• Published 19th Jan 2015
  • 483 Views, 2 Comments

The Chronicles of Summer Rain, Vol. 9 -- Future Perfect - shysage



A few years ago, the Phantom Alicorn had a vivid dream, that we understood to be a warning at the time. Now, years later, why did the Portal thrust us decades into that same future?

  • ...
24
 2
 483

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 28, Making Amends

I had a bad dream that night. It was about coming back through the Portal, just like I had two weeks ago maybe. In this dream, I kept going around the halls inside the Crystal Palace. I just couldn't find any stairs, or doors even. I couldn't get out. I kept walking, and found just continuous, slowly curved hallways... Over the course of the night, I woke up a few times, fell back asleep, just dove into the same bad dream...

In my dream, I was crying, and that's how I woke up in the morning. I found Shysage, right next to me of course, and he hugged me tightly right away, and I started to relax. I don't like bad dreams.

But I did remember the letter from my Twin (Equestria Girls Summer Rain), and that made me weep softly. These were tears of joy. I really missed her, well here and now...

I asked Shysage if they would come see us. Shysage hugged me tightly again. "My Twin is mayor of Manehattan, and won't be able to leave any time soon. Would you leave me to go visit your Twin all by yourself?"

Just thinking about this made me cry. I am pretty attached to my Stallion. Shysage's point was that our Twins were, are the same way.

"We will see about visiting them when we can" Shysage said thoughtfully. Nopony knew when that might be, and Shysage and I both knew it. Still, I think we both knew a trip to Canterlot then Manehattan with both Fluttershys would probably be in the works at some point in the near future. I could ask true friend anyway...

Everypony was up by now, and Princess Twilight sent us all out to find some breakfast after reminding us to hurry back for more Canterlot Recording.

The Fluttershy and Shyna Twins joined Shysage and I and four Panther friends, as we walked out to the meadow to the East like we normally do. Equestria Girls Fluttershy was still a mess, weeping on and off. Her Twin was on one side, and I was on the other, and we cried with her.

Well, I wanted to cheer her up anyway. "Shysage said, when we can, we will take the trip to Manehattan..." I couldn't say anything more, and the three of us just cried. But I didn't need to finish. We all knew what that meant.

We managed to calm down, and sent the girls off for some food. We ate some and got a drink too. At about the same time, we all converged back on that small hill, and laid on our bellies. Us girls were trying to not cry.


Shysage, both Shynas, well all of us... We were all laying on our bellies next to each other, just staring off across the meadow to the East, away from Ponyville.

At about the same time, we all noticed another pony walking slowly and hesitantly towards us. Unicorn, light Brown coat, dark Brown mane and tail. Shysage said a stallion.

When he thought this other pony could hear, Shysage yelled "It's ok, come on over. We won't bite!"

We all laughed, but the stallion did not. But he did continue to slowly make his way over to us. He was constantly looking around, as if searching...

In this Equestria, we really didn't know what to expect. But a lone stallion... I doubted I would need to be the Phantom Alicorn.

It took him a few more minutes, but he finally made it over to us. He came to within maybe ten feet of the rest of us, then he sat down.

It was quiet for a minute, and Shysage again spoke "How can we help you?"

The stallion thought for a minute. "I'm... I'm looking for a Unicorn mare... That used too... Well, that was... here..."

Well, I don't know why, maybe a mare's intuition... But I was pretty sure I knew who this stallion was, and more importantly, what he had done...

Doing a poor job of concealing the anger growing inside me, I asked quickly "Did you do something to this mare you should not have?"

Immediately, the stallion fell to the ground, and cried...

Just then, our four Panther animal friends ran back up to us. They ignored the stallion, and gathered around us. But the stallion turned white as a ghost, he was clearly scared to death...

I did not want to leave Shysage. But at this point, I had to.

I said curtly "Mister, don't even move..."

I sent the Shyna Twins quickly to the Castle to collect Princess Twilight and a bunch of ponies.

Both Fluttershys didn't know the details, but they must have just felt... Sis and her Twin moved around, some distance behind the stallion, and took Dawn and Filicia with them. This stallion probably would not try to run, even if he could.

I waited until I saw a bunch of ponies walking across the meadow towards us, then I went to Dawn's and brought just Camille back. I didn't tell Camille why, but she realized it was pretty important. Dawn the elder didn't mind watching her grand-daughter for a little while.

Princess Twilight, her Twin and a bunch of ponies walked up to Shysage and the other stallion, then stopped. Shysage asked everyone to just wait for now. I think he may have figured it out too.

I was angry, I won't lie. I waited until all the other ponies were seated, then I slowly led Camille around to where the Stallion could see her.

"Is this the mare?" I asked, again rather curtly. If I was right, then what he had done...

The stallion looked up at Camille only briefly, then looked quickly back down, burst into hysterical tears, then buried his head in the grass between his front hooves...

Camille looked at me, and asked quietly... "Is this the one that..."

I sighed... "Probably..."

Camille looked down at this stallion and began to cry softly, right away...

I think Princess Twilight was already getting some input. "Summer, I think this is important. Can you tell us all a little more?"

The stallion was still crying, almost hysterical in the grass. Well he tried to explain...

"I... I did it... I can't believe... I... I was so lonely... There was just nopony left... Across the... meadow... She was so... so beautiful... I couldn't... I didn't want... to... to stop..."

The stallion got this far, then could not talk any more, and just cried hysterically in the grass some more.

After a minute maybe, he started saying over and over again... "I'm so sorry... I'm so sorry..."

Except for that, it was quiet for a few minutes.

Then I answered Princess Twilight's question, slowly. "Princess, maybe two years ago, this stallion found Camille in the meadow, knocked her over, and almost knocked her out... He took what he wanted, and ran off... Camille had a foal as a result..."

When the stallion crying in the grass heard about a foal, he cried even harder...

Princess Twilight said "I see", then was deep in thought herself. Then she added "I'm not sure what..."

It was quiet for a minute maybe. Nopony moved...

...

"Princess Twilight, if I may..."

It was Princess Celestia (Cel), and everypony immediately opened a path for she and Lu (Princess Luna) as they both walked forward.

And I knew my role in this was secondary from here on. That was fine with me. Shysage and I backed away and let Equetria's Princesses do their job, taking care of Equestria's ponies.

And both Fluttershys called Rose and Alyssa over to them, around and a good distance behind this stallion.

It is doubtful this stallion had ever before seen any of Equestria's Princesses, but he probably knew from what he had heard, who he now faced. And he knew there were four huge and hungry Panthers behind him. He stopped crying as much and just said once and quietly "I'm dead... I deserve this..." He left his head in the grass, eyes closed, and cried softly.

Again, it was quiet for a few minutes as Equestria's Princesses were deep in thought.

"Stallion, your name please" Princess Celestia said.

"Maple Song" came quietly back. He didn't even move.

"Maple Song, what you have done is terrible, and your actions have put this mare through a nightmare" Princess Celestia said forcefully.

"Yes..." came also quietly back.

It was quiet for a minute.

Lu (Princess Luna) asked "Maple Song, why did you come back?"

Maple Song was again crying hysterically in the grass. "I wanted... To try... I wanted to try to make things right... I felt so bad... So much guilt... I really am sorry... I hurt so much... so much more after... I just want to try... To see if anything..." This was all he could say as his tears took over again.

Except for that, it was quiet again for a minute, maybe. Then Princess Celestia said officially "According to Equestrian Law, you must pay for what you have done. A very lengthy prison term, and a substantial monetary fine, paid to this mare, this is the usual result. But in this particular situation, the law gives the violated mare a certain voice in the outcome."

I looked over at Camille; it was really her turn, and I don't think she knew it.

Camille looked back at me, then Camille looked at Princess Celestia, who was looking gently back at her.

Camille burst into tears herself. I got up at this point, walked over next to her, and hugged her tightly. Camille cried for quite a while, then she tried to explain, slowly, still sobbing loudly herself...

"I don't... I don't want... My daughter... She needs... She needs to know... who... She needs to know her father... She needs... this... She needs... him..."

Camille had to stop for a few minutes and cry... Then she tried to keep going.

"I don't want her... I don't want her to live... to live... never know... to live not knowing... Like... Like I did... I just never knew... I never had... It was awful... It was terrible... I don't want... that... for my Dawn..."

Camille got this far, then was crying hysterically. The anguish of never knowing her father had evidently ripped her apart, and she didn't want that for her daughter.

Equestria's Princesses, well all of us were crying now, to varying degrees.

Princess Luna asked quietly "Camille, how can Equestria help you?"

Camille didn't even need to think, and she immediately cried out loudly "I want him to never, ever leave his daughter... He needs to always be there for her, from now on... And if that means... My precious Dawn is just worth so much more than... this..."

Camille had to stop, and just cried as I hugged her...

Well, we all did...

Princess Celestia, tears still dripping down...

"Maple Song, you have two choices. You can marry this mare, be the perfect Stallion, and take amazing care of your foal, and any others that you both may have, or you can--"

Maple Song was sure he was dreaming. He said quietly "Wait, what?"

Princess Luna spoke quietly, also herself, crying...

"Maple Song, Camille is willing to marry you, just so her daughter can know you, her father. But you had better be sure that we will all have our eyes on you, and you had better be the best Stallion, the best father... Otherwise, you will spend probably the rest of your life in jail, working on various public works projects around Equestria..."

Maple Song seemed stunned briefly, then got slowly up. He walked slowly over to a now mostly quiet Camille.

"Camille, is this true?" he asked quietly.

Camille was quickly fighting back tears. Still, she said right away "Yes."

Maple Song walked over to Equestria's two Princesses and bowed. "Never in my life did I expect this outcome. I will do as you say. I want desparately the very thing you have offered me, and I know I don't deserve this second chance..."

Maple Song then started crying again...

Well, the revived Equestria's first wedding was about to take place. Princess Celestia, mostly recovered, tried to make it happen.

"Maple Song, please stand up, and Camille, you really should stand next to him..."

This could have been very awkward, but Camille and Maple Song were quickly hugging tightly, crying buckets together. The two of them cried together for a while. This was fine, I had time to go fetch both Dawns. Dawn the elder made the trip slowly once I told her it was important. And, as soon as Dawn the elder saw Camille and Maple Song crying, she was crying too.

"Gramma, who is that stallion mommy is hugging?" Dawn the younger asked quietly.

"Dawn honey, I'll let your mommy tell you." Dawn the elder managed to say this much, anyway.

Ok, so Maple Song, Camille, then both Dawns stood before Equestria's Princesses. Once it was mostly calm...

Princess Luna said quietly "Maple Song, you need to ask Camille if she will marry you."

"Camille, most beautiful Unicorn in Equestria, will you marry me?" This came quickly out, and didn't seem forced at all.

Camille smiled at Maple Song. "Yes" she said simply.

Picking up her royal tone, as much as she could, she pronounced "Based on the laws of the realm of Equestria, and your mutual acceptance of this proposal, and barring any other, I now pronounce you Stallion and Mare."

Camille and Maple Song were hugging and crying again.

After a minute maybe, Dawn the younger almost shouted... "Mommy, who is this stallion?"

Camille immediately stopped, turned, hugged her daughter tightly, then looked into her daughter's eyes, and said quietly "Dawn, honey, this is your father. He is the one who... gave you to me. He is going to stay..."

Both Dawns and Camille were crying buckets together, as Maple Song... for the first time... hugged his daughter...

We all cried together there for a while...

...

After we all managed to settle down, Princess Twilight said quietly "Maple Song, do you have any special abilities that might help Equestria put itself back together?"

Head down to Princess Twilight, Maple Song said quietly "I am a Paint Maker. And from the looks of your town, I think I can be very busy..."

Hearing this, Princess Celestia jumped in right away. Maple Song, please consider providing Ponyville with the paint to rebuild; that is a part of your punishment.

"Yes, Princess, I will" Maple Song replied quietly. "And thank you..."


Leaving Dawn's amazing and newly expanded family crying together in the meadow, the rest of us walked back to the Castle.

What I really wanted to do was turn into the Phantom Alicorn, look Maple Song in the eyes, and say "You better be good mister, we live right next to Dawn's, and we will be watching you..."

I chickened out, and just cried instead. And I had no idea how long Shysage and I would even be here...

And I guessed on the way that Equestria's three Princesses, along with their Twins, had a serious discussion while we were walking to the Castle. We soon found out.

Once to the Castle, Princess Twilight had us all relax in the grass together. As usual, the Fluttershys and Shynas joined us further away, as we relaxed with four Panther animal friends.

When it was clear everypony was here, Princess Celestia addressed all of us.

"Amazing pony friends, living here with you all has been amazing. I have treasured each of you for many years, but to actually live among you..."

Cel and Lu hugged briefly, then Cel continued.

"We have all together witnessed first hand a civil case like Lu and I have seen many times. This time, there was amazingly a happy ending. Usually, it is much worse.

"But dealing with Camille and Maple Song, both Lu and I felt... Equestria is calling my sister and I... We both must return to Canterlot as soon as possible.

"I will let Shining Armor dictate the details, but we will probably walk to Canterlot tomorrow or the next day. In the very least, I think mom, well the Phantom Alicorn and dad will need to come. And Shining Armor may want Princess Twilight and the Elements of Harmony to accompany us, as well as the Filia and Fiona Twins. Our safety is Shining Armor's job, and we will do as he says.

"Still, our amazing time here must soon come to an end, I think. I think Equestria wants us where we belong. I think Equestria needs us back in Canterlot."

Everypony understood, but still wept softly at this news. We knew it had to happen at some point, but still. Shysage and I especially... This would just hurt. There were no Air Coaches for quick visits. We would need fly to Canterlot and back...

Well, clearly Equestria had to come first...

Cel and Lu put together the following letter to Shining Armor.

Shining Armor,

Princess Luna and I feel strongly that we need to return to Canterlot very soon, maybe tomorrow. We will entrust the details of the trip to you, but we sense a matter of urgency. Please send the Shyna Twins back with your response.

Princess Celestia
Princess Luna
Princess Twilight

Cel wanted us to write a copy of this down so it could go into a later chapter when we finally record it.

The Shyna Twins were soon off, on their way to Canterlot with the letter in a sack around one of their necks. It was only around noon, so we were sure these amazing Pegasi would be back in maybe two hours.

...

Princess Twilight sent everypony out for an afternoon of Twin Time, but warned everypony to be back for dinner at the Castle.

The Celestia and Luna Twins headed off for a walk by themselves around Ponyville.

The Applejack and Rainbow Dash Twins walked out to the farm together.

The Raritys and Fionas headed for the Boutique. I found out later that they successfully got some ponies from Helping Hands to come work on her roof, while they cleaned up on the inside.

Both Fluttershys and Shysage and I headed to the Cottage with our animal friends. Us girls pretty much hugged together, and cried on and off the whole afternoon. Shysage was never far, but he thought through some chapters.

The Twilight and Filia Twins stayed at the Castle for more magic fun. Well the Pinkie Pie Twins stayed at the Castle too, but spent the afternoon in the kitchen with the Cakes, eating or cooking or something, maybe all three.

Maybe two and a half hours later, the Shyna Twins landed in the clearing next to us at the Cottage, and just joined our hugging and crying. We knew it would be our dinner time soon, so we sent our Panther friends off to find their dinner, and they were back a little while later.

...

Our walk to the Castle was slow and quiet. Our animal friends stayed with us. I think us girls were just emotionally spent. The last two weeks had been a blur, and maybe everything was catching up with us, I don't know. I think I leaned on Shysage most of the way back.

Leaving the Panthers outside, we found everypony else already back in the Library.

Princess Celestia read Shining Armor's response.

Equestria's Princesses,

Princess Quarters are ready, but we have no kitchen staff at present.

Still, I agree that your presence here is probably best.

Tomorrow morning a guard will arrive, and you will accompany him to Canterlot. The Phantom Alicorn should come with you as well, but the rest can stay at the Castle in Ponyville. Should a need arise, they can gather in the Council Room, and Equestria will quickly transport them all to Canterlot.

You can report any last minute additions or changes to the guard who arrives to escort you.

Respectfully, Shining Armor

I just sighed.

Princess Celestia asked if there were any questions.

Equestria pony Pinkie Pie thought we should ask and see if some of the Cake family would be interested in working in the kitchen in Canterlot for a little while.

Princess Twilight quickly did this. Pound Cake and his Mare would accompany us and fill in until more staff could be hired in Canterlot.

I told Shysage quietly that I really didn't want to leave Rose here... I guess he agreed, and quickly thought everything through.

"Cel, I would like to suggest that the Fluttershy Twins and the four Panthers accompany us. They were a huge help on the last road trip we made" Shysage mentioned.

Cel and Lu had both read or heard about that. Cel thought a minute. "I think that will work fine."

And I also had to wonder if a trip to Manehattan might have been in Shysage's thoughts. I'm sure he would pull that off if he could. And we probably would need our Panther friends for that.

Well, dinner was amazing, and desert was too.

Bedtime came early. We had a long walk tomorrow. I snuggled up next to Shysage, and was soon asleep.



PreviousChapters Next