• Published 27th Dec 2014
  • 3,529 Views, 217 Comments

Never Dream - Ximer



How far would you chase a dream? Even if that dream wasn't your own? Sequel to Never Wish.

  • ...
13
 217
 3,529

Happy Birthday

I smiled as I felt the warm rays of the sun beaming down on me through my window. As the birds started their morning ritual of chirping outside my abode, I realized how much I had truly missed this place. My friends, family, and of course, her.

Cloudchaser lay fast asleep beside me. I knew in the deepest recesses of my heart that this was not how relationships normally worked, my human side drawing comparisons again. I felt like it should be, and could be. You were supposed to draw closer to one another as the days passed by, perhaps not at this speed, however.

Someone's sappy this morning. a voice in my head yawned.

Shut up brain. I replied.

Cloudchaser's eyes slowly opened with a cute yawn, she stole my heart without even knowing it sometimes. Her mane was a mess from sleeping on it, and one eye was open slightly more than the other, giving her the cartoonish appearance of a drunk. She was the most beautiful creature in the world to me.

"Good morning beautiful." I said, receiving a playful boop to the nose.

"Good morning to you too, Casanova." Cloudchaser scooted closer to me, sighing contently as I held her.

Nothing happened last night, other than some light cuddling, but that was fine. Cloudchaser had been adamant about spending the night with me on my first night back, and for good reason. Her scent had faded once more after she returned to Ponyville. Fortunately her 'method' of getting it back was one I could get behind...literally.

We talked most of the night until we fell asleep, mostly about our families. I highly doubted my parents ever thought I'd end up in an alien world, dominated by colorful ponies, become one, and fall in love with one.

Cloudchaser rarely let her guard down in public, always trying to maintain her image. A lot of pegasi seemed to have that complex, but I enjoyed seeing the softer side of her personality. She was the complete opposite of her sister, but she was still a mare at heart.

"I like this." she said, pulling me from my thoughts.

"Yeah..." I smiled, draping a wing over her.

"Are you ready for today?" Cloudchaser asked

"What happens today...I've forgot since yesterday." I confessed.

"You'd forget your own head if it wasn't attached to you huh? It's your birthday party, dummy. At least, that's what Pinkie Pie said." Cloudchaser replied.

"Oh yeah, I did tell her to wait until I got back." I chuckled.

"So now that you remember," Cloudchaser grinned, rolling me onto my back with an impressive display of strength. "Do you want to get one of your presents early?"

I start to nod yes, only to get a face full of Cloudchaser's bangs as she kissed me. They tickled slightly, making the kiss a bit awkward as I tried not to laugh. She pulled away, looking down at me expectantly with a toss of her head, throwing her pesky, untamed morning mane out of the way.

"It's bad luck to open gifts early where I come from," I fibbed, which caused the mare to pout. "But I guess that rule doesn't apply anymore."

"You're mean." Cloudchaser whispered as she came to rest atop me, drawing me into another kiss.

I love Equestria. I thought to myself as I wrapped my forelegs around her.

"You guys have got to let me get the camera before you start the good stuff. I want to catch it all, from start to climax." I heard Isabella say.

Both our eyes shot open in unison, our pupils little more than pin pricks upon hearing her voice. We both slowly glanced over to my sister who was standing in the open doorway. I mentally slapped myself, having forgotten to close the door last night before bed.

"H-he-hey...Izzy..." Cloudchaser said hesitantly.

"Hey to you too Cloudchaser. Well, I'll be in the living room." Isabella chirped before leaving both of us, her work complete.

"Fucking cock block..." I mumbled.

"Hey, none of that," Cloudchaser scolded, after the initial shock of being walked in on was over. "This gives you something to look forward to after the party, okay?"

"Yes ma'am." I replied, earning a quick peck on the cheek.

---

"That's the last letter." I smiled, walking out of the post office.

"Do you really think they'll come?" Cloudchaser asked.

"I don't see why they wouldn't. Lean Streak's letter is a bit more...formal than the others." I replied.

"Well, it's almost my shift. Thanks for breakfast this morning," Cloudchaser said, stretching her wings a bit. "Try not to have too much fun without me."

i felt my smile grow as I watched her take off into the air. It was as if life had finally come to a conclusion as to what to do with me.

"So, has the lucky stallion told her about you know what?" asked Rarity.

"Told her about what?" I asked in return.

"Oh, you know, a little something involving a certain filly." the fashionista winked.

"Okay, who told you? And how many other ponies have you told?" I narrowed my eyes accusingly at the mare.

"Isabella is the one that told me, nopony else knows about it, I give you my word darling. I would never want to do anything to compromise something like this." Rarity seemed genuinely hurt by my accusation, understandably so.

"I'm sorry Rarity. I know I can't keep it a secret forever, but I'm scared about...the thing." I sighed.

"Well, the 'thing' is a big responsibility. I'd be worried if you weren't a tad bit nervous," Rarity motioned with her head for me to follow her. "Look on the bright side of things, you've got a job, a well-paying one I might add, and you've picked a very lovely mare to be your special somepony."

"Yeah, I guess you're right." I said, matching Rarity's pace.

"So, to my original question, how do you intend to tell her?" the marshmallow unicorn asked, batting her eyelashes.

"You ask that like I'm going to ask her to marry me within the week." I scoffed.

"Why wouldn't you?" Rarity's voice rose a bit in bewilderment.

"I'm not saying I wouldn't, but-wait...what do you mean by why wouldn't I marry her within the week?" I felt pretty confident I knew the answer already.

"I'm sorry dear, you've just been around us for so long, and now that you're an actual stallion...well, I assumed you knew. A bond is similar to marriage, asking a mare to marry you would be making things official on paper." Rarity explained.

"....I'm not opposed to this." I said.

"I didn’t think you would be; now Ponyville's waiting on you to make your move. So I guess in a way you have two questions that need addressing." Rarity giggled.

"Why does Ponyville care what happens in my personal life?" I grumbled.

"I know things might have started off on the wrong hoof, but everypony here has come to love you, and your sister is reaching that point as well. Do you honestly believe we wouldn't be delighted to know you were settling down with a family all your own?" Rarity wore a sincere smile as she placed a hoof on my shoulder.

“Guess I should stop by and have a chat with Tender Care then.” I said.

“Well, this is my stop. Don’t think too hard on the subject dear, just trust your instincts and you’ll be fine.” Rarity said before entering the store, presumably to purchase more material for her trade.

After watching her disappear into the shop I looked around to determine which part of town I had followed her to. I had been so caught up in the conversation, I had followed her blindly. As I scanned the area, a particular building brought a grin to my muzzle.

“Clever mare.” I mused, walking the brief distance to the orphanage.

The interior of the building wasn’t at all what I was expecting. It was rather neat, and well kept, devoid of any stereotypical wear and tear most stories from Earth portrayed them to have. I felt a bit guilty, having expected the worst of them.

“Can I help you?” a soft feminine voice asked, bringing my observations of the building’s interior to an end.

A mare earth pony rounded the corner. Her coat was a soft orange, with a braided brown mane and tail. I had seen her before, Tender Care. She had a heart of gold to do this type of job, and one had to admire her dedication to foals. She was soft spoken, but firm when she needed to be.

“Possibly, I was considering adopting Sc-a filly that resides here.” I caught myself, unsure of Scootaloo’s current whereabouts.

“Oh, I see. Did you have a particular one in mind? Most of them are out for school at the moment, but-“ Tender Care said.

“I was thinking about Scootaloo, actually.” I replied, relieved to know that she wouldn’t be back for a while, and a bit embarrassed that I had forgotten today was a school day.

“Scootaloo you say?" Tender Care seemed more surprised than I thought she would be. A small smile was slowly beginning to form on her muzzle.

“Yeah, I’ve been thinking about it for a while now. Different things have come up, but…I think I’m ready. I don’t know where to start though.” I replied.

“Oh, of course! I know she’ll be thrilled to hear about this!” Tender Care beamed, leading me to a room that t I assumed served as a makeshift office.

“I was actually hoping to keep it under wraps. I don’t want to get her hopes up if I can’t, and if I can it’d probably be the best surprise she’s ever had.” I said taking the seat the mare gestured to in front of her desk.

“I understand, I’m sorry if I seemed a bit over enthusiastic. I’m sure you’re aware Scootaloo has been with us for most of her life, yes?” Tender Care asked.

“Honestly, even though she’s the one I want to adopt, I feel like I know very little about her past.” I shifted in my seat slightly, not quite sure how the mare would take my ignorance.

“I see, well for starters she’s been here since her parent's accident. She was too young to remember what happened, and it’s probably for the best.” Tender Care’s tone shifted as she spoke, her eye fixated on me, gauging my reaction.

“Does Scootaloo know about any of this?” I asked hesitantly.

“Some, she didn’t come out unscathed either….” Tender Care’s voice fell as she looked at my wings.

I found it odd at first, but I made the connection to her words and the sad face she made when she looked at my wings. "Scootaloo's flight problem...."

“Scootaloo wasn't born with it. Most flight development problems can be corrected now days, but if the developing muscles are damaged....it can make things...difficult." Tender Care trailed off.

I remained silent. Did Scootaloo know she wasn’t born with her problem? Surely she did, and her parents fate. I had assumed it was some kind of relocation issue, or negligence, but never death.

“Who were her parents?” I asked.

Tender Care climbed out of her seat and opened a file cabinet. After digging through it for a few minutes, she pulled a folder out and placed it on her desk, sliding it towards me. I cautiously opened it, as if it were some ancient treasure. The folder was pretty old, and clearly hadn’t been touched in years as the scent of well-aged paper hit my nostrils.

Two small photos were paper clipped to the front sheet. Brave Banner, a pegasus guard, and Summer Stars, a beautiful unicorn. Scootaloo got most of her looks from her mother; her mane was inherited from her father though, judging from the picture.

I skimmed over the information on the first page, detailing bits of their life. The next page tore my heart out; it was Scootaloo, her back covered in bandages, wings concealed beneath the white strips of gauze. There was little doubt that she knew now, it would be hard to explain that away.

“She’s come a long way since that night.” Tender Care said.

“Yeah….” I mumbled quietly.

“If I may make a suggestion, spend the day with Scootaloo. It’d mean the world to her, and it’s something I ask all potential parents to do.” Tender Care gave me a forced smile, trying to lift the mood.

Pinkie Pie would want me to be out of her mane for the day, if this was anything like last time. I hadn’t spent much time with her since the Discord accident; perhaps it was time to rectify that.

“I can do that.” I said, closing the folder.

“Good, now there is still the paper work that needs to be filled out before we can begin.” Tender Care placed an intimidating stack of papers on her desk.

“So, which one of these asks for my soul and blood?” I laughed.

“None, I assure you. I know it’s intimidating, but we have to be extremely careful. The only reportedly unpleasant part is the inspectors that pay you a little visit. All they really do is ask you a few questions to make sure she’s going to a good home.” Tender Care smiled.

“Okay, let’s get started then.” I resigned myself to the tedious task ahead of me.

I was horrible with mouth writing; thankfully Tender Care understood my situation. My signature was enough for most pages, but it was a struggle with some of the more detailed information. The mare giggled at me once or twice, especially when I somehow managed to get ink on my forehead.

“I think that’s everything. I wish you luck.” Tender Care said.

“Thanks, I’m going to need it.” I replied, climbing out of my seat. I didn’t have to use my wings for everything.

“It’s almost three, if you left now, you should reach the school house by the time the last period is over.” Tender Care reminded me.

"Thanks Tender Care, and please keep this between us for right now." I smiled when she pursed her lips and brought her hoof across them, as if she were zipping them shut. It was good to see a familiar gesture every now and again.

---

I waited outside the school, counting down the minutes until the bell would ring. It was an old bell, not the stupid electronically timed ones that had no flare or taste from my world. I had come to adore the old fashioned touch of Ponyville.

The bell finally rang, swinging back and forth as the sound echoed out from its hollow depths. Seconds later, the school door burst open, fillies and colts pouring out of the school house as if it were on fire. Among the herd of foals was a familiar tangerine pegasus filly.

"Hey Scoots." I called, gaining her attention.

Scootaloo's ears perked up, her head turning this way and that before she caught sight of me. I noticed Diamond Tiara walk out after the others, Silver Spoon in tow. Upon seeing the filly approach me, she mumbled something to her henchpony. Oddly enough, her face wasn't one of malice, that I could tell anyways.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Scootaloo asked.

"I'm waiting to hear back from my team. I've got nothing to do today sooo, I wanted to see what you were up to." I shrugged nonchalantly.

"You came to see what I was up to?" Scootaloo asked skeptically.

"Sure, thought you'd want to hang out." I replied.

"Okay! Oh, umm, wait here for a sec.” Scootaloo said, running back to Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle briefly, returning with her scooter.

“You ready Scoots?” I chuckled.

“Yup, let’s go!” Scootaloo saluted.

“So how was school? Anything interesting happen?” I asked as she moved at a steady pace beside me on the four wheeled contraption.

“Not really, but it was kind of weird today….” Scootaloo replied.

“How so?” I pressed for her to continue.

“Well, Diamond Tiara didn’t say much to me or my friends today. She just kept looking at me, it was really creepy.” Scootaloo shivered slightly.

“Maybe you should try talking to her. Who knows, maybe she’s had a change of heart?” I offered with a smug smile.

“I don’t trust her, she’s been mean to me and the others long before you arrived. You didn’t say anything to her, did you?” Scootaloo asked.

“Not to my knowledge.” It was a struggle to keep my smile from growing. I knew damn well why she wasn’t saying anything nasty to Scootaloo now. If her father’s money was involved she was slightly more cautious. Smart filly.

---

“You okay Sweetie Belle? Ya’ve been smiling awful big ever since Scootaloo left with Daniel.” Apple Bloom pushed open the door to their club house.

“Isn’t it awesome?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“It ain’t no different than when she hangs out with Rainbow Dash if ya ask me.” Apple Bloom shrugged.

“Oh yes it is.” Sweetie Belle giggled.

“….okay, out with it.” Apple Bloom grinned.

“Out with what?” Sweetie Belle asked innocently.

“You’re bad at keepin’ secrets, and Ah know ya’ve got one.” Apple Bloom deadpanned.

“Do not!” Sweetie Belle’s voice cracked.

“Do too!” Apple Bloom fired back, tackling Sweetie Belle.

“I’ll never talk!” the unicorn filly proclaimed.

“Oh yeah?” Apple Bloom smirked before forming an o shape with her lips, letting a long string of drool slowly, torturously, approach Sweetie Belle.

“Eek! Apple Bloom no!” Sweetie Belle shrieked, struggling beneath the earth pony. Her magic seldom worked correctly when she panicked, and Apple Bloom knew this.

“Hmmm?” was the only sound to escape Apple Bloom as the string of drool crept closer to Sweetie Bell.

“Okay, okay I’ll talk!” Sweetie Belle caved in just as the wad of saliva was an inch away from her nose. She hated Apple Bloom’s methods of getting information.

“Alright than, out with it.” Apple Bloom said, after nosily slurping up the drool string. The display made Sweetie Belle’s muzzle scrunch up in disgust.

“You know how Scootaloo is an orphan, right?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Duh, everypony knows that.” Apple Bloom rolled her eyes.

“Well….she might not be soon.” Sweetie Belle smiled.

“Ya mean it!?” Apple Bloom asked excitedly.

“Uh huh, I heard my sister and Isabella talking about it. The reason why Daniel left was so he could try and get the job some unicorn offered him….at least that’s what I understood.” Sweetie Belle confessed.

“Why in tarnation would ya want to keep that a secret?” Apple Bloom tilted her head in confusion.

“Because I think they’re wanting to keep it a surprise, so you can’t tell her, okay?” Sweetie Belle pleaded.

“On mah honor. She’ll be so excited though, it’s gonna be hard not ta tell her.” Apple Bloom jumped up excitedly.

“I know, she was down in the dumps for a while….do you think that’s why Daniel stopped by!?” Sweetie Belle’s eyes widened comically.

“Maybe Sweetie, but let’s not go coutin’ chickens before they hatch.” Apple Bloom replied.

“I guess you’re right, I still think it’s awesome. Scootaloo will finally have a family.” Sweetie Belle eyes traveled over the many pictures they had drawn.

---

“Ack!” Scootaloo yelped, holding her head between her hooves.

“Brain freeze?” I asked, taking another drink of my milkshake.

“Heh, guess you have those on Earth too huh?” Scootaloo blushed.

“Me and my friends used to have contest to see who could drink theirs the fastest without giving in to the pain.” I laughed.

“So is today really your birthday?” Scootaloo asked.

“It was last month, actually, but I wasn’t here to celebrate it.” I replied.

“Oh, so that’s why Pinkie Pie ducked behind a tree when she saw you.” Scootaloo said as she cautiously took a small sip of the milkshake in front of her.

“That, or it was Pinkie being her usual unusual self.” I smirked, making Scootaloo laugh.

“How old are you anyways?” the inquisitive filly asked.

“I’m twenty five.” I replied.

“Oh, so you and Cloudchaser are close to the same age. That’s good...” Scootaloo’s tone shifted.

“What’s wrong kid?” I gently nudged her with my wing.

“Nothing, I was just thinking….if you could have anything you wanted for your birthday, what would it be?” Scootaloo asked, looking thoughtfully down at her drink.

“Anything? I guess....spending time with you guys." I replied, giving her a partial truth.

I want to tell you Scootaloo, I really do. Right now isn’t the time though, I thought as I watched her give me an odd look of confusion. The thing I want most in this world, or any other, for my birthday is the same thing you’ve wanted almost your entire life.

“Well, happy birthday then.” Scootaloo smiled uncertainly.

“Hey, let’s blow this joint." I motioned with my head for Scootaloo to follow me.

The filly followed me out of the store, the sun slowly beginning to set. I stretched my wings out a bit, feeling fairly confident I had enough time for what I wanted to do before the party.

"You ready Scootaloo?" I asked.

"Ready for whaa!" Scootaloo yelped as I gently scooped her up and onto my back.

"Hold on tight." I warned before taking off into the air. Her previous shriek of panic was now replaced by fits of laughter as I rapidly put distance between us and Ponyville. Well, the ground of Ponyville, anyways.

I could hear Scootaloo's little wings buzzing behind me. It sounded like a blend between a humming bird, and a bee's wing beats. They moved surprisingly fast, but couldn't generate the lift she needed to fly.

"You want to give it a try?" I asked.

"W-what do you mean?" Scootaloo's wings ceased their rapid movement.

"Flying." I said nonchalantly.

"Rainbow Dash holds me up with her hoof sometimes, so it's cool." Scootaloo brushed off my offer.

"I wasn't talking about holding you up with my hoof. I meant using your wings." I said, causing Scootaloo to gulp nervously.

"I-I can't fly, remember? We should just stick to-" Scootaloo started.

"If you keep telling yourself that, then you never will. I'll have to tell you the story of The Little Engine That Could sometime." I chuckled.

"...p-promise you won't l-let me fall?" Scootaloo's voice was shaky with uncertainty.

"I value my life; I don't want to die prematurely to a cyan colored mare with wings." I replied, glancing at the filly on my back.

"O-okay." Scootaloo said as I dropped my speed dramatically until I was simply soaring with only the occasional flap to remain at my desired altitude.

I offered a foreleg to Scootaloo, lifting her off my back once I felt four small legs slide around it. She was scared, but I had a feeling that would soon change...or I would be arrested for accidental ma-pony slaughter.

Slowly, I felt Scootaloo's grip on my leg begin to loosen, until she slid off completely. I quickly flew beneath her, watching as she flapped her small wings furiously, her face twisted with strained effort. She remained airborne for at least ten seconds before tiring herself out. A brief cry was all she managed before she fell into the safety net of my outstretched forelegs.

"Told you I wouldn't let you fall." I grinned.

"That was…pretty cool," Scootaloo smiled looking down at the ground far below us. “Umm, can I try again?”

Hours flew by as I watched Scootaloo try her hardest to remain in the air. Each time she started to fall I was there to catch her. We would occasionally rest on the stray clouds that had drifted over Ponyville. I had missed their soft fluffy surface, and from what Scootaloo told me, she didn’t get to spend time on them that often either.

“So this is where you’ve been?” I heard Cloudchaser call out from behind us.

“Yeah, just enjoying the sunset after flying.” I replied as the mare landed on our cloud.

“Scootaloo flew?” Cloudchaser’s expression displayed her disbelief.

“Sort of, Daniel helped….a little.” Scootaloo grinned at me.

“Good to know he made himself useful today,” Cloudchaser teased, giving me a brief nuzzle. Scootaloo faked a gag at the display. “You wouldn’t mind if I borrowed him for a bit, would you?”

“Nah, it’s getting pretty late anyways. Besides, there’s still his birthday party to get ready for.” Scootaloo shrugged.

Cloudchaser tensed at the word birthday, especially when I threw a mischievous smile her way. Leave it to a kid to expose a secret. Pinkie Pie had set her up to this no doubt, but knowing the party pony she had a backup plan, and a backup for the backup plan.

---

The flight back to Ponyville had been brief. I had enjoyed spending most of the day with Scootaloo; I could tell she had enjoyed herself too. When Cloudchaser arrived, I couldn’t help but feel as if I was being blessed with a small glimpse of what our relationship could develop into.

Once we touched down outside the café where we had left Scootaloo’s scooter, the little filly sped off after bidding both of us goodbye. Now alone with Cloudchaser, I let my guard down a little more than when Scootaloo had been present, she was still a bit too young to grasp some things.

“So, how was work?” I asked.

“Long and boring, I guess you know why I flew around town looking for you now?” Cloudchaser bumped into me playfully.

“Yeah, Pinkie Pie.” I rolled my eyes.

“Oh come on, she’s your friend.” Cloudchaser said as we began the slow walk to Sugar Cube Corner.

“I wasn’t trying to be mean. I like Pinkie Pie, I just wish she wouldn’t throw surprise parties all the time. I’m a little old for them.” I laughed.

Sugar Cube Corner appeared around the corner. It’s lights were on for a change, which left me a bit stunned. I was expecting the building to have a deserted appearance, but was pleasantly surprised when it looked as though this would be a normal birthday party.

“Uh huh, suuure, whatever helps you sleep at night.” Cloudchaser grinned.

“Do I really get to pick?” I asked wiggling my eyebrows at her, causing her to laugh.

“Later birthday colt, for now let’s get through the party.” Cloudchaser replied as she knocked on the door to Sugar Cube Corner.

The door swung open, and I was yanked inside forcefully by a set of pink forelegs. I stood shell shocked for a few seconds. Sugar Cube Corner was packed! Walking space was limited, and the decorations were more impressive than the last party Pinkie Pie had thrown for me. It was the sound of a familiar song that pulled me out of my stunned mental state.

“Happy birthday to you~ happy birthday to you~ happy birthday dear Daniel~ happy birthday to you~” the song finished with a few cheers.

“And many more~" Pinkie Pie added, placing a paper hat atop my head as she was joined by her friends.

"Thanks guys, really, I probably would have forgotten about my birthday all together." I tried to fight the goofy smile forming on my face.

"I had to remind him about it." Cloudchaser giggled.

"Ya ain't goin' soft in the head with age are ya?" Applejack teased.

"I wouldn't think he was soft headed." Fluttershy said sincerely.

"It's a figure of speech dear. Regardless, we're just glad to have you back." Rarity smiled.

"Yeah, and I still want a rematch, now that you actually stand a fair chance." Rainbow Dash chimed in.

"She means she missed you too." Twilight smiled.

---

Scootaloo anxiously scanned the party for any sign of Diamond Tiara or Silver Spoon, memories of the last confrontation still fresh in her mind. She wasn’t out looking for a fight though, she was looking to try and make peace with the bully. It would at least put her mind at ease about the earth pony filly’s agenda.

“You okay Scoots?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Uh yeah, why wouldn’t I be?” Scootaloo replied.

“So did anything interesting happen?” Sweetie Belle smiled awkwardly.

“Not really, you guys are acting weird.” Scootaloo said.

“W-what do ya mean? We ain’t actin’ weird, right Sweetie Belle?” Apple Bloom looked over at the unicorn filly.

“Of course not,” Sweetie Belle’s voice cracked at the accusation. “Why would you think that?”

“If you say so.” Scootaloo shrugged.

With a passing glance across the room, she spotted Diamond Tiara, she was alone for once. Seizing the opportunity, Scootaloo left her seat, trying to think of what to say to her, that didn’t end with her tearing that stupid tiara off her head and cramming it down her throat.

“Hey Diamond…” Scootaloo said, gaining the filly’s attention.

Diamond Tiara hesitated with her answer, Scootaloo was still a blank flank. On the other hoof, she was the potential future daughter of a stallion that had gained a small amount of recognition. Treating her poorly now might come back to bite her later.

“Hey Scootaloo.” Diamond Tiara struggled to say, her very core in protest against her decision.

The two fillies stood in awkward silence, unsure how to continue the conversation. They shared little in common with one another, they came from completely different backgrounds, and they were from two completely different tribes of ponies.

“So….” Scootaloo started.

“Yeah….” Diamond Tiara replied, casting her gaze to the floor.

“Well, um, good talk.” Scootaloo laughed nervously.

“Right.” Diamond Tiara said before both fillies parted ways.

Whew…that was awkward…maybe she’s not as bad as I thought. Scootaloo thought to herself.

Ugh, that was weird. Still, building connections never hurt anypony. Diamond Tiara mentally sighed.

---

I had drifted away from the others, wanting a bit of privacy for a few seconds after being swamped by party guest. I noticed Scootaloo speaking with Diamond Tiara, it was good to know she was at least giving her a chance. Who knew, maybe they could finally become friends. Some of my worst bullies in school had become some of my friends in life.

“Touching, isn’t it?” that voice sent an unsettling chill down my spine.

I turned my head to look behind me, hoping I had mistaken the voice’s ownership. Much to my displeasure, that wasn’t the case as I caught sight of Thunderlane. His wings were no longer in the pitiful shape they were in when I last saw him.

“From what I understand, those two have never seen eye to eye.” Thunderlane remarked, standing beside me.

“Not to be that guy, but what are you doing here?” I asked.

“I was invited.” Thunderlane replied.

---

“Uh oh, girls.” Applejack could hardly believe what she was seeing.

“Oh no, this is bad. Why did he come?” Fluttershy whimpered.

“I invited him,” Pinkie Pie replied, earning five questionable looks from her friends. “What? It wouldn’t have been nice to just invite his brother.”

“What’s done is done. Just keep an eye on him. Surely he wouldn’t cause a scene in public, especially now.” Twilight said.

“I can handle him. Just give me a few seconds and I’ll send him packing.” Rainbow Dash leapt into the air, ready to dart towards her target.

“Not yet sister,” Isabella said, grasping Dash by the tail gently to get her attention. “This is his fight if it comes to it, let him handle it.”

Rainbow Dash grumbled and slowly touched down on the wood floor, eyes narrowed at Thunderlane. She was slow to forgive, and was completely willing to clobber the stallion if he tried to start anything. Still, Isabella had a good point, this was Daniel’s problem, she had to let him confront it….and maybe get a punch in if she could.

---

“So, what have you been doing with yourself?” I asked, Thunderlane was sticking to my side like glue as I traversed the crowd.

“I’ve been busy outside of Ponyville. I’ve tried to move on after you tore a gaping hole in my life.” Thunderlane replied.

“So that’s why you came tonight, revenge for some imagined slight?” I scoffed.

“No, not tonight anyways, I’m not that stupid.” Thunderlane said, flashing a grin at Rainbow Dash.

“Whatever you think I did, you should let it go. I didn’t do anything to you.” I nodded my head to a Pony that called out my name in acknowledgement.

“Sure you did, Cloudchaser fell for you, I was cut from the Wonderbolts Cadet program, and you still think you can live in a fantasy world where nopony ever gets hurt.” Thunderlane’s voice started to rise in volume a bit, but he managed to get it back under control.

“Thunderlane, all of those things you did yourself. I can’t control what Cloudchaser does, no more than I can control what life throws at me.” I stood in front of him now, unlike Whitefire, we were the same height and almost the same build.

“Of course not, which is why you turned down Sky Mark’s offer, and caused a few ponies to become unemployed?” Thunderlane raised an eyebrow at me.

“How do you know about that?” I asked dumbfounded.

“You left another gap to fill. Fortunately, it was one that suited me. Your loss, my gain.” Thunderlane boasted.

“You’re a fool Thunderlane, Sky Mark will just abuse you.” I warned.

“Don’t lecture me about foolishness. You could have just remained being a stupid ape, minding your own business.“ Thunderlane snapped, pointing a hoof at me.

“Hey, Thunderlane! Glad you could make it, I haven’t seen you in a while!” Filthy Rich took the stallion’s outstretched hoof and shook it, a bit more roughly than one normally would.

“Uh…hi, Filthy Rich…” Thunderlane finally said, after he registered what was happening.

“I see you’ve already bumped into the stallion of the hour, hard to believe he’s going to be racing for me, isn’t it?” Filthy Rich’s voice was a bit off. While it had the same businesspony charm to it, there was an underlying malice, lurking just beneath every word.

“Um…yeah, that’s great.” Thunderlane stammered, clearly picking up on this as well.

“Yes, I think he’ll do Ponyville proud.” Filthy Rich’s eyes were locked on the would be aggressor, daring him to try something. I made a mental note to never cross Filthy Rich in any way, shape, or form.

Thunderlane didn’t respond; he had gotten the message. He had worn out his welcome, and to press things further wouldn’t end well tonight. He glared at me, clearly wanting to continue our conversation, but he would have to pick his physical battles carefully now, if he was injured it would strain his new relationship with Sky Mark.

“I’ll be seeing you again, real soon.” Thunderlane warned before making his way towards the exit.

“You okay?” Filthy Rich asked once the stallion had left the building.

“Yeah, thanks.” I replied, my eyes fixated on the door.

“Sorry, but I can’t have you getting injured by somepony before you even hit the track again.” Filthy Rich chuckled, his friendly demeanor replacing…whatever it was that had chased off Thunderlane.

“Oh, so that’s how it is?” I asked, with a halfhearted accusing expression.

“I told you I’d be honest with you, didn’t I?” Filthy Rich smiled.

---

The party slowly started to wind down, during the evening I had lost track of Cloudchaser somehow. I was begining to grow worried as the night progressed. As much as I wanted to stay, I was concerned about her safety with Thunderlane being in town.

"Hey Isabella." I poked my sister gently after finding her admidst the slowly dwindling number of guest.

"What's up?" Isabella asked.

"Was just curious if you've seen Cloudchaser."I replied.

"I think she said something about being tired," Isabella grinned. "Maybe you should go check on her. Don't worry about the party, looks like it's starting to die here."

"Yeah, sort of. I'll see you at home then." I chuckled.

"Actually, I might not be back tonight. Rarity anad I have some things to work out." Both Rarity anad my sister gave each other mischevious smiles, they were up to something.

"Riiight....well I'll leave you girls to it than." I said, leaving the party.

The night air was comfortable and rich with an odd blend of soothing smells. Most of them went unoticed during the day due to all the activity, but at night and early in the morning was the perfect time to experience the up lifting country air. I had never noticed it before when I was a human, probably due to an inferiror sense of smell.

I noticed the lights were on in my house through my window. While not an uncommon sight at night, it was odd since both Isabella and myself had a habit of leaving lights off when we left. The only other pony I could think of that would venture in there would be Cloudchaser, unless Thunderlane was set to make good on his promise.

I slowly opened the door, cringing as it creaked noisily, ruining any hope of stealth in the event there was an unwelcome intruder in my home. With my location expossed, I pressed forward, anticipating the worst.

"Hello?" I called out, the house was unusually quiet.

"In here~" Cloudchaser answered, putting my troubled mind at ease.

I let out a sigh of relief, slowly making my way towards my bedroom. The faint smell of jasmine was in the air. This wasn't a problem, I didn't mind scented candles, the problem was that I didn't have any, which made me curious as to what exactly was going on behind the cracked bedroom door.

I slowly pushed it open, what I saw made my jaw go limp. There on the bed, was Cloudchaser. She had socks on her legs, white with baby blue stripes running across them. To add to her rather attractive display, a large pink bow was wrapped around her lower waist.

I had been right about the candles, there were a few on my dresser, slowly burning and releasing their intoxicating fragrence into the room. Cloudchaser's appearence, and the overall atmosphere of the room caused my heart's pace to quicken.

"Hey there, birthday colt." Cloudchaser purred, smiling at me with bedroom eyes.
----
WARNING the following link is not safe for work! Do not click here if you value your job, or are too young to view mature content. You have been warned.
----

I lay awake beside Cloudchaser; the candles had long since burnt out, leaving behind a sweet fragrance. The crickets were a bit noisy tonight, but their natural song wasn’t annoying, it was peaceful. The noise did little to take my mind off my thoughts about Scootaloo though.

I let out a sigh, a bit louder than I had intended. I mentally cursed when I heard Cloudchaser stir beside me, rolling over until I felt her breath against me.

“What are you still doing up?” Cloudchaser asked groggily.

“Just thinking….” I replied.

“What about?” she asked quietly, gently nuzzling her head against my neck.

“Do you think I’d be a good dad?” I asked.

“Yeah…why?” Cloudchaser ceased her affections.

“Just something I’ve been thinking about….” I said, stroking her mane briefly.

“You can think in the morning.” Cloudchaser whispered tiredly, tugging on my right shoulder weakly, wanting me to face her.

I complied, rolling over. She wasted no time in snuggling closer to me as I draped a wing over her protectively. I didn’t dwell long on the topic of how to break the news to her, my exhausted mind giving in to the alluring call of slumber.

---

Lean Streak re-read the letter once more. He could hardly believe what he was reading. An invite to Ponyville, of all places. Had Daniel lost his mind in thinking he would actually go there? After all the things he had said.

He didn’t have much choice though, it was doubtful that any other team would want an old stallion like him. Lean Streak had to admit that the kid had a good heart, Track Pace had told him how he had stood up to Sky Mark.

“Ugh....rookie, you better not be pulling my leg.” Lean Streak mumbled with a small laugh.

Author's Note:

So I did it again :pinkiecrazy:

With that out of the way, Thunderlane has returned, and an uneasy truce has been established with the school bully. What does the stallion have in store? And will the uneasy ceasefire between Diamond Tiara and Scootaloo develop into something more?

Probably, because why else would I write all of that? :trollestia: