• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 2,605 Views, 92 Comments

A Competition With Two Winners - 1Bit



Rainbow Dash has been fighting her feelings about Applejack for a while now, but when Applejack falls in love with somepony else, what will Rainbow do?

  • ...
11
 92
 2,605

Chapter 12 - Rainbow Dash

Rainbow scrambled across the floor for dear life, unable to fly and unable to run. Celestia, please get me out of this! I don't wanna die! Finding herself against the wall, she turned to look at the creature before her, breathing hard. Huge drops of saliva splashed the floor inches away from her hooves, the beasts teeth glinting in the sunlight. Hang on...sunlight? Rainbow quickly searched for the light, seeing a dim glow in the corner of her vision. With a new found sense of hope, she flew through the legs of the creature, keeping her eyes fixed on the light. Narrowly missing flying right into the cave wall, she took a sharp turn to finally see the exit.

She grinned triumphantly, relief washing over her body. After hours of being trapped in a cave, she welcomed the small breeze seeping through the entrance of the cave. Her moment of bliss, however, was swiftly ruined by the roar of the Ursa, as it lumbered towards her. Rainbow's whole body was shaking in sync with the cave, as it came nearer and nearer to her. Oh give a gal a break, would ya? Carefully avoiding the rocks falling from the ceiling, she spread her wings again, making a dash for the exit. Gnashing her teeth, she flew as fast as she could away from her pursuer. Bet you can't keep up with a pegasus as fast as me, huh big fella? Beaming at her success so far, she took a moment to glance behind her. It was clear the Ursa was struggling, its body often coming into contact with the cave walls as it tried to squeeze through. Due to the distraction, Rainbow didn't notice the loose stone above her break away from the roof of the cave as the Ursa continued to struggle. With terrifying speed it hurtled down towards Rainbow, it's sharp edges tearing at her wing. With a yelp of pain, she slammed into the floor. She dared to look at her wing, grimacing at the ruined feathers and broken joints.

Fear drove her onwards as she exited into the forest, galloping into the brush just as the massive creature came into view. Tiny creatures scuttled past Rainbow's hooves as another ear-splitting roar echoed through the forest. Take deep breaths, Rainbow. Deep breaths. Her heart rate began to slow, the adrenaline of being face to face with an Ursa Major beginning to subside. She had little success in moving her damaged wing at all, pain surging through her body. She began sobbing at the sight. You're such an idiot, Rainbow. You could've gone anywhere but oh no! Gotta find a dark cave deep in the Everfree Forest to exile yourself in! Rainbow shook her head, retreating further from the cave. She tried to move as quietly as possible to avoid catching the creature's attention. Anxiously, she put one hoof in front of the other cringing every time she broke a twig or branch. Taking a deep breath, she began to move faster. She was quickly stopped by a small rock, landing flat on her face. She lay on the ground dazed, rubbing her sore hoof.

Stupid rock! She groaned, frowning slightly. Something like that happens again and I'm toast! At a sudden realisation, her pupils shrank. Hang on a second, why is it so quiet? The beast had disappeared from it's perch, the sudden silence becoming deafening. Rainbow nervously edged away. She scanned every corner of her vision with her eyes, jumping at every slight sound. The sudden sound of wood cracking caught her attention, turning just in time to see the Ursa charge directly at her, toppling every tree in it's path. Like a deer caught in headlights, Rainbow momentarily froze to the spot, only beginning to run as the Ursa roared again, displaying rows upon rows of jagged teeth. The chase began again, a trail of destruction in its wake.


Applejack sat alone against a lone tree. She may have been sitting there for minutes, possibly hours, it didn't matter to her. She'd failed Rainbow and Cloudjumper. She didn't have the strength to go on. Her gaze fell upon her Stetson, neatly lying on the ground next to her. She snatched it up and brought it close to her. She lifted her head slightly as she heard another roar in the distance, this time closer. Curious, she stood up and began slowly walking towards the noise. Listening carefully for any sounds, she pressed on. Parting the bushes in front of her to get a better look, she was greeted with a face full of pony. She fell back, hitting her head hard on the dry ground. She opened her eyes to have her vision completely covered in cyan hair.

She struggled beneath the thing on top of her. "What in tarnation?" Finally released from the fleshy prison, she got a good look at the thing. "Rainbow!" She practically squealed, bounding over to the mare. They shared a long hug, tears of joy flowing down their faces as they held one another.

"Applejack, what are you doing here?!" Rainbow asked in a mixture of confusion and happiness.

"Here to rescue you, ya numbskull!" Applejack smiled, playfully nudging the mare. "Just didn't really expect to find you!"

With a sudden pang of guilt, Rainbow looked at Applejack. "Look AJ, I'm really sorry-" Rainbow was interrupted as a tree fell down beside them, narrowly missing Applejack. Both mares turned to see the Ursa's form, Applejack's face covered in shock.

"Is that an Ursa MAJOR?!" She asked in disbelief, staring at it in awe.

"Yep, long story short, I pissed him off!" Grabbing the apple farmer, she stated bluntly, "So we gotta run!"

The Ursa swiped at Rainbow, tufts of a rainbow tail taken away by the wind. Applejack was coming under pressure as well, ducking as a huge claw threatened to take her head clean off in one foul swipe. In reply, she bucked the huge paw with all her strength, the beast yowling in pain and fury as the mares began to slow down. Rainbow's heart was failing on her, her lungs aching. She stopped to take a breath and instantly regretted it. The Ursa noticed the rainbow-mane'd pegasus stop in front of him and lunged forward. Rainbow didn't have time to react as the paw tightened around her stomach. She yelped in pain as she was brought closer and closer to the creature's head.

Applejack turned, running towards them. She was quickly stopped as another paw pinned her to the ground. She struggled against it but watched helplessly as Rainbow disappeared in the Ursa's huge paw. There were few times when Rainbow had been truly scared before. But staring at the gigantic mouth in front of her, watching as she was slowly brought further and further towards it, she admitted it. She was terrified. Screaming in distress, Rainbow flailed around wildly, praying for a miracle. Applejack could barely comprehend the horror she was watching, tears welling up in her eyes. She barely noticed the Ursa's expression turn from anger to confusion as Rainbow was basked in a purple glow that spread across her body. Blinking repeatedly, she stared in shock as Rainbow was gently lifted out of it's grasp and flown over the treeline.

She didn't have time to dwell on it as she noticed the same glow entrap her. She cringed slightly at the feeling of being thrown around with no control of her body herself. She felt sick. She could hear the furious roars of the Ursa as it followed her through the trees. After a few seconds the trees flew past her and she found herself in a small clearing, staring directly at a purple unicorn.

"Twilight...?"

"Everypony on the chariot now." Twilight ordered, an air of authority about her. "I said, now!" Free from the clutches of her magic, Applejack galloped over to the chariot and slumped down in front of Rainbow. Twilight quickly stepped in and gestured to the royal guards to fly. Without a second thought, they leapt into the air. Despite the Ursa Major's cries, they were well out of its range. Still terrified, Applejack and Rainbow held each other close.

They didn't let go for the entire flight back.