• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 1,529 Views, 21 Comments

Sonata’s Solo - Pony Bones



After the catastrophic Canterlot High Battle of the Bands Sonata Dusk is abandoned by her fellow Dazzlings. How will she survive High School alone?

  • ...
5
 21
 1,529

Exit Stage Left

The spotlights went out as Big McIntosh began breaking down the stage area where the Canterlot High battle of the bands had just finished. He hummed happily to himself as three dejected figures made their exit at the left of the stage.

“That performance was horrible. I’ve never been so humiliated in my life.” Adagio Dazzle growled to her associates backstage.

“Yeah it really was awful wasn’t it?” Sonata Dusk agreed.

“That’s an understatement.” Adagio muttered sullenly. “We had the school and the Rainbooms beat we should have won that battle.”

“You weren’t any help Sonata, you haven’t been able to focus since we enrolled in Canterlot High.” Aria pointed out spitefully

Adagio scowled at Sonata as she though over Aria’s accusation, “She’s right you’ve been holding us back this whole time.”

Sonata’s opened her mouth several times to try and defend herself but she couldn’t deny Aria’s claim and her protests were stuck in her throat.

“Ablah, ablah, ablah, can’t answer?” Aria mocked viciously

“Forget it Aria she doesn’t even deserve a chance to answer. Sonata we’re through don’t bother coming after us you are no longer a Dazzling.”

Sonata didn’t know what to do she was in too much shock, she wasn’t sad, or angry, or lonely. She just felt numb and abandoned which is far worse. She was losing the closest thing she had to friends. After what they had said there could be no mistaking Adagio and Aria were leaving her for good. When the hurt finally hit Sonata she couldn’t even express it, it was too painful. She just stood taller with her head high keeping a straight face as she watched her partners walk away.

What could Sonata do now? The Dazzlings were the only good thing she had going for herself even though they were mean to each other most of the time at least they looked out for each other. Sonata also didn’t feel right going to the Rainbooms for help she had just fought with them and lost for control of the school, then who could she turn to?

Sonata began to break down as her vision blurred and her mouth began shuddering. She had no options everything had depended on the battle of the bands and she had failed.

Sonata stood behind the stage fighting for control when a muffin appeared in front of her face. Looking up she saw two lazy golden eyes and a smiling face that was so bafflingly happy she couldn’t help but smile back at the kindness of the offer.

“Don’t be sad, things can only get better now.”

“Thank you.” Was all Sonata could manage to say with composure.

The kind girl was right, this was not the end of Sonata Dusk not by a long shot. Looking contemplatively at the muffin she took a bite and decided that since she had no one to impress anymore she would also be a nicer person. One act of kindness deserves another.

As the kind girl turned to leave she elbowed Sonata in the gut spewing muffin crumbs and doubling her over,

“Whoops sorry.” The kind girl said turning around and poking Sonata in the eye.

“Oh I’m really sorry about that.” The girl apologized again as Sonata whimpered holding her face. “Should I take you to the nurse’s office?” She asked putting a hand on Sonata’s shoulder giving her a startling static shock.

Sonata quickly backed away clearing the tears out of her eyes, “NO!!! No I’m fine, thank you for the muffin but I should probably leave now.”

The kind girl frowned for a fraction of a second before she went right back to her beaming smile, “Oh ok, by the way I really liked your song tonight you have a really pretty voice.”

“For realsies? Well thank you very much.” Sonata said taking the bow she never had the chance to take earlier.

“Are you in Miss Shores’ choir class?” The girl asked.

“I didn’t know there was a choir class.” Sonata said, her interest piqued.

“You could probably talk to Vice Principal Luna if you want to transfer a class to choir. Miss Shores is awesome.”

“I think I’ll do that.” Sonata replied grateful for the information.

A choir class could be good for her. It might even sharpen the skills she already had while she figured out what she wanted to do since conquering Canterlot High was out of the question.

In the meantime she needed to find a place to sleep, Adagio had already made it clear she was no longer welcome with the Dazzlings so the hotel room they had been staying in was closed to her.

Looking around she found a door under the stage that was open. “Huh, that’s weird I thought I saw that Trixie girl lock this door before the show. Oh well I’ll take what I can get.”

Walking through it took a few seconds for Sonata’s eyes to adjust to the darkness then she began looking for materials to put together an impromptu bed. Fortunately there was a stack of soundproofing foam in one corner and she could use the piano cover as a blanket.

It wasn’t the Ritz Cloperton but what choice did she have?

Beating the dust out of the foam and screaming while she stomped the living daylights out of the roaches and spiders that had taken up residence under the stage took no less than fifteen minutes.

As Sonata lay down she was acutely aware that the soundproofing foam was annoyingly scratchy and grainy. It made her skin crawl to think what creatures might still be lurking within. She could also still feel the hard concrete floor underneath. The piano cover was much too rough to be considered a blanket by any standards but it kept her warm.

Once Sonata settled in she was out like a light before she knew it. The next thing she saw was the sun shining through the narrow crack of the door directly into her eyes.

“Ugh, of course my bed would be directly facing the sunrise.” Sonata pulled the piano cover over her head, she felt awful. There was a bad crick in her neck and she didn’t feel like she had slept at all. She clung to the simple comfort of her warm piano cover.

Time to get up and face a new day at Canterlot High, alone and very afraid.

Author's Note:

Well wouldn't you know it, inspiration for a new story hit me out of the blue. I've got big plans for this one too so hope ya'll like it. Also if you are going to leave a comment about the grammar I would be grateful if you would tell me specifically what needs to be corrected. Now I need to get some sleep before I get hit with some more inspiration.