• Published 30th Dec 2014
  • 1,395 Views, 36 Comments

Rainbow is Magic: The Cutie Mark Crusaders - aceotaku



Diamond Tiara and her friends need to learn more about cutie marks!

  • ...
1
 36
 1,395

Chapter 1

Diamond Tiara had a wonderful life. She was rich, did well in school to a degree, she had her dad wrapped around her hooves and she had a best friend in her classmate Silver Spoon.

Sure, she may give other ponies a hard time, and she might be what is called a ‘bully’ but she didn’t care. She was better than all of them (except for her friend Silver Spoon, of course) so it didn’t matter to her what she did or how they felt about her.
Diamond Tiara had wonderful life....until she got her cutie mark.

Her dad had given her a tiara as a present. It looked beautiful on her and went well with her mane. As she admired herself in the mirror, she noticed something on her flanks, gasping as she realised she had gotten her cutie mark. She jumped for joy as she excitedly showed it off to her father who took the news with pride. Shortly afterwards, he had thrown her a cutie-cenera where several ponies she didn’t know too well attended, as well as her closest friend.

She quickly went over to Silver Spoon, showing off her cutie mark to her. “See? We’re the first ones to get a cutie mark in our class! Isn’t that exciting?”

Silver Spoon raised a brow, an unreadable expression on her face. “Yeah, that would be an accomplishment. Remember though I got mine before you.”


“Yeah I know, but still this just shows we’re top of the class like always.”

Silver Spoon shook her head. “I...don’t think so.” She smirked as her coltfriend used his magic to dump the nearby bowl of punch all over the pin filly.

Diamond Tiara shivered, staring at her friend in shock, only to be knocked to the ground as a brown earth pony with white freckles and an maroon mane pushed her to the ground. Diamond looked up at them both. “S-Silver...?”

Silver Spoon looked over her hoof nonchalantly as she handed a few bits to the earth pony that assaulted Diamond Tiara. “Oh Diamond, look at you getting so worked up and excited over nothing.”

“N-nothing...?” Diamond Tiara blinked, looking confused. “W-what do you mean...?”

“I mean, you’re getting so excited for....what, exactly? Getting a useless cutie mark?”

“U-useless....?”

Silver Spoon smirked coldly. “Yes. Useless. You got your cutie mark for wearing a tiara. I mean, what kind of talent is that, wearing a tiara of all things! So, tell me, why should I care?”

“Silver...y-you’re my friend...” Diamond Tiara whimpered, tears forming.

“Oh Diamond, you say the silliest things sometimes.” The filly laughed coldly. “You and I used to be friends, but with such a worthless talent, you’re no better than a blank flank so, really, why should I continue to be friends with a filly so beneath me?”

“B-beneath...?” Diamond Tiara growled angrily. “M-my daddy will--!”

“Will what? My dad is richer, more successful and more powerful than your dad. The only reason we’re in this town to begin is because we didn’t want to waste money on an unnecessarily expensive school and this was the cheapest place available. Really, you’re totally worthless in every conceivable fashion. You’re not that rich, your daddy isn’t that influential and worse of all, you’re no better than a blank flank!”

Diamond started crying, staring at her former friend in betrayal as her dad stepped in, looking livid.

“The party is over! Get out of my house you vile little filly!” He glared at everyone else. “That goes for all of you who’d just stand there and watch! Get out!”

Silver Spoon merely sighed in exasperation as she and her entourage left, followed by the other guests at the party who looked more shameful and remorseful. Diamond Tiara’s father sighed and turned to his daughter sympathetically. Diamond Tiara looked had pulled off her tiara, staring at in her hooves with tear-filled eyes. She then growled in anger and threw her tiara to the ground in disgust and stomped on it with her hoof, shattering it.

“Worthless, useless, stupid thing!” She yelled between sobs. “M-making me lose my friend a-and r-ruining the best day of my life a-and...” She collapsed into despairing sobs as her dad ran his hoof gently along her back.

“We can repair it.” He said calmly.

“I don’t want it repaired!” The filly retorted. “And I don’t want a new one either! I-I want a new cutie mark! A-a better one! B-better than Silver Spoon’s and all the rest! I-I want the best cutie mark in the world!”

Her father sighed and looked at her with sympathetic but brutally honest eyes. “It’s not that simple, sweetie. Your cutie mark is with you for life; it shows the world your special talent. You can’t just replace it like some...some cheap item from a store.”

“B-but we’re the richest ponies in Ponyville, we can buy anything we want!”

He frowned sternly. “No, we cannot. Not everything can be bought, Diamond, and money can’t do everything. Once you earn your cutie mark, you have it, no ifs, ands or buts.”

“B-but...t-this one is defective...i-it made my best friend in the world hate me a-and say awful things to my face...”

“I know sweetheart, but if she was truly your friend, she wouldn’t do or say those things.” He growled. “That...filly is not your friend, and never was.”
Diamond Tiara fell to her knees, looking down. “Th-then what am I supposed to do...? N-nopony will like me f-for having a-a cutie mark in looking pretty o-or wearing tiaras o-or whatever....”

Filthy Rich smiled and wrapped a foreleg around her shoulder, smiling warmly. “Ah, but there’s more to earning a cutie mark than just earning it, you must also learn it.”

“H-huh?” she looked up at him, bewildered.

“You got your cutie mark, yes, but you don’t even know what it means, the most important part of earning your mark. For some it’s fairly obvious and simple, but for most it takes time and consideration and experimentation to discover what the actual meaning is and thus what your special talent is, in fact it could have multiple meanings.”

“S-so what does it mean?”

He shrugged. “That’s not something I can tell you, dearheart. To learn your special talent is wholly dependent on you, it’s something you and only you alone can discover for yourself. Now, dry your tears, it’s still your cutie-cenera.”

Diamond Tiara nodded and slowly got up onto her hooves. She looked at the shattered tiara beside her and scooped the pieces up. “C-could we get this fixed up...daddy?”

Her father smile and petted her head gently. “Of course, my little princess.”

She didn’t even complain about him messing up her mane.

------------------------------------

The next day, Diamond Tiara had gone to school, wearing her repaired tiara on her head. It didn’t look as good as before, due to how damaged it had been by her tantrum, but it was serviceable. She smiled as she passed by several of her classmates, who pointedly ignored her for some reason.

She yelped in surprise as somepony grabbed her tiara off her head and she turned to take it back. The unicorn colt laughed and held it higher in the hair with his magic, out of her reach, no matter how high she tried to jump up to grab it.

“Give it back!” Diamond Tiara whined. “It’s mine! Daddy got that for me!”

The colt, a rather chubby light-blue unicorn, chuckled. “Why should I? You’re not the boss of me.”

“I said give it back! Put it down!”

“Well , if you say so!” He smirked and harshly threw the tiara into the ground, shattering it again, faster than the earth filly could react. She stared at her once again ruined tiara and started crying.

Silver Spoon walked over, standing beside the colt, who tiara finally dimly remember s being the same unicorn who dumped punch all over her. Silver Spoon nuzzled the colt’s neck gently before sneering at Diamond Tiara. Ponies walked passed, pointedly looking away as they headed for class as the pink filly sobbed, looking for somepony to help.

“Noone’s gonna help you anymore, DT.” Silver Spoon mocked. “You’ve pushed everypony around long enough, none of our school chums care about you, you’re a bully, you deserve everything you get.” She chuckled. “And even if they did want to help, they couldn’t try unless they wanted my daddy to make their parents lives miserable.”

“Why are you doing this to me!?” Diamond Tiara sobbed. “I didn’t do anything to you!”

“As I said at your cutie-cenera, you’re beneath me. The only reason I tolerated you was because your daddy knows my daddy, and I hoped to make a friend with somepony like me. But I was wrong. You’re stupid and you have worthless talent. But the main reason I’m doing this,” she leaned in close, her muzzle inches from Diamond Tiara’s, “is because I find it fun to put you in your place, and show you just how much better I am than you.”

“Silver Spoon, Snips, what do you two think you’re doing?”

The two bullies’ eyes widened nd they looked up nervously at the stern, disapproving look of a yellow Pegasus with an orange, flame-like mane.

“N-nothing Miss Spitfire!” Snips blustered out nervously.

The Pegasus raised a brow. “Doesn’t look like nothing to me. In fact, if I am not mistaken, it looks to me like you’re bullying one of your classmates.”

“Well, maybe to your eyes but...” Silver Spoon began.

“Save it.” Spitfire interrupted. “Both you, detention, after school, my office. Now, get to class.”

“Hey, my daddy won’t like you ordering me round like that!” Silver Spoon said snippily.

“Now!” The Pegasus snapped, her expression becoming furious, frightening the two bullies into running to class. “And no running in the halls!” She sighed and turned to a weeping Diamond Tiara, who was desperately trying to scoop up the shattered remains of her tiara. “Diamond Tiara, just leave it there, the janitor will clean it up later...”

“No!” The pink filly cried out. “I-I can fix it, I-I can!” She sobbed quietly. “P-please Miss Spitfire, th-this is important to me...”

Spitfire sighed and gently laid a wing on the filly’s back. “I can help you, if you want.”

“N-no...i-it’s fine, y-you have to go and start class...j-just mark me as being late. I-it’ll take me a while to pick up the pieces, they got all scattered, a-and I need to fix it....”

“Diamond, you can fix it later...”

“NO! I HAVE TO DO IT NOW!”

The teacher backed away from the outburst, frowning in concern. “....Alright, Diamond, but you know you can come to me if you have any further problems, alright?”

“Th...thank you...”

The Pegasus gave the filly one last concerned look before walking off to begin class, while Diamond tried to pick up the errant fragments of her destroyed tiara, sobbing as she did so.

“Need thome help?”

The filly blinked and looked up at a bespectacled white filly with an unruly red mane. “A-arent’t you...Twit, I think your name was?”

“Twitht, actually!” The filly grinned. “I think you need thome help though, so can I?”

“B-but I....b-bullied....you, I-I mocked you for being a blank flank when I got mine, a-and I-I said lots of other things....e-everypony else hates me...” She looed down to the ground in shame. “I-I’m a bad filly...I-I deserve to have my best friend treat me like this...l-like I treated everypony else...”

Twist shrugged and started searching the ground. “Nopony detherveth that! You’re not a bad pony, DT, you jutht didn’t have the right friend or learnt the right leththonth!”

“You’re...being awfully nice...” Diamond Tiara said, eyes narrowing. “Why?”

Twist grinned and hugged Diamond Tiara tightly, making the other filly gasp in surprise. “Cause I don’t like theeing anyone elthe thad, and you were thad, so I think I thould be friendth with you so you become unthad!”

Diamodn Tiara blinked. “You...want to be friends with me...?”

“thure!” She separated from Diamond Tiara and shook her hoof excitedly. “We’re gonna be thuper good friendth, you’ll thee, and then you won’t be thad anymore!”

Diamond Tiara looked down, scooping what they had managed to gather into a small pile she put into ehr carrying bag. “R-really? Just like that, and so suddenly?”

“Yeth!”

“A-Alright...then....can you help me fix my tiara...? My daddy just paid for it to be fixed and I don’t want to upset him by showing it got broken....again...?”

“Thure!” Twist grinned and hopped alongside Diamond Tiara as they walked to the school supply cabinet to get some glue and tape. “Wait...again?”

“I...don’t wanna talk about it...”

“Alright!”

And so they walked, together.