was strange, his aunt could stare down the Spirit of Chaos just fine, but saying ‘Spike, I’m your mom!’ was just a step too far into the danger zone. Then again, the latter couldn’t be solved with friendship rainbows. “You know what Celestia, I’m just going to go,” Blueblood said, flipping through the book and folding the corners of several pages. Dissipating his barrier, he turned and began to march out of the room.

“Blueblood, where are you going?”

“I’m going to enact a master plan called Blueblood Solves Everything.”


“Where is it!?” Spike cried as he tore through his room, looking for the last journal. When he began his search, he found all the journals save for the blue one he’d been reading last night. He looked under the bed where it should have been, but found nothing. He looked through his sheet and blankets and found nothing. He looked through every draw that he could remove, only to find the emergency gemstones he kept in case he got hungry.

There were only two explanations for what could have happened. The first was that he’d somehow lost the journal. The second, and frankly more logical answer in his mind, was that Sombra had risen from the grave and enacted a dastardly plan to separate him from Rarity. Without Rarity, how was he supposed to harness the power of love to defeat him? Either way, when Celestia looked to see if all the journals were in her room, he’d be banned from seeing Rarity for two months. What was going to happen after that? Would she move on to someone that wouldn’t treat her as well as he could? Without that last journal, the answer would probably be yes, and with his luck, the stallion that would win her affection would be Blueblood.

Perhaps with some convincing, Celestia would go easy on him. She could take away dinner and snacks for about two years. He didn’t need food when he had Rarity. Then again, Celestia wouldn’t dream of doing that. She constantly told him that as a growing dragon, he needed to eat right and get to bed on time. Spike’s train of thought came to a halt as a voice called out to him.

“There you are; I’ve been looking everywhere for you, Spike!”

The voice’s deep and regal tone echoed in the room, sending a small chill up across Spike’s scales. Praying a prayer that he knew would go unanswered, Spike slowly began to turn towards the door to see a white unicorn with a flowing blonde mane.

“Blueblood.” Spike growled. Blueblood and Spike had never been on the best of terms. At best, they hated each other more than Discord hated saying Friendship is Magic. Blueblood saw Spike as nothing but a nuisance, and Spike saw Blueblood as that jerk who mouthed off to Rarity and used her as a meat shield.

“Did you honestly just growl at me?” Blueblood asked. “And what on Earth did you do to this room?”

Spike looked around the torn up bedroom. It wasn’t that bad. Sure, every draw was torn out of its slot, emptied, and thrown in a random direction, blankets and sheets were tossed haphazardly on the floor, and the mattress had been pushed up against a wall, but there wasn’t a fire this time.

“I lost a book.” Spike admitted. “Princess Celestia really wants me to find it.”

“She wanted you to find a book!” Blueblood scoffed. “Well, I guess that makes this mess okay then. What book could you have lost…” Blueblood paused, shaking his head as if realizing what it was that Spike was looking for. Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes and counted to ten. It was a stress reliever that Cadence had thought him long ago, and he could say with absolute certainty that it worked. But that was beside the point. Lighting his horn, Blueblood lifted a blue book from behind his back and calmly said, “Here, I marked a few pages I think you should read.”

Spike let out a small gasp. He jumped up and grabbed the journal from Blueblood’s aura. He was saved, and it was thanks to Blueblood. He didn’t know why Blueblood was helping him, but it didn’t matter. All Blueblood was asking him to do was read a book as thanks. Spike paused for a moment. For some reason, Blueblood wanted him to read the journal. The thing that started this entire debacle. Blueblood, who hated Spike more than anything, wanted him to read the journal. Spike’s eyes narrowed. “Why should I?” he asked, holding the book close to his chest.

Blueblood leaned in and whispered something to Spike.

Spike’s eyes grew wide. “Are you serious?” He asked, a small smile breaking across his face.

“Yes.”

“No take backs?”

“No take backs,” Blueblood confirmed.

“Why?”

“Because you really need to read that book.”


Blueblood Solves Everything was something that Celestia never heard often. There was only one thing Blueblood could solve, and that was tensions between nations. Despite being egotistical and a bit shallow, Blueblood was an excellent negotiator, and could sell venom to a snake along with a new pair of fangs. The fact still remained that this was not what Blueblood was used to. Spike was not Prince Rutherford, nor was he the Griffon King, the Queen of the Outlands, or even a local politician. It was fair to say that Blueblood was out of his depth on this, and any action he chose to take might very well end up backfiring. Part of her was worried about what Spike would find out, and where it would lead the both of them.

Celestia’s ears perked up as the door to the office opened with a small creak. She turned her head to see Spike, slowly shuffling into the room.

“Spike?” she asked, receiving no response. Instead, for some reason unknown to her, he sat next to her. “Spike?” she repeated. Remaining silent, he leaned to his left and rested his head against her side. “Spike?” She asked one last time.

“I read the journal,” He finally stated. There was no emotion in his voice. It was almost as if everything in his brain that made him Spike was off. “I didn’t read what I read last time. Blueblood marked a few pages.” He twiddled his thumbs for a few moments. “Was I bad growing up?” He asked, simply for the sake of asking.

“No!” Celestia answered forcefully. She cleared her throat before continuing, using a much more calm and dignified voice. “No, you were perfect. A little adventurous during parties, but still perfect.”

“Adventurous?”

“You got around when you were little,” Celestia said calmly. It was an understatement. When he was a baby, Spike constantly managed to escape most of his carriers, his crib, and even magic force fields that Celestia put around him to try to keep him contained for five minutes. It was when he escaped that trouble would start, normally taking herself, Cadence or Blueblood to end his rampage. His rampage normally consisted of chewing on a guard’s tail and crying when it was pulled away from him, finding nice warm places to sleep, or pulling a tablecloth off a table. Spike would normally end up covered in food when he did that. Celestia scolded him for making a mess of things, but the laughter that he elicited from her and bystanders seemed to make it moot. Not Twilight or Blueblood though. They could scold Spike something fierce, and normally reduced him to tears.

“Did I cause trouble?” Spike asked.

“Not as much as some ponies I could name.”

“Blueblood?”

“Yes, but there were others. There was a filly that needed constant supervision when she was younger, and then there was Twilight. Spike, know that I love Twilight more than anything, but never forget that she did some questionable things when she was younger.”

“Like what?”

“She had trouble leaving precious cargo where it was supposed to be, like her brother.” The last part carried some bitterness to it, though Spike could not pick up on it.

The two sat in silence for a short while, neither knowing how to proceed. There was one question in particular that Spike wanted to ask, but he was unsure of how to ask it. In fact, part of him did not want to ask it, simply because the answer could be something that he regretted hearing. However, if he had let fear stand in his way when Blueblood had told him to read the book, or when he was slowly entering the room, he would not have come this far.

“Why didn’t you ever say anything?” He finally asked.

There was just the smallest change in Celestia, she twitched, as if something had been driven into her chest. Tilting her head down, and using her magic, Celestia picked Spike and his seat up and placed them in front of her. Wrapping her wings around him, she pulled him close to her chest. She breathed heavily for a short while before finally finding the words to speak.

“I was scared,” she said softly. “I’m not the best mother, just like how I wasn’t the best sister. I just kept thinking, 'maybe it will solve itself.' That’s what I thought with Luna, and that’s what I thought with you.” Celestia trembled as she let out a soft giggle, “And then, probably because he was annoyed with me, somepony else had to solve the problem. Just like with Luna, just like with Discord, just like with Chrysalis, and just like with Sombra.” Her legs wrapped around Spike as her entire body began to tremble.

He didn’t know exactly what is was that fell on his head, but Spike felt the tiniest drop of water splash fall on him. Shifting himself around, Spike wrapped his arms around Celestia’s neck.

“I’m so sorry Spike,” she whimpered, her hair, obscuring the top part of her face. "I'm so, so sorry."

Spike buried himself into her chest. “Hey, Mom,” he said softly, “it’s okay, you don’t have to apologize. I’m sorry for seeing it sooner.”

She let out a broken laugh as two stream of tears became visible. He didn’t see a need for her to apologize. He called her mom. He was apologizing to her for doing nothing wrong. Why was someone like her blessed with the world's most kind hearted boy? “Spike,” she said, fighting back her sobs, “don’t think you need to apologize to me. You have nothing to be sorry for.” The two held each other for the longest time until a knock came at the door.

“Did we have our moment of clarity?” Blueblood asked, peeking into to the room.

Wiping her eyes and regaining some of her composer, Celestia said, “Yes, I think we did. Thank you, Blueblood.”

The Prince smiled a smile that he only smiled when he had officially solved everything he could. “That is marvelous. Come Spike, you and I have work to do.”

“Wait, what?” Spike asked as he was lifted up in Blueblood’s aura. “But I just called her mom, we just connected! You can’t take me away from this!”

Blueblood thought for a moment. “Well, Spike, there seems to be a problem with that statement, because I can, I did, and Aunt Celestia, I need you to fill this out,” Blueblood said, sliding a form with the titled XJ795. “We’ll see you at dinner!” he said, winking at her as he left the room with a protesting Spike.

“Where are we going?!” Spike shouted as he thrashed around in the aura.

“Oh, well, you see Spike, since you now know that your mother is the ruler of a nation, that makes you a prince.”

“And?!”

“Spike, do you know the first thing about being in a high class soiree?”

“Sneak away and go to the doughnut shop?”

“And that is the type of thinking we are going to fix.”

Author's Note:

Special thanks to Inferno Demon Dash for helping me. If you like this story, then you should check out his work here.