• Published 25th Jan 2015
  • 1,304 Views, 76 Comments

Obsolution - not plu



At one time, the Elements of Harmony were needed to wield powerful magic in order to bring order to Equestria. Luckily, they've become obsolete.

  • ...
6
 76
 1,304

13: The Star-Dials

I've learned that sometimes the solution to your problems can come from where you least expect it. It's a good idea to stop and listen to your friends' opinions and perspectives... Even when they don't always seem to make sense...


“Princess, you are far too stressed.”

You’re damn right I’m too stressed.

“I’m just busy. But I assure you, I have everything under control.”

Lies.

“Don’t try to lie to me. I can literally feel how stressed you are.”

Twilight’s first massage in Canterlot wasn’t exactly going well.

The candles artfully arranged according to Feng Shui or something provided a soft, flickering light. She had been sipping on chamomile iced tea this whole time. A light mixture of lavender and tea tree was being pumped throughout the room by a small humidifier in the corner. And this massage pony was very talented at what she was doing.

Everything was perfect. Yet somehow, Twilight couldn’t relax. It was pretty clear why.

“You can’t necessarily know that.” Twilight meekly offered.

“Enough years doing this, and you learn to feel things.”

She wondered if her masseuse could feel how long it had been since she had slept. Or the number of things on her to-do list. Or her daily caloric intake.

Unless she specialized in qualitative, rather than quantitative data.

She took a few deep breaths, counting like Conquering Stress from Within told her to do.

One.

She tried her best to clear her mind; to give into the ambiance of the room.

Two.

She could feel her relaxed muscles urging her mind to follow suit.

Three.

She still had to schedule that meeting with the Royal Library’s head librarian.

Four.

She’d have to figure out how to integrate a labeling overhaul without sounding too controlling.

Five.

She really did like the head librarian, but she certainly wasn’t a pushover.

Six.

She could possibly draw up some diagrams to help explain the new system.

Seven.

She’d have to find time to draw them, though.

Eight.

She suddenly remembered she was supposed to be relaxing and tried to clear her mind.

Nine.

She also remembered the visitors from Vanhoover had canceled, clearing up tomorrow afternoon, so she could draw the diagrams then.

Ten.

This was hopeless.


“How’d your massage go?”

From the way Twilight was slumped in her chair at their weekly lunch date, Celestia didn’t really need to ask. But she did anyway, much to Twilight’s annoyance.

“It was fine.”

Celestia decided not to push it, instead answering with a knowing gaze and a sip of her soup.

Twilight was determined to make the rest of her day salvageable. She still had a lot on her list.

She took a deep breath and picked up her spoon. At least she knew lunch would go well.

She’d barely eaten two bites when a guard noisily swung the doors open, scaring both Princesses. Looking slightly panicked, he ran up to her.

“Princess Sparkle... you have a visitor. She says it’s incredibly urgent. I tried to send her away, I really did, but she was very adamant that she has to see you.”

“Who is it? Do I know her?”

“I think so. I really think you should go.”

Holy Tartarus, something’s gone really wrong.

She apologized to Celestia for ruining lunch.

Something has happened between two of our allies.

She thanked the guard for the message.

Something is attacking Ponyville again.

She ran out of the room and down the stairs.

Something’s happened to another one of the elements.

She threw open the door to the waiting room.

“Howdy, Twilight. Long time no see.”


“So this is your bedroom, then?”

Twilight nodded.

“Haven’t you been here before?”

Applejack shook her head.

Twilight stood awkwardly in the center of the room as Applejack poked around.

“Are you going to tell me what’s going on?” She tentatively asked.

Applejack sighed.

“I was hoping you’d already know.” She paused, to give Twilight a chance to fill in, but the alicorn stayed silent. “The six of us haven’t been all together since last October. And we both know what kinda toll that’s taken.”

“I don’t think anything’s that bad, Applejack. I mean, look at-”

“Pinkie?”

“Pinkie... Pinkie’s an anomaly. Look at Rainbow Dash: she’s a Wonderbolt now. Or Rarity?”

Applejack just shook her head.

“Look at yourself, Twilight. How do you think you’re doing?”

When you’re a princess, nopony will look you in the eye. Or if they do, they’re never really seeing you. It’s a respect thing. And so Twilight had forgotten the way Applejack’s eyes bore into her soul, that piercing stare that meant she expected honesty.

“I’m- I’m fine.”

Applejack didn’t break her stare for a moment, until she couldn’t handle it anymore, and burst out laughing.

“Twilight, did you honestly think you could lie to me? The element of honesty?”

“We’re not Elements anymore.” Twilight said softly. That broke the lightheartedness that had nearly made itself present in the room.

“I don’t exactly think you’ve lost your ability for magic, Twilight.”

She had a point there, but Twilight didn’t dare voice it.

“I’m really glad you came to visit, Applejack, but trust me, everything is going great here.”

Applejack didn’t respond, instead giving her a condescending look, those green eyes oh so unsettling.

“I’m not leaving here until you admit to me that everything ain’t peachy keen.”

Twilight held her ground. Applejack held hers. The two stood in that silence, neither one close to giving up.

Applejack, from experience, had faith that she was much more stubborn than Twilight.

She was right. Twilight still did have her magic. Which meant she had the ability to cast a tear-stopping spell on herself, which she had done that morning. So in turn, the princess was confident she could win.

What Twilight had chosen not to remember was that she had needed to cast the spell on herself every day since Pinkie had died.

What Twilight had truly not remembered was that the tear-stopping spell wears off.

And luckily for Applejack, it chose that exact moment to wear off.

Suddenly she felt it stir inside her. The rumbling, shapeless darkness that she swore didn’t exist anymore.

And then she was a whimpering heap on the floor.

And Applejack had won.


Of course, she wasn’t a bitch about it.

There were tissues and hugs and patience.

Once Twilight could breathe without sobbing, she finally admitted it all to Applejack.

It was all awful. She couldn’t stop crying. The only times she could get some sleep, she’d wake up in the middle of the night, her heart racing and her mind swirling. The only thing she cared about was her stupid to-do list. She felt like a terrible princess. She never really got anything done. She wasn’t happy. She wasn’t prepared for this.

And then she cried some more and Applejack gave her more tissues and waited.

The dignified Princess Twilight Sparkle, her eyes bloodshot and puffy, snot running down her face, sniffled loudly and asked Applejack what she should do.

“Come home.” Applejack whispered.

“I can’t.” Twilight replied.

Author's Note:

Well, it's been nearly a year since this story was started, and we're relatively close to being finished. At least according to my outline.

One of my resolutions for 2016 is to write more... considering that this was the only story I published in the entirety of 2015. Oops.

I'd love to finish this by the summer, but we'll see what happens. Stay tuned for more miserable ponies!