• Published 25th Jan 2015
  • 1,304 Views, 76 Comments

Obsolution - not plu



At one time, the Elements of Harmony were needed to wield powerful magic in order to bring order to Equestria. Luckily, they've become obsolete.

  • ...
6
 76
 1,304

12: The Ultimate Clime

I’m sorry I haven’t written in a while. I guess I don’t exactly learn anything Princess-worthy every day. I don’t really think the others do either -write letters that is- but I haven’t exactly talked to them in a while. You can understand why.


Usually, Applejack of all ponies was acutely aware of the changing seasons. Her family’s welfare depended on it. So when she woke, ready to sow some seeds, the blizzard swirling outside her window made her completely convinced that she was still dreaming.

It didn’t take long to realize she wasn’t.

Applejack cursed softly under her breath and headed downstairs.

As usual, she was the first one up, so she started a fire in the hearth to hopefully melt her brain enough to figure out what the heck she was going to do, or what was even going on, really. She blinked back the sleep behind her eyes as she stood watching the now-growing fire.

Reluctantly, she turned around to face the window.

The sun was just barely rising, and its first rays caught on the snow that had already stuck on the ground, making it twinkle as more fluffy flakes fluttered downwards.

It was beautiful and she absolutely hated it.

The heavy hoofsteps behind her signaled that her brother was awake. Her eyes were fixed on what was going on outside, so he silently walked up next to her, staring at the window as well. They stood like that for a moment, just taking everything in. The sound of breathing and the fire’s crackling were the only things to break the tranquil silence.

It could’ve been a very beautiful moment. But they’d wrapped up winter nearly a month ago now, so panic was slowly building inside Applejack.

“Probably just one of Dash’s pranks.” Big Macintosh offered. Applejack shook her head.

“Dash hasn’t been in Ponyville for six months now.”

“Oh. Right.”

They fell back into silence, as if not talking about the current problem would mean they didn’t have to solve it.

The snow didn’t show any signs of stopping.

The moment was broken by the sound of very rapid hoofsteps tumbling down the stairs and towards them. Both ponies swung around to see Applebloom hurtling towards them, her limbs flying and her mane swirling around the oversized smile on her face.

“Look, I got my cutie mark!”

“Shit.”


Two hours, three cups of coffee, four bowls of oatmeal, and five scrambled eggs later, the entire family still was at a loss for words.

The sun had fully come up. The snow was still falling. Empty breakfast plates still sat on the table. Applebloom was still smiling. Applejack felt very guilty.

“If the ground freezes over we’re screwed.” Big Mac said quietly. Granny Smith glared at him for his language use but he didn’t meet her gaze.

“Yeah I know. That’s the damn problem.” Granny Smith turned her glare towards Applejack, who was also oblivious to it.

The way he looked at his sister asked what do you want me to do, but he stayed silent.

“One day of snow won’t hurt us.” Granny Smith finally said. “Now, I remember one day, must’ve been thirty years ago, when we got a blizzard way in the middle of-”

“I still wanna know what’s going on.” Applejack interrupted. Granny Smith sighed and stood up from the table, her joints nearly creaking as they moved.

“Well, I think it’s a wonderful day to bake an apple pie.” She turned to Applebloom. “Why don’t you help me, or are you too grown-up with your new cutie mark?” She said with a smile.

“Thanks, Granny, but I really wanna tell the other Crusaders about what happened!” Applebloom jumped up from the table and bounded over to the closet to grab her boots and scarf.

“Oh no you don’t.” Applejack walked up behind her sister. “I ain’t letting you out in that cold.” Applebloom’s smile faded as her eyes got bigger. But Applejack held her ground.

“Big Mac, you make sure nothing’s falling apart here on the farm. I’m gonna go figure out what’s going on out there. And I want a pie on that windowsill by the time I get back, y’hear?”

Everypony nodded, silently, frozen in place. She raised her eyebrows and they sprang into action. Satisfied, she pulled on her winter clothes and braced herself for the cold.


She walked with no real destination.

Normally, if she needed to go to Cloudsdale, she’d ask Rainbow to take her up. But her absence was the whole reason Applejack was in this damn situation.
If Dash was already up there, or busy or something, she’d ask Twilight to cast the cloudwalking spell on her and teleport them up or something. But she was busy doing important things in Canterlot.

It turns out she didn’t really have many options, so eventually she found herself in Mayor Mare’s office, her hooves slammed on the table.

“Get me up there right now.”

The mayor tried her best to keep her composure.

“It’s under control.”

“I don’t care.” She said through gritted teeth. “Get me up there.”

She took a deep breath and looked downwards as she removed her glasses. She looked back up, her dark blue eyes showing their age.

“Look, Applejack, there is truly nothing I can do. The weather ponies are fixing the problem as we speak.”

But Applejack didn’t budge.

“I still want to go talk to them myself.”

Mayor Mare shook her head.

“I’m sorry, but I’m not allowed. This is a government issue, and you don’t have that jurisdiction.”

Applejack paused for a moment, then finally retreated towards the door. But just short of leaving, she stopped and turned back around.

“You’d let me if I was still an Element of Harmony.”


Later that night, as the smell of fresh-baked pie wafted throughout the house, Applejack sat down at her desk with a quill, a sheet of parchment, and a blanket wrapped around her.

It had stopped snowing, luckily, but it was still rather cold. The press release had said a couple days of cold wouldn’t hurt anything too much, and everything would be back to normal soon, but something didn’t sit right with her.

She dipped her quill into the ink.

Dear Princess Celestia,

She wasn’t quite the letter-writing type (that had always been more of Twilight’s job), but the words came easier than snow melts in summer and before she knew it, she’d filled a full page with everything she’d been keeping inside her.

It was cathartic, and after she finished, she sat still for a few moments, just breathing in the smells of the dusty old farmhouse and fresh apple pie.

Her eyes glanced over what she’d written.

Dear Princess Celestia,

She sniffled back tears she didn’t know were welling up, then quickly stood up and crumpled the letter in her hooves.

She had to do something.

Author's Note:

So this chapter is the parallel to This Isn't a Sad Letter. The two didn't end up exactly the same, i.e. there are some definite differences in the universes that each set up, but I really wanted to incorporate it into this story, since that was the inspiration for this one.

Plus, now that finals and stuff are over, maybe I'll be productive again?