• Published 23rd Jan 2015
  • 1,204 Views, 23 Comments

Un-Broken - FictionFreek



There is nothing more on this planet that Amber wanted then to give birth to her own child. But her hopes were crushed when she was told that it couldn't happen, she was broken. But a close friend isn't willing to accept that and she's going to help.

  • ...
0
 23
 1,204

Chapter 1

Canterlot was always a place of mass activity, dozens upon hundreds of people either driving through the streets or walking along the sidewalk. With so many people going about their way in large crowds it can be a bit overwhelming to someone from out of town. And a woman who could only see blurs, this was made even more difficult. Anthea, or Annie as her friends call her was having a hard time making her way through the busy streets. With so much moving at once all she could see were a rainbow of blurs blending together. It was very different than the calmer roads of Ponyville.

Thankfully though her husband T was by her side guiding her to their destination. Eventually they came across the building they were searching for. “Where almost there.” T informed Annie as the two of them made their way towards the elevator. As it began to climb to the appropriate floor T noticed that Annie’s hold on his arm tightened slightly.

“Nervous?” he asked.

“A little.” She said, but the truth is that the butterflies in her stomach were going crazy. It wasn’t doubt that was filling her but the uncertainty of what was going to happen “I’m just wondering what she’ll say.” She added after a short silence. T raised his other hand and placed it on Annie’s so that he could pull her closer. Leaning in her gave her a reassuring kiss on the head.

“We won’t know until we try.” The elevator slowed to a stop as it reached it designated floor, opening its doors so that those riding it may exit. Finally Annie and T found themselves at their destination, the door towards the end of the hall. Annie took in a deep breath before raising her hand to knock, but before she could she felt another hand grab hold of hers.

“Hold on.” T said as he turned Annie to face him.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

“I know we talked about this already, but I want to hear it one last time.” Now holding both of her hands T looked down directly at Annie’s face. Though he knew she couldn’t see like everyone else he also knew what she looked like when she was being serious. “Are you sure you want to do this?” he asked. Annie smiled at T’s concern, using his arms as a guide Annie managed to fine his face, holding it to insure she was looking directly at it.

“I’ve never been more sure of anything in my life,” she said “I want to do this, I can’t turn back now.” The look Annie was giving T was one filled with total certainty and dedication. Fully convinced that Annie had no doubts, T turned back towards the door and gave it several knocks. They didn’t have to wait long maybe a minute before they heard the locks coming on done.

The door opened to reveal one of the people living in the home, one of Annie’s oldest friends, Lucky Star. Lucky looked surprised to see them standing at the door but greeted them with a warm smile none the less “Well isn’t this a surprise,” he said.

“Hey Lucky,” said Annie. “You’re not busy are you?”

“Not at all, whatcha need?” he asked.

“I was wondering if I could talk to Amber, is she home?” a small frown formed on Lucky’s face at the mention of Amber. Turing his head slightly to look back inside of his home he let out a small sigh.

“Yeah, she’s here.” He said “But I’m not sure if now is the best time.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Well I know she told you about what happened, right?” Amber nodded, she could never forget how much pain she heard in her friend’s voice that day. “Her moods have been very unsteady since then. Sometimes her low moods will hit without warning, then she just tries to shut everything out.” Rubbing his arm Lucky leaned against the door frame and let out a small sigh “I try what I can to help her but there are times when she just budge.”

Annie could feel a lump form in her chest, it was just as bad as she thought. She’d only learned about this recently too, she would only imagine how long Amber had been dealing with this. Days, weeks, all this time trying to come to terms with something that was out of her control. She couldn’t let this continue, she won’t.

“Let me talk to her.” Lucky looked down on Annie with furrowed brows. He didn’t want her to see Amber as she was now, and he was sure Amber wouldn’t want to be seen either.

“Annie I don’t think-“

“Please…” she plead, once again a look of determination spread across her face “Let me try.” Lucky continued to stare at Annie, his mind was still telling him that this wasn’t the time. But he didn’t have the heart to turn Annie away.

“Okay,” he said standing aside. He was about to walk in and lead them to Amber, but before he could he felt a hand hold on to him.

“Actually Lucky, I was wondering if I could do this alone.” Lucky turned to see Annie had walked in with him, T still standing outside. This request seemed strange to him, though he trusted Annie he still had to ask.

“Why?”

“You’ll find out soon, but for now I just ask that you trust me.” Lucky rubbed the back of his head, he still wanted to know what Annie wanted to say to Amber. He stood there in silence for a little longer, wondering what would be so important that it had to be said in private. But in the end her agree, patting Annie on the head as he walked out of the door.

“Good luck.”


She sat on the sofa in the far corner of the living room, a freshly opened can of beer in her hands. Her eyes were locked on the window next to the sofa, her gaze focused on the moving clouds of the sky. As she sat there she began to wonder what brought about her mood change this time, she recalled having a pleasant morning before it happened. He recalled hearing something, something that caused her to close this very window. She almost found it laughable, being depressed about something she couldn’t even remember.


Laughter…

Now she remembers, she heard laughing coming from outside of the window. The laughter of children playing, having the times of their lives. There was a time when hearing that warmed her heart, but now it only served as a cruel reminder of what she could never have. She’d tried to close the window before it could hit her, but by then the damage had already been done. Now she sat alone, trying to drink away the pain.

“Amber?” she let out a small gasp as the voice disrupted the silence around her. Turning her head Amber saw who it belong to.

“Annie?” she said “W-when did you get here?” though Amber knew that Annie wouldn’t see what she looked like, she still tried to fix herself up a little.

“Just now, Lucky let me in.” Amber blinked, she had been so out of it she didn’t even hear the front door. Without saying another word Annie walked up to the sofa, using her hand to feel for where it was. “How are you holding up?” she asked as she sat down next to Amber. She didn’t answer at first, just leaned back on her sofa and let out a small sigh. She wanted to say that she was doing better, that she was trying to get her life back on track. But that would have been a lie, one she knew Annie would catch.

“Not so good…” she answered finally. “I want to get this behind me, I really do, but no matter how hard I try it just keeps pulling me down. Not matter what I do or try I’ll always be broken.” Annie flinched at the word, she wished that Amber wouldn’t use it to describe herself but she was too adamant about it. But now that she did, it was probably Annie’s best chance to bring up what she came to say.

“Amber, I need to ask you something.” She said.

“Yeah?”

“Last time we talked, you told me you were infertile. But you never explained what you mean by that.” Amber’s grip on her beer tightened slightly at this. She’d tried hard to keep that out of her mind, even if it wasn’t successful.

“Annie, please, I’d rather not talk about this.” Annie could sympathize with her, there was no way this would be easy for her. But she needed to know, not just for herself but for Amber’s sake as well.

“I know it’s hard,” raising her hand, Annie placed it on Amber’s shoulder “And I know I couldn’t even begin to understand how you must feel. But I also know you trusted me enough to tell me when something was wrong. So please, tell me the whole story.” Amber placed her hand on top of Annie’s welcoming the reassuring touch. Annie was right, she did trust her, more than anyone else.

“Okay…” she said “The problem is in my ovaries, they just can’t produce eggs anymore. And even if they do somehow manage to make one it won’t mature.” Letting go of Annie’s hand Amber placed her on her stomach, slowly she rubbed it as she talked.

“I’ve tried all kinds of medication but none of them work.” Feeling sorrows begin to grow again, Amber raised her beer to her lips. “There’s just nothing I can do…” Annie sat quietly as she heard Amber down the contents of her drink. Though the story itself was sad, what Amber said brought a small sliver of joy to her.

“Perfect.”

“I went to my doctor before coming here you know,” she said “Even before I had oasis she told me that I was incredibly fertile. She said that even now I wouldn’t have any trouble having kids.” Annie’s words felt like a hot knife in her side. Putting her beer down she turned to glare at her. She had just told her that she couldn’t have kids, and explained why, and now she decided to tell her this?

Why?

“Oh I get it!’ she said as she got up from her seat “You came here to gloat, is that it!?” in her anger Amber crushed the can in her hand, the liquid inside spilling out of it. Annie was caught off guard by Amber’s sudden surge of rage.

“What, no I-“

“Shut up!” Amber yelled as she spiked her can on the ground. “I thought you were my friend Annie, why would you do this?” she asked.

“Amber wait, you don’t understand I-“

“I don’t want to hear it!” Amber yelled cutting Annie off again. “I told you this in trust and now you decided to rub it in my face. Get out!” not giving Annie time to respond Amber made her way to the kitchen, opening the fridge she pulled out another can of beer. But just as she was about to open it something interrupted her. To Ambers surprise Annie had followed her to the kitchen and slapped the can out of her hands. Now it was Annie’s turn to be angry.

“If you’d let me get two words out I could finish what I was saying!” Annie was one who like her adopted mother Fluttershy rarely got angry. And also like her mother whenever she did get angry there was no on who could stand up to her. So in a sense of shock Amber stood in silence, allowing Annie to finish.

“Like I said, my eggs are incredibly fertile, they’d have no trouble maturing.” Annie’s gaze softened as she placed a hand over her stomach. “And what I mean by that is that they would have an easy time making a baby, be it inside of me,” before she finished Annie reached out her hand, gently placing it on Ambers.

“Or someone else…” Amber let out a small gasp, not because of Annie’s touch, but because of what she said.

“Someone else…?”

“Annie, what are you saying?” she asked, though part of her already knew.

“My eggs, take them, take as many as you need.”

“A-Annie, it’s not that simple,” said Amber, having studied medicine herself she would know.

“I know, but I spent days in Ponyville doing research, I even talked with Nurse Readheart.” said Annie “I know very well what it takes to do this, and I’m willing to do it, for you.” Amber felt tears running down her cheeks. Annie was practically offering her the world, and she had just yelled at her.

“But why, why would you go through with this for me?” she asked.

“You gave a lot for me when I was younger, you were my rock and my role model.” Said Annie “I know you did it out of the goodness of your heart but I have always wanted to find a way to repay you for it, to show you how much it meant to me.” Raising her hand Annie managed to wipe away some of Amber’s tears. “You’re my best friend Amber, please, let me do this for you.”

Amber’s emotions got the better of her, lunging forward she wrapped her arms around Annie for a hug. Annie didn’t make an effort to move away, she simply wrapped her arms around Amber, giving her all the time she needed to let it out. “But…but what if it doesn’t work?” she asked. “What if after going through all of that I still can’t have a child?”

“Then we’ll keep trying until it does.” Said Annie as she pushed Amber back slightly so that she could look at her. “I know you Amber, just as much as you know me, I know that you’re not the type of person who will give up without a fight. And now I want to give you that chance, so please Lil, don’t start now.”

A fighting chance…

That’s right, that’s the reason this affected her so much, because it was something that was out of her control. But now Annie was willing to give her that control, to give her a chance to fight for what she wanted. And she was going to grab hold of that chance, so wiping away the rest of her tears Amber stood on her own again, looking down on Annie with the first genuine smile she’d had in a long time.

“Where do we start?”

Author's Note:

Sometimes it's harder to accept something when you aren't given a fighting chance. But when a chance does present itself, be sure to grab hold of it and never let go.

This fic will focus less on the technical aspects of in vitro and surrogacy and more on Ambers attempt to gather herself and set her life straight again. Hope you all like it!