• Published 6th Feb 2015
  • 2,745 Views, 24 Comments

A Starry Nightmare - Princess Star Gazer



It has been four years since Twilight's rise to princess-hood, but now she is having nightmares that keep coming true. When one nightmare show someone close to Twilight getting hurt, can she find somepony in the night to help her?

  • ...
5
 24
 2,745

New Feelings

Luna sat in front of Twilight, after another night of dream searching there was still nothing she had found. Not even a small nightmare about Nightmare. Luna had given Twilight some 'real' food in the spirit realm, she had found this ability after a dear friend of hers had slipped into a coma and was going to die if she didn't get some food in her.

Now Luna could create food in the realm for those that couldn't eat in the real world. It didn't make sense to Luna but who was she to question when she was saving a life?

I don't think I can take it anymore! I'm used to helping one dreamer at a time over the course of a few hours, not over ten million dreams over the course of two nights!

"I could try for a while if you want me to." Discord stood sheepishly looking down at Luna. "Please, I... I still haven't found a way to repay Twilight for helping me." Discord wouldn't look at Luna, he was staring at Twilight. He reached out and move a bit of her mane back into place that had fallen after reliving nightmare after nightmare for the past two nights.

"I understand what you mean Dis... Star Swirl." Luna looked at the face of her old mentor as it contorted from anger.

"You don't know anything abo..." He remembered who he was talking to and was suddenly turned more to sadness than anger. "Right, um I'm sorry."

"Do not worry. Here, come and sit with me, I will show you the spirit realm." After teaching Discord the spell and showing his how to dream search, Luna gave him a warning. "Every time you find a dream you think you must play, Twilight will have to relive it I'm her mind. Which is why this is an extremely difficult task."

"Don't be such a worry wort. She is in good..." He looked down at his hands. "Claws."

Luna wanted to say something but Discord had fallen into the realm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discord walled along a long path that was filled to the brim with what looked like small TVs, each portrayed a different dream or nightmare Twilight had ever had. Even if she didn't remember it at all.

The right side of the path showed the nightmares and the left held the dreams. After a few feet he found one that look like it could have been about Nightmare Moon, so he placed his lion paw on it. This would allow Twilight's brain to know that the out side force (Discord in this case) was forcing it to replay that specific nightmare.

This would also allow Discord to enter the nightmare as it was playing but he couldn't change it or couldn't be seen while in it. Unlike when Luna was in a real time dream (one that was being dreamt of at the time the outside force enters the pony's soul/ brain) and could seen, heard, and change things in said dream.

Now that Discord had entered the dream he could NOT leave until it was done being played back. Also, the dreamer could not force their way out of their dream either. No matter how hard they could try.

Discord viewed his new surroundings with a strange feeling of being out of place, well more out of place than usual. He looked at Twilight, who was putting away some books. That it. For a few minutes that's all that happened. Then a dark shadow fell over Twilight, but she didn't notice.

Discord tried to call out to her but just as he did so a black fabric was placed over Twilight's head. Discord still couldn't see who the figure was, but followed as Twilight was dragged toward the bridge that led to the Castle of the Two Pony Sisters.

"I'm sorry dear Twilight, but if your still here the elements can be used against me even if your friends aren't there." The voice was smooth, thick, and extremely familiar.

"Discord? Twilight screamed. "What do you mean? Discord let me go! I thought you were reformed!" She struggled, but it was to no avail.

Discord was watching as a nightmare made version of himself was throwing a dream version of the dreaming Twilight off a bridge.

He ran toward her to try and help her but he couldn't change anything, he was just along for th ride until they were just about to hit the rocks Everything went black and Discord found himself on the spirit realm path.

All he could think to do was pace back and forth down the path. He thought of drinking some chocolate milk but it just made his hands shake even more. Finally he made the decision he needed to talk to Twilight.

He walked all way the back down the path where he saw two doors one with Twilight's cutie mark, the other had...

His cutie mark.

The old one he had on his old flank, before he used the spell. He put his eagle claw and his lion paw on the door and heaved a deep sigh. Then turned to the other door and pushed through.

This door led him to the real time dream. He found Twilight flying among the stars. He poofed right in front of where she would have flown next. She didn't look at all changed when he appeared out of no where. "Hi ya Discord! Did you find the nightmare yet?" She flew over to him and sat down on the cotton candy cloud he made.

During the past four years Discord and Twilight had spent many a night sitting together on a cotton candy cloud, gazing at the stars. This time, minus the gazing, was not too different from then. They were just happy for the other's company.

So when Discord shock his head no, Twilight asked which nightmare he had found. He wouldn't look at her when he answered.

"I had to watch myself throw you off a bridge. It was terrible, horrible!" Discord realized something. "But I guess I was bad for you too." Twilight forced him to look at her.

"Do you remember the first the I asked you to come star gazing with me?" He nodded, she continued. "It was also the night I had that nightmare. My head told you couldn't change, but my heart said you already had." He just kept staring at her eyes. "So I tried to prove to myself that you would as far as to stay out at the wonderful hour of the night with me." A soft smile spread on her lips.

"I have to go, but I will come back in the morning to check on you." Discord left the cloud were it was and flew back to the door. Twilight couldn't see the door so to her it looked like he just disappeared.

When he was back on the path, he heard someone banging on the door with his cutie mark. So he opened that one and was taken back to the real world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luna was tapping Discord's shoulder when he finally woke up. "Discord, wake up! I have an idea!" She shook him until he was fully awake. Then she finally told him. "What if we went into the realm together, that way we can look at the same time and get more done if were helping each other!" Luna looked so excited that Discord had to smile at her.

"That's good because I got nowhere but a smack in the face." Discord ran a shaking hand through his mane and settled himself back down.

"What do you mean? Where did you start searching at? I thought I finished all the ones about you!" Luna looked very confused as she positioned herself on the midnight blue cushion Discord had poofed up for her, since he had taken the first one she had had.

Before Discord would answer any of the questions, he had slipped into the realm. Luna followed after with a sigh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luna saw Discord pointing at a dream port (the funny looking TV's I mentioned earlier). "That one is the one I had to watch. I thought it was Nightmare, but I guess not." He looked down at his feet as if they were the most interesting things in the world.

Luna shook her head and smiled. She walked down a long way down the path, farther than it even looked like it would go. "This is where I stopped, I watched all the promising ones that she had after she met you. That way you didn't see... anything." Even thought most of the dreams are organized by the time the dreamer had them, the most stressing ones get jumbled until the dreamer gets calmed down about what happened in them. That definitely wasn't going to happen any time soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

After two weeks of searching all of the dreams and nightmares, Discord and Luna finally found it. Now when they saw it with their own eyes, they understood how real this threat was. So now they had a choice.

They could tell Celestia and see what she thinks they should do.

Or they could act immediately and most likely stop Nightmare Moon from ever being more that a horrible nightmare.

They made their decision. Now the next step in all of this, was to rob a tree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

(This is the same time frame as the Luna/Discord/Twilight thing at the other Castle. Just to clear that up) Spike and the mane 6 minus Twilight were walking toward princess Celestia in the throne room of the Canterlot Castle. "Please tell you have news about my sister." Celestia looked as if she hadn't slept in many nights.

"No, nothing about any of um." Applejack was normally the one you could go to for anything, but having a friend missing for half a month will do that to you.

"Where could they have gone? They couldn't just disappear!" It had been a long time since the group had heard Celestia's voice raise. "Why can't we find them any of them? It is not like them." She had begun to pace the room. "Especially Twilight. Spike are you sure...."

"Yes, I am SURE that Twilight did NOT tell me what her nightmare was about!" Spike was starting to get a little angry with the princess. Just as Spike was going to stay something he was going to regret, a royal guard came through the door. He ran to princess and whiter something into her ear.

"First Luna, Twilight and Discord go missing and now you are telling me that somepony just stole the elements out of the tree of Harmony?!"

There was a collective gasp and a very long round of 'What!?'s.

"Could anything else go wrong this month?"

Little did Celestia know that this was only the beginning. Nor did she know that in a short time she would lose not only her old mentor, her faithful student, and her sister. But her kingdom as well. And this time it was for good.

Author's Note:

Okay, yes that is where I will leave you for right now. If you know where this is going let me know your ideas! So for those of you that wanted that Luna/ Twilight cuteness. SORRY, next week I promise. There will also be very tragic things happening very soon here, read on only if you want your feels to be killed and burnt to a crisp.
So for now

Keep Gazing My Friends.