• Published 12th Dec 2014
  • 3,657 Views, 94 Comments

Night Patrol - Foxgear



After the defeat of Discord Princess Celestia and Luna took the throne, fifty years later Luna is tired of ponies fearing her night and praising the day. Thus she begins an epic adventure to make the night safer for her subjects

  • ...
6
 94
 3,657

The Crystal Empire

Night patrol ch 7
By Foxgear


The crystal empire, a kingdom located at the snowy northern borders of Equestria, some consider it part of Equestria, but that would be false. They were a fiercely independent nation, who as they put it, chose to ally with Equestria against their common enemy the griffons. Princess Symphony, the cousin to Princess Celestia and Luna, oversaw the empire, and dubbed the Princess of Song, due to her magical musical talent. The tone of her voice can make a pony as gentle and loving as a puppy or as fierce as a hungry timber wolf. She ruled beside her stallion, Prince Tempo Treble, and their newly born daughter, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza.

Luna wrinkled her snout at her niece's name. Did it have to be so long and complicated? Couldn’t they just call her Cadence? Also, why are she and Celestia labeled as the new filly's Aunts? They were blood-related but Symphony was their cousin, not sister, whatever, it was probably just a typo, Luna assumed folding the second letter Symphony sent detailing the planned events.

Since she had missed the birth of the foal. Luna felt it was her duty to go the filly's crowning or coronation ceremony, or whatever they were calling it. It was a crystal pony thing. They love to throw festivals, no matter the reason.

Traveling with the Princess of the Night was her ever faithful friend Applejack, accompanied by some of her night patrol ponies. Her wing guard consisted of Fierce Fury and a new recruit named Nightingale. Also present was Dusk, who somehow manage to convince not only her father but the Princess herself, to come on the trip. Luna still had no idea how she did it, and she was there to see it.

Confident in Sixes and Gadget’s leadership skills Luna left them in charge to keep things running. She hoped Gadget would keep his invention testing to a minimum well she was gone, she wanted to test his new toys herself… um, make sure everypony is safe! Yeah, that was it.

“Luna, you ok?” Asked Applejack concerned for the Princess of the Night. Luna's been acting strange, while stranger than usual since receiving that letter and she has hardly spoken throughout the entire trip.

“I am fine, Applejack,” Luna answered, but Applejack’s skeptical frown made it clear she wasn’t fooling any pony with her lies. Luna sighed as her defenses crumble under Applejack’s stare, “I am finding it a little hard to relax, to be honest. Everypony else is back working at the castle, while I’m off to what is essentially a vacation.”

“Ah shucks Luna, don’t be so hard on yourself,” Applejack said in a chipper tone. “Every pony needs a little R and R every once in a while. No pony back home would argue against that. Frankly, you spending some time off will be a big relief to all us who follow you.”

Luna gasped at the former farm mare, confusion evident on her face as Applejack chuckles, “What do you mean?”

“Well, you were working yourself so hard. We were all were kind of getting worried about you.”

“That’s… I…” She was at a loss for words, touched by her subjects’ kindness, she smiles giving Applejack a hug, “Thank you, my friend. I’m glad I have a pony like you to tell me such things.”

“Aw-shucks Luna, don’t think nothing of it,” Replies Applejack patting her on the back, “Hey is that it over there?”

Turning forward Luna looked past the blowing snow spotting a splotch of shimmering green that could only be one place, the Crystal Empire. “Indeed, behold the Crystal Empire! A dazzling sight is it not?”

“You got that right.” Applejack rubbed her eyes to make sure it wasn’t trick. She couldn’t believe how green and shiny everything was! (Who would have thought such a place existed in this snowy wasteland?)

“So cool!” Dusk cried jumping onto Applejack’s back for a better look.

Luna smiled at their excitement. Perhaps she did deserve a vacation.


“Oh, oh, oh there they are!” Symphony exclaimed excitedly from her balcony. Her husband Treble looked out at the small flying speck his wife was pointing at with pair of binoculars usually used for operas. Faintly he could make out the dark ethereal hair of the Princess of the Night.

“Indeed, it is Luna, but I don’t see Celestia with her. Strange they would travel separately.”

“Let me see!” Symphony practically ripped the binoculars from her husband’s grasp. “Ooh you’re right, that is definitely not Celestia. I see blonde. Can’t make out the gender though, think Luna got herself a special somepony?”

Treble calmly took the binoculars away from his wife, “I doubt it. Luna has never shown in any interest in a suitor, and there has been no gossip of her setting up with some noble.”

Symphony rolled her eyes, taking the binoculars back, “Those twats have nothing to offer Luna or Celestia for that matter. I highly doubt we will ever hear royal wedding bells for any union between them and a noble. Now a big tough farming stallion or an adventurous mercenary, that’s the kind of pony I can see Luna mating with. It is my personal belief my dear cousin prefers a simple and action orientated pony.”

“Oh yeah,” Treble said skeptically, “What makes you say that?”

“Well it’s only a theory, but she does like reading tomes of those heroic ponies old, such as Tug, Blackjack, Abelard, and Epona.”

“That last one was a mare you know.”

“Your point?”

Treble cleared his throat, “Right, you were saying?”

“Luna likes, oh look they’ve landed, let’s go greet them!” Symphony excitedly leaps off the balcony flying down to the ground.

Not having wings Treble went back inside to take the stairs. Hopefully, his little problem downstairs would die down by the time he got there. Damn his wife’s sexy plot!


Luna and company land and were greeted by the crystal guards, who quickly search them and the chariot, once they confirm they weren’t carrying any weapons, not that she needed any… most of the time. The guards pull the chariot off to the stables.

Nightingale and Fierce Fury took up position with Applejack, Dusk, and Luna between them. However, despite their diligence, they were blindsided by a pink and maroon blur that bounced past them, tackling Luna to the ground!

“Hi, Luna!”

“Hi… Sym… Long time no see.” Luna gasped under her cousin’s weight. Symphony was a big pony, not fat, but big. She stood even taller than Celestia, only by a few inches though. Either way… “Sym get off me please!”

The ruler of the Crystal Empire chuckled unwrapping herself from the Princess of the Night. “Oh Lunie, it’s so nice to see you again, and look at you, you’ve grown so much since our last meeting. Last time you barely reached over my flank, now look at you!”

“Yes, I have grown in the last century, though not as much I have liked.”

“What was that last part? I didn’t hear you Lunie.”

“Nothing, um… here, this is my friend Applejack and this…”

“Is she your mare friend?” Symphony inquired causing jaws to drop.

Luna blinked at a loss for words as she stared at her cousin. “I beg your pardon?”

“Never mind, never mind, cousin, you were saying?” Symphony quickly said, smiling awkwardly wide. Luna continued to stare with a raised eyebrow as she resumed introductions.

“Right, this little filly is Dusk, and these are my guards Nightingale and Fierce Fury. We are all very grateful for your invitation.”

Symphony waved off the complements with her hoof. “Yes, yes, while I’m sure you’re exhausted and hungry from your long journey. Let us show you to your rooms so you can rest, and I’ll have the chief whip up a meal for you all.” Smiling brightly Symphony led the gathered ponies to the castle, where Treble just arrived, looking a bit fatigued from his long jog down the stairs.

“Sorry Hun, going back up. Please meet me in the dining hall.” Symphony sang as she passed by. Treble exhaustively turning around to begin the journey back up. If only there were a device that could take a pony from floor to floor without having to take the stairs. He would make the creator of such an invention a very rich pony.

“So we’re sharing a room then?” Applejack asked aloud for what would be the fourth time by Luna’s count as they prepare to attend supper with Symphony and Treble. Though really there wasn’t much to prepare for, neither mares brought any formal dining clothes and didn’t care for makeup, so they were basically waiting around with nothing to do. Except debate Symphony’s intentions as to why they were sharing a room in a castle with enough space to hold over a hundred ponies comfortably.

“Tis a big room, with two bedrooms Applejack, we see no reason to feel awkward with one another. We are both mares after all, and thou hast slept in my bed before, remember?”

Applejack sputtered while trying to hide her burning cheeks, “Yes, that’s true, but it was on accident, and then Celestia scared the willies out of me!”

“I know I was there Applejack. Tis was a truly funny sight to behold. Was it not?” Luna laughed opening the curtains Smiling brightly at Applejack, perhaps a little too brightly.

(She’s been switching between normal and fancy speak since we left, something is bothering her.)

“Luna…”

“Supper is ready, Princess Luna, Lady Applejack, if you would please follow me.” A crystal guard Interrupts.

“Wonderful, lead the way, good sir,” Luna said trotting after the guard, leaving Applejack with a sinking feeling in her gut as she followed her friend.


The trip to the dining hall was quick and silent. The crystal guard leading them to their seats. Luna sat to the left of Symphony, who sat at the head of the table with Treble beside her, and Applejack sat next to Luna with Dusk sitting next to her. In the corner Fury and Nightingale hid in the shadows, keeping an eye on their charges.

“Welcome friends, tonight let us sing songs and be merry for tomorrow we celebrate my daughter, Mi Amore Cadenza’s crowning as Princess of the Crystal Empire as well as our ascension to King and Queen! Hail Faust!”

“Hail Faust!” The gathered guests echo. Along with Luna, Applejack, and Dusk, several other ponies of high status were in attendance; the Captain of the Guard, Shiny Stone, Mare in waiting Lady Alto Melody, Symphony’s best friend, and King Sombra, the ruler of Maredor, a small country on the very Northern borders of the Empire.

“So,” Shiny Stone coughed as he set down his wine glass. “What is your rank in the Canterlot Military Guild Lady Applejack? You must have an astounding record to travel with Princess Luna. She is a pony of very high class and standards you know.”

“And right here Sir Shiny,” Luna said narrowing her eyes at the drunk, “But Applejack isn’t a part of the Canterlot Military Guild (CMG). She is one of my own personal Military group, The Night Patrol, and Applejack was my first recruit. She managed to take down a cyclops all on her own, and that was before her training.”

Shiny Stone coughed violently as his drink went down the wrong pipe. “Your own private military group you say? What possible need would you have for that Princess? Why not go through the Guild? There are surely many brave stallions that would gladly join your ranks.”

Luna smirked as she took a few bites of her meal, letting the tension build a bit as they waited for her reply. (I can play politics too Celestia.) “My ponies were being attacked by creatures that plagued the night, and I tried to go in alone and realized I wouldn’t accomplish anything that way. I chose to pick ponies who worked and lived on the land for they would be the most motivated to defend it. (And happen to find a force of 150 dragon ponies that needed a purpose in life) Also Ponies at the CMG have controversial loyalty issues. Anypony with enough bits could get them to switch their priorities.”

“Enough of this… whatever this conversation is, how about we talk about something a little less tension rising. What do you two say?” Lady Alto suggested.

“Very well,” Luna huffed, crossing her hooves, “But I do not want to hear one word about bachelors Alto, I’m not interested in such pursuits right now.”

The misty grey Mare sighed, adjusting the small pink bow in her mane, “Of course you’d say that Luna. Very well, how about dresses? Or even better cellos? I found this magnificently crafted cello in the bazaar today. The music I could make with it would be simply heavenly if only I could afford it.”

“Don’t I get a suggestion in the conversation?” Shiny interrupted, receiving a playful thump on the head from Alto.

“No, my dear Sir, you do not. You’d just start another argument as you love to do, but look at me being rude, King Sombra, how are you enjoying your visit to the empire so far?”

The black unicorn smiled viciously as he gazed on the crystal decor, his eyes looking over each pony with a strange fascination.

“I am enjoying it very much, Lady Alto. The hospitality you all have shown me, despite past relations between our kingdoms is greatly appreciated. Though I had hoped to to see the young new princess with us tonight, tell us Princess Symphony, what breed is the new princess? Unicorn, Pegasus, earth pony? Or has the rare chance of a new alicorn been blessed upon you?”

Symphony shifted uncomfortably under Sombra’s stare, “No, Cadenza is a pegasus, though she possesses rather strong magic, it’s not impossible a horn could grow later on in her life. Either way, I love my daughter just the way she is.”

“A pity that the once great alicorn race may soon disappear from this world, bound to be remembered only in the myths and legends passed down the generations. Must be hard for you two to live in the face of this fact.” Sombra said looking between the two alicorns, his eyes falling on Luna, the Princess of the Night knew what was next.

“Perhaps you and I would fair better creating an alicorn foal, dear princess Luna, alicorn blood does flow through my lineage. My great-great-grandfather was Trojan the Alicorn of Protection. Maybe if we were to mate his genes would reawaken? If nothing else I would show you a very pleasurable time I’m sure.”

Luna’s blood was boiling! It was taking all her strength not to buck the unicorn king in the face for his insolence!

“Your mare friend can join us too, I’m stallion enough for two.”

Luna snarled raising a protective wing to shield Applejack and tried to change the subject. “Symphony, when is our sister Celestia arriving or has she chosen not to attend?”

“Celestia said she has some business with the council to deal with, but said she would join us the day after tomorrow for a private visit.”

“How wonderful that the Princess of the Sun will be joining us,” Said Sombra, his gaze falling on Luna again, “Perhaps she would like to join us as well my dear Luna. For a private visit.”

That was the last straw for Luna “We think thou hast said enough unicorn king! Insults to me are tolerable, but thy friends and sister are of a different matter. Apologies are due, give them now or face our wrath!”

“Luna!” Symphony barked trying to calm the night princess down, but Luna would hear none of it, and with a mere flick of her hoof a shock wave of pure magic blew through the room making everypony freeze in their seats. All ponies except Sombra, who was smiling just as gleefully as before, if not more.

“Beautiful, simply beautiful. I find this side of you even more attractive, dear Luna.”

Luna growled her hooves shaking with barely controlled rage. Taking a deep breath, Luna let herself relax and calm down, if only for a moment.

“We apologize for our, unrefined outburst. We are tired from our journey and need rest. Please excuse us.”

“Of course, Luna,” Symphony said her voice soft and understanding. “I wish you and yours, good night and hope the morning finds you in a better mood. King Sombra I trust this hasn’t affected our hopes of peace as it?”

Sombra bowed, his smirk ever present. “Of course not, why let a little thing like this get in the way of peace? Besides, I rather enjoyed seeing the princess flustered. A rare and wonderful sight to behold, dare I say I would love to see more after the peace talks.”

Luna rolled her eyes as she gracefully stomps out of the room, Applejack and the others following behind her.


Luna rushed to her room, and as soon as the door was closed, she ran straight for her bed. Her body shaking as she struggled to reign in her emotions. Alas it was all for naught as the first tear escaped, rolling down her cheek as she buried her muzzle in her pillow.

“Luna,” Applejack said softly. “Are you ok?”

Sobs answer her. Quietly Applejack opened the door and entered the room. Her hooves clicking softly on the crystal floor that would have been rather pretty to look at if not for her concern for her friend.

As she approached the bed, Luna shifted away from her. Wordlessly Applejack moved to the other side of the bed, where once again Luna turned away. Applejack gave a frustrating sigh trotted around to the other side of the bed only for Luna to roll back to the other side.

“That’s it. Ah, ’m climbing in!”

Leaping on to the bed Applejack landed gracefully beside Luna's huddled form. The bed was large, larger then it needed to be more one pony, it could probably fit five. She was just glad it gave her room to land without squashing Luna. No need to add physical pain on top of emotional distress. Lying on her belly Applejack looked straight at Luna who had retreated under the blankets.

“Come on Luna, it’s me Applejack, you can trust me. Please tell me what’s wrong?” She said gently, trying to persuade the princess out of her little fortress of blankets.

Nothing happened at. First, the room went silent save for Luna’s quietening cries and hiccups. She moved beneath blankets poking her head out, her eyes red and fur soaked with tears.

“There, there, tell me what wrong,” Applejack said soothingly rubbing Luna’s head.

“We…I… feel like such a failure,” Luna began, her voice cracking. “Every time I try to play politics I embarrass myself. When I try to play their game, I am laughed at, when I try to do things my way I am scolded and told to think more moderately. I defend my honor and dignity against a noble or ambassador who thinks they can get into my bed chambers, I am scolded for not enduring their advances. Celestia does, and tonight I tried, I tried so hard, to defend you and Celestia against that slanderous stallion Sombra and I am mocked for my efforts and once again scolded. I wish… I wish I’ve never become a princess!” A strange chill ran up Applejack’s spine as Luna’s voice seem to change, turning deeper and filled with malice. “Curse Starswirl for imposing this fate upon us! Curse Celestia for persuading me this curse was some blessing! Curse them! Curse them all!” Luna screamed reeling up on her hind legs, her coat turning blacker than night.

Filled with fear from what was happening to her friend Applejack leaped into action and hugged Luna with all her might! This seemed to have an effect as the Princess of the Night froze in her grasp.

“It’s ok Luna, it’s all going to be ok.” Applejack whispered as Luna’s coat return to its standard midnight blue. Luna fall limp in her hooves, and she laid the princess gently on the bed. Retrieving the blankets, Applejack proceeded to tuck the tired mare in and was about to leave when Luna reached out.

“Please, don’t leave me alone.”

Applejack smiled, “Of course.” Crawling onto the bed Applejack lay down on the opposite side of the bed from Luna. As sleep began to take her, Applejack felt the blanket shift, and Luna move right up next to her and drape her wing over her body. It was a little awkward for Applejack, but Luna’s warmth was infectious with sleep, and soon her eyes began to slowly close.

“Celestia… I missed you…” Luna mumbled in her sleep as she snuggled closer to Applejack.

Applejack froze at the words feeling compiled answer if only for the hope it would ease Luna’s suffering, even a little.

“Ah missed you too Luna. Sweet dreams sister.”

Luna snuggled closer, muttering something Applejack couldn’t hear, but it didn’t matter.

(Everything would be ok Luna Ah promise.)

Author's Note:

This chapter is a bit shorter wthen usual and took a bit longer then I wanted, but I couldn't decided How I wanted to do the supper scene and ending right away. Overall the final product is better then the drafts. I'm also trying to add more adult humor without crossing a line. Anyways it late and I think I got most of the grammar and spelling errors out.

Tug and Abelard are from Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan
Blackjack is a black Pegasus from the Percy Jackson series
Epona is from the Legend of Zelda series.