• Published 19th Jan 2015
  • 484 Views, 2 Comments

The Chronicles of Summer Rain, Vol. 9 -- Future Perfect - shysage



A few years ago, the Phantom Alicorn had a vivid dream, that we understood to be a warning at the time. Now, years later, why did the Portal thrust us decades into that same future?

  • ...
24
 2
 484

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27, Canterlot Recording, Part 2

Shysage and I, we slept together with everypony else in the Library that night. There was occasional weeping during the course of the night still, but I think we all slept ok.

And I had to wonder why Cel (Princess Celestia), Lu (Princess Luna) and their Twins didn't sleep by themselves in a different room. Well, the Filia and Fiona Twins weren't sleeping in what used to be their room either. We all slept together in the Library.

I quietly asked Shysage. He said he felt that what had happened... Well, we were all in this together. Equestria gave all of us a second chance. So now, we were all basically on equal footing, was the phrase he used. Everypony wanted to stay together. I think he was right.

And Shysage explained a little more. It didn't matter that he, Fluttershy and I had fast forwarded (Shysage's words again) past all the tough stuff... We were just as much a part of this second chance. Shysage said this was another reason why... Well, he couldn't say more.

I scooted over as close to Shysage as I could, and I briefly rubbed his nose with mine, just once. That helped him calm down. And really, that was all I felt we could do, everypony else was starting to wake up. I love him so much...

After everypony was awake, the three Princesses and their Twins had some sort of meeting. Then Princess Twilight said this. "Ok girls, I want everypony to go out and get some breakfast. Then come back here to the Library, it's time for more Canterlot Recording."

That pretty much defined the day for Shysage and I. We didn't mind.

Everypony preferred that both Fluttershys, Shysage and I go out first, and take care of our Panther guards! We didn't mind, and the Shynas came too. We were off to the meadow to the East.

As we passed by Dawn's, she and Camille were sitting out front, talking together. Camille's foal was with them also, of course.

When she saw us, Camille spoke up quickly. "Summer, we need your input. Helping Hands is pretty crowded, and some of the ponies want to fix up your home next door, so we can have more room. Would that be ok?"

Shysage said that would be fine, and they could just throw stuff they didn't want out back, and we would go through it later. Shysage also asked that they move the Royal Red couch into a corner somewhere inside, and just leave it, for now.

Well, at least he could talk. I was busy hugging and crying with Dawn and her family.

It was uncanny though, I remembered this in pretty good detail from my dream. And I know that neither Dawn nor Camille had any clue about the specifics...

We headed into the meadow, and got some breakfast. Our animal friends ran off, and did the same thing. And Rose seemed to have recovered most of the way from her injuries. I was glad about that. I think she loves running like I love flying. Rose is just an animal, but...

Well, we couldn't take our time, not this morning. Too soon, we were all on our way back to the Castle. We fussed with our animal friends outside for a little while, then joined everypony else inside.


It was clear that Cel and Lu and their Twins wanted a front row seat for the Canterlot Recorder process. Equestria's Princesses had both seen the results, but with them here, today...

Like our last time doing this together, the Filias and Fionas took turns doing the writing. Paper and quills were in good supply in the Castle, and there was plenty of ink.

Everypony helped, and Shysage and I (mostly me) did the final, well, sourcing, for the words we recorded. Don't get me wrong, it was truly a group effort, and just about everypony had valuable input. Still, Canterlot Recording for today went very slowly. And we spent a lot of time crying together...

Our last day together doing Canterlot Recorder stuff, we covered the time up through the Equestria Girls trip from the Portal, including their arrival in Ponyville.

My Stallion had worked through some rough notes for the next few chapters, and we started into that.

The night after the Equestria Girls arrived in Ponyville; that night was emotionally tumultuous (Shysage suggested that) for a lot of reasons, and a lot happened. Equestria Girls Twilight and I both remembered being so totally overwhelmed at seeing each other again that evening... We both stopped and cried together for a little while.

We packed into Dawn's for that night, and there was barely room for all of us to lay down. The night was hard anyway, with the last Twin, Equestria pony Rarity, showing up in the middle of the night. And for Rare to even show up there, on just that night...

And Princess Twilight's Twin had a vivid dream shortly before dawn... We all woke up again, to Twilight's loud crying, but her dream actually... I think Equestria really gave her that dream, to show her how to bring everypony back together... Well, it worked...

We were about to start in on the chapter about our trip together to rescue our Princess...

Princess Twilight, crying already, said she first needed to do a chapter about her experiences between our first visit, and the day we all came... We weren't going to argue with her, but she was right anyway.

Princess' chapter came together very slowly. She was crying with her Twin the whole time. And as she walked through those few days, it became even more clear, that both Twilights had simply come to the end of, well, everything, only to have Equestria snatch them both back.

We all ended up crying with our Princess as she described those days... And being able to see the progression of her thoughts through that time period... And Equestria refusing to let Princess go... That was just amazing... And I think our Princess ended up being embarrassed about what she described. But I don't think any pony present felt anything but pure devotion for our amazing princess, Princess Twilight...

When this chapter was done, we all sat in a tight group, hugging together with her... I think we all love Princess Twilight...

It was mid-afternoon, and it was clear we had to be done for the day.

And Cel and Lu seemed amazed at this entire process. Shysage told Cel later that we didn't always do this with everypony else, but recent volumes were done together like this, more often than not.

Lu just answered quietly that she and her sister should read what we had already done, so they knew the rest of the story up to this point.

...

For the rest of the afternoon, we had to do something different.

We all walked out to Sweet Apple Acres. The Twilights, Filias and Fionas helped the Applejacks by trimming more trees. This is the first time I had watched this. Making overgrown scary trees look like nice apple trees...

Watching this was amazing, even if the Wind Knife spell was pretty loud. And the Filia, Fiona and Twilight Twins split up into two groups. Evidently the Filia and Fiona Twins were growing stronger in their magic even as they did this.

But I wanted to tell Cel and Lu... I moved over next to Lu, and Cel was next to her. "Lu, this is how we cut you and Cel away from Phantasma..." Lu looked at me with the wildest amazement, and Cel looked at me right away, too. "Well, Phantasma was on her back, and Rose kept her still long enough... We all just cried together a little while. That whole thing still amazes me...

The rest of us sat together in the late afternoon Sun and visited, while Applejack's trees got a haircut. We all laughed a little while after Shysage said that.

When our nice warm sunlight went away, we all found dinner in the meadow near the barn. And again, we sent four Panthers off to find their own dinner, and they were soon back. Then we walked back to the Castle as the Sun went down.

We spent the evening all together.

It was quiet at first, as Cel and Lu read through what we had already recorded, about our time here, starting from the very beginning of what we had recorded. Quickly enough, Cel could no longer read through her tears, and Shysage read it for, well, all of us; everypony was listening by then. He cried too, but managed to keep reading.

Again, it was so clear... Equestria was, is doing this...

We were all soon asleep, Twin with Twin, and sisters with sisters, on the floor in the Library.


I woke up the next morning to Shysage hugging me and working mostly unsuccessfully at not crying. We walked quietly outside, and laid on our bellies next to each other in the grass. We were surrounded by four Panther animal friends right away. They clearly wanted some attention, but realized I guess that we couldn't.

"Summer, I don't even know if I want to go ba--" Shysage got this much out, then cried on my shoulder. Well, we were quickly crying together. I guessed Equestria would need to make that decision for us. Shysage and I had no clue.

And it was no surprise that my Sis and her Twin were soon next to me also crying. For the three of us that had come here from over three decades ago... Well, there was just no right answer...

The four of us cried together a while, then spent some time with animal friends.

As amazing ponies began to spill out of the Castle, we realized it was time for breakfast, and we headed off towards the East meadow. The Shyna Twins quickly joined us. They both knew we were all crying, and the Shyna Twins cried too, when Sis explained. This wasn't today's problem (we didn't think), but still.

Walking by Dawns, we saw that the Canterlot Recorder's home had a nice roof again, and there were clearly ponies inside. We didn't mind. Dawn needed the room.

After we left Dawns and walked through the meadow towards the lake, Shysage explained that he had originally dug up his shoulder sack, because he fully intended to record everything, and he was convinced he would take all that back to our present, to try and avert all this. But he was pretty sure now, if we did go back, we probably shouldn't say anything...

Well, this was our problem, not everypony elses'. It was hard though, and we all wept softly for a while. And, while we were next to each other eating, Shysage said quietly that getting both Eschate Zumulus and Phantasma taken care of so quickly... Well, he didn't know any other reasons why we had to be here, and that was just scary...

Well, what should we do? Us six ponies gathered on that little hill, and just cried together. I am sure Shysage was asking true friend for help as I was, maybe Equestria Girls Fluttershy too. That's just what we do...

After a little while, Equestria pony Shyna mentioned that today was more Canterlot Recording, and we really should get back.

I hugged Dawn the elder one the way. She was sitting out front in the morning Sun. We both just cried together briefly.


We guessed Canterlot Recording would happen outside, in the grass near the Castle today. That was fine. It was a nice day. The six of us laid on our bellies at the edge of this group of family and amazing friends...

Still, Shysage and I had spent some time last night, talking quietly about the next few chapters. The next chapter especially scared me. I... Recording my Princess at her worst, maybe, and in front of this whole group...

We were still on the edge of the group, and everypony was settling down. Equestria pony Filia would be writing first, and the Filias and Fionas were getting everything ready for that, and Princess Twilight and her Twin were next to them, and Cel and Lu and their Twins were next to the Twilights.

Honestly, I wasn't even sure where to start...

Cel (Princess Celestia) spoke up quickly "Shyna Twins, I almost forgot... You both need to head to Canterlot today for a status update from Shining Armor."

Well, Equestria pony Shyna said "Aww..." It wasn't loud, but we heard it. She really wanted to stay for this...

Princess Twilight put a crown pouch over each of their necks, and they were on their way. I guessed they would waste no time in making this trip, and I was right. They were to Canterlot and back in maybe an hour and a half. Gifted Pegasi indeed!

Ok, so we were ready to start. And first thing... I just burst into tears... Crying, I jumped up, ran over to my Princess, and just cried on her shoulders...

I think everypony was mystified, especially Princess Twilight...

After a minute maybe, Shysage said quietly "Princess, the next chapter involves the fight with Eschate Zumulus, and you were furious with Summer..." I don't think Shysage could say any more. He didn't have to either...

And Princess was quickly sobbing herself, hugging me tightly. This lasted a little while, and I think most everypony else realized what was going on, and they too, were weeping softly. This was just not a good day for our Princess...

It took a little while, but we all managed to calm down. Princess Twilight told me to go back next to Shysage, and Princess came and laid on her belly right next to me, with her Twin next to her.

Then, before I even started, Princess Twilight, still crying, said this. "I am not proud of what I did this day... But it was a part of what Equestria had to do to get me back. We need to record it, just like it happened..."

Princess and I had to hug together a little more, then I think we were ready to start recording...

The day actually started out with maybe 18 dog-tired ponies leaving Dawn's and heading to Sweet Apple Acres, then the Everfree Forest, ultimately to Zecora's hut.

And, with each step we took, I think we all realized we were walking into the only maelstrom that could fix everything, but it would be hard...

And we knew where we had to go, so we slowly headed there, strung out over a good distance. But the more we walked, the more... We were all in this together, and so we increasingly walked together.

I started crying as I worked words through for me, as the Phantom Alicorn, being barely able to get that shield up as Eschate Zumulus' huge paw came down... The results had been far more tragic in my dream...

Princess started crying as I worked through my Princess kicking my people legs and ankles repeatedly...

Princess and I basically hugged as we worked through how that part unfolded. Shysage finally got between Princess and I, and she stopped kicking me. But the Filia and Fiona Twins had to stop recording and just cried together when we got to them turning Eschate Zumulus to solid ice. Shysage and I were sure we would die. And the Filias told me later that the four of them weren't even sure the spell would work. They had never used it before...

Well, I crushed the solid chunk of ice that the monster was, and swept him back into Dethwell where he belonged, and Shysage and I just flew away. I just wanted away at that point...

Still, I insisted on recording Shysage taking such good care of me... Things like that... I don't think I can ever do Phantom Alicorn stuff without him, and I hope Equestria realizes that...

I don't think this chapter came out very long. It was just excruciating having to write those words...

...

The Shyna Twins, almost out of breath, came back at that point, and Princess Twilight retrieved the single pouch that came back from Shining Armor, and just placed it around her own neck.

It was clear that would be taken care of later. Canterlot Recording would continue.

The Shynas were soon on their bellies next to us.


The next chapter was worse... well, harder... But it needed to cover maybe the most important event... And I was across the clearing, looking at thick Fog that day, hoping my hind legs would stop bleeding. I could not do this chapter.

And it was quiet for a minute, and I was trying to decide what to do. I was getting ready to overview what Shysage and I felt the chapter should include. He and I, we didn't even know what happened...

Equestria Girls Twilight Sparkle started crying right away, and was almost immediately hugging Princess Twilight, who was also crying. Princess Twilight's girls moved around them, then everypony else... This was their chapter. And Twilight Sparkle put the words together for that whole chapter as, well everypony was hugging together tightly, crying loudly the whole time...

This chapter was about the healing of old wounds among Princess Twilight's circle, and came out absolutely amazing when it was done. And Shysage and I (well, and Cel and Lu and their Twins), we had no clue what happened that day. For these events, we were largely observers, that day as well as today...

...

On that foggy morning, Twilight Sparkle did exactly what she remembered from her dream, just hours before... Old wounds were dealt with, and devotion was slowly restored. I guess things we do that hurt other ponies, time doesn't erase all that. Each thing had to be... Twilight Sparkle carefully described the whole process, just as it unfolded, over several hours...

...

When that chapter was done, Equestria Girls Twilight fell to the ground, and just cried... Her Twin, Princess Twilight laid next to her and cried with her...

...

After they cried together a few minutes, the rest of Princess' ponies did the only thing it made any sense to do...

They all circled up around both Twilights. Everypony sat tightly together, shoulder to shoulder, in a circle around our amazing Princess Twilight and her Twin.

Well, Shysage and I and the Celestia and Luna Twins were nearby, just watching all this... I really wanted to join them though.

...

As everypony sat, circled around our Princess... All were crying... Eyes closed... Heads down...

We are deeply devoted to each other...
We are true friends, and committed to true friendship...
We are... ...Equestria..."

We all said this softly, slowly and together. Shysage and I said it with the rest.

...

When we were done saying this, Princess Twilight sat up, still crying, her head still down, and eyes closed... She said "Oh girls..."

...

Princess' Twin, Equestria Girls Twilight Sparkle, she did not get up...

Now sobbing hysterically, she curled up tightly as she lay there in the grass...

Equestria Girls Twilight Sparkle... pleaded... quietly...

"Princess Twilight... Please take me back..."


...

Twilight Sparkle said what everypony felt right then...

We all burst into tears, and cried hysterically...

...

Princess Twilight pulled her sobbing Twin up, and they hugged tightly, and cried loudly together.

One at a time, the rest of us joined them...

We sobbed together with our Princess for a long time...

I think we all love our Princess...

...

I found out later from my Sis that what Twilight Sparkle said, what she did, that was really the turning point, and drew everypony together as one, once again. Everypony realized how desparately we needed our Princess... I cried when I heard this...

...

Well, later I guess, Cel (Princess Celestia) had the Filias add the following note at the end of this chapter...

This is Princess Celestia, Ruler of Equestria

I have lived many years, read many books, and seen and heard about many, many things.

Never in my life have I even heard about a devotion as deep as Princess Twilight shares with her close friends.

I can only hope for this same true friendship, this same devotion, for the rest of our precious ponies all over Equestria...

...

Shysage and I, we are Canterlot Recorders. But the main thing is that what happened, exactly that is what gets recorded. Twilight Sparkle's chapter came out amazing, and we just watched in awe as it did.


We all spent an hour or two crying together. The miracle of restoration, even today, was just amazing... And it seemed a crucial part of what Equestria was doing. Well, it seemed like that had to happen first, before Equestria could come alive again...

And we had to be done with Canterlot Recording for that day.

Brushing away tears, Princess Twilight sent everypony off for a few hours of Twin time. Princess did smile as she mentioned that dinner would be in the Castle tonight.

Both Fluttershys took Filicia and Dawn off to Fluttershy's Cottage, and the Shyna Twins went with them.

Twin time... I am so glad Shysage knew I would be a mess. I really missed my Twin, Equestria Girls Summer Rain...

We ended up back on that little hill in the meadow, and I basically cried in Shysage's arms (as people) most of the afternoon. Rose and Alyssa laid on the ground on either side of us. I think these animals knew how we felt.

After I was pretty much cried out, I just sat there in Shysage's lap. He had his arms wrapped tightly around me, hugging me, and I just sighed. I told him I really needed him. That made him cry...

After we were both quiet for a while...

"Shysage, what do you think the future holds for us?" Even as I asked this, I knew neither of us had any idea.

Shysage made me cry some more when he answered. "Summer, I don't know, but as long as you are with me..."

I guess we just cried together a while more.

I wanted my twin... And as far as we knew, Equestria could send Shysage, Fluttershy and I back to our present at any time... We were here right now, and that was really all we knew.

But Shysage was right. Like I said early on... I don't need much, but I need him.

Equestria would take care of us. True friend would take care of us.

Right now, I didn't even want to move. Shysage was holding me, and we were together. Not much else mattered, to either of us, I think.


The Fluttershy and Shyna Twins joined us late in the afternoon, and our four Panther friends ran off to find food.

It was clear that Equestria Girls Fluttershy had been crying a lot. Well, maybe they all had. Shysage and I turned back into ponies, and we cried together until the girls returned. Then we all headed back to the Castle. We stopped at Dawn's briefly and I hugged the three of them for a few minutes. Helping Hands was very busy.

We left both Fluttershys outside with the girls, and the rest of us went inside, and were soon in the Library. I didn't feel too sociable, and sat near the edge.

The Cake family took care of dinner, and it was very good. It would have helped if I felt better; I would have eaten more.

We all ended up back in the Library, and I again sat near the edge. Both Fluttershys joined us, I think they felt the same way. The Shynas ended up talking with the Rainbow Dash Twins. It was ok, really. We were surrounded by amazing friends. Like I said, I just wished I felt better. I knew I was hurting and why. There was just nothing anypony could do...

...

As soon as the three Princess Twins joined our group, Princess Twilight said we were going to try to do more Canterlot Recording tomorrow, but that would be it for a while. She said it was going slowly, but that was ok, given what was being covered.

It was quiet for a minute, the Princess Twilight looked at her Twin and started to say "Well, ok, I guess tonight is Twin--"

Princess Celestia interrupted her with a smile. "Princess Twilight, I think you have something around your neck that might require some attention."

Princess Twilight smiled. She had forgotten about what was probably a progress report from Shining Armor, in the sack whose strap was now around her neck. Unicorn magic quickly got two pages of notes before Princess Celestia.

The first bunch of stuff was surely from Mildred, and Cel and Lu both teared up as Cel read.

-- Audience Hall food stocks approximately 6 months
-- Audience Hall kitchen facilities cleaned and ready

[Currently no kitchen staff / cooks, however.]
-- Princess Quarters, cleaned and ready
-- Audience Hall main room cleaning in process

Lu said with a sigh "Sister, she's doing it all by herself..."

Cel sighed too... "That's Mildred..." Still, Cel continued, clearly items from Shining Armor

-- Commons clean-up done

Cel had the most quizzical look on her face after reading this. Shysage explained, and we all cried briefly. Cel kept going.

-- Estimated Canterlot Population 600
-- Current Guard Strength 9 + 47
-- Contact with other cities

a. Ponyville

b. Crystal Empire

c. Manehatten (5 guards sent there)
-- Civil Backlog 3 cases

Cel groaned at this last item. Lu said quietly "Already..." Neither sounded happy about this.

Cel moved the notes away and looked across the Library, off into the distance...

"I think Equestria's Princesses need to head back to Canterlot soon... We will all need to talk together about how to do that..."

Cel just sighed.

Lu asked quietly "Sister, what is this other paper?"

Cel moved the second page to the front, and turned it right-side-up. She read briefly, and then was clearly fighting back tears.

"Fluttershy, please hug your Twin, and dad..."

Cel did a pretty good job of reading the letter.

Personal Letter from Summer Rain

Precious Ponies,

Shysage is mayor of Manehatten, and we made contact with Shining Armor today, and are heading back with some guards. We are both pretty busy, but we will visit when we can...

I miss my sister... I miss my Twin... Everypony hug them for me please...

Summer and Shysage

Everypony surrounded Equestria Girls Summer Rain as she cried hysterically... To have Equestria give her sister back to her, twice...

I was a mess too, but I had Shysage...

At least our Twins were alive, safe, and we knew where they were... That seemed like a miracle in this Equestria...



PreviousChapters Next