• Published 19th Jan 2015
  • 484 Views, 2 Comments

The Chronicles of Summer Rain, Vol. 9 -- Future Perfect - shysage



A few years ago, the Phantom Alicorn had a vivid dream, that we understood to be a warning at the time. Now, years later, why did the Portal thrust us decades into that same future?

  • ...
24
 2
 484

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 2, Done

Yesterday was a quiet day. My husband Dan was away on one of his increasingly more frequent business trips. He said a few times that business was picking up, I couldn't complain. He is an accountant, so I guess more business meant more work for him, I don't know.

During the day, I did what I normally do. Well, I cried a lot, I guess. I know I have cancer, but the prospects now look terrible, and it seems there is nothing they can do. Of course, I had to wonder if the Insurance Co-op had simply declined payment on the recommended procedure. I don't know. How could I know...

Well, I don't know anything, except everyone around me (doctors mostly) keeps saying things including the phrase 'as many as you have left' or something like it. This is all new territory for me. So I cry a lot. I don't know what else to do.

Well, I stopped crying long enough to head to the mall and buy a new pair of shoes in the afternoon. It had been a while since I had done this, so I decided I was due. And the shoes I got looked nice, easily worth the GOB ride. These new shoes matched the lighter streak in my curly hair.

I don't mind that streak much any more. I used to try to dye it to make it go away, but that turned into a continual, complicated process, so I quit doing that. My hair is normally dead flat though, and I do work to keep it curly. I like my hair in curls better than flat, but I don't remember why.

I made myself a barely tolerable, low fat dinner in the microwave, then sat in the recliner and watched some Vid (TV is the old name I think). I really don't watch much of the recent stuff. It seems geared to twenty year olds or morons. Well, I guess my age is showing, there might have been a nicer way to say that. I just watch old cartoon reruns, mostly one series, I don't know.

Falling asleep, I dragged myself out of the recliner, and changed into flannel PJ's. I was instantly wide awake, but I climbed into bed anyway. Our bed is huge, and I had it all to myself tonight. I don't know whether that was good or bad.

Laying awake for over two hours, I finally drifted off to sleep.

As usual, I woke up maybe two hours later, because that position hurt. I mean it hurt me inside. That wasn't good. So, I rolled over and tried to go back to sleep. It worked for a while, then I woke up, and rolled back over to the other side. I think you get the picture.

At maybe 7 in the morning, I woke up with a start. I observed that I would be late for work, and sat quickly upright in bed, which didn't feel very good. Then I remembered. I don't work any more. My days as a teacher were done. I had retired three years ago.

Teaching was such amazing fun, I was actually sad. Well, they 'retired' me, I didn't decide to leave. They could bring in a new grad to work for half what I made. Well, anyone can effectively teach kids, right? Or plug them into a Vid and walk away; that works too? Tragic thinking... Whatever.

I laid back down, and drifted off into sleep.


I had the most vivid dream. I don't dream often. I usually don't sleep well enough to dream. I guess for the five or so minutes this dream took, I must have been sleeping well.

The dream was about two ponies talking to each other. In the dim and distant past, I think I knew both ponies, but not any more.

Anyway, a stallion was sitting on a small hill in some sort of meadow. I remember flowers near, so it was Spring or Summer there maybe.

For a few minutes, he just sat there staring off into the distance. Maybe he was crying, I don't know.

Then another pony flew over and landed next to him. I guess they had not seen each other in a while, and they hugged briefly.

Then they sat facing each other, and the stallion asked "Where is everypony?"

The other pony answered, but I don't remember that part.

The dream was over, and I woke up.

None of this suprised me, I watch that kind of stuff all the...

Wait...

I had to dig really far back for this...


There suddenly was a knock on the bedroom door. This really startled me... Well, this was VERY strange, and made me try to remember if I had locked the house up last night. After staring at the door briefly, I quickly got up and put my bathrobe on. Then I opened the door.

It was Dan.

I said quickly "Dan, you don't need to knock--"

Dan put his hand up immediately to stop me. This wasn't necessarily a hostile gesture. I have gotten used to it.

Still, Dan said what was on his mind. In his usual calculating manner, he spoke slowly, dispassionately and resolutely.

"Twilight, I'm sorry... I can't handle this... your condition... I just can't deal with that, not any more..."

Dan next handed me a big, thick envelope. Then he continued.

"I'm letting you keep the house, and promise you a nice allowance, until..."

Dan paused a minute. I don't think he knew what to say next. Then he said a little quieter "Twilight, I'm sorry. It's the best I can do."

Then he turned, walked down the stairs and out the front door.

...

...

...

I walked slowly to the window and watched as he climbed into the car... with another woman...

...

...

...

After they drove off, I just stood there for a long time. I felt myself slowly growing numb...

...

...

...

When I needed him the most, we were done.

...

...

...

My world collapsed.



PreviousChapters Next