• Published 10th Feb 2015
  • 4,222 Views, 147 Comments

Midnight's wish - Sugarcube66



When a young filly turns up on Twilight's doorstep, in the middle of a stormy night, coated in bruises, Twilight takes her in but is in for a shock when she discovers who the filly is.

  • ...
14
 147
 4,222

School troubles

Monday came quickly, and now Nyx and Midnight stood outside the beautiful red building that was the schoolhouse. The taller black alicorn looked down at the miniature 9 year old, who eyes grip in fear and frowned sadly. Nyx sighed quietly before speaking. ''Nervous about meeting other foals, aren't you?''

Midnight remembered her meeting with Screwball, as another flash of blood erupted into her mind making her pale. But she stabilized herself pretty quickly to try not to make Nyx worry and she simply nodded. Nyx frowned, she had seen whatever color that the filly processed drain from her already white cheeks.

''Come on. Remember, I'll be there so don't worry about bullies or anypony who threatens to heard you verbally, physically or simply by accident.''

Night smiled at Nyx, though sadness, like always, grip her eyes. Nyx smiled sadly and led the small 9 year old into the building. Cheerilee was standing inside the building, waiting for the time to bring the foals into the building when she saw the two fillies enter the red building. The mulberry earth pony smiled and walked over. ''Nyx, I suppose this is the filly that your mother ask me to enroll?''

''Yes, Miss Cheerilee. This is Midnight Wish. I suppose mommy also told you that she is easily frightened, sometimes just by the mention of her name.'' said Nyx, calmly.

''Twilight did tell me indeed but do not fret. She's in good hooves.''

The alicorn filly smiled and turned to Midnight. ''Night, stay inside. I'm going to play with the crusaders before we are called into the building. At break, I'll introduce them to you but for now, just stay here with Cheerilee.''

Night nodded gently, and watched as the 10 year old walked out of the building. The pegasus then looked up at Cheerilee, who smiled down at her. ''Now, Midnight was it?'' said Cheerilee, calmly. ''When everypony comes in, I'll introduce you to them so don't worry about speaking in front of 15 other ponies.''

Night nodded gently, not speaking a word and instead just stood next to the desk, in front of a picture easel that held a three words 'The pony types' in bold black. Cheerilee smiled down at the filly. Soon the school bells rung and children scrambled into the classroom. As soon as all the chairs were filled, Cheerilee began speaking. ''Good morning, everypony. Before we start our lesson, I like to introduce a new student into our class.'' She motioned to Night. ''This is Midnight Wish, she'll be joining us for now on.''

Suddenly, a colt spoke from the back row. ''But, Miss Cheerilee, isn't she too young to be in the fifth grade?''

''I know she's small, but truth be told she's actually nine years old like most of you, and according to her guardian, her birthday is only next month. Now, everypony treat her with respect.'' Cheerilee then turned to Night and said gently. ''There's a free seat behind Nyx, that'll be your seat for now.''

''O-okay...'' murmured Night, before she went and sat behind the alicorn filly who smiled at her.

''Now, class. Today, we'll be learning about the four pony types. In fact, we have all four here today. Now, each type have a specific talent....''


Night was smiling brightly, as she took notes. She earlier had been told to act like a normal pegasus, and to not use her wand because Twilight didn't want her cutie mark to be seen by others so Night had to use her mouth to write, which was uncomfortable but she was okay with it. The lesson was fascinating to her, learning about the four pony types wasn't her skill but she liked it.

The clock was ticking, it was almost break time and most of the fillies and colts wanted to get out of the classroom to stretch their legs. Cheerilee finished talking about unicorn magic and turned to the class, speaking only a few words. ''Now, before we head out into break. Does anypony have a question.'' Cheerilee was a little surprised when a white hoof was raised into the air, instead of a black one. A white hoof that belonged to Midnight who had been asking various questions that day. ''Go on, Midnight. What is your question?''

''Miss, if unicorns can grip hold of their magic via training, pegasi magic is their flight, cloud walking and ability to control the weather and earth pony magic is their strength to cultivate the land. What is alicorn magic?'' asked the pegasus filly, gaining some glares from Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.

''Well, alicorn magic is a different type of magic. Truth be told, it is all three in harmony within the alicorn's body. They have the magical abilities of unicorns, the flight of pegasi and the strength and warm hearts of earth ponies.''

''Then why do we neither see them control the weather or cultivate the land?''

''Well, alicorns are in a higher class. Being a alicorn means your royalty in a sense, so there isn't a need to cultivate the land or control the weather. Plus when there are already many pegasi and many earth ponies, why would they need to?''

''I see....''

''Now, does that answer your question?''

''Uh huh!'' nodded Midnight, with a smile.

The class sighed in relief, as Cheerilee sent them out to play. Midnight was one of the last to leave. She walked out of the building and was instantly confronted by Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. The two glared angrily at the small filly, who began shaking nervously. Diamond smirked at the shaking. ''Scared, are we? Well you should be!''

''Yea, anypony who makes us late for break is damn right rude, you little nerd.'' said Silver Spoon, glaring down at the small filly.

A tears trickled down Night's face. She had only asked a question, why were they being so mean to her. She weakly tried to fight back by saying. ''A-all....I asked....was a question.....''

''A question that made us late for break! You know, I hate being locked up inside that classroom when we could be out here enjoying the last warmth before winter kicks in but no, you had to go and shorten our break time just so you could asked a question! A questioned that could have waited till after break!'' roared Diamond, in the cowering filly's face.

''I agree, DT.''

''It's not just that, but your entire appearances puts me off. Your a pegasus, with a body of a five year old! Not to mention, you have a ridiculously hideous outfit, at least I can look at Nyx's outfit and not be put off by it, but yours. Ew! Blue and purple aren't suppose to go together and what the heck with that horrendous bow on the top of your head and the one on your vest too!'' stated Diamond Tiara, with a disgusted face.

''And what's with the wing coverage!? Who wears wing coverage!?''

''I have no idea, but lets get rid of this outfit.'' said Diamond Tiara, before she pushed Night off balance and into a nearby mud puddle. During the fall, the filly's vest came undone and fell off into the mud but it also revealed the filly's still bandaged waist and cutie mark. The filly, now coated in mud, cried.

''Aw, look. The little muddy tramp is a crybaby.'' mocked Silver Spoon.

''Is that your special talent, crybaby.''

''Special talent. Hey look at her cutie mark, what is that?''

''Aw, so she's a tramp, a crybaby and a baby?!'' laughed DT. ''Only babies play with toy wands.''

''And what is with that bandage, why is she wearing it. Does she have something to hide?''

''Maybe, lets take it off.'' grinned Diamond, before she suddenly lost balance and fell into another mud puddle.

''Ah, Diamond!''

''What the hell, DT?'' said Nyx, appearing out of nowhere with a rock in her hoof. ''Teasing my little sister like that. And just because she has a bandage around her waist, doesn't mean she is hiding anything.''

The alicorn didn't even realize what she had called Midnight, but the crying filly did take notice of the word 'little sister'. Silver Spoon quickly wiped Diamond's tiara and placed it back on the furious earth pony's head. ''H-here, Diamond. Your tiara.''

Diamond glared at the sliver earth pony, and then glared at Nyx. ''What's your problem, Nightmare Nyx.''

''My problem is with you bullying an inno-'' The alicorn stopped briefly when she saw Night's shake under the word 'innocent'. ''A harmless filly about her cutie mark, her bandage and her outfit. Do you think she deserves your treatment of her?''

''Ah perfectly agree, Nyx.'' said Applebloom, from the side of Nyx. ''Quit thinkin' yer on top, Diamond Tiara.''

''Oh, Applebloom, you blank flank. I am on top, my daddy owns your barn. If you told him that I was supposedly bullying you then he might just buying your products and reclaim his ownership and then what would you be, southern freak!''

Applebloom glared at the mare, before turning to Dinky. ''Dinks, ya think ya could?''

''Alright. Stand back, girls.'' said the unicorn filly, as the other fillies stepped back. The filly's horn lit up in a beautiful aura of golden that striked Diamond Tiara, and turned her into a pink pig. The filly turned pig oinked in angry before running off, Silver following. Dinky giggled before sending another bolt of her magic to turn the filly back to normal.

''Good work, Dink.'' said Nyx, before she walked over to still scared Midnight. ''You alright?''

''W-why....did you call...me 'little....sister'....?'' stuttered the small 9 year old.

''Oh, well....uh, how do I explain this?'' murmured Nyx. ''Well, lets say you're becoming like a little sis to me.''

''Oh....'' mumbled Night, before gently smiling with tears still in her eyes. ''.....But....t-thanks you....thank you all....''

''You're welcome, Night.'' said Sweetie Belle, as she walked up to Midnight and put a hoof on the tiny filly's shoulder.

''Now, lets introduce you. Little sis.'' said Nyx, with a bright smile. ''Girls, this is my adoptive 'little sister', Midnight Wish.''

''Hiya, Night. Ah'm Applebloom.'' said the cream earth pony.

''Hi! I'm Sweetie Belle.'' said the marshmallow unicorn.

''Hey! I'm scootaloo!'' said the orange pegasus.

''Hi, Nighty. I'm Twist.'' said the white-cream earth pony.

''And hi! I'm Dinky Doo Hooves!'' said the periwinkle unicorn.

''Now, we all know each other.'' said Nyx, with a smile. ''You can join our club, if you want. The Cutie Mark Crusaders.''

''O-okay....'' smiled Night, with happy tears forming in her eyes.


2 weeks past since Night begin school and join the CMC. Twilight, Spike and the pets had gotten use to having the small filly around. Even Spike had said that he would have liked it if Night were to stay with them forever. Nyx agreed with the baby dragon, because she had already began referring to the sweet filly as 'little sis'.

One day was when the big chance happened. Night and Nyx had just come home after playing with the CMC. Twilight was sat in the living room in front of the warm fire. She saw the two fillies go past and called out. ''Nyx, Night. Come here, please.''

The two fillies looked at each other and nodded, walking into the living room and sat on the opposite sofa. Nyx looked at a envelope that laid on the table, but didn't questioned it. Twilight didn't address Nyx, but instead Night. ''Night, you remember when I said you could stay till I came up with a decision.''

''Y-you're....gonna...s-send...me....a-away.....a-aren't you.....'' cried Night, stutterly.

''Mom...please don't tell me that is true.'' mumbled Nyx.

Twilight giggled a little and handed Night the envelope. ''Read it.''

Night blinked, through tear filled eyes and opened the envelope. She read along the words, before gasping and having her eyes fill with even more tears: tears of happiness and joy. Nyx noticed this and read the letter from over her 'little sister's' shoulder and smiled. ''You're becoming her legal guardian.''

''That's right, I didn't want to send her away and cause her even more pain. She's happy here, I don't believe she would be anywhere else, so she is staying.'' said Twilight, with a smile. Night sniffled and ran over to Twilight, hugging the mare. ''Night, one thing. You can call me anything you want from now on.''

''....I-I....think....I'll continue...calling you....'Twilight'....for now....'' sniffled Night.

''You can call me anything you want.''

Nyx smiled at the heartwarming scene, before saying gently. ''Looks like you're staying, little sis.''

Night looked at her big sister, with a smile filled with happy tears but didn't speak as she continued hugging Twilight. Twilight smiled brightly, as she hugged the filly close to her heart. She was now the tiny filly's legal guardian and she wasn't gonna let anypony take Night away from her and harm her in anyway.

Author's Note:

Correct me if I'm wrong about Nyx and Midnight being in the fifth grade (9-10) and in my opinion (Mainly because of my school years) their school year go from September to July.