• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 2,604 Views, 92 Comments

A Competition With Two Winners - 1Bit



Rainbow Dash has been fighting her feelings about Applejack for a while now, but when Applejack falls in love with somepony else, what will Rainbow do?

  • ...
11
 92
 2,604

Chapter 1 - Rainbow's Chance

The sun steadily rose in the sky, rays of golden light shining down on the many bountiful fields and hills across the land. The warm sunlight shone throughout Ponyville, ponies gradually rising out of bed to greet the morning. As the minutes ticked by, the streets became busier and busier, a whole spectrum of colour in the markets as ponies of all shapes and sizes began to busy themselves with their daily tasks and chores. But what nopony expected was the sudden blur that zoomed through the streets of the town, leaving bystanders in a daze. A loud Fwoosh followed it everywhere it went and before anypony could react, the blur was gone again, a rainbow contrail the only evidence of it's existence.

Rainbow Dash didn't have time to acknowledge the beauty of the sunrise as the pegasus weaved her way through the many buildings in Ponyville. She nervously threw glances in every direction, holding a small piece of paper tightly to her chest. She doesn't start yet, right? Rainbow had already worked through her plan multiple times in her head, scrutinizing every detail. I'll never get a chance to speak to her if she's already working! Oh please, please, PLEASE tell me she isn't in the market already! Rainbow hovered high above the market stalls, a nervous trickle of sweat running down her face. She squinted her eyes, letting out a sigh of relief when she realised the apple cart hadn't arrived yet. Even so, the various small stalls were getting their first few customers of the day. The cyan mare, however, was soaring through the sky again in an instant.

As stores and houses began to disappear in the distance, Rainbow allowed herself a minute to relax, letting the chilly, morning breeze flow through her polychromatic mane. She took a deep breath as she let the gentle wind soothe her aching muscles. She'd barely had any sleep the night before, her mind a flurry of doubts and questions. It had been the early hours of the morning when she finally knew what she was going to do and she was up bright and early to make sure everything went to plan. Since Rainbow's incredible performance at the Best Young Flyers' Competition and her amazing Sonic Rainboom, the mare had spent large amounts of time fretting over her day with the Wonderbolts. Not because I'm nervous She quickly reminded herself, I'm too awesome to be nervous! But... who's awesome enough to go with me?. It was true. Ever since the official invitation came through, stating that Rainbow could bring one guest for her day with her lifelong heroes, she'd been in deep thought ever since.

Who would even be interested anyway? Would Twilight want to go? Wait, of course not! She's an egghead...why would she care about the Wonderbolts? Rainbow lay on her bed, her face shoved into a pillow. Fluttershy? No. Pinkie? No. Rarity? Oh please...she'd spend the whole day commenting on their outfits! She dropped off the bed, lifting her head up as she began trotting around the room in a similar fashion to the many upper class unicorns of Canterlot she'd seen. "Oh would you look at the tacky stitching on his suit!" She daintily pointed a hoof at the non-existent Wonderbolt in the room with her, trying her best to act like her unicorn friend. "How in Equestria can he fly in a suit like that? It's simply a crime against fashion!" Rainbow dramatically raised her hoof to her forehead as she said the last words. She continued to pace the room before exhaling slowly. Yep, that's Rarity off the list... She leapt back onto her bed, bringing a hoof to her chin. But what about Applejack? Rainbow suddenly sat up straight, like an electrical surge just went up her spine. Yeah...she's pretty athletic. I'm sure she'd enjoy it.

She eased up again as memories came flooding back to her, each bringing a warm smile to her lips. After the Iron Pony competition, Rainbow had began to realise her affections for the mare. Sure, Applejack had always been a great friend of hers. They'd both been friends ever since the Pegasus had moved to Ponyville. But after their competition, Rainbow had began to feel differently about the humble apple farmer. She was captivated by her every word, her southern accent like music to her ears. She was mesmerized by her golden mane as it shone in the sun on the orchards. Somehow, seeing Applejack's competitive side that day changed something in the pegasus. Everything about the mare gave Rainbow warm, fuzzy feelings she couldn't explain at first. But now she knew. Those warm, fuzzy feelings she got were a sign of love.

And of course her being there with me would make the day ten times as awesome! Rainbow closed her eyes as she began to daydream, settling down on her comfy, cloud bed. Just to be near her and to hear her voice...there's no-one I'd rather spend the day with. Just thinking about her beautiful green eyes, her cute freckles, I...I... Rainbow's eyes suddenly opened again as an idea crept into her mind. That's it! Maybe, just maybe, spending the day with Applejack, I might finally be able to have some quality time with her. Show her how awesome I am! Show her...how I truly feel about her. She stifled a yawn, shutting her eyes as her pillow beckoned her. But y'know...right now this pony needs her shut eye! She laid her head down, a small smile visible as she threw herself into the night's embrace and caught up on some much needed sleep.

Now here she was, the next day, making her way up to Sweet Apple Acres. As the large, red barn came into view, Rainbow's wings stubbornly refused to let her go further. Rainbow's nerves beginning to get the better of her. As more and more apple trees popped up on the horizon, Rainbow's stomach churned. What if she can't go? What if she has too much work to do on the orchards? The day wouldn't be the same without her! What if- Rainbow's train of thought dissipated back into the warm, fuzzy feelings she'd grown use to as she spotted the orange mare, steadily making her way down the track towards Ponyville. For that one moment, everything was right in the world. Rainbow quickly looked down, making sure the paper was still securely in her hooves. She took many a deep breath as she hovered in mid-air staring at the earth pony. Okay, just keep it cool Rainbow. You got this...just handing the invitation to your friend. Noooo problem hehe...