• Published 28th Jan 2015
  • 7,826 Views, 298 Comments

Daughter of Magic - Moon Glow



The Disappearance of Twilight Sparkle casted a blight of sorrow amongst her friends and family. Will her half-human daughter, Aurora, and her new friends be the cure?

  • ...
16
 298
 7,826

Chapter 7: An Apple For Your Thoughts?

Author's Note:

I have returned. I've been coming up with more and more new fics as of late and I CAN'T STOP! :pinkiecrazy:

I have a new fic going on in my brain and I do hope that after this one, I can update other fics. (Damn my brain!)

I do not own MLP or the video.

Update: November 18, 2015

I've adjusted the CMC's Cutie Marks so that they would be the ones from "Crusaders of the Lost Mark."

Chapter 7

Apple For Your Thoughts?


Aurora watched the scenery past by as she and her companions rode the train that led to the town of Ponyville. After meeting with her grandparents the previous day, Aurora was both curious and nervous about meeting other ponies. After saying good-bye and giving thanks to the princesses for taking care of her, the hybrid, the Elements, and Spike left before the crack of dawn just so they could catch the immediate train to Ponyville without cause of alarm.

It was an hour and a half before the train stopped at their destination. Aurora and the others were the last ones off. Not because of Aurora, but of Rarity's luggage. Once they were off the train, Applejack spoke to the ponies and Spike.

"Alright, ya'll. I'll take Aurora to Sweet Apple Acres and we'll see ya later."

In agreement, the ponies and the adolescent dragon went their separate ways, although Pinkie promised to bring Pound and Pumpkin Cake later on.

The sun was barely rising and by far, most ponies were still sleeping in bed. By far, Aurora had practiced her new legs just enough to get her to her destinations, but she still had some work to do before she could be an athlete again. Straightening out her cobalt blue and black-and-white stripe shirt, Aurora spoke to her new guardian.

"So. This is Ponyville."

She then spotted Spike entering a giant tree that had been carved into a home.

"Is that the library where my mom lived?"

Seeing the library, Applejack nodded.

"It sure is, Sugar Cube. I had rarely seen yer mother without her head in a book. In fact, her stay here was supposed to be temporary on account of the Summer Sun Celebration."

This caused Aurora to raise an eyebrow.

"Summer Sun Celebration? What's that?"

Applejack slowed her gait as she proceeded to tell the story to her charge.

"Well, the Summer Sun Celebration is a holiday on the longest day of the year. It celebrates not only the defeat of Nightmare Moon, but the return of Princess Luna as well."

Aurora thought for a moment before she spoke.

"Nightmare Moon? I think Mom told me about her. She wanted to take over all of Equestria?"

Applejack nodded, the stories and the memories engraved in her mind.

"Nightmare Moon wanted to cover the land in eternal night. She was what Princess Luna had become when the jealously of her sister, Princess Celestia, overwhelmed her. Princess Celestia had no choice but to use the Elements of Harmony, six gems of unimaginable power, to banish Nightmare Moon to the moon. Then, twelve years ago, she escaped. But me, the others, and yer mother were able to find the Elements and turned her back into Princess Luna."

Aurora blinked in surprise as she matched the stories up.

"Sounds about right. But I take it you've shortened the story a bit?"

Applejack nodded again.

"I'm sure yer mother gave you more details than I had. Like when Rarity cut off her tail to help an upset water serpent. Or when Fluttershy tamed a manticore by removing a thorn in its paw."

Aurora let out a gasp at the last bit of information.

"Fluttershy was the one that tamed the manticore?! Mom said, according to her story, 'a pony as quiet and timid as a mouse was the one who tamed a fearsome beast. All she did was bestow her great and boundless kindness and the second passage was open.'"

It was Applejack's turn to blink.

"Yer mother said all that? About Fluttershy?"

Aurora nodded.

"I think she was trying to bring extra 'oomph' into the story, since apparently she couldn't give names…"

Her voice trailed off. Applejack didn't need to say anything. The child was still recovering from the shock of Equestria's existence and her mother's identity as a unicorn. It was still a lot to take in. The farmpony could only hope that things will get easier for them all soon.

The smell of fresh apples assaulted their senses. For Aurora, it was a wondrous smell. To Applejack, it was home sweet home. Soon, despite the little light, the pair could see the beginnings of leagues and leagues of apple trees of various types. Eventually, a large red barn surrounded by a couple of other buildings could be seen at the end of a white wooden fence that bordered the path from the orchard.

"Is that it?" Aurora asked.

Applejack smiled as she breathed in the fresh apple-scented air that she was so familiar with.

"It sure is, Sugar Cube. Welcome to Sweet Apple Acres. Finest orchard in all of Equestria as well as yer temporary home."

As they passed the gate, the pair were approached by a yellow mare with her crimson mane tied back in a low ponytail. On her flank was a Cutie Mark in the shape of a shield. The shield bore three colors: red, pale pink, and pale lavender. There was a purple apple in the center of the shield and a pinkish-purple heart in the center of the apple.

Her amber eyes cast upon the older mare and her unusual companion.

"We've got yer letter, Applejack. We didn't have much room, so our guest can use the old clubhouse until we're finished."

She then took notice of the mixed girl. She was surprised, yes, but the foresight of Applejack as well as Princess Celestia kept the younger mare from flipping out. Calmly, she walked over to the pair and raised a hoof to Aurora.

"You must be Aurora. I'm Apple Bloom, Applejack's sister."

"Younger sister." Applejack pointed out.

Apple Bloom made a face at her sister before returning her attention to Aurora. The ten year-old was hesitant at first, but went on shaking the young mare's hoof with her human hand.

"Uh…nice to meet you, Miss Apple Bloom."

A faint blush came to the mare's face as she spoke.

"Well, shucks. Ya don't have to call me 'Miss' now. Just 'Apple Bloom' will be fine."

She then led the girl to her quarters while Applejack went to address the rest of the family.

"Now, our guest rooms are filled up for the upcoming Apple Family Reunion. So for the time bein', you'll have to sleep in an old treehouse of ours."

"But why a treehouse?" Aurora asked. "I could sleep in the barn."

But Apple Bloom shook her head.

"Nuh-uh. Yer under our care, Aurora. You should have yer own room and the barn is no place for a young filly."

She then gave a cock-eyed look at the girl.

"Uh…how old are you, by the way?"

Giving a mental eye-roll, Aurora answered.

"I'm ten. I'll be eleven next spring."

Apple Bloom blinked.

"Really? Well, yer the tallest ten year-old I've ever seen."

It was Aurora's turn to blink before placing her fists on her waist.

"Hey. Being tall is not a bad thing."

"I never said it was." Apple Bloom replied with a kindly smile.

As Aurora began to compose herself, Apple Bloom noticed something else odd about Aurora.

"You don't have yer Cutie Mark, yet?"

Aurora blinked again before looking at her barren flank.

"No. And I don't think I'll ever get one."

Apple Bloom gasped in shock.

"What? Why not?"

Aurora kept walking, not meeting the mare's gaze.

"Because I'm only half-pony. Chances are I'm more human than pony and humans don't get Cutie Marks. At least, that's what I believe."

Apple Bloom's eyes widened at the sudden information.

"Humans don't get Cutie Marks?"

"Nope." The younger female replied simply.

Neither said anything for the duration of the trip. But Apple Bloom's mind was on fire with memories and personal thoughts about the subject. She and her friends, Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo, knew what it was like to be called a 'blank flank.' But none of them ever met a pony, no matter if they were half or whole, that completely believed she would never obtain an important part on a young foal's life.

She didn't mean to be critical. She was just curious about the kind of…"person" Aurora was. Not just in her appearance, but in her personality. She was recovering from the shock of her mother being taken and the discovery of her mother's heritage, but there must be more to Aurora than what anypony thought.

The two of them halted when they came across a refurbished treehouse. It had been altered over the years, a porch and a cobblestone fireplace with chimney being added thanks to Apple Bloom, who found that designing from architecture to outfits to be her special talent. There was a ramp instead of stairs, which would be helpful for Aurora for the time being, and there was a fresh coat of paint on the miniature building. There was the addition of four wooden pillars under the clubhouse's four corners for extra support.

"Well. This is it." Apple Bloom pointed out.

She then pointed to the ramp in front of them.

"Go on and check it out."

Nodding at Apple Bloom, Aurora walked up the ramp and, after crouching a bit, entered the treehouse.

The interior wasn't decorated with her chosen décor yet, but it held a bed just her length with fresh linens across from the unused fireplace. It was small, but not too small that she couldn't turn around. More or less the size of her old bedroom. There was also a bookshelf at one corner and an end table near the door where she set her aquarium down. She then tested the bed and found it comfy. She then heard Apple Bloom's hoofsteps made their way to the door, where the young mare stood at the doorway.

"So? What'd ya think?" she asked.

After having another look around, Aurora gave an answer.

"It's cozy."

She couldn't think of any other answer. It wasn't exactly a house. There wasn't even a stove for her to cook.

"It will have to do until we can get a room cleared out." Apple Bloom explained before she proceeded to blush. "Sorry about the inconvenience. Once we've organize everything, we'll move ya to the house."

She then turned around and took a few steps before looking back to Aurora.

"Breakfast will be ready at 9. Granny Smith and Big Macintosh wanna meet ya, too."

As Apple Bloom left, Aurora proceed to set her bags on the bed and proceeded to open one saddlebag. She reached inside and pulled out the photograph that Twilight had showed Fluttershy and Applejack. She set it on the end table next to the bed and reached for her father's urn. Seeing the shelf over the fireplace, Aurora placed the urn in the center of the shelf and stepped back a bit, only to trip backwards on the bed.

"Well. That was embarrassing." She muttered.

She then looked up at her father's new placement.

"At least it's in front of you, Dad. I just hope I can get used to this body soon. At least I kept my hands. Silver lining, and all."

Aurora then proceed to stand up and returned to analyzing the mantle.

"Maybe a small vase or two will do. Just to liven things up."

She started to head back to her bed when her eyes reached the photo. Her gaze focused on her parents. She had her father's ashes, so that could count as one parent, right? Or was that too weird?

Aurora turned her gaze to a Victorian music box clock she pulled from her suitcase and looked at the time.

"8:45?! I'm gonna be late!"

Dropping the clock onto her bed, Aurora burst out the door, but tripped once she reached the ramp. She slide down until she hit the grass.

Standing up, Aurora made a mad dash to the home of her caretakers, stumbling and tripping every few feet or so. She slowed her clumsy gait once she reached the house and brushed off the grass and dirt from her body. She wanted to make a good first impression, not to become a grassy mess.

Swallowing down her anxiety, Aurora entered the home, where the smell of apple cider assaulted her senses. Her stomach made its presence known as Aurora followed the smell to the kitchen, where Applejack and an elderly green mare cooking in the kitchen. Aurora stood behind once side of the archway as the elder mare spotted the girl when she went to stir some sort of batter.

"Sweet Celestia! What is that!?" she gave out a weak scream that caused the hybrid to cringe.

Turning around from the griddle, Applejack saw what the elder was hollering about and gave a slight eye roll.

"Granny. I told ya before. That's Aurora, Twilight Sparkle's daughter? Our charge?"

The elder mare squinted her eyes at the child, causing Aurora to become nervous. Suddenly, her eyes widened and gave an apologetic glance.

"Oh! Well sorry there, dearie. Applejack did tell us about you. I was just startled."

Quickly, Aurora raised her left hand, her fingers bent.

"I-It's alright, ma'am. I'd probably be in the same if I were in your shoes. Err, horseshoes, that is."

"The lingo of this world's gonna be a pain." She thought to herself.

The elder then proceeded to speak.

"Well, quit hiden' like a groundhog after it sees its shadow. Come in and help make breakfast."

Aurora obeyed as she approached the table.

"What would you like me to do?"

Granny Smith pointed to some apples and a knife on the table.

"I'll take over the peelin' and slicing. You, on the other hoof, work on this batter here."

Aurora nodded and took the bowl from the mare and began to stir.

As she stirred the batter, she smelt cinnamon. After Granny Smith sliced and cut the apples into small chunks, she handed the apple bits to Aurora.

"Put those in the batter until you get about four cut apples in it. Then hand the batter to Applejack."

She then looked to Applejack.

"I'm going to ring for Big Mac and Apple Bloom, then set the picnic table set up."

After the elder left, Aurora looked to Applejack as she returned to the batter.

"Well. That was something."

Applejack frowned as she flipped another pancake.

"I was hopin' it would turn out better, myself. But I'm certain she'll get used to your…*ahem*…appearance. Just give her some time, Sugar Cube."

There was some silence afterwards until final preparations were made. It was during breakfast that Aurora met Big Macintosh. The stallion took her appearance better than Granny Smith, though he was a stallion of few words. Turned out Applejack was right about giving her the Apple Family elder some time, because no sooner than they had started to eat, both Granny Smith and Apple Bloom bombarded her with questions after questions. It was thanks to Applejack that the five were able to eat at all.

After breakfast, Granny Smith and Applejack proceeded to do the dishes while Apple Bloom and Big Mac returned to work. Aurora, with a full stomach, decided to explore Sweet Apple Acres after she had digested. Not only would she get a work out for her new legs, but to get a layout of the land as well. But before she could, she returned to the treehouse and went through one of the saddlebags and pulled out an object.

It was made of cherry wood and had rosemaling painted on the lid and sides of the box. Behind the box was a gold-colored key protruding out. Aurora gently grasped the key and turned it three times before setting the box onto the bedside table. She then lifted the lid and a mechanism inside began playing a beautiful tune.

It was a music box Aurora received from her parents for her 5th birthday. Her father had the wooden part of the box made while her mother procured the song. She had told her that it was a song she had once sang long ago. And the melody of the song had been one of Aurora's earlier lullabies when she was a baby.

Aurora moved her luggage to the floor and laid on the bed, her head resting on the pillow while she stared at the photo of her and her family. Memories came flooding into her mind. Memories of simpler, happier times. When it was just her and her parents. Sure, she was curious of her mother's origins, but Aurora wished her mother was with her.

With a full stomach, the melody of the music box, and having to leave Canterlot caused Aurora to drift off to sleep.


Meanwhile, in the Crystal Empire…

It had been two days since Princess Cadence and Shining Armor heard the news about their niece and the two of them were greeted by two ponies entering the throne room. Shining Armor recognized them immediately.

"Mom! Dad!"

The prince proceeded to give his parents a hug as his wife joined them in the greetings.

"What a pleasant surprise. We weren't expecting a visit from you two."

"That's because we've wanted it to be a surprise." Twilight Velvet answered her daughter-in-law. "Besides, I'm sure the two of you have heard the news."

Cadence proceeded to ask.

"You mean about Twilight's daughter, Velvet?"

The older mare nodded as the princess proceeded to ask.

"What about her?"

Night Light took the floor as he answered Cadence's question.

"We've met her just yesterday."

This surprised the prince and princess.

"You…you met her?" Shining Armor asked nervously.

Cadence, however, was excited.

"Oh! Tell us. What's she like?"

The older couple chuckled as they joined the royal couple in the castle parlor.

"Well, when Princess Celestia told us about our recently-discovered granddaughter, I'll admit we found the news surprising and exciting. But when she told us about Aurora's heritage, we were a bit shaken. To be honest, we weren't sure at first what to do." Night Light admitted.

Twilight Velvet proceeded to speak as she sat down on a chair near the fireplace as Shining Armor started to light it.

"But regardless of her description, the fact remained that she was Twilight's daughter and our grandchild. Not to mention that after the princess told us about what had happened, we just couldn't let the chance to meet our only grandchild slip past. So we went to visit her."

Shining Armor frowned sadly as he proceeded to tend the fire. "Celestia sent us a letter telling us about what happened to Twily. If I had only-"

"Now don't go blaming yourself again, son." Night Light interrupted. "We were all fooled by the Changelings. And what with the wedding and all, we all simply were unable to see what Twilight was able to see."

But Shining Armor continued his brooding.

"But I was the Captain of the Guard and the groom, Dad! If anypony should have detected something earlier, it should have been me. Twilight would still be with us if I had just taken more precaution, maybe even postpone the wedding!"

The parents sighed sadly as Cadence once again tried to console her husband.

"But dear, Twilight's not dead. And she's here, somewhere in Equestria. We have a better chance of finding her than we would have in the past twelve years."

Shining Armor remained silent as Cadence looked to her in-laws to change the subject.

"You have met Aurora. What's she like?"

Getting the princess' hint, Night Light proceeded to recount their visit.

"Well, she was very nervous when we first met. I've never met anypony that was so worried. Not since her mother. But once we let her know that we meant no harm and wanted to welcome her, she began to relax."

"She was very eager to learn of her mother's life here in Equestria. Apparently, neither Twilight nor her late beloved told her of her Equestrian heritage. So it was a lot for her to take in. She also seems to be as intelligent as her mother, but has her own interests." Twilight Velvet added.

"Such as?" Cadence asked.

Velvet continued with her story.

"Well, her favorite hobby is collecting shells. She enjoys the Great Outdoors and, in her old body, was an accomplished swimmer. She also apparently loves to explore what with the stories of her exploring her islands."

"We could also see a strong fire burn in her eyes. The filly we've met was just what we could see under the thick shell of uncertainty she has around her. But we've grown to love her and are eager for her to come and visit." Night Light spoke.

"Or us visiting her in Ponyville or here." Twilight Velvet added.

The royal couple remembered in the letter that Princess Celestia stated that once Aurora had become well-adjusted that they would become her guardians until Twilight was found. Remembering that fact, Cadence had an idea.

"I think we should meet her before she comes to the Crystal Empire."

The parents and the prince looked to the princess in surprise.

"What do you mean, Cadence?" Shining Armor asked.

Cadence answered him with a smile on her face.

"Why, we'll meet Aurora in Ponyville, of course."

She then began to relay her thoughts.

"Aurora will come to the Crystal Empire, right? Well, wouldn't it be better for her if she met her aunt and uncle and get to know them before she comes here?"

Night Light and Twilight Velvet smiled.

"That's a wonderful idea, Cadence. It would certainly help decrease her anxiety and she would love to get to know the family she'll be staying with. We'd gladly take her in ourselves, but Princess Celestia explained that she'd be safe here than in Canterlot or Ponyville."

"And you'll be better prepared for when she does arrive. Plan family activities and such. Not to mention have an idea for her room. Although I am concerned about the Crystal Ponies' reactions to her."

Cadence raised a hoof as she smiled in reply.

"Leave that to us."

She then looked to her husband.

"What do you say, Shining Armor? Shall we visit her this weekend?"

The idea sounded grand for Shining Armor. Not only would he be meeting a new family member who would be his charge, but it was his little sister's filly. But as he was about to agree, a sudden fear caught his answer before it could be heard.

What if Aurora found out about what had happened between him and her mother? Would she be angry? Or horrified? What would she think of him in general? Questions upon questions began to grow in his mind, coming up with various scenarios that could end up going wrong. Seeing his son's reaction, Night Light intervened.

"Son."

Hearing him, Shining Armor looked to his father.

"I know that look. Rest assured, Aurora knows absolutely nothing about what had happened at the wedding. We are all in agreement that information should be kept under lock and key. At least, until she is ready."

Despite his father's words of certainty, Shining Armor remained uncertain. Seeing her husband's face, Cadence sighed.

Getting Shining Armor to meet his niece, Aurora, was going to be a trying task.