• Published 27th Dec 2014
  • 3,528 Views, 217 Comments

Never Dream - Ximer



How far would you chase a dream? Even if that dream wasn't your own? Sequel to Never Wish.

  • ...
13
 217
 3,528

When Life Gives You Lemons

Las Pegasus, I was hoping I would never have to see this place again after what I had endured here. It was foolish thinking, life leads us to where we swear we'd never go sometimes. Besides, my occupation dictated what streets I would walk, and when.

I sat alone in the preparation room, staring at the mask Track Pace had given me. They had already come and gone, wishing me luck before what would easily be one of the most important races of my life, simply because of a certain stallion's presence on the track.

I hoped that, win or lose, this would put an end to whatever conflict there was between us. I knew that was a childish thought though, that sort of thing only happened in Disney movies. Thunderlane would probably hate me for the rest of our natural lives, which wasn't fair to Rumble or Scootaloo since the two seemed to have gotten along okay.

The sound of the heavy, metal door swinging open derailed my train of thought. I instinctively turned to see the stallion that had been on my mind the entire trip to this distasteful memory of a city, Thunderlane.

"So, here we are." Thunderlane said as the door slowly closed.

I didn't reply, bracing myself for whatever verbal lashing or stupid stunt he might have up his metaphorical sleeve. Surely he wouldn't try and make things go south before the race even started.

"I'm impressed Lean Streak didn't show up, didn't have the balls to watch his pupil fail?" Thunderlane asked.

"He's bedridden, Cloudchaser's here in his place." I replied.

"Yeah, I'd be sick too if I knew somepony I wasted my life on was about to lose to a real pegasus, and be reminded that he's only playing pretend." Thunderlane gritted his teeth as he mumbled the last part of his sentence.

"You need to let this go, Thunderlane. It's eating you for the inside out, don't you see that?" I asked.

"Nothing's eating me, it's called the pride of being a pegasus! A member of the warrior tribe of Equestria, with a proud heritage a fake like you runs through the mud!" Thunderlane snapped

"This isn't about me being a human before Discord's magic messed up. This is about Cloudchaser leaving you, I'm sorry things worked out the way they did, and you're right, I wasn't born a pegasus, but that doesn't change the fact that Twilight had to reverse the spell to save my life. Like it or not, I am one now." I stood my ground.

"No, you're a fake, and I'm going to show these ponies that. I don't know what she sees in you, but I'm going to break a little piece of it today. No matter what she's told you, no matter how intimate your pillow talk is, a pegasi mare is always looking for the strongest, and the fastest stallion." Thunderlane said.

"You're going to have to beat me then." no sooner had I spoke those words, a charcoal colored hoof slammed into a nearby locker, caving it in with a loud bang.

Thunderland slowly removed his hoof from the small crater he had caused and left the room. I would have been surprised, had I not only a day ago briefly relocated my couch from halfway across the living room. Still, the display was unsettling, and I now had a physical reference of how frustrated Thunderlane was at me.

I get the sinking feeling things are about to get bumpy. I thought to myself.

I waited a while longer before navigating the familiar tunnel towards the track. My mind danced back to my first race against Whitefire. The setting was similar, the atmosphere was just as tense, and were it not for Sky Mark and I being on such poor terms, I might go so far as to call this a trip down memory lane. It was shaping up to be a disaster waiting to happen.

Something was wrong, I could feel it as the bright sun light graced my eyes, while the roar of the crowd filled my ears. Mike and Ike came to greet me, it had become a kind of pre-race tradition. I was perhaps more thankful for their company now than I had ever been at any previous race.

"She's up there." Mike said, pointing towards the seats.

I followed his hoof with my eyes to spot Cloudchcaser sitting beside Track Pace. She waved to me when she noticed I had found her, smiling brightly. Her presence eased my spirit, if only a little.

"This is the one you've been waiting for, go show that prick who's boss," Ike said, doing his best to fill Lean Streak's shoes. "And try not to get yourself hurt doing something stupid."

"No promises." I mumbled as Thunderlane took his place on the inside lane.

I was set to be in the middle lane, the positioning didn't bother me, nearly as bad as the glare I felt coming from my self-appointed rival. As the seconds ticked down, the noise from the crowd continued to grow, the two hopefuls from Ponyville were finally on the same track, it was worth making noise over for the spectators.

A bang signaled the start of the race, each competitor present taking off with wings spread wide. As I had expected, Thunderlane surged ahead with reckless abandon, he was out to make a point today.

Something in me stirred as I thought about what he had said, I knew Cloudchaser loved me, but perhaps beating him was the only way to put an end to this. We were just beginning to enter the first turn, and Thunderlane was steadily putting distance between the two of us.

I let my ego slip into the pilot seat, it was time to catch up. I powered past the others as we exited the first turn, reclaiming the distance that had been lost to Thunderlane.

By the time I had entered the second turn I was fairly close to the stallion, and continuing to gain on him. I did my best to monitor my condition, not wanting to push things too far, but it was hard to focus now, as the natural instinct to win slowly took over my rational thought.

Thunderlane wordlessly glanced at me as I now flew beside him. He grinned, increasing his speed well beyond what I would normally put forth. Despite his bold actions, he seemed unfazed by the strain he was putting his body through.

I was being forced to do the same, unlike Thunderlane however; I felt a burning sensation begin to creep through my lungs and wing muscles as we neared the third turn. It was dull at first, but as we entered the third turn I could feel my body protesting against this duel with the former Wonderbolt Cadet.

"Nothing but a fake." Thunderlane mocked before speeding past me.

It took me a minute to process that Thunderlane wasn't moving faster, I was moving slower! I mentally cursed my own recklessness as the pain in my wings began to reach critical levels. I was forced to slow down, forced to watch as the bitter stallion sped into the fourth turn.

As I struggled to keep up, I was passed by another racer, dropping me into third place. My wings and lungs were begging me to stop and take a break, but doing so would cost me what little credit I might earn for this race.

I forced my wings to continue towards the finish line as I exited the fourth turn. Thunderlane had exhausted himself to the point that his lead had diminished considerably, but not enough to cost him first place.

I crossed the finish line, humiliated as my wings gave out from the stress I had just put them through. I had never pushed myself that hard before, and it was a blessing I hadn't passed out on the track as a dizzy sensation washed over me.

"Daniel!" I heard Cloudchaser's voice amidst the chaos.

I felt a brief tickle across my muzzle as my mask was forcefully ripped off, and tossed to the ground. The sun was suddenly a painful sight, and the noise of the crowd was like a migraine from hell.

"Daniel, you've got to spread your wings out, you're over heated." Mike said, helping me over to a shaded area on the track.

My brain still functioned enough to register the command and I slowly raised my sore wings. The stray breeze that caressed my feathers was soothing, and I could tell an immediate difference in how the heat left my body a bit faster with my wings stretched out. Still, I was tired...I wanted to sleep.

"Shit, hey, you can't take a nap just yet!" Ike exclaimed, a sharp pain coursed through my cheek.

"I think you over did it." Mike commented.

"Who's...the jackass...that just slapped me?" I mumbled.

"He's fine," Ike said. "You just can't fall asleep yet, okay? You big idiot."

---

Cloudchaser watched helplessly as her coltfriend was tended to by his team. They seemed to know what they were doing, she had never seen a pegasus suffer from something like this. She had heard stories, and seen photos about the condition of course, but to see it actually happen to the one she loved was unsettling.

"Loser shouldn't have tried to keep up with me." she heard Thunderlane snort.

Cloudchaser snarled at the stallion. She was tempted to follow Rainbow Dash's example, but that wouldn't be wise in a public setting like this.

"Now do you see?" Thunderlane asked, stopping in front of the exhausted racer. "You never were, and never will be one of us. In what world could you have ever beaten me?"

The stallion walked away with his head held high in victory, stepping on the mask that had been tossed to the ground. Whether it was intentional or not, it had been ripped down the middle, making it useless in its current condition.

Cloudchaser slowly scooped up the mask in her hooves with tender care. It was now dirty and ragged, unfit to be worn or even considered a part of her coltfriend's racing outfit. Still, she opted to hold on to it.

"Cloudchaser, he's going to be okay." Ike said as Track Pace joined them at Daniel's side.

The mare forced a smile across her muzzle. She knew that he might be physically, but when things had settled down, he would need to be built back up. He had fallen, now she had to show him that somepony was there to catch him.

---

"Mom...it's in there again." I said, groggily stumbling into my parent's room.

"Mmhp, what is babe?" a tired voice asked from the darkness.

"The shadow man..." I whimpered as the thunder flashed outside the window, making me jump.

"You know that he's not real, Daniel. He's just a shadow that can't get you." my mother tried to rationalize with me.

I remained still, save for the nervous sway of my arms. I looked behind me occasionally, making sure that I wasn't being stalked or followed by my cloaked foe.

"Come on," my mother sighed, climbing out of bed. "Let's get you back to sleep."

She grabbed a book that was a bit thicker than the ones I was used to reading, but I paid it little mind, a book was a book after all. I took her offered hand, following her back to my room boldly, now that I had a hero with me, I had heard my dad call her super woman once.

"The shadow man won't get you now. I promise..." my mom said, stroking my head soothingly.

She sat on the edge of my bed, opening the book that appeared to have only words in it. I found this odd, and looked up at her inquisitively. She smiled back at me with tired eyes.

"To help you sleep," She offered in simple explanation, opening the book at a book mark that had been snugly wedged between two pages. "Do you give the horse its strength, or clothe its neck with a flowing mane? Do you make it leap like a locust, striking terror with its proud snorting? It paws fiercely, rejoicing in its strength, and charges into the fray. It laughs at fear, afraid of nothing. It does not shy away from the sword. The quiver rattles against its side, along with the flashing spear and lance. In frenzied excitement it eats up the ground, it cannot stand still when the trumpet sounds."

My eyes struggled to stay open out of some small fear my attacker would return, but I was unable to win this battle. I slowly drifted off, the sound of my mother's voice steadily growing softer, and distorted.

---

The steady clacking of train tracks beneath me woke me from my dazed slumber. I had fallen asleep on the bottom bunk of one of the train’s bed cars. The day had passed by as a blur; after I had made it to my room I remembered standing in the shower with the cold water on full blast.

I occasionally woke up to Cloudchaser looking down at me, slowly petting my tired form. A small smile was all I had to offer her then, I had never felt that drained before which made me wonder if Thunderlane was right, if this was my limit. Perhaps I had already touched the ceiling, and there was nowhere else for me to go now.

“You’re awake.” Cloudchaser whispered, she had been resting above me, watching me with those beautiful light rose eyes of hers.

“Yeah, how long have you been watching me sleep?” I asked as she climbed down from the top bunk to join me in mine.

Cloudchaser shrugged before snuggling close to me. “I just needed to know you were okay. I was really worried about you.”

“Some strong protector I am huh? I barely finished a race…” I mumbled.

“Don’t start with that,” Cloudchaser scolded. “Thunderlane was trained by the best fliers in Equestria. You have nothing to be ashamed of.”

“I threw everything I had been taught to the side over something stupid. I sank down to his level, and for that I am ashamed. I lost, and that’s all there is to it.” I sighed.

“You lost a race, it was important to you I get that, but you need to see the bigger picture,” Cloudchaser said, pressing her muzzle against mine affectionately. “You’re still alive, you have friends that love and care about you enough to stand by you even when you do lose, and you have me. So don’t you dare sell yourself short, I won’t let you.”

I didn’t know what to say, a part of me wanted to stay at the pity party I had started for myself, but Cloudchaser wasn’t having any of it. It almost made me laugh at how easily she debunked Thunderlane’s stupid theory.

“Don’t get lost in some stupid conflict or race. I need you.” Cloudchaser brought her head to rest on my chest, her ear shifting to listen to my heartbeat.

Those three little words sparked something in me. It was like a chain reaction that I could neither explain nor ignore. It steadily grew in strength, drowning out all other thoughts and emotions, directing my attention back to the mare beside me. I had to say something, do something. It wasn't a question of if I wanted to now, something was commanding me to.

“Cloudchaser…” I said, earning the mare’s attention. Her eyes reflecting the beautiful moon’s glow from the window beside us. “Will you marry me?”

It was, in my mind, the worst possible way to ask a female of any species to spend the rest of their life with you. We were in a barely comfortable bunk, on a dark train ride home, after I had been beaten and humiliated by the stallion that had a vendetta against me and-

“Yes.”

-she said yes. The smile that crossed her muzzle was joined by a few tears of joy. She hugged my sore body, wrapping her wings around me as we shared our first kiss as an engaged couple.

“I was beginning to think you’d never ask.” Cloudchaser giggled.

“Truth is, I didn’t really know how to ask.” I grinned sheepishly.

“Our lives are already tied together. This is just letting the world know about it,” Cloudchaser said, resting against me. “And I couldn’t be happier. You’re a good stallion, and today doesn’t change that.”

“Would you have said yes if I was human?” I asked, promptly receiving a boop to the nose.

“I love you for your heart, Daniel. It’s what bound us together, you being a human wouldn’t change that,” Cloudchaser replied, resting her head on the pillow next to mine. “Although, if you were a human I would request ear scratches and back rubs twice a day, for two hours.”

“If I ever get my hands back I’ll make it happen.” I chuckled, kissing her on the nose.

---

Cloudchaser hummed happily to herself, the train ride home had been bitter sweet. The thought of marrying the stallion she had fallen in love with was exciting, but he had a lot on his mind. He was still struggling with the whole concept of sharing his problems so they wouldn’t weigh him down. She had her methods of changing that though, with or without his consent.

Knowing her collf- her fiancé, he wouldn’t ask for help with the Scootaloo predicament. So if he wouldn't, she would. He had wanted to check on Lean Streak, who was still in the hospital, giving her the perfect chance to set her plan into motion.

Cloudchaser could hardly wait to tell Flitter, the excitement rising up within her, but she had something to take care of first. She pushed open the door to the Carousel Boutique, hoping Rarity had the time to help her.

“Hello, and welcome to the Carousel Boutique,” Rarity greeted in her usual manner. “Oh, Cloudchaser, it’s been a while since I’ve seen you in here.”

“I know, I came for some help I think only you can provide.” Cloudchaser said, pulling out the torn mask that belonged to Daniel.

“Oh my word! Is he okay!?” Rarity squeaked, examining the mask up close.

“He’s fine, he got a little over heated and gave us all a scare, but nothing too serious.” Cloudchaser replied.

“Well no wonder, the material of this mask is too thick to provide any sort of air flow. I’m assuming the vest is made of the same material since they were made to match.” Rarity turned the torn fabric around with her magic.

“So, it was made wrong?” Cloudchaser asked.

“I wouldn’t say wrong, more like in a hurry. I’d say it’s time to retire this old thing.” Rarity replied, levitating the tattered mask onto the counter.

“I know I don’t come in often, but I was hoping you could manage a suit and dress with that racing uniform.” Cloudchaser tapped her fore hooves together as she spoke.

“Trust me darling, I’ve had larger orders. What’s the occasion, hmm? Is your special somepony taking you somewhere for a romantic getaway?” Rarity asked.

“It’s for a wedding actually.” Cloudchaser had to fight back her smile as she tried to keep up her casual attitude.

“Ah a weddi-wait,” Rarity stopped, the gears in her head grinding to a halt as she processed what the mare could possibly be implying. “Do you mean…”

Cloudchaser nodded, her smile a clear indication that this wasn’t a poor practical joke. Rarity pulled the pegasus into a tight hug with a giddy squeal. The bride to be quickly came to the assumption that this would be everypony’s reaction for a while.

“How did he ask? Oh I bet it was romantic!” Rarity swooned.

“He was a mess, tired, sore from the race, and was a little upset he lost,” Cloudchaser giggled, enjoying Rarity’s shocked reaction as she described how he had asked her. “I loved him all the same, and said yes.”

“Does he want to keep this a secret as well?” Rarity asked, wiping away what Cloudchaser thought was the beginnings of a tear.

“Not up to him if he wanted to anyways,” Cloudchaser grinned. “Not like the adoption at least.”

“Speaking of, how is that going thus far?” Rarity relinquished Cloudchaser from her hug.

“The inspector is coming back, she complained about his job being a problem. He also needs character references so something must have happened.” Cloudchaser frowned. “This I am asking you to keep private, for Scootaloo’s sake.”

“I’ve kept quiet about it so far, I don’t plan on telling Scootaloo anytime soon.” Rarity winked.

“Thanks Rarity, sorry I can’t stay and talk longer, but I need to stop by my sister’s.” Cloudchaser said.

“I understand dear, let me know if you need planning something.” Rarity bid Cloudchaser goodbye, sighing when she was sure she as gone.

This was troubling news about Scootaloo, why would they request something so rash as an example of Daniel’s character? He could be a stubborn one when he wanted to be. Rarity smiled as she looked at the mask, he was a good stallion, but even good stallions needed help every now and then.

“I did promise not to tell Scootaloo…I never mentioned a few other ponies that might be interested.” Rarity giggled.

---

“You screwed up.” Lean Streak grumbled.

“Yes sir.” I replied.

“I mean you really screwed up. After everything you accomplished, everything I taught you, it gets thrown away for a match race against a stallion you could have leveled.” Lean Streak spoke unsettlingly calmly.

“You’re right, I screwed up.” I rolled my eyes.

“Also, what in the name of Equestria is the idea behind that?” Lean Streak pointed to a balloon flower in a balloon pot, courtesy of Pinkie Pie.

“I assumed you didn’t want real flowers so…” I started to smile.

“I said no balloons!” Lean Streak coughed out the last word.

“I was under the impression you only meant balloons that had “Get Well Soon” on them.” I shrugged.

“Ugh, you’re lucky I’m in bed…” Lean Streak mumbled.

“How long do they plan on keeping you here?” I asked.

“A month, maybe two. You’re not worried about getting soft, are you?” Lean Streak asked.

“No, I’m worried about you rotting away in here. Being in a place like this can mess with your mind sometimes.” I chuckled.

“As long as you idiots keep on stopping by to make sure I haven’t hung myself with this cord out of boredom I think I’ll manage,” Lean Streak gestured to the wire leading up to the heart monitor. "Something else is bugging you."

The stallion knew me too well; that or I was like an open book when it came to reading my emotions and when something was troubling me. Perhaps I could learn a thing or two from that inspector.

"It's nothing." I lied.

"Don't give me that bullshit, out with it." Lean Streak grunted.

"Something Thunderlane said, about me being fake. I mean, in a way I guess he's right...I never thought I'd agree with him, but after yesterday...I think this is my limit, this is as far as I can go." I said, unable to look Lean Streak in the eyes as I spoke.

"Come here." Lean Streak gestured with his hoof.

I did as he requested, only to feel a sharp pain coming from my left cheek as my head involuntarily turned sideways. Lean Streak's slap left me with mixed feelings of confusion and anger after the dirty trick.

"I didn't pour my time and energy into you just to watch you give up. Don't you ever listen to that prick again, do you understand me!?" Lean Streak struggled to shout.

"Yes sir..." I replied quietly, rubbing my sore cheek.

"Your limit is what you make it, not what some arrogant little has been cadet thinks it should be. I see a pegasus that's fallen down, the only one that can pick him back up is himself...so what's it going to be?" Lean Streak pointed at me.

I had always heard the term having some sense slapped into you used in sentences. I had never expected to actually experience it myself. "How am I supposed to beat him though?"

"Believe in yourself for starters, I'd love nothing more than to see you at the Crystal Empire, in the championship race. You only need one more race and you're there." Lean Streak replied.

"Why does it matter so much if I go or not?" I snorted, a bit frustrated with the same old pep talk.

"Because it's not just about you any more," Lean Streak steadied his voice. "You're doing what I never had the chance to finish. You represent this community that has never had a face in this field before, that means something to these ponies. You may not save the day, or stop some army invasion, but you're still a hero."

"Pfft, by doing what, going really fast in a circle?" I rolled my eyes.

"Yes, by going really fast in a circle," Lean Streak deadpanned. "I've seen the way Star Sprint watches you, wishing he could be like you. I've heard others talk about you too, you touch more lives than you think. If you're serious about this adoption thing with that filly you've talked about, then there's something you need to know."

My ears perked up, attentive and waiting for Lean Streak to continue. It was odd for him to pick the adoption predicament as a topic, which made me wonder where he was going with this.

"If you're going to be a dad, then you need to know that you're always supposed to be your foal's hero. They look up to you, and watch everything you do, living life by the example you leave behind," Lean Streak impressed me with this rare display of his inner thoughts and emotions. "What's more, I'm seeing my dream come to life through you."

"Sometimes dreams turn out to be pointless." I shrugged.

"The only dream that's pointless, is the one you never chase. You know that better than most," Lean Streak said. "I've given you all the pieces of the puzzle I can, Daniel. It's up to you to put them together, you've come too far to buy that garbage that you're at your limit."

"Sick in a bed, and you're still taking me to school." I chuckled.

"It comes with experience." Lean Streak smirked.

"What comes from experience?" I heard Cloudchaser ask.

"Oh, hey babe. Lean Streak's still trying to keep me in line, even from a hospital bed." I replied.

"You're not going to get all cozy with your marefirned are you?" Lean Streak asked.

"You haven't told him yet?" Cloudchaser cocked an eyebrow at me.

"Told me what?" Lean Streak's eyes bounced between the two of us in confusion.

"Lean Streak, Cloudchaser is my fiancé now, we're getting married." I grinned as Cloudchaser leaned against me affectionately.

"Oye," Lean Streak rubbed the sides of his head in jest with a smile. "You're killin' me colt, killin' me...heh, congratulations."

---

Scootaloo's eyes narrowed in concentration as she made a sharp turn around a cart. Star Sprint followed suit, not wanting to lose to the filly again. Button Mash and Shady Daze hadn't let him live it down since the last time he lost to her.

Scootaloo knew the streets better than him however; which gave her the upper hoof. Her turns, twist, and tricks were executed with much more confidence in where she would land than her unicorn counterpart.

"Keep up slow poke!" Scootaloo teased.

Star Sprint's horn turned a pale blue, his wheels doing the same. Under the influence of his magic, the wheels began to move much faster than they normally would relying on physical strength alone.

With his new found speed, the colt managed to ride side by side with Scootaloo. Star Sprint grinned, quite pleased with himself and was about to try and get her attention when he found himself flat on his back, dislodged from his scooter by a plank that was sticking out from a cart.

Start Sprint shook the incident off, thanks to his helmet the only thing hurting was his pride. His Scooter seemed to be fine as well, resting on its side as the wheels came to a slow stop.

"Are you okay?" Scootaloo asked, having turned around to check on the colt. "That looked pretty bad."

"Yeah, I'm fine..." Star Sprint pouted.

"Good, you're like, the only other pony I know that likes these in Ponyville. I'd hate for something to happen to you." Scootaloo said.

As Scootaloo helped Star Sprint back to his hooves, something caught her eye. Somepony, would be more accurate.

Diamond Tiara was with Silver Spoon, the two seemed to be arguing over something. Curious, Scootaloo motioned for Star Spring to follow her, not exactly wanting to confront the two alone, just in case this was some ruse. Diamond Tiara's attitude might have changed a little, but that still didn't excuse all of the past incidents and insults.

"I just don't see why you would even consider her as your partner, we've done everything together!" Silver Spoon whined.

"This doesn't mean I'm ditching you as a friend Silver Spoon." Diamond Tiara rolled her eyes.

"Hey, um..." Scootaloo gained the two arguing fillies' attention, though not quite sure how to proceed from step one. "Is everything okay?"

"You're the problem, friend snatcher!" Silver Spoon fumed.

"Friend snatcher?" Star Sprint's tilted his head as he looked to Scootaloo for answers, receiving only a shrug in response.

"I'm not a friend snatcher." Scootaloo defended.

"Are so! I don’t know why Diamond Tiara would want to hang out with you to begin with!" Silver Spoon exclaimed.

"Wait...what?" Scootaloo took two steps back. She never thought she would hear that come from the preppy pony's mouth.

Diamond Tiara felt trapped, she could either tell Silver Spoon now about Scootaloo's potential father and ruin whatever plan that weird stallion had, side with Silver Spoon, or there was always option c, make a tactical retreat.

"I...Ihavetogobye!" Diamond Tiara bolted from the group, she could move surprisingly fast when she needed to.

Scootaloo sighed, she didn't want to chase her down. If she was being honest with herself, she couldn't care less what all of this was about. Still, Rainbow Dash had taught her to be loyal to her friends and help others, and Daniel had tried to help her make peace with the bully. Maybe showing a little kindness this time around would do the trick.

"I'll see you later Star Sprint, I have to go check on something." Scootaloo said before speeding off on her scooter.

---

Diamond Tiara felt a tear of frustration escape her left eye. Silver Spoon was over reacting again, she tended to do that, but this was worse than she ever had before. It was over something stupid too.

She opened the door to her house, leaning against it out of breath once she was inside, letting her body weight shut it. Only a few seconds passed before she heard somepony knocking on the other side. She scrunched her muzzle up in confusion; Silver Spoon couldn't run as fast as she could, and her father wasn't expecting anypony today.

Diamond Tiara straightened her tiara a bit before opening the door to see...Scootaloo. She was genuinely surprised to see the filly.

"Hey Diamond, is everything okay?" Scootaloo asked.

"Um...." Diamond Tiara didn't know how to respond to her question at first. "I'm fine, thanks."

"Okay, well, Silver Spoon seemed pretty mad, so...." Scootaloo scuffed a hoof against one of the stones forming the path to Diamond Tiara's front door.

"Yeah....did you....want something?" Diamond Tiara asked, a bit of her old self resurfacing as she was unsure how to ask the question without coming off as cold.

"Uh, no. I just wanted to make sure you were okay." Scootaloo held back the desire to walk away without responding.

Diamond Tiara had difficulty processing the fact that someone other than her father genuinely cared about what happened to her. She felt guilty now, a feeling that didn't come easy for the filly to handle either.

She had never really wanted to be friends, just keep Scootaloo at a distance. Now that her only friend was mad at her, the idea of having a new one seemed pretty tempting to the earth filly. Even if Scootaloo was a blank flank, she at least had friends that liked her for who she was. That was something she could at least try to have.

"Well," Diamond Tiara rubbed the back of her head nervously. "Did you want to come in?"

"Uh...s-sure." Scootaloo stepped inside once Diamond Tiara had opened the door wider.

Author's Note:

Ah Lean Streak, how you've grown on me. The next chapter should be up soon, due to some changes I'm having to post them later for a while, but hey what can you do when life kind of screws with you, right? :twilightsheepish:

Also, I have a pretty solid idea what the next part will be now, working on a few last details...I may throw something fun in the next chapter. :trollestia:

As always, thank you reading, and especially those that leave comments, the good and the suggestions/criticism.