• Published 21st Jan 2015
  • 2,945 Views, 107 Comments

Follow the Wind - FrostTheWolf



It's all fun and games until you begin to turn into your own character and it happens to be a wolf. Would someone care to fill me on on how this is happening? Part of the OTverse by MidnightChaos

  • ...
9
 107
 2,945

5- Dine in at Denny's

Follow the Wind- Dine in at Dennys


It was only a few minutes before 5 o’clock when we first touched down and around now, two long hours have passed. All five of us (including Shay on top of my head), were getting really hungry around now. None of us have had anything to eat besides the snack at the airport at Starbucks and the sounds of stomachs grumbling echoed through the car. The only problem though was that we had not seen a restaurant or anywhere to stop for miles. The car’s tank was about half full from all the driving that we had done so far and now, some of us were growing restless.

“Ugh… Can we pull over for a minute?” Alex asked Chloe. “I feel something irritating my back?”

“What’s wrong? Are you sore or something?”

“No, it’s just… Something feels off.”

That last statement was one that caught my attention. Could it be another change?

‘My guess is that your brother just got his wings.’

Why do you think that, brain?

‘Remember in Sword Art Online when Leafa explained to Kirito how to fly? She said it was through the back shoulder muscles. If your brother’s back is hurting, then it might be because he hasn’t had the chance to stretch out those wings.’

That was a very good point. One point that I kept in mind when we pulled to the side of the road. My brother got out and stretched out his arms. But he was still aching. A few moments later, he took off his shirt and all of us in the car were in for a “Shocking” surprise.

‘Terrible pun, by the way.’

Shut it, brain. At least you were right!

“OOOOOH!!! Alex has wings!”

“I have what!?”

I facepalmed mentally from Alex’s over reaction. Over the past few hours, he had three changes. Same thing goes for me. He got horns, scales, and now a pair of dragon wings. I had grown a pair of wolf ears, a tail, and tribal markings that let me control certain kinds of powers. What’s next? Fur and Claws?

After ten minutes, Alex figured out how to fold his wings and get himself comfortable when he sat back down in the car. A road sign that we passed on our trip to Chicago told us that at the next exit that there was a Denny’s. So, we all made the collective decision to stop there and get some breakfast.

Chloe let us out of the car and told us to go reserve a booth while she go park the car. Upon entering though, we saw just how empty the place was. Despite Denny’s being open twenty four hours a day, seven days a week; there weren’t any customers at any of the booths or tables. My newfound hearing could hear a handheld radio playing the news nearby the kitchen. What was playing on the radio had the pony ears on top of Tao poke up in attention.

“As these cases of transformations grow rapid everyday, some of the arrivals that we have been seeing in Chicago just keeps getting bizarre. Just Yesterday, we saw one person carrying what some describe as a “Seapony” inside a fish tank. Other surprises include-.”

“Sounds like a load of BS if you-… Oh…” The clerk said as he noticed me walk up to the counter. “Guess there is some truth to this after all.”

“You can say that.” I sighed a little.

“Okay, how many people would be eating with you today, sir?”

“We have a party of five.” I told him as Chloe walked through the front of the door. The clerk, whose nametag read De’ Andre, had a look at everyone and then raised an eyebrow.

“Don’t you mean four by any chance?” He asked me. I pointed towards the top of my head, where Shay was as I felt his feet across the top of my hair. I could see him waving a little because of the reflection off of the waiter’s glasses.

“O……kay… I’ll get you seated right away.” He said, dumbfounded and surprised by the little shrunken boy that was playing with my hair. We all sat in at the dine in bar that was nearby despite Alex wanting to have a booth. We were soon greeted by a waitress, who surprised us all when she recognized Chloe.

When Chloe looked back up, her eyes widened. “Aunt Jen!? Is that you?! I-i didn’t know that you worked here.”

“Been working here for a long time, honey. Never expected you to be here out of all places though,” She started by asking us what drinks we would like. I asked for two waters (one for Shay and one for me), Alex asked for a Sprite, Chloe asked for a Coke, and Tao asked for Pink Lemonade. While she went to get them, Chloe began to tell us that she had family out here in Indiana, but never exactly knew where they lived. So running into her aunt here was actually a big surprise for her.

It didn’t take long for Jen to come back with the drinks we ordered. “So, Chloe. How’s your little brother doing these days.”

This… almost caused Chloe to choke on her drink. She then looked directly at me. “Well…”

“CANNONBALL!!”

A loud SPLASH! went off in one of the glasses of water that I had. It didn’t take long for me to notice that Shay was actually swimming inside his drink.

‘Well, just when I thought we’ve seen everything…’

“Was that… Shay?”

“Hi Aunt Jenny! When did you get here?”

“Uh… I work here.”

“Oh… I did not know that.” The little twelve year old said while resting on a straw like it was a tree trunk.

“Just what exactly happened to you though?” Jen asked as she tried to use her index finger to tickle Shay. Doing so though caused his breezie wings to spring forth as Shay couldn’t control his laughter. The waitress was mixed with surprise and shock on her face as I tried to make sure no one knocked over Shay’s small swimming pool.

“Are those… wings?”

“He’s not the only one though, Aunt Jen.” Chloe told her, taking off the hood she had on her head to cover her fox ears. I honestly didn’t even noticed that she had a hood on until I saw her take it off.

“Does this somehow involve the reports on the radio about the transformations going on across the country?”

I nod my head, answering her question. To my surprise, Tao decided to move next to me so she could play a bit with Shay by stirring around the contents inside the glass and poking him with her straw. The two of them seemed to be having fun while we were talking to Jen. A few moments later, she took our orders and made a special case for Shay, allowing him to have small pancake droplets due to his change in size. Tao herself ordered a chocolate chip and peanut butter stack of pancakes while I personally ordered a build-your-own grand slam with Pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage. Alex himself ordered an ultimate skillet and Chloe rounded out the order with an ultimate omelet without any cheese. Jen herself handed the small order sheet to the cooks in the kitchen and then poured herself a strong cup of coffee. Possibly a way for her to stay awake and focused since she didn’t get the chance to purchase a five hour energy or something like that.

“So. What exactly are you transforming into?” She then asked us.

“Earth Pony.”

“Breezie.”

“Wolf.”

“Fox-pony.”

“Dragon.”

Something told me that we should’ve explained a little bit more about it after seeing the facial expression of the Waitress and her just looking at us like “What the hell are you guys talking about?” Sighing, I began the explanation; telling her that our transformations are based on characters we made that were based on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Alex himself abruptly commented, making sure to say that he wasn’t a fan like up and he did not know how exactly he got himself involved in this wacky experiment gone wrong.

‘Who even uses the work wacky?’

You tell me, brain. I honestly don’t know.

‘Probably people who don’t know how to use proper vocabulary.’

Hold on, are you saying that my brother doesn’t know how to speak proper english?

‘No… Ugh… Just redirect your focus back to Jen. She’s talking again.’

Ah right. Thanks.

“So, you’re going to Chicago so that way you can find out what’s going on and possibly find a way to return to normal?”

“Yeah. That’s pretty much it.”

“Aww… but I don’t want Shay to go back to normal. He’s too darn cute in this form!!” Tao groaned a little as she tried cheering herself up by using her finger to cuddle Shay’s little body. The small Breezie boy was pretty ticklish, bursting into laughter the moment she started rubbing his small belly. Tao didn’t stop there though. Next, she helped him dry off using a paper towel she got from the restroom and also gave Shay a small straw that you would find at a coffee shop so he could drink his beverage without making an unnecessary splash inside the swimming pool again. I chuckled a little, seeing that this was a little bit silly to watch. Like I mentioned earlier on the flight to Indianapolis, Shay was the “King of snuggling” and seeing him get along with Tao like this made me think that she was the “Queen of Cuddling”. Like how Pinkie Pie would go to extreme lengths to make her friends happy, Tao went to extreme lengths to make Shay feel happy.

Our conversation was interrupted when we heard the cook tell Jen that our order was done. The Waitress turned around, grabbing each of the plates that were set out for us and handed each one of our orders to us. My grand slam, Chloe’s omelette, Alex’s skillet, Tao’s pancakes and Shay’s pancake droplets (Free of charge!!).

“Woohoo!! Thanks! Let’s dig in!!”

That’s what my brother said before using his utensils to tear into his food. It made me think that the changes of him becoming a dragon were affecting his tastes and eating habits. He tore into the steak and hash browns like how a predator in the Sahara eats their prey after catching it.

‘Well, that thought will just disturb me every time I think of the Lion King now.’

Calm yourself, Brain. My brother isn’t going to turn into a predator. Besides, I’m not worried.

‘How are you’re not worried?’

Uhh… Hakuna Matata?

‘ …… Ah hell, whatever works.’

We all began to eat our food and also enjoy each others company as this served as a small break away from all the madness that was going on in the world with people turning into ponies. The thought of it made me think about some stories on FIMfiction based on the theme of the ‘Conversion Bureau’, but I knew for a fact that this was not on purpose. The Radio said that a pair of teenagers were claiming responsibility for all of this, but I was a little skeptical. Whatever the case, I hope those two have some kind of plan in order to fix this. Because right now, with everything happening on our trip so far, right now is the only chance we had to catch a break and take a much needed breather.

Because something tells me that the rest of this trip is going to teach me the very definition of insanity better than Vaas from Farcry 3.


End Chapter 5

Author's Note:

Just a short quick one I came up with to keep the story rolling. I thought of this chapter after reading a story about Luna ending up at Denny's, so I thought I give it a shot.

-Frost

P.S. I won't be able to release any other chapters yet due to me being away from my google docs and my computer. Enjoy!