• Published 31st Dec 2014
  • 1,186 Views, 37 Comments

Home On The Range - Bluecatcinema



Big Red and Cherry Jubilee get more than they bargained for when they take in three young troublemakers from off the streets.

  • ...
3
 37
 1,186

Moving Forward, Looking Back

Years ago...

A few days after attending the wedding of Shine and Celestia, Big Red was relaxing at the homestead. Things seem to had quiet down a lot over the past year or so.

Ever since Shine left for Canterlot, it had only been him and Mist (with Cherry sometimes visiting), but months after Shine had left (far longer than he swore he would be gone), Shine sent back a letter, explaining that he was now living at Canterlot, pursuing a relationship with Celestia. If that wasn't surprising enough, Shine had offered Mist to come live with them. As much as it pained him, he knew that Mist would be well cared for by his brother, now a stallion after his own father's heart.

As of now, it was just him. All by himself... is this what it felt like to live alone? Big Red didn't think it would be so... empty.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door.

"Who could that be?" Big Red wondered, as he got up to answer it.

Behind the door was Cherry.

"Howdy, Cherry." Big Red smiled. "Ta what do Ah owe the pleasure?"

"There's something I'd like to talk to you about." Cherry declared. "Can I come in?"

"Sure." Big Red nodded.

"Thank you." Cherry smiled, following him into the living room.

"So, what's on yer mind Cherry?" Big Red asked.

"A simple question: Why haven't you asked me out yet?" Cherry inquired.

"Ah, uh... what?" Big Red gaped.

"I know you're attracted to me, Red." Cherry smiled. "I've known for a while now, and to be honest, I feel the same way."

"Wha- Er..." Big Red stuttered, taken completely by surprise.

"What I want to know is why haven't you made a move?" Cherry asked. "We've known each for years, and you've never once tried to take our relationship to the next level. Why?"

"We, Ah, er..." Big Red muttered. "It's... complicated."

"How so?" Cherry asked.

"It just is." Big Red declared. "Can't ya just drop it?"

"Not until you give me a proper answer." Cherry frowned. "Were you just afraid I'd say 'no'? Because I won't."

"It's not that." Big Red shrugged.

"Do you not want to jeopardize our friendship?" Cherry asked.

"No..." Big Red scratched his mane.

"Then what?" Cherry asked.

"It's... it's..." Big Red stuttered.

"What?" Cherry urged. "Tell me, Red!"

"...Ah'm infertile, okay?!" Big Red suddenly blew up. "Ah can't make young 'uns!"

"You can't...?" Cherry gasped. "Oh, Red..."

"Yeah." Big Red sighed heavily. "Ah wuz told by mah doc a few years back. That's why Ah ain't made a move. 'Cuz Ah ain't good enough fer ya."

"Of course you're good enough." Cherry assured him.

"No Ah ain't." Big Red shook his head. "An amazin' mare like you deserves a family, an' that's the one thing Ah can't give." He sighed again. "It's better if'n ya go fer somepony else."

"No, it's not." Cherry said firmly. "Nopony else makes me feel the way you do. I want to be with you, Red."

"But ya deserve more than a stallion who can't give ya kids." Big Red bowed his head. "Ya deserve better."

"No." Cherry tilted up his head with her hoof. "And do you know why? ...You already gave me them."

"...Come again?" Big Red raised a brow.

"Red... shortly after White and Silver passed away, you asked me with helping you take care of Shine and Mist. You may not believe it, but you gave me the chance to be a mother to those two, when their own mother couldn't be there for them. Sure, they weren't my kids... but helping you raise them into wonderful ponies who went off to find their own path in life... you showed me what it was like to be a mother... and I am forever grateful for that." Cherry smiled warmly.

"Yeah... but still... I don't want you to go through life not knowing what it's like to have foals of your own." Big Red frowned, bowing his head, "Would you give up all that... just to be with me?"

"Of course." Cherry nodded, "Maybe I won't have foals of my own someday…but I can live with that."

She then placed her hoof under Big Red's chin and lifted up his head.

"But one thing that I do not want to go without is you. I love you, Red." Cherry smiled, as she then planted a soft kiss on Big Red's lips.

"Dad gum..." Big Red whispered.

"So... are you going to make a move now?" Cherry grinned.

"Aw, yeah." Big Red chuckled. "Whaddaya say ta a stroll down by the lake? We got lots and lots of 'couple' stuff to make up for."

"I say 'with pleasure'." Cherry beamed, wrapping her hoof around Big Red. "I've been waiting a long for this, and I'm sure it'll be worth the wait."

"Oh, Ah'll make sure a' that." Big Red grinned.

Big Red planted a kiss of his own on Cherry.

"Get 'er done." He smiled.

The present...

The morning after the encounter with Marshall, Big Red awoke, still shook up by what had happened. He had honestly just lost another best friend, and so soon after he lost Black, his other best friend.

"What a mess..." He sighed. "Ah've lost all mah childhood friends now. 'Cept fer Cherry, but still..."

He came downstairs for breakfast, numbly eating his cherry pancakes.

Cherry could tell something was off about Red. She had noticed the night before, but he refused to tell her what had happened.

"Everything okay, Red?" She asked.

"Aw, yeah." Big Red put on a fake smile. "All fine an' dandy."

Cherry sighed. She knew he was lying, but didn't have time to press the matter. She had to head into town to pick up some things.

"See you later, dear." She kissed him on the cheek.

"Bye, darlin'." Big Red gave her a genuine smile.

Shortly after Cherry left, the boys came downstairs.

"Mornin', Red." Huckleberry smiled.

"Mornin', boys." Big Red grinned.

"Hey, where's mom?" Globe asked, having wholeheartedly embraced calling Cherry by that title.

"Oh, she had ta pop inta town fer a few things." Big Red declared.

"So, what's the plan for work today?" Eclipse asked.

"Actually, Ah wuz thinkin' we culd play some stickball." Big Red smiled.

"Really?" Eclipse raised a brow. "But don't we still have community service?"

"Aw, don't you worry about that." Big Red smirked. "You boys've bin workin' real hard over the past few weeks. Ah think it's safe to say you three earned a day or two of fun."

"Seriously?" Huckleberry asked. "We get to just hang out, and play games?"

"And eat?" Globe added.

"Yep. If ya ask me, y'all've earned it." Big Red nodded, hoping that the chance to bond further with the boys would take his mind off Marshall.

In fact, it reminded him of something.

"Hang on. Ah got y'all a li'l sumthin'." Big Red declared.

Big Red went into one of the closets, and pulled out three bandannas and a Stetson, showing them to the boys.

"Wow, for us?!" Globe smiled, as Red passed him a red bandana. Globe wasted no time in using his magic to tie around his neck, "You shouldn't have!"

"Think nuthin' of it." Big Red grinned, as he passed Huckleberry the Stetson and a green bandana. "Jest a li'l something fer bein' such great kids. Huckleberry, Ah figgered ya'd look better in a hat, so I got ya a hat to go with that bandana."

"Not bad." Huckleberry put on his Stetson and bandana and admired himself in a mirror. "The ladies are gonna love this. Makes me feel like a rootin' tootin' cowpony!"

"That was the whole idea." Big Red smiled, as he then passed a blue bandana to Eclipse, "Figgered they'd help ya feel more at home here. It's mah way of sayin' this is where ya belong."

Eclipse glancing at his bandana. He had never received a gift from his father, and there Red was, giving him this token of appreciation. He was touched.

"Thanks, Red." He smiled, tying the bandanna around his neck. "This is... really great."

"Your welcome, Eclipse." Big Red smiled, the smile on Eclipse's beak making him happier on the inside. "But enough jawin', let's get ta playin' some stick ball!"

The boys cheered as they raced outside, Big Red following.

"Wanna team up with me, Red?" Eclipse asked, "I happen to be a pro at this game."

"Sure thing." Red nodded, more pleased at how far Eclipse had come. "We'll show 'em how it's done!"

"Not likely." Huckleberry teased.

"We'll find out soon enough, young 'un." Big Red grinned. "Now, play ball!"

They began playing their game in earnest. The boys were genuinely having fun, and that fact filled Big Red's heart with joy.

Meanwhile…

"Oh... my head..."

Marshall groaned, clutching his forehead with his hoof. He was nursing one mother of a hangover in his office. However, that was the least of his problems, as he remembered what went down the night before between him and Red.

"What did I do?" He lamented. "The things I said, the things I did... I, I tried to shoot him! What's wrong with me?!"

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Cringing, he went to open it, finding his father, Lone, at the door.

"Oh, hi, dad." Marshall frowned. Next to Red, his father was the last pony he wanted to see.

"What in the wide, wide world of Equestria happened to you, boy?" Lone gasped, noting Marshall's disheveled and miserable appearance.

"It's a long story, dad." Marshall groaned.

"I've got some time to spare." Lone shrugged. "So spit it out."

Reluctantly, Marshall filled his father in on the events of the night before.

"Fighting in the street." Lone shook his head in disgust. "What a disgraceful scene that must have been."

"Tell me about it." Marshall sighed. "I destroyed what little friendship I had left with Big Red, brought shame to my badge, and now... I'm not sure if I can look Cherry in the eye ever again... I messed up real bad..."

"Now, now, son... I'm sure once you give Red a wide berth for a while, the whole thing will blow over." Lone soothed. "We all blow our stack sometimes. Think of it as a learning experience."

"I don't know, dad." Marshall moaned, "Big Red's been my friend for a long time... but ever since he and Cherry got married, I just... I just don't know what to do anymore..."

"Well for starters, you should just get over your childhood crush." Lone said bluntly.

"Excuse me?" Marshall gaped.

"Come on, Marshall. You've been pining over Cherry for more than half your life." Lone said distastefully, "It's getting old."

"I haven't been pining after her!" Marshall protested.

"Of course you have." Lone snorted. "I've seen it. You always got those puppy dog eyes whenever she was around."

"But..." Marshall spluttered.

"You should've made a move when you had the chance." Lone declared. "But you didn't. And because of that, she married somepony else. You should have accepted that, and let go. But instead, you held it against the stallion who did marry her, and look where that got you: Brawling in the streets."

"I wouldn't call it 'brawling'..." Marshall pouted.

"Look, you need to accept the fact that it's never going to happen." Lone frowned, "I know you liked her and all, but she is with Big Red now, and she loves him very much. Nothing you can do will ever change that. It would do you wonders if you'd just grow up and get on with your life."

"Oh, now you care about what I do with my life? " Marshall spat, suddenly angry.

"And what's that supposed to mean?" Lone glared.

"Oh, please." Marshall snorted. "You barely even noticed me when I was growing up, no matter what I did!"

"That's not true!" Lone barked. "I supported you, didn't I?"

"Oh yeah, then why is it that all I heard from you all my life is what a great pony Big Red was?! He wasn't your kid! I was your kid!" Marshall growled.

"Are you seriously mad at me over that? I was giving him my support. His father was never around when he was a kid so I gave him somepony to look up to, to give him encouragement." Lone explained.

"Oh, so neglect your own child to help some other neglected kid, is that it?!" Marshall glared.

"You're starting to sound a little selfish, son." Lone glared.

"I'm selfish?!" Marshall roared. "You were the one so wrapped up in your career that you never paid your own son any mind!"

"Oh, really?" Lone countered. "Who was it that helped you follow in his hoofsteps and become sheriff? Me! Of course, then you nearly threw it all away over some petty jealousy. If any pony had seen you acting like that, we would've both been disgraced. All my hard work would've gone down the drain..."

"For your information, I became sheriff all on my own!" Marshall snarled. "I slaved and worked hard for your old job, just so I could help ponies and finally earned your approval, but you never even gave me the time of day! If you are so upset with how I turned out, dad, then maybe you should blame yourself for never caring enough to raise me right!"

Lone stepped back, shocked and visibly hurt by those words.

"Son, I..." He muttered.

"Save it." Marshall spat. "I'm going on my rounds. Don't wait up."

Marshall stomped out the office, leaving his heartbroken father behind.

As he walked away, Marshall's anger gave way to regret.

'I've done it again.' He thought, a tear coming to his eye. 'I've pushed somepony else close to me away.'

In town, Cherry had just exited the corner store, grocery saddle bags full. As she made her way back home, she spotted Marshall walking down the street, looking down and clearly depressed.

"What's wrong, Marshall?" She walked over to him.

"Oh... hi, Cherry." Marshall frowned, not sure if Big Red had told her what he almost did.

"I asked you a question." Cherry declared. "What's wrong?"

"It's... nothing." Marshall sighed.

"It doesn't sound like nothing." Cherry countered. "You might feel better if you talk about it."

"Trust me, no amount of talking can fix this problem." Marshall said solemnly. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my rounds. I'm sorry."

Cherry looked on as Marshall sadly walked away. She couldn't help but feel sorry for her old friend.

'Whatever's the matter, I hope you make it through, Marshall.' She thought.

As Cherry returned home, she was greeted by the sight of Big Red and the boys playing stickball. Despite her concern for Marshall, she couldn't help cracking a smile at her 'boys' playing together.

"Alright boys, time for lunch." She chuckled. "Globe, I got some of that honey mustard you like."

"Thanks, mom." Globe beamed. "You're the best."

"You're very welcome, dear." Cherry grinned.

"Aw, yeah." Huckleberry grinned, as the boy left the game. "Don't know if I've ever said this, but Cherry makes the best cactus flower sandwiches ever."

"It really is great stuff." Eclipse agreed. "Especially the fish. I know it's hard to get stuff like that from pony stores. Thanks for going to all the trouble for me."

"It's no trouble at all." Cherry smiled.

"Darn tootin'." Big Red agreed, patting Eclipse on the back. "We're happy ta do it."

"Especially if it makes you happy." Cherry added.

"Thanks, guys." Eclipse smiled. "I really do appreciate everything you've done for us."

"Glad ta hear it." Big Red chuckled. "Now, let's get us some grub."

That night, Big Red and Cherry laid in bed, still awake.

"It's really turned out so wonderful, having those boys here." Cherry admitted. "I can't remember things being so lively here. And they're all so sweet. Eclipse took a while, but he's a darling, too."

"Yep." Big Red nodded. "Bringin' 'em here was the best decision Ah ever made... well, aside taking Shine and Mist in, and askin' you to marry me."

"No argument here." Cherry chuckled, before giving a small smile. "You know, I was thinking..."

"Me, too..." Big Red mused, "I know it might be crazy, but I thought I might as well get it out there..."

"I want to adopt the boys." They said, turning to each other, at the same time. They both light up at their simultaneous response.

"Well, guess great minds think alike." Big Red chuckled. "Considerin' their pa ain't nowhere ta be seen, Ah reckon we oughta have a shot at it."

"I hope the boys go for it, though." Cherry fretted for a moment.

"Course they will." Big Red grinned. "They love ya. Heck, Globe's already callin' ya 'mom'! It will be like old times when we were raising Shine and Mist."

"But do you think we could care for Eclipse?" Cherry pondered, "I mean, ponies of a different kind is one thing, but a griffon, a completely different species?"

"Of course we can. 'Cause we will be doing it together, like we should have back then." Big Red assured her. "Whattaya say?"

"Well, maybe we should look into it tomorrow." Cherry declared. "Pay Fine Print a visit."

"Sounds good." Big Red yawned. "Night, darlin'."

"Good night, honey." Cherry kissed Red as they snuggled under the covers.

The next morning, Big Red got up before Cherry, getting ready to depart for Fine Print's office, when he noticed his message book vibrating in the bedside drawer. He opened it, and found a message inside.

"Hello, is there a Big Red there?" An message, written in a unfamiliar handwriting, read.

Big Red raised a brow in confusion, as he began writing back.

"Yes, this is Big Red here. Who's writing?" Big Red wrote in response.

"Ah, good, this magic notebook that Mr. Larceny Napoleon gave me works after all." Another message came up, "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Gregory Contrail. I'm the griffon agent Mr. Grimoire Napoleon sent to search for those boys' father. I am writing to you from Saddleburg to let you know that I might have located the griffon you are looking for."

"No foolin'?" Big Red wrote, surprised. "Wait, what do you mean you 'might have'? What's stoppin' ya from making sure?"

It took the griffon agent a bit to response.

"Look, I know I shouldn't stick my beak where it doesn't belong, and I know you have good intentions... but I'll be honest with you, this 'father' you're looking for seems like a bit of a shady customer. The kind you would find in a dark alley. I should know, I'm kinda one of those guys." Gregory wrote back, his scribbling hesitant. "Are you sure he's the kind of guy you want to bring to Dodge Junction to take back those kids?"

"Well…" Big Red frowned, thinking back to all the things the three boys said about him, and especially the scars on Eclipse's back, "To be honest, I'm not so sure anymore."

"Tell you what." Gregory replied. "I'll give you 'til the end of the day to make up your mind. After that, I'll be leaving. I have a mate, a daughter, and a whole bunch of eggs close to hatching waiting for me back home, you see. My wife's been, how shall I put it, 'active', lately."

"Ah understand all too well." Big Red wrote. "Thanks fer the info."

Big Red closed the book. He wandered out into the orchard, conflicted. He had heard all sorts of unsettling stories about the boys' father, and had formed the opinion that he was not a pleasant fellow. And there was that undeniable fact that he was abusive towards his own son, and he couldn't fathom what else he might do to Eclipse. But at the same time, he was still their father, and that he had a right to be with them.

But even then, he had grown so close to them, and taught them so much. A part of him feared that all the progress he made would all be for naught and they would be back to the same situation they were in when he first met them... if not worse.

In the midst of his thinking, Big Red found himself back at the cherry tree he and Black had planted years ago.

"Would it be so bad if, just this once, Ah was selfish?" Big Red wondered aloud. "That Ah kept the boys here, with me an' Cherry, rather than give 'em back to their father? Would that be so terrible?"

"Talking to yourself again?"

Big Red turned to see Black standing before him once more. He looked a lot like he did before he died, save for the milky eye and Sombra's horn.

"You again." Big Red sighed, not even surprised anymore. "Now, this is how I remember you when you died…"

"Yeah... to be honest, I liked myself this way. The horn just gave me a migraine, and I was already having trouble navigating with one eye before my sweet little 'grandniece' blinded it... not that I blame her." Black shrugged.

"What is it you want, Black?" Big Red frowned.

"The bigger question, Big Red, is what this I'm hearing?" Black smirked. "The saintlike Big Red, thinking about keeping a father from his sons? For shame! We all thought you were better than that!"

"Hey, Ah can be a better father to those boys than he can!" Big Red countered. "In fact, Ah am a better father!"

"It doesn't matter how bad a father the guy is." Black tutted. "Abusive or not, it wouldn't be right to take his boys away from him."

"What do you know, Black?!" Big Red roared. "Ya never were a father! You pushed away every single pony that cared about ya! Yet yer asking me to send those poor boys to live with that griffon?!"

"It's for their sake, Red. As well as yours." Black countered.

"Mine?" Big Red frowned. "How is any a' this for mah sake?!"

"Because... you're deliberating holding onto the boys, namely Eclipse, because you're trying to repent." Black replied.

"Repent?" Big Red repeated. "What in Faust's name would Ah need ta repent for?!"

"...For what has become of me." Black said simply.

"...What?" Big Red gaped.

"Remember when I said Eclipse reminded me of myself?" Black asked. "Well, you are picturing Eclipse in my hooves. Eclipse is a brilliant young griffon with a lot of potential, just like I was when I was his age. But I ended up killing and hurting hundreds of innocent ponies, and you believe that all of it happen because you never confronted me that day at the train station. And you believe that if Eclipse were to go back to his father, he would end up the same... Or am I wrong?"

"We- ye- so-" Big Red spluttered, his voice failing him. He sat down, and took off his hat. "Black... you were mah best friend... Ah always looked up to you like a brother." He admitted. "Ah didn't want to believe that ya turned inta this 'monster' everypony said you become. Not just fer White's sake... because... it wuz mah fault ya turned out this way."

"No, it wasn't." Black shook his head.

"Yes it wuz!" Big Red yelled, growing teary eyed. "If only Ah talked to ya, or stopped ya from gettin' on that train, White woulda still had his brother. Shine and Mist woulda still had their uncle. Ah woulda still had mah best friend... and ya'd still be alive." He started sobbing. "Ah would give everything just ta go back ta the days where ya still had a smile on yer face and no 'Crystal Sun' happened. Black, Ah'm so sorry!"

Big Red threw himself at Black's hooves, weeping loudly.

"You're wrong, Red." Black lowered his head down to Red's level. "It was my choice to commit the crimes I committed. Whether you talked to me or not that day wouldn't had changed that."

"Yes it would!" Big Red sniffed. "If Ah only let ya know Ah was there fer you..."

"I would've still murdered all those innocent ponies." Black said solemnly. "Everything happens for a reason. It's just how the world works."

"But Ah loved ya, Black... me and White both did." Big Red declared.

"And I loved you both too." Black smiled sadly. "But if you ever are going to forgive yourself for what happened, you have to let both of us go."

"...Both of you?" Big Red frowned.

"Eclipse deserves the chance to be with his father." Black declared. "If you take that away from him, and he finds out, he would never forgive you…who would be the better father then?"

"But Eclipse's father, he hurts-" Big Red started.

"I know." Black nodded. "But you have to let Eclipse decide for himself if he wants to spend the rest of his life with his own blood or you. If he doesn't choose you, you have to accept it and move on with your life. If not, then all is good."

"...Ya said both... who's the other?" Big Red asked.

"...Me." Black declared. "You have to just let me go and move on with your life."

"Black, Ah..." Big Red gaped.

"I'm only here right now because of you." Black pointed. "Your guilt over me is keeping me here. But you shouldn't feel guilty at all."

"Ah should." Big Red countered. "If'n Ah'd just tried a little harder..."

"Nothing would've changed." Black declared. "I'd already chosen my path by then. Nothing you or anypony else could've done would have steered me away. So quit beating yourself up. Ya gotta let go, buddy."

"Aw, Black..." Big Red sniffed, tearing up. "Why'd ya have ta pick now ta start makin' sense?"

"Speakin' of sense... it would do you wonders to talk things over with Marshall." Black advised.

"Marshall?" Big Red frowned. "...He hates me. I doubt he will ever want to talk to me again..."

"Sometimes, you gotta give a pony what he needs, not what he wants." Black declared. "You two have been friends for years. You were friends with him before me and White, in fact. You shouldn't let that slip away."

"Ah don't know..." Big Red frowned. "Some things can be jest too damaged ta patch up, no matter how much ya may want to..."

"You just do what you think is right." Black smiled. "I'm sure it'll all work out."

"Thanks, Black." Big Red nodded, openly weeping. "Despite everythin'... despite Saddle Arabia... and the Crystal Sun... you were truly a good friend. Ah'll always remember the good times we had together, but you're right... Ah have to let you go..."

"Yes... it has to be this way." Black nodded, a bit of wetness coming from his sole eye.

"But that doesn't change one thing." Big Red sniffed, tears streaming down his face. "...Ah love ya, brother... and Ah'm sure gonna miss ya..." It took all of Big Red's will to say the next words, "Goodbye... Black."

Black remained silent, before giving a sad smile.

"I love you too... Goodbye, Big Red..." Black whispered, a tear falling from his face.

A strong wind blew by, blowing the leaves off of the old cherry tree, and as the cherry-blossoms blew by, Black faded away into nothingness...

Big Red then broke down, crying harder than ever, leaning against the tree he and Black had planted.

He wasn't sure how long he spent crying, but it was a long while before he ran out of tears to cry. Wiping his eyes, the downtrodden stallion returned to the homestead, dreading the next thing he had to do…

He opened the message book, and started writing.

"Ah've made up mah mind..." He wrote. "Have 'im down here by tomorrow."

After closing the book, Big Red went upstairs, the boys hanging out in their room.

"Fellas, Ah've got sumthin' important ta tell ya." He declared.

"What is it, Big Red?" Globe asked.

"Well, it's like this." Big Red sighed. "Not long after ya came here, Ah called in a favor to have somepony find yer Pa."

"You did?" Huckleberry gaped.

"Yep." Big Red nodded. "Ah jest got word that yer pa's been found, an' he'll be on his way here shortly."

"No way..." Eclipse gasped. "You... found Pa?"

"Yep." Big Red said solemnly.

"Well, that's... good, I guess." Huckleberry said flatly, holding his Stetson in his hooves.

"Pa... after all this time..." Globe muttered.

"Why didn't you tell us you were looking for him?" Eclipse asked.

"Ah didn't wanna get yer hopes up." Big Red shrugged. "Well? Ain'tcha happy ta be seein' yer pa again?"

"Yeah, I guess..." Eclipse shrugged.

"I was just starting to like it here..." Huckleberry frowned.

"It'll be weird, having to go back to the old house." Globe admitted.

"Ah know." Big Red sighed. "But it's fer the best. Ya belong with yer pa."

"Yeah, maybe..." Eclipse declared, not convinced.

"Ah know it's a lot ta take in." Big Red said supportively. "Y'all jest think on it fer a while."

After leaving the boys' room, Big Red bumped into Cherry, who had been listening outside.

"I though we'd agreed to adopt them." Cherry frowned. "Why are you bringing their father here?"

"Because they belong with him." Big Red admitted. "Those kids need ta be with their real pa. An' besides, an old friend told me it was the right thing to do."

"I hope so, Red..." Cherry sighed. "I really do..."

Elsewhere, Gregory, a tawny feathered, average sized griffin, read the message, and nodded firmly.

Closing the notebook, he walked to another griffon who was drinking at a bar. The other griffin had reddish-brown feathers, and numerous scars. He was facing away from Gregory.

"Excuse me, sir..." Gregory asked.

"Buzz off." The other griffin spat, "I'm drinking here."

"Sorry for botherin' you, but... do you have a son by the name of Eclipse? White fur, black-feathered, blue eyes?" Gregory inquired.

"What if I do?" The griffin asked. "What's it to you?"

"Well, Eclipse and your other two sons have been taken in by a local farmer in Dodge Junction." Gregory declared.

"You don't say..." The griffin muttered, with little interest. "I know the place. I was there a while back."

"Yes, well..." Gregory said nervously. "It seems your boys got into some trouble with the local lawstallion, and the farmer, one Big Red, offered to have them released into his custody."

"Is that a fact?" The griffin mused.

"Yes." Gregory declared. "But he didn't want them to be separated from their father, so I was sent to find you."

"Well, mission accomplished." The griffin downed his drink. "Those kids must really miss their pa. Guess I'd better get to Dodge Junction..."

"I'd be happy to escort you there, Mr... what's your name?" Gregory asked.

The griffin to face him, showing his cracked beak, caused long ago by a certain red stallion.

"The name is Lunard." He gave a snide smirk.

Many years ago...

The teen Big Red, White and Black, and Marshall were having a drink under the stars. Cherry was unable to join them, having gone to visit her grandma.

"Nice wine, Red." Black gagged. "Couldn't make it a little more watery?"

"Hey, gimme a break." Big Red pouted. "Ah've only jest started makin' this stuff!"

"I'd put in a little more practice, if I were you." White said as pleasantly as he could."

"It's better than nothing." Marshall declared.

"Exactly." Big Red grinned.

As they sat under the stars, a thought came to White.

"Hey guys, what's your big goal in life?" He asked.

"Goal?" Black frowned.

"You know." White smiled. "What do you want to do most with your life? Me, I wanna be a hero, like pa. Medals of honor, respect of my peers and country, giving back to the ponies."

"Well, I just wanna help ponies." Marshall shrugged, "Protect and serve, that is the sheriff's motto."

"What about you, Red?" White turned to Big Red.

"Oh, nothing much. Maybe a farm a' mah own, with a big cherry orchard, a beautiful and sexy mare for a wife, and a whole passel a' kids, livin' the dream." Big Red beamed. "What could be better?"

"How about you, Black?" Marshall asked.

"Yeah." Big Red added. "What's yer big goal in life?"

"I don't really know to be honest." Black admitted. "All I know is that I want to make Equestria a better place... it's kinda lame, right?"

"Not really." White smiled. "I'd say that's a pretty noble goal, right there."

"Thanks, bro." Black grinned. "Your's ain't too bad either. And Marshall, I know you'll help a lot of ponies. And Red? Well, anypony'd want what you're looking for."

"Thanks, Black." Big Red beamed.

"We all have meaningful goals." White declared. "If we're lucky, we'll all accomplish them."

"Hey, when did this turn into a group hug?" Marshall chuckled. "Knock off the speeches, White."

"Hey, I do the snarky remarks around here!" Black grinned.

"Guess it's the wine." Marshall joked. "It's pretty strong stuff."

"I know." White joined in. "I can barely stand."

"Haw-haw, very funny." Big Red snorted.

White raised his glass.

"To us, and our goals." He smiled.

"Hear, hear!" The other knocked their glasses against his.

"Now, who's fer another bottle?" Big Red smirked. "Extra watery!"

The others groaned at his attempt at humor.