• Published 13th May 2012
  • 3,930 Views, 39 Comments

The Lone Whelp - Oneyearwarpilot



With no place of comfort this little dragon shall leave home and find solace.

  • ...
2
 39
 3,930

Sometimes it's time to realize

Sometimes life isn't subtle its bluntness will have you on your back in seconds wondering what you did to deserve what you were given.

Twilight had run back to the library as quickly she could feel Spike getting colder by the minute he stopped mumbling and his breathing started to slow. While running a thought came to her that made her want to face hoof "I can use teleportation I'm such a scatterbrain" not wasting any more time Twilight focused her magic and disappeared with Spike in a flash reappearing in her and Spike's room on the second floor of the tree/library. Almost as soon as twilight had materialized she used her magic to dry her and Spike off, Twilight laid Spike on the bed and checked his temperature he wasn't improving. She wanted to take him to the hospital but she knew the doctors couldn't do anything and Zecora was in her homeland and Fluttershy knew nothing of dragon biology.

Twilight wrapped spike in two of her biggest blankets "Spike please don't give up you're my best friend and #1 assistant please whatever is wrong just don't give up" tears streamed down her face she hugged him then laid spike on her bed and went to the library to find out spikes ailment. After Spike's quest of self-realization Twilight had ordered all the books that could be found on dragons from every major library in Equestria which amounted to four, two of which were fictional with no fact in them at all (too bad she had learned that the hard way when taking Spikes temperature) apparently dragons do prefer their temperature taken orally. Discarding the two fictions she looked at the last two books one of the books was called The Dragon Mating Ritual quickly opening and looking inside, the first page was a picture of two dragons mating. Twilight's face turned beet red, she slammed the book shut and set it aside to be put in the non-youth section. She then took a look at the last book Dragon Biology the book of all you need to know of the four dragon tribes biology is what the cover said Twilight frantically opened the book and wasted no time in reading it.

As Twilight frantically searched through the index for an answer to Spikes sickness she could hear the poor baby dragon’s weak cries. Twilight practically started skimming the book this was her only chance she couldn't send a letter to Celestia due to her only means of getting there was disabled. Her frustration started to grow her anxiety kicked in the index showed no section on baby dragons.

"Everything you need to know my flank" Twilight screamed as she threw the book as the wall any other time she would have thought twice before throwing any book but now she was panicked, frustrated and scared. Twilight never was good at dealing with the unknown like any other firm believer of the sciences she believed every happening had an explanation, but here she stood her number one assistant sick and she had no explanation on how to treat him. Twilight did the only thing she could do, wait and hope putting faith in the great Faust that Spike would pull through. Tears started to flow from her face she magically lifted Spike wrapped in a blanket and set him close to the libraries furnace and laid next to him she didn't care if he was contagious she needed to give him warmth.

A couple of hours later Spike awoke his muscles ached his head hurt and his feelings torn. He heard soft breathing next to him Spike looked over to see a frazzled looking Twilight. Spike was semi-conscious through most of his scenario earlier but he was unable to bring himself to full awareness he was paralyzed between reality and his nightmares. He slowly and carefully stood up insuring Twi did not awake he felt ashamed he was willing to give up because Rarity found happiness with someone else besides him. He mentally scolded himself but deep down he felt it was justified Rarity was the only of his, no Twilights friends who had actually spoken to him he felt bad for saying it but it was true and that made it feel worse. Ever since he moved to Ponyville with Twi they both had grown apart. When she wasn't with her friends she was busy studying and testing.
When she did take him Spike spent his time working while she had fun.

When that filly Diamond Tiara had her Cute-Ceanera he was not invited even though everyone got one he didn't mind it as much as when the Princess came for a visit to the Sugarcube corner he spent his time working in the kitchen the princess visits rarely and he didn't even get speak to her she raised him before he went to live with Twi. When the young fliers competition came around Twi left him behind to watch the library not even bothering to ask whether he wanted to go or not. He was left out of Gummy's birthday party he was invited to Pinkies though. But the one that hurt him the most was Twilights birthday party he had spent the day before scouring the shops for a present to find out the next day that they were going to Canterlot and they had left him behind Twi had left him a hastily scribbled note on the fridge. He spent the rest of that day in tears but had quickly cleaned himself up when she before came back and acted as if he was okay.

And then there was Owlicious at first it sort of bothered him that she had accepted a second assistant but then it managed to gain more respect and attention in one day than he did in his time in Ponyville. He overreacted sure but he really felt hurt. Spike seriously felt out of place he went to find friends of his own but the only colts who hung out with him were Snips and Snails and even then he felt like a third wheel. The Cutie Mark Crusaders just used him to try to get their cutie marks he still avoided them for their attempts to get a cutie marks in dragon slaying. He finally had found a friend in Peewee in his quest of self-discovery.

He told himself that they were his family after that but he also made a depressing realization on that day that he had the mentality of a pony, but he was physically a dragon he would always be different no matter what and no magic was going to change that Spike didn't know how long he would live it could be a hundred to thousands of years. Spike didn't know what size he would grow to his greed grew him to the size of a small skyscraper thinking about it now he also had to fight to control his greed and Spike was worried it would only get worse as he grew older. These realizations only made him worry they only brought dread with no chance of comfort it hurt as the truth hit him he had only known Canterlot and Ponyville that was it Spike had no idea what the world around him was like and he could only whisper to himself. "I dont belong here"
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Sory it took so long hopefully this rewrite is better than the original please comment.