• Published 3rd Feb 2015
  • 3,104 Views, 67 Comments

You are the Music in Me - Mallory S Nocturne



(Title subject to change. Also found in Fanfiction) Sonata Dusk, a siren and a member of The Dazzlings, was abandoned by her fellow sirens and now she is alone. But, when a boy founds her by the alleyway, he invites her to his house. Summary isn't at

  • ...
8
 67
 3,104

Practice Session

We spent the rest of the day working on Sonata's singing. Pitch control, breathing exercises, everything. Sonata followed me to the note, and every single note she could sing, beautifully even! But, she couldn't sing any of those in any combination, like it was subconsciously messed up. As Sonata failed to sing properly, I noticed that she was getting more and more furious.

It was already 10:00 in the evening when we realized what time it is. I also realized that both of us still hadn't eaten the tacos I cooked up for lunch. We decided to reheat it and eat it for dinner. We both ate in silence as I noticed Sonata in a somber mood. I then swallowed the food in my mouth and talked to her.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing." Sonata said.

"You sure you don't want to talk about it?" I pressed further. She suddenly got furious and threw the taco in her hand.

"Ugh! Why can't I find my voice?!" She screamed as she stood up. And judging by her tone, I knew she was going to get things off her chest.

"I've work so hard, you know that Cass, but even if I'm trying hard, nothing happens! What did I do wrong?! Is the world punishing me for something I did? Is that why..." She lowered her head and tears began to cry. "... No one likes me?"

I felt sorry for her, as I was in her situation before. I think it's time I give you some dirt about me. When I was in elementary, kids my age tend to pick on me. I don't know why they do it, but they said something about me being different. And after the kids would bully me, I would go straight to the school library, which every kid tries to avoid, because beside of its rumor of being haunted, the place was very quiet. The library was my haven. I was safe inside the great fortress of paper. One day, a teacher noticed me in the library instead of learning in class along with the rest of the kids. She asked me why I was there, but I didn't talk to her. Everyday since then, she would visit me in the library and tried to talk to me. A few times, she would even give me small treat just to see if that would make me talk to her. I didn't, but I still ate the treats. At one point, I started talking to her and eventually, I warmed up to her. Everyday, she would teach me in the library and we would often talk about each other. We laughed, (silently of course, as we were in the library) we shared our good times and bad, and basically hang our there.

Sadly, all good things must come to an end, but I think I'll save the rest of this tale for another time. For now, we must get back with the present.

I stood up, placing my taco on a plate and gently hugged Sonata. She immediately returned the hug as she bawled into my chest. I placed my hand in her back and rubbed her gently.

"Shh. It's Okay. Let it all out." I said, soothing her until whimper came our of her mouth. Both of us sat down but remained in that place. Finally, she let go of me and I looked into her raspberry eyes.

"Better?" I asked. She merely nodded and I picked up once again the taco from the plate and gave it to her. Even though she knew it was mine, she still took and ate it. I wasn't really that hungry anyway.

I waited until she was finished and I took the used dishes and placed them into the sink. I then went upstairs and took out a white shirt and my old PJ s and gave it to Sonata.

"Here." I said. "Since your pajamas are still being made, you should use this. It can get chilly at night, so you can use my blanket."

"Thanks, Cass. I'm sorry I made a mess, and I couldn't find my voice." She said, disheartened by the achievement we had done. I smiled a bit and for some unknown reason, I tenderly kissed her forehead and looked at her.

"Don't be so down, Sonata. I'm sure we'll find your voice. But for now, we must rest that voice of yours before it gets scratchy." I said. Sonata was surprised by my actions and was now as red as an apple. She only nodded and walked to the bathroom to get changed.

As for me, I simply walked to the bedroom and changed my clothes back to a simple sleeveless and trousers. Immediately, I fell on the bed, made sure Sonata has room on the bed, and quickly fell asleep.

Only to have nightmares come out to get me...


"Aaahhh ahhh ahhh, ahhhh ahhh~"

Those voices again. Those melodies, just as beautiful as the last time. Then, those other voices, arguing. The same green mist rising from the crowd. Floating to the same gems as I have seen in the previous dream. Suddenly, a blast shattered the gems, revealing an orange and a violet seahorses... The two spotted me and floated over me. I realized the danger I was in and tried to run, only to find myself rooted to the spot. The singing got louder as the two seahorses approached.

"Ahh Aahh! Ahh hah Ahhh"

The two stopped and floated above of me a few feet away and out came two red sonic booms from their mouths. I awaited the impact, but a third seahorse appeared in front of me and unleashed a blue sonic boom to counter the red ones. The seahorse in front of me struggled to overpower them, but I instantly felt the need to cheer for it.

"You can do it! Believe in yourself. I do!" I shouted. The icy blue seahorse in front of me looked at me from the corner of her innocent raspberry eyes and gained a giant boost of confidence. And with all of its might, it unleashed the most powerful blast I've ever seen. It was powerful, but it didn't knocked me away. In fact, it was soothing.

The orange and violet seahorses roared in pain as the icy blue seahorse continued to blast them with its voice until the orange and violet seahorses faded out of existence. When the two seahorses were gone, the icy blue seahorse floated down to me and looked at me with its innocent, raspberry-colored eyes. It leaned towards me and I did the same.

"Battle!" I heard a voice and When I opened my eyes, the orange seahorse was in front of me and tried to bite my face off.


I shot up from my bed, covered with sweat and shaking from head to toe.

"It was j-just a d-dream, Cass. G-get a h-hold of your-yourself." I told myself.

But something in my hand isn't. I opened my clenched fist and inside revealed a red shard, the same one from Sonata's pouch. The shard caught the moonlight peering through the window, reflecting a bit of light through it.

"Hey Cass, have you seen a piece of my..." Sonata stopped talking as she saw me holding the red shard.

Author's Note:

If you know someone who can make a cover art for this story, please please please make one for me. The picture can be Sonata crying in an alleyway with Cass in front of her holding out his hand If you can make one for me, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Please PM me for the e-mail address. :pinkiesmile: