• Published 16th Jan 2015
  • 3,475 Views, 52 Comments

Big Baby Mac - Pensplatter



The CMC attempt to get their cutie marks as mommies and decide to use Big Macintosh as a practice baby. With the help of the Mane 6, the girls learn about taking care of babies and Big Macintosh learns a few things about himself as well.

  • ...
14
 52
 3,475

Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

Pinkie Pie carried the twins up to their nursery for their afternoon nap, while Rainbow Dash accompanied the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Big Macintosh outside. Big Macintosh was back inside the baby buggy, and was now begrudgingly sucking upon the large baby bottle to cool the stinging sensation on his tongue.

Rainbow Dash couldn’t keep but giggle at the irony of the situation, while Scootaloo asked, “Hey Rainbow Dash, we’ve heard advice about how to take care of baby ponies from almost everypony we know except you. You’re one of the best ponies around here so surely you must know something about taking care of baby ponies?”

Rainbow Dash scratched her chin contemplatively and said, “There’s no doubt that I’m the best, squirt, but even I’ll admit that baby ponies aren’t really a specialty of mine.”

“Well, what would you do if you were a mommy pony?” asked Apple Bloom innocently. Her question actually brought a light pink blush to Rainbow’s usually sky blue cheeks, and the older pony actually fumbled as she said, “Oh… well, that probably won’t be happening for a while. I don’t even have a special somepony, and I’m not exactly looking for one at the moment anyway. Baby ponies don’t seem to be anywhere in my near future.”

“Yeah, but what would you do if you did have one,” persisted Scootaloo, who remained oblivious to Rainbow Dash’s embarrassment regarding the subject. Big Macintosh on the other hand was enjoying himself rather well, especially considering the fact that somepony else was finally getting their own share of awkwardness for that day.

Rainbow Dash finally decided to give the subject some thought and said, “Well, I’d want any foal of mine to have a need for speed like me. I guess I would take my foal out for strolls so that they could become more outdoorsy and active.”

Scootaloo beamed as Rainbow Dash spoke, turned to the other Cutie Mark Crusaders, and said, “See I knew that Rainbow Dash would have good advice!”

She then turned back to Rainbow Dash and continued, “We have already been doing what you said… well kind of. I told the others that we should take Baby Mac on the scenic route to Fluttershy’s because it’s good for baby ponies to be stimulated by a different kinds of scenery when they go out for their walks.”

Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow at this and responded, “Wait you’ve been taking the long way to Fluttershy’s? No offence Scootaloo, but you three fillies are still pretty young yourselves. If you keep on taking your sweet old time you wouldn’t be able to reach Fluttershy’s before sunset.”

Apple Bloom’s eyes went wide and she said, “Oh no, Granny has a strict rule about me being home by sundown.”

Scootaloo’s ears drooped in disappointment as she said, “I’m sorry girls. I guess I messed up. Looks like we won’t have time to ask Fluttershy about being mommies.”

Big Macintosh’s ears perked up at this, hoping against hope that his humiliation had finally come to an end, but a determined smile flashed across Rainbow Dash’s face as she said, “Hey, don’t count your griffins before they hatch. You’re looking at the fastest flyer in Ponyville right here. Everybody hop into Baby Mac’s buggy. I can get you to Fluttershy’s cottage with time to spare.”

Scootaloo wasted no time climbing into the buggy, eager to obey a direct order from her idol, with Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom following shortly after. Despite Big Macintosh lamenting that he had yet to be excused from this exercise in embarrassment, he felt an odd sting of possessiveness in that his younger sister and her friends had entered the personal space he had created for himself within his buggy. Then again, when Big Macintosh realized that he had begun to think of the buggy as his own, he felt a shudder travel down his spine and he silently prayed for this day and its’ confusing emotions to come to an end.

Rainbow Dash took the buggy within her front hooves and said, “Alright, hold tight everybody. Let’s see if you guy’s are ‘stimulated’ by the end of this like Scootaloo says.” With that Rainbow Dash’s wings began to flap rapidly, not unlike Scootaloo’s when she was doing tricks upon her scooter, and the buggy took off like a rocket on wheels.


The town’s square was relatively quiet that particular afternoon. Vendors had began closing up shop, ponies were heading home from work, and even the clouds were drifting by at their own gradual pace, content with the pleasant sense of lull that hung in the air. This sense of ease quickly vanished as ponies ducked for cover when a strange projectile some would later define as a UFO, others as a errant, miniature tornado, and one particularly inebriated pony named Berry Punch claimed that she had seen a female Pegasus pushing an overly large baby buggy at breakneck speeds with three fillies and a stallion within screaming for their lives.

Rainbow Dash maneuvered through the streets with such precision that on several occasions she came centimeters from crashing into the various city implements that stood between her and Fluttershy’s cottage. Her four charges within the buggy could barely manage to shriek their warnings about an impending collision before a new threat appeared and disappeared equally as quickly. Thus they deigned that they would settle for screaming incoherently for the duration of their journey.

Finally Rainbow Dash arrived at Fluttershy’s cottage, no worse for the wear besides the fact that she had almost completely worn down the rubber that had lined the buggy’s wheels. In her characteristic bravado Rainbow Dash called out, “Hey Fluttershy! You’ve got some company out here!” Fluttershy, who had been wearing a white handkerchief with a pink trim that day as a bandana, opened the door of her cottage and peeped out to see the peculiar sight of Rainbow Dash standing before her next to an overly large baby buggy.

Rainbow Dash then continued, “I’ve got three fillies and a Baby Mac in here who think you may be able to answer their questions on getting their cutie marks as mommies.”

Fluttershy raised a curious eyebrow as she repeated in a confused tone, “A ‘Baby Mac?’ What do you mean by…”

Before Fluttershy could continue her question, Rainbow Dash had lifted the lit of the buggy and both mares were surprised by what they saw. Big Macintosh and the Cutie Mark Crusaders were all clinging to each other tightly, each of their faces drained of most of its’ color and their expressions seeming to stuck in silent shrieks of terror.

“Uh, guys?” Rainbow Dash asked tentatively and waved her hoof in front of the group, hoping to elicit some type of reaction. The ponies in the carriage collapsed on their backs, causing Rainbow Dash to shrug and say, “Meh, they’ll be fine.”

The fillies and Big Macintosh all shook their heads and seemed to come back to their senses, although Sweetie Belle looked slightly green as she struggled to keep the cupcake she had recently eaten at Sugar Cube Corner down.

Big Macintosh moved as well to readjust himself once the fillies had left his buggy, but as he shifted around he heard an audible ‘squish’ come from beneath him. Big Macintosh looked down and to his disbelief he saw that the rubber teat of the bottle of milk had come undone, having ended up soaking his diaper in with milk during the chaotic trip to Fluttershy’s cottage.

Big Macintosh was aghast that there he was in front of Fluttershy, the mare he had secretly admired for so long, dressed to the pinnacle of juvenile humiliation with a sopping wet diaper to further drive the point home. Although he knew in the back of his mind that reaching for Smarty Pants would only complete the infantile image he was presenting, he desperately craved the comfort the little ragdoll brought to him in his darkest moments.

Nothing could have prepared Big Macintosh for what he would encounter next as his mitten-covered hoof landed on the doll and brought it into his view. To his horror, the tiny doll was covered with rips and tears, looking as though it had seen the wrong end of a rather aggressive shredder. Possible explanations raced through Big Macintosh’s mind as he recalled how he had held up the doll to protect the fillies and himself when Rainbow Dash had flown through a particularly low-hanging group of branches on their way to Fluttershy’s cottage. It may have even been the whipping winds that had torn at the already fragile stitches of the old doll.

Despite these attempts by his brain to inject some logic into the situation, Big Macintosh’s heart had already decided on how to react as he felt hot tears welling up within his eyes. Apple Bloom turned when she heard a choked sob coming from the baby buggy and when she saw her older brother’s state she rushed over and cried, “Oh my goodness! Big brother, are you alright?”

Fluttershy then approached the buggy and removed the handkerchief tied around her head and used it to dab the tears in Big Macintosh’s eyes before she said, “Why don’t we start at the beginning, shall we?”

The three young fillies then recounted the story of how their journey had begun, from the very start when they had been mulling over on how to spend their day, to their seeking out of Big Macintosh, followed by their inspiration to investigate their potential talents as mommies, to finally enlisting all of their friends’ assistance along the way.”

Upon finishing their tale, Fluttershy gave a warm, understanding nod before she said, “Oh girls, I must say that you all have been on quite an adventure today, and I really respect how dedicated you all were on accomplishing your goal.”

The three young ponies beamed at this recognition of their hard work, but Fluttershy then added, “However, you three forgot to remember something very important for taking care of a baby pony.”

The Cutie Mark Crusaders all looked confused at this claim and each of the fillies racked her brain trying to figure out what detail they had missed. Finally Apple Bloom said, “I’m sorry Fluttershy but we don’t understand. We covered diaper changes, how to carry a baby pony, baby pony clothes, baby pony mealtime, and taking a baby pony out for a walk. What could we have possibly missed?”

Fluttershy smiled and replied, “Listening to your baby pony. Did any of you three attempt to listen to how Big Macintosh felt about all this?”

The three fillies paused and thought about this for a moment, realizing that none of them had bothered to listen to Big Macintosh once since they had began their journey to Fluttershy’s cottage. Scootaloo pensively said, “But Big Macintosh promised he would help us find our cutie marks. Also, some baby ponies aren’t old enough to talk as yet, so how would we be able to listen to them?”

“Just because somepony is willing to help you doesn’t mean you should take advantage of that promise. If someone says they are uncomfortable doing do you a favor, you should respect their personal boundaries. As for listening to baby ponies, even though a baby pony may not be able to talk like you and I can, each baby pony is different. They have different needs and different likes and dislikes. It is important for you to be able to pay attention to each baby pony and not only take care them but help them grow to be as happy and well-rounded as they can be.”

Sweetie Belle rubbed her temples with her hooves and sadly sighed as she said, “I never imagined being a mommy pony could be so complicated. I guess today shows that none of us would probably be very goods mommies.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t say that,” said Fluttershy reassuringly as she wrapped the fillies in a big hug, “Just like each baby pony is different, each mommy pony is different in her own special way as well. Some mommy ponies play a lot, some mommy ponies work very hard, some mommy ponies are good at lots of different things, and some mommy ponies have one thing that they do better than anybody else. No matter what, cutie marks or no, I’m sure that each of you will be wonderful mommy pony in whichever way she chooses.”

Each of the Cutie Mark Crusaders smiled as she pondered on this possibility before Rainbow Dash abruptly interrupted by saying, “Speaking of mommy ponies, yours won’t be in the best of moods if you all are late for supper tonight.”

This reminder caused all three of the fillies’ eyes to widen as they bolted up and began to fret about returning home after dark. A twinkle entered Rainbow Dash’s eye as she cheerfully said, “If speed is what you need, I’m your pony. I can carry all three of you home with time to spare.”

“What about Big Macintosh?” asked Apple Bloom worriedly as she turned to Big Macintosh, who still in the baby buggy holding the Smarty Pants doll with a forlorn expression.

“If it’s alright with you Apple Bloom, I’d like to talk with your brother for a bit longer. He will come home as soon we’re done.”

“Well alright. Please do what you can to make him feel better,” implored the little filly as she trotted over to Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash flew over with the baby buggy and said, “Alright guys hop into here, and I’ll deliver you all home airmail style.”

Big Macintosh exited the buggy, still clinging to the Smarty Pants doll while the fillies hopped in. Rainbow Dash began to flap her wings once more, raising the buggy air. Just as the Rainbow Dash was departing with the buggy Sweetie Bell exclaimed from within, “Hey! Is this is wet spot?”

The next moment Rainbow Dash and the fillies were gone in a blur of rainbow colored wind, while Big Macintosh’s eyes were still downcast. Heartbroken over Smarty Pants’ dilapidated state and embarrassed by his babyish state, he simply could not bring himself to say anything. Luckily he did not need to, for Fluttershy placed her hoof under his chin and lifted it until his eyes met her own.

“Let’s get you inside and freshen you up, shall we?” said Fluttershy.

Author's Note:

So I finally posted some blogs entries about what type of writing you will find here on my profile. Check them out if your curious about my ideas regarding the Mane 6 and the rest of the cast. Once again, thank you to everyone favorited, commented, and gave thumbs up to my last chapter. Remember to feel free to share your thoughts and ask question as I am very approachable and loving hearing what you all have to say. So now that Baby Mac is at Fluttershy's I wonder what will happen next? Comment with your guesses and we'll see next week. :ajsmug: