• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 2,605 Views, 92 Comments

A Competition With Two Winners - 1Bit



Rainbow Dash has been fighting her feelings about Applejack for a while now, but when Applejack falls in love with somepony else, what will Rainbow do?

  • ...
11
 92
 2,605

Chapter 13 - Reconciliation

There was a great stirring as the golden chariot crossed the sky, slowly passing through the cloud cover and descending on the old library. The chariot landed in front of the treehouse, crowds of ponies gradually coming closer as they became more curious. An agitated unicorn quickly jumped off the vehicle followed by two very shaken mares. Even from a distance, you could see the stress etched on the purple pony's face. Twilight sent the royal guards back to Canterlot, their quest complete, before taking a deep and slightly shaky breath.

"Are. You. CRAZY?!" Twilight's anger exploded with the princess' guards off the scene, her face glowing red with fury. "You know, I've seen a lot of stupid things in my time, many of them quite ridiculous in nature. But this?" She laughed. "This is the textbook definition of stupid! You're lucky your Wonderbolt coltfriend showed up when he did. A second later, and you would have been that Ursa's afternoon snack!"

Applejack lit up at the mention of Cloudjumper. "Ya mean, Cloudjumper got out okay?" She breathed a sigh of relief, falling back on her rump. "Shoot, I was sure he was dead. Can't believe I doubted him..." She looked back up at Twilight's stoic expression, instantly losing the smile on her face. "He is...okay, right sugarcube?"

Twilight was quiet for a long time before stepping up to Applejack, a sad look on her face. "AJ, he's in Ponyville Intensive Care." The apple farmer couldn't fight back against the lump in her throat as the words hit her. Even Rainbow awoke from her hazy state as Twilight continued. "When he arrived, he was in bad shape. REAL bad shape. I did my best to numb the pain but..." Applejack noticed Twilight stifling a sob.

"...I can't grow back a missing leg."

Everything was still. Even the wildlife seemed to have gone quiet as the onlookers watched the orange mare fall to the ground, sobbing hysterically. Rainbow weakly shuffled towards her, gently embracing her. Following Rainbow's example, Twilight leaned in and also hugged her. The three friends sat in front of the treehouse, quietly contemplating the events of the past few days. For Rainbow, however, this made things much harder. She suddenly broke the embrace, leaping up in somewhat shock. I did this... She backed away from them, willing herself to fly away before it was too late. I did all of this. It's my fault...my own stupid fault! She turned away, staring up into the clouds. She steadily spread her wings, prepared to fly away.

"And where do you think you're runnin' off too, Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow shrunk a little at hearing the annoyed voice behind her. Applejack had seemingly calmed down, though her eyes were still a bit watery. And she was now giving Rainbow Dash the stare. Any time Rainbow did something bad or messed up, she got the stare. And right now, the stare was pretty bad. She dragged a hoof across the ground nervously, avoiding eye contact with the mare. "Uh, nowhere in particular..."

"Well then, good. You're comin' with me back to the farm." She began trotting away from the treehouse, Twilight merely watching in confusion. Rainbow was equally bewildered.

"W-what?" Rainbow began to panic. Sweet Celestia no! The kiss! She's going to kill me! "I would love to Applejack. But I have some uh, other business to attend to." Rainbow lied.

Applejack was unimpressed. "Doesn't really matter to me, sugarcube. You're comin' with me and that's final."

Rainbow tried to pull a face but Applejack simply stared at her, tapping her hoof on the ground impatiently. Rainbow sighed in resignation. "Fine." Satisfied, Applejack led the way, walking past the still confused Twilight and heading along the track out of town. Rainbow trailed behind her, her hooves dangling in the air lazily. She flew over to Applejack and the two mares walked up to Sweet Apple Acres.

The small crack of light peeping into the barn quickly became bigger as the huge doors opened up with a slight creak. Rainbow gently put herself down on one of the cider barrels dotted around the place, once again her heart becoming heavy with guilt as she remembered seeing Cloudjumper moving them earlier that day. And now here she was, awaiting her punishment from the mare who's life she'd ruined.

Rainbow decided to speak first, breaking the silence the two mares had kept since leaving Twilight's. "Look AJ. I know what you're gonna say so just...just get it all over with and kill me, all right?"

Applejack simply looked back at her with a mildly amused look. "You really think I blame you for today, Rainbow?"

Rainbow rubbed her hooves together nervously. "Well heh, I sorta kissed you and then left you in a situation that got your coltfriend killed." Seeing the tears in Applejack's eyes, she quickly added, "Almost! That got your coltfriend almost killed." Another awkward silence filled the barn. Both mares looking at the ground uncomfortably. Applejack was constantly shifting from side to side nervously.

"Well, the kiss wasn't all that bad"

"HUH?!" Rainbow fell off the barrel backwards, landing awkwardly on the ground. Did she just say...?

"Look Rainbow, I-I overreacted a bit when you kissed me earlier." She sighed slightly. "I mean I had good reason, but I shouldn't have lashed out as much as I did, and I'm mighty sorry for that. After all, we'd probably not be in this situation right now if I'd had a lick of sense earlier."

Rainbow was barely even breathing at all, her heart pumping madly at hearing Applejack's confession.

Applejack lifted her head and looked at Rainbow with a smile. "Cloudjumper sorta told me I was bein' stupid. Said I love you and just didn't know it." She frowned a little as she thought about what to say next. "Look, I don't know if I wanna be with you. I mean you're a great friend and I love ya like a sister. It's just..."

Rainbow finally piped up. "Applejack, I'm not going to force you into a relationship you don't want. What kind of a friend would I be if I did that?" As much it pained her heart to say it, she knew it was the right thing to do.

"Rainbow, I want to...try. Maybe if we went on a few dates...or whatever you do in a relationship like this, maybe I might know fer sure if I do..." Applejack blushed slightly. "Well y'know."

Rainbow smiled back at her dreamily as the pieces began to fall together. "Oh! Wait right here!" Rainbow said, darting out of the barn in an instant. She quickly returned, landing outside the door. "Alright, close your eyes." Slightly curious, Applejack closed her eyes. In the darkness, she could hear Rainbow's light hoofsteps approaching her, tensing slightly in anticipation. She jumped a little as she felt something warm and soft placed on her head. Quickly opening her eyes, she looked up.

"My hat!" She exclaimed in amazement. "When? How?" Applejack was lost for words.

"You left it behind as we ran from the Ursa, I noticed it so quickly grabbed it before catching up to you." She blushed slightly as she saw the joy on her face as she held the hat in her hooves. "I know how much you like it and-" She was interrupted mid-sentence by the feeling of another pony's lips against hers. Rainbow may have kissed her in the barn earlier that day, but it was nothing compared to this. Applejack held the Stetson close to her chest as she lingered for a few seconds longer, smirking slightly at Rainbow's shocked yet delighted face.

The right gift can change a ponies heart.

The words echoed through Rainbow's head as she blissfully took in the taste of apples on her lips, savouring it all. She was only shook from her walk in dreamland by Applejack loudly clearing her throat in front of her.

"Thank you, Rainbow. It means a lot to me that you held onto this. Really."

"I love you, AJ."

Applejack paused, biting her lip before smiling warmly. "I love you too, Rainbow."

As the sun set over the horizon, the two mares sat together against a hay bale to watch it. They sat there for hours, long after the moon took it's place in the night sky.

And never broke the loving embrace they shared.

Author's Note:

As conclusive as this could've been, we still have a certain wonderbolt to check up on :ajsmug: That's right folks, on to the epilogue!