• Published 6th Feb 2015
  • 2,746 Views, 24 Comments

A Starry Nightmare - Princess Star Gazer



It has been four years since Twilight's rise to princess-hood, but now she is having nightmares that keep coming true. When one nightmare show someone close to Twilight getting hurt, can she find somepony in the night to help her?

  • ...
5
 24
 2,746

The Tree Thieves, The Royal Pain, and a 'Friendly' Reunion

Discord and Luna walked around to the castle's bridge, walked across, took a left, and found themselves at the stairs to the Tree of Harmony. Now all they had to do was get the elements out of the tree, not an easy fast if you think about it. They only pony to ever come close to getting the elements out without the tree allowing, was Twilight.

She wasn't using the elements directly during the final fight with Terek, but the tree had allowed them to used the power of the elements but not the real elements.

So now they were standing at the tree.Discord ran a claw through his mane as he walked toward the tree. It was all he could do not to run from that place as fast as he could. He was nervous and jumpy, he just wanted to get the elements and get back to Twilight. The thought of the elements in his grasp made him think of his old self. The chaotic one.

Both of them knew they had a short time before Twilight would wake up and go looking for them. I know she wouldn’t like it but we have to get the elements to her before she has the nightmare again. After that we have to tell the rest of the Elements of Harmony about Twilight and get them here now. At least we can have them here if they need to use the elements. Luna thought as she walked closer to the tree.

“Luna, what if the others can’t use the elements without Twilight? Are you sure we shouldn’t go get sun butt… I mean Celestia.” Discord smiled sheepishly.

“It would be a good idea, but I don’t think she would agree with what we are going to do tonight, now would she?” Luna raised her eyebrows at Discord, and lit up her horn. But no matter how hard she tried nothing changed with the tree or the elements that were hiding inside of it.

“Here let me try.” Discord stepped forward but still no matter what he tried he couldn’t do anything to the tree. “You know who I think could do this.” Discord looked over at Luna as he caught his breath; literally, he was wearing a baseball glove and was catching the word “Breath” as it floated past him.

Luna giggled at his silliness but was serious again immediately afterword. She suggested that they try it at the same time. When they did this, a bolt of blue spark shot back at them.

They both knew what they had to do, but it wouldn’t be easy on her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight walked alone toward the Tree of Harmony. Just five minutes ago she was told the hard truth about what needed to be done to save her from Nightmare Moon.

“Twilight, in order to dispel Nightmare from you, we will need to reenact the spell that brought her here. But to do that we need something that ties you to this reality, not to Nightmare. So we need to get the elements out of the Tree” Luna looked away from Twilight. “But we will have to destroy them.

Now walking toward it, Twilight knew this was possibly the worse thing she was ever going to do. She was going to go get the things that brought her friends and herself together, not to mention the only things that keep this country safe, and destroy them. Well, not if the Tree won’t let her take them.

At the base of the Tree, Twilight put her hoof up to the picture of her cutie mark. Sighing deeply to herself she looked up at each of the branches gasped out loud.

The elements were out and gently floating in front of their corresponding branches. All of them that is except the pinkish purple six pointed star. Why isn’t it out too? Taking the other five in her magic and setting them gently down on the ground, she placed her hoof on the picture again. Suddenly the scene changed, everything was different. It was dark and light, that time between the Day and the Night.

Twilight

In the East the Moon was rising and in the West the Sun was setting. But as time went on Twilight realized that neither was moving, so Twilight used her magic to move them both in time. It came so easily to her that it startled her. Then she realized something else, she was a fully grown Alicorn.

Not only this, but she was all alone. There was not a soul around her, just the Sun and the Moon. Looking down at the rest of her new body, she found she was wearing a five charmed necklace. Before Twilight could get a good look at it, she was back at the tree, with her element atop her head.

Returning the way she came with all six elements floating in her magic she thought about what the future would bring for her. Back in the old ballroom she watched as Discord walked around in a perfect circle painting a white circle on the ground. Luna was painting a purple six sided star.

Discord looked up when he was done and saw what Twilight was holding. He poofed up next to her, pulled her into a head lock, and ruffled her mane. “I told you she could do it!” He held her in his arms the way a child held a doll as Luna flew over to them and took the elements in her own magic.

“Now that we have these, we need to go get that journal that you and your friends write in.” So Discord took Twilight with him, only if she promised to stay away from her friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~

At Twilight’s castle in Ponyville five ponies walked out, all of them exhausted after a long day. All day long they had been looking around Canterlot for Twilight, Luna, and Discord. Every inch was searched but to no avail, they were nowhere to be seen. In the morning they would search the Ever Free Forest after they checked around Ponyville.

The minute the group walk inside, Spike was out for the count. Applejack tucked him into Twilight’s bed and all of them started to walk to Rarity’s shop. Not a one of them wanted to be alone tonight. So Rarity suggested that they all stay at her place.

Walking toward the center of town they stopped when they heard a strange noise. Something in between a laugh and a scream, and it sounded very familiar. At first look it was just two figures playfully tickling each other, one losing terribly. Upon a closer look, they saw it was Discord and a hooded pony. The hooded one transported away but Discord just stood there with his claw and paw crossed.

“All right Discord where is she, where is Twilight?” Rainbow sounded very convincing but silence that fallowed was so think it you could cut through it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

At this time in Canterlot a tall, white alicorn made a sudden realization. “If Luna were to run off where would be the most likely place she would go?” Celestia paced toward her throne and back toward the door. “And if Discord and Twilight were with her, where do they all have in common? It must be somewhere we haven’t looked yet.” Celestia took flight just as a guard walked in.

“Your Highness, I have news from….” He looked around to find no pony anywhere. “If I lose any more Princesses in the next year, I’m going to retire!” He ran off the way he came to try and find yet another missing princess.

~~~~~~~~~~~

“Luna please get out here! Twilight, Discord!? Where are you?” Celestia walked into the ballroom and saw Luna sitting down on a light blue pillow, reading a very old book. “Is this what you have been doing all this time, READING?!”

“No dear sister, I have been trying to save your most faithful student.”

Speak of the Devil, Discord and Twilight poofed into the room, landing on the pillows they had been laying on before. “SUN BUTT.” Discord said it in the most extremely faked happy voice it made Luna burst into giggles as ‘sun butt’ blushed profoundly.

“Good evening, Princess.” Twilight tried to sound as casual as possible.

“Good evening? Is all you have to say after weeks, ‘Good evening’?!” Twilight started to blush and her eyes started to sting.

“I… I didn’t” Twilight took a deep breath and let it all out. “I didn’t come to you because you have been acting so different. You never used to act like this before Luna offered to help me get adjusted into being a princess.” Twilight looked at her old and new mentors in turn and then shielded her eyes with her mane as she hung her head.

Luna glared at Discord, her eyes said, I told you so. Now that Celestia had time to look around the room she started to scream.

“What are the elements doing out of the tree?”

Discord explained everything, then Luna joined in. “But I just found out that the spell must be done on a full moon. I just happened to be lucky to have done it on a full moon. But since the full moon for this month just passed, we will have to wait until then.”

“Until then we have to…” Discord looked at Twilight, who then promptly walked out of the room. “We have to keep Twilight here and away from every pony, and that includes you.” He looked directly at Celestia, who gave him a deathly look.

“And why, pray tell, is that?” When Discord rolled his eyes and Celestia growled at him, Luna stood up and walked between the two of them.

“She must keep her emotions in check; otherwise Nightmare Moon could break out before we can perform the spell.”

After a little more talking between the sisters, Celestia finally left and Twilight returned to the room. When she sat down, Discord burst out laughing so suddenly that Twilight nearly jumped out of her skin.

“What,” Luna flipped her mane back and started to imitate Celestia, “pray tell is sssooo funny?” This made Discord laugh so hard he held his stomach. Soon he calmed down and explained.

“When we were in Ponyville, your friends gave me the funniest looks I have ever seen. Oh you should have seen Rainbow, and Pinkie, ha don’t get me started.” He laughed for a minute, but remembered what else had happened when he saw Twilight’s eyes start to water.

“I haven’t ever seen them so worried. Not even when we were facing any of our foes.” Twilight didn’t look anywhere but the ground. “And Rainbow, I’ll never forget the look on her face as long as I live.”

There were no words that could comfort her. So Luna led her into a new place in the castle, the room that the sisters had shared in their younger years. It was still standing, with just a few holes in the walls. This is where Twilight spent her time until three days before the full moon. Luna wouldn’t let her even leave the room.

Discord would bring her her meals and gave her a book or two every day she needed one. He was the only living thing she saw for a long time. One day they were talking about the past. “You know Twilight, you remind of my little sister.” Twilight stared at him as if he had grown a third horn. “What, can’t believe I had a sister?” He sighed. “Yeah she was just like you, smart and fun to be around.” He started to blush but it went away as he realized something. “You look a lot like her you know. The stripes in your hair are just like hers’ used to be.”

“What was her name?” Twilight asked as she tried to run a comb through her unruly mane. Discord told her to turn around; when she had done so he took the comb and traded it for a brush that was sitting on the night stand.
“Hear this is better for your mane anyway. As for her name… it’s been… so long. I can’t remember.” He pulled the brush through again and again until her mane was as soft as anything ever felt before. He then proceeded to part her mane into three sections and braided it. He took a step back and admired his work. “You know, I think I like the new look. Wait one more thing!” He pulled the brush through her bangs, moving them from the part of her horn they normally sat in and pulled them behind her left ear. “Now that is the best hair style I have ever done!” He held up a small green mirror.

A blush suddenly flew to her checks; she had never looked so… so… “Beautiful.” Discord whispered to himself. “I’ve never seen you look this way.” He said to Twilight

Twilight did look very different. Two months and three weeks will do that to a pony. Her mane had started to grow at an alarming rate. Luna told her it was just her growing into her full state as an alicorn, but it had grown so long Twilight started to trip over it. But no pony would let her near a pair of scissors, anything sharp really, lest anything… go wrong. She had also started to grow in height, she was about to outgrow Luna.

Three days before the full moon she could hear voices downstairs, all eight were very well known to her.

“Aright Princess, explain it one more time so we have it all down pat.” Applejack sounded a little tired.

“Today we need to melt down the elements and make them in to six different candles. Rarity will need to finish the dress today. And Discord will have to go prepare Twilight.” Luna glanced at Discord as she said it. He’s been looking a little down lately; I wonder what he’s thinking. But once everyone had started to do their tasks, Discord was nowhere to be seen.

Back upstairs, Discord found Twilight standing out on the balcony, watching the sun rise. What was strange about the whole thing was that Twilight was standing on top of what was left of the railing. She hadn’t heard him come in.

“Why me, after all these years? After all the ponies around me have gone through with me how could I still be asked more of? When will this ever end?” Twilight looked down at the world, not wanting to return to it yet.

“Twilight, we only ask you things because we know you can always keep your head level.” He took a step toward her. “Please Twi, I need you to be here with me. I need you to help me through the chaos.” He took one more step toward her and was close enough to reach out to her, and he was going to until he noticed her eyes.

They weren’t their normal purple, they were teal with the irises looking like a snakes. “How could you still, even where I am standing right now, ask even more of me? Really Discord, I thought you had changed.” She lifted her back right hoof and her front leg hoof and stared Discord right in the eyes. “Now you can know how I feel, for eternity.”
Discord saw everything in slow motion, Twi lifting her other two legs, noticing the rope rapped around her wings, and at the last second her eyes turned back to their normal color. There was pure terror in those eyes right before Discord looked away so he could focus on flying to her. About five feet below the balcony Discord grabbed Twilight and held her closer than he had ever held anything.

She wrapped her front hooves around his neck and cried onto his shoulder. He flew down slowly to the ground, and walked to the front door of the castle and walked inside until he reached the ballroom. The rest of the mane six ran to the pair and walked a still balling Twilight out. Discord looked at Luna straight in the eye. “We have to do this tonight.” Luna looked at him and nodded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
“It should be close enough to the full moon to use the spell. Rarity hand me the dress.” Rarity held up a long flowing black dress, the night time sky was stitched into the cloth. It was identical to the one that Luna wore up until the spell was finished and Nightmare moon ripped it into a thousand pieces. It was said to heighten your flow of energy toward what it was you were tying yourself to, in this case the night sky.

She pulled it onto Twilight and placed her now element less crown on her head and turned her toward the circle. It’s too late to go back. Twilight thought as she walked into the circle. The room was as dark as the night outside until Twilight stepped on the white paint. The six candles that surrounded the paint flared with a sudden brightness. The room was so grim, you’d think there was no cheer left in the world. Celestia stood at the back of the room, the five ponies and dragon stood off to the side looking like they shouldn’t be there, Luna stood back from Twilight’s side, and Discord stood as close as he could to the paint without Luna yelling at him.

Twilight repeated the lines just as she was supposed to and Discord put her in the trance just as Luna bade him to, everything was going perfectly until Twilight’s eyes opened suddenly. Before anyone could react a dark blue smoke filled the room. When it had faded, there was nothing left of the pony named Twilight Sparkle.

In her place was the feared Nightmare Moon.

Discord was the first to move, he poofed himself in front of Nightmare and plead with her to give them Twilight back. “Oh Discord,” she asked in a cool voice. “Why do you still ask things of me?” Her horn lit up and Discord was thrown through the farthest wall, he didn’t get back up.

“Now why am I still here when I have a country that is waiting for it’s newest Queen.” She opened up her wings and flew out the high window that was missing it’s glass. But before she made it out of the wall she turned her head back. “Ah yes, and tell Discord, if he wakes up, that I just adore the new hair style.” An evil laugh rang out through the night as Nightmare disappeared into it.

Everyone ran to Discord but he would not move. Luna levitated him to the room Twilight had been staying in. Celestia told the girls and Spike to stay there for the night, she was going to go to the Canterlot castle to see if Nightmare would have gone there.

“Well yeah, that’s exactly were she would have taken Twi.” Rainbow looked mortified as Celestia flew off into the night sky.

“Um... Rainbow… she didn’t take Twilight anywhere.” Fluttershy hid from the death glare she got from Rainbow.

“She’s right Rainbow.” Applejack walked to Fluttershy’s side. “It may be the hard truth, but it is honesty. Nightmare didn’t take Twi anywhere, she was Twi.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Luna walked away from Discord’s unmoving body. She had done all that she could to help him but he did not wake. She walked out on to the balcony and sent a prayer to the moon for Twilight. A small song she sang to sing to herself to sleep when she was on the moon suddenly popped into her head.

Let my baby sleep
Let my baby rest
The night is young and so is she
So let her sleep.

Luna took to the skies and floated on top of the trees.

Soon the sun will set.
Then the moon will wake
Too young to keep her head up
Too young to even try.

Luna turned back toward the castle, her voice echoing through the night.

So let the light die
Let the moon awake
The moon’s soft rays
Will take her away
So let the light die.

Luna put her hooves back down on the balcony.

Now the time has come
For the moon to wake
Now the time has come
For you to take wing.

Luna walked to Discord and placed her right hoof on his forehead.

And float among the stars
Dancing in their light
Sleeping in the clam
Staying in the night

Luna walked back to the balcony.

So let the light die
Let the moon awake
The moon’s soft rays
Will take her away
So let the light die.

Luna looked up at the moon, and back at Discord.

Let it die.

Her voice rang out louder than any sound that had been caused that night, or any night in many moons.

Author's Note:

Well there it is, fashionably late, but oh well. So if you would like for me to create the song on YouTube I would be more than happy to but a need at lest ten people to say they would like me to.

There will be more that is NOT where I am ending it. But I would like you to go back and see if you can find all the foreshadowing I left you all.

The chapters are going to be around this length so it may take longer to get them out. So until then...

Keep Gazing My Friends