• Published 10th Feb 2015
  • 4,229 Views, 147 Comments

Midnight's wish - Sugarcube66



When a young filly turns up on Twilight's doorstep, in the middle of a stormy night, coated in bruises, Twilight takes her in but is in for a shock when she discovers who the filly is.

  • ...
14
 147
 4,229

Next Morning Magic [Rewritten]

Night transitioned into day rather quickly. The first up in the castle was Starlight, who naturally woke early. She had already made her breakfast and set out for the day to help Trixie with magic tricks and such. Spike was up second and was quick to begin making breakfast for the rest of the household members, as he knew Starlight had already left as she left when he woke up. But the problem with him cooking is that he was gonna only make 3 portions, not yet knowing about the new filly in the household. Luckily, Twilight walked into the kitchen as he began to cook. The dragon noticed a tiny saddle bag on the mare's back, but chose not to question it.

"Spike, I know this may sound a little weird at the moment. But I need you to make four plates, if that's alright with you,'' she said, looking at her number one assistant. She sat down on one of the wooden seats that Spike used to reach the sink when washing up. She had left Midnight to her sleeping, since the filly was still out like a light when she woke up. She had also heard Nyx about a little while back, so knew the alicorn filly would be down soon.

"May I ask why?" Spike asked, as he began work on getting more ingredients so that he had enough to make four bowls of the cereal he was making. By the tone in his voice, it was clear that he was quite curious by the need for four bowls when Starlight had already left for the day and had made her own.

"It's a long story, so I'll condense it a little. Remember how I was reading up last night," when he nodded, she continued. "Well, somepony knocked on the door. Quite confused, I answered it and discovered a little filly. Her name is Midnight Wish and I'm afraid that she may have a neglectful or abusive family so I'm letting her stay here for a little while, until I discovered what to do with her."

"So, basically. You're taking in another filly, when you don't even truly know their background. I believe you’re a little too kind sometimes, Twi. But I can understand if your concerned about her household situation. I'm fine with her staying her, but at the moment, I can't say the same about Starlight and Nyx. You'll have to ask them yourself," the dragon replied, as he put the cereal mix in the microwave. Turning the dial with his claw, he turned to look back at Twilight. "I hope you know what you’re doing. The last time this happened, well...you know."

"I understand, Spike. But it won't turn out like it did with Nyx, I'll make perfectly sure of that so don't you worry," the expression on the mare's face spoke complete confidence, before she stood up and began to walk out of the kitchen door. She turned back once more and said. "I'll be in the dining hall, so when you’re done. Just call and I'll help bring the bowls through."

She walked out of the kitchen and into the dining hall, she sighed as she sat down. Remembering her talk with Midnight the night before, the filly's past was still a complete mystery. Even her cutie mark was a mystery, it was hard to determine what had transpired in the pegasus' past to leave her in that state, but it wasn't good for sure. She levitated the saddle bag off her back and stared at it with sadness. It was obviously Midnight's, but why the filly left it outside in the bush Twilight had discovered it in that morning was confusing. The mare unbuckled the wand shaped clip and looked within, only to see some rotten scraps that looked weeks old. The smell alone made her want to hurl up the pancakes from the night before. But there was also a wand on a strap attached to the side of the bag, it looked exactly like the wand in the filly's cutie mark.

Was it possible to transfer magic into a wand, converting it from the filly's natural pegasus magic into unicorn magic? That was the only thing that Twilight could come up with as to why the filly seemed to have a cutie mark in magic. Hoof steps brought Twilight back into reality; she turned to see her adoptive daughter, Nyx. The alicorn filly's black coat and regal purple mane stood out from a mile away, because of how unnatural black coats were. Dark gray, yes. Black, no. "Good morning, Nyx. Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah, I did," she moaned a little, as she came and took her place. Twilight could hear the filly's rumbling tummy from about a few minutes prior. "I can't wait to eat and then see the CMC."

"Well, Spike is making cereal. So that can solve your hunger," Twilight said, giggling a little. Suddenly, a loud crash was heard. The mare and filly flinched a little at the sound. Twilight looked outside of dining hall to see Midnight sprawled out on the floor by the staircase. It didn't take a genius to figure out that the pegasus had fallen down a least a couple of steps. "You alright, Midnight?"

The tiny filly grumbled a little at herself as she pulled herself up onto her hooves. She looked at Twilight and nodded slowly to say that she was indeed alright, even though she was a little more scuffed up then she was the night before. Luckily, she had only fallen a couple of steps because Owlowiscious had accidentally scared her. Forcing herself up, her gentle yellow eyes meet with Nyx’s piercing turquoise ones. Only moments later, Midnight watched as the alicorn filly turned to Twilight and asked. “So, mom. Who’s this?”

“Oh, her name is Midnight Wish,” smiled Twilight, before turning to the tiny pegasus before her and then continuing. “Midnight, this is my adoptive daughter. Her name is Nyx, she’s 10 years old.”

“Oh….” whispered the little filly, before blinking and replying. “…Midnight Wish, 9 years old...though, I’ll be 10 in only 2 months…,” presently, it was September so that put the little filly’s birthday somewhere in November.

A nod came before the reply, as the older alicorn smiled gently. “I had figured you’d be about 9, come on. Let’s go and eat, shall we?”

Shortly after the three ponies were sat, Spike came over with the bowls of cereal. Settling in to eat, Midnight couldn’t help…but feel left out amongst the group. They all knew one another and so, she felt like she was intruding into their family. As she picked at her food, Twilight must have realized something was up as she spoke softly. "Midnight, I know you feel uncomfortable. But don't worry, you're welcome to stay as long as you need."

"Welcome..." echoed Midnight in her quiet voice, she wasn't sure on whether to believe the statement or not. At the end of the day, she was just a stray foal that Twilight had found. Surely, the alicorn mare would want rid of her? With a mild sigh, she continued to eat.

Watching carefully, Twilight noticed the near struggle that the filly was having to simply pick up the piece of cereal. Despite her birth right as a pegasus, it seemed that Midnight was more like a unicorn. Having a magic-based cutie mark, having struggles picking things up. It was very much like she was a unicorn in a pegasus body. Thinking swiftly, Twilight remembered about the bag that had came along with the young foal and levitated the wand in front of Midnight. "Maybe this will help you."

Midnight's eyes filled with surprise at the sight of her wand, looking up at Twilight. But she nodded and closed her eyes as she focused her magic into the wand and within only a mere few moments, the pieces of cereal were levitating and entering her mouth. The act of magic surprised Nyx and Spike, who both hadn't been expecting it. But Twilight smiled, glad to see that Midnight was more able with her magic activated like that. However, the obvious question was going to arise sooner or later. "Um, Miss Twilight..." as Midnight spoke, her eyes downcast and cheeks seem to glow. "H-how did you find it..."

"Well, it had been left in a bush not far from the castle. Not too hard," came the response, though the older alicorn wasn't done talking. "So, would you ever be able to explain how that wand works. It looks very similar to unicorn magic when you use it."

Now, Twilight had expected for the filly to deny explaining. But instead, there was a ton of surprise in the pegasus' eyes, like she had never expected someone to ask how her magic worked. Stumbling a little, Midnight push the wand back on the table and poked at it. "...That wand, it's nothing more than....a tool. It's not magical in any way....it's function is to transfer types of magic. My main magic is pegasus....clear by this...wings...," she said gently, turning to the wings that were resting on her bandages.

Twilight nodded, coaxing the young foal to continue. Even Spike and Nyx seemed invested in the idea that you could transfer types of magic. After the mild coaxing, the youngest filly continued. "...My pegasus magic is dormant...as my wings are nothing more then decoration, due to.....magical interference in my body. Thus, it's rather useless....so I can use the dormant magic.....and change it, morph it into unicorn magic.....as my body processes a lot of unicorn magic, but I can't access it without that trigger..."

"I see, well. Definitely interesting that you managed to change something like your dormant magic into something more useful," Twilight smiled. "So, when you say your wings are decoration. What do you mean by that."

"Oh....basically, I cannot fly and my wings haven't grown since my birth..." she looked at the tiny, frail wings. They certainly were similar to that of a baby's wings. Despite all the talking she had just done, Midnight went silent and continuing to eat with her magic once more.

It wasn't long before everypony was done eating their cereal, Nyx ran off to go see her friends and Spike went to clean up the bowls. This let Midnight and Twilight together in the dining room, the filly was still averting the mare's gaze. However, she finally looked up when the alicorn spoke. "I want to introduce you to my friends today, so we can prepare you for going to school and such."

"Alright," came the shy reply, Midnight was so nervous to meet new ponies. How could she not be nervous with her backstory, she looked down and thought to herself. 'Would things be different.....if I hadn't been separated from Midday during that storm...?"

Author's Note:

This chapter was obviously very much rewritten, with new scenes that explain some events.