• Published 12th Dec 2014
  • 3,657 Views, 94 Comments

Night Patrol - Foxgear



After the defeat of Discord Princess Celestia and Luna took the throne, fifty years later Luna is tired of ponies fearing her night and praising the day. Thus she begins an epic adventure to make the night safer for her subjects

  • ...
6
 94
 3,657

Bits, gems, and a lot of hooves

Applejack nervously tapped her hoof against the floor of the chariot, testing for what must have been the hundredth time that the floor was sturdy. The earth pony thought flying in a chariot would be more reassuring then the harness she'd been forced to wear yesterday. Now sitting in this who knows how old wooden chariot with no sort of safety straps or anything, Applejack was starting to miss the harness. At least yesterday she felt reassured she wouldn’t fall, now it felt as if the gentlest of breezes would break the chariot to pieces.

“Are we almost there?” Applejack asked the princess, who had long since given up trying to persuade her friend that she was perfectly safe and that even if their transport happened to break she would catch her.

“Do you see a tall white castle on a mountain?” Luna dully asked for the tenth time since they left. Applejack shook her head. “Then no, Applejack, we are not there. Nor will we be for some time, so please relax and enjoy the view.”

Looking over the side, AJ gulps as she stared at the faraway ground, becoming air sick again. Luna Sighed and floated over a paper bag for the earth pony, who snatched it out of midair and began taking long deep breaths.

“Is it truly that frightening?” Asked Luna.

Applejack puts the bag down and gave Luna a pointed look. “You have wings, you wouldn’t understand. Knowing if you fall that’s it, you’re done! It’s a humbling feeling knowing you can die at any moment.”

“But you have faced many dangers before where you could have died, why is this so frightening?”

“Those other times Ah could do something about it. This? Ah can’t do anything, it’s just splat and Ah’m gone!” Applejack said, throwing her hooves up in the air to illustrate her point.

Luna was feeling… well she wasn’t sure what she was feeling actually. Fear of falling? She’d never thought about such a thing. She tried to imagine it, falling with no wings, trying to understand the fear. she couldn’t. She wished there was away she could understand, so she could help her friend.

Spotting a rope on the floor Luna got an idea. Grabbing the rope she ties it around her waist and then around Applejack’s, prompting the earth mare to stare as Luna finished her work. “There now should anything happen I will catch you no matter what. Now rest easy, stress is no good for your coat.” Luna jokes as she rubs her hoof down Applejack’s neck. The earth mare began to relax as the tension was removed from her back. Luna cast a light sleeping spell on her, Applejack’s eyes closing, the mare curling up on the floor in a peaceful snooze.

With Applejack secured Luna took a moment to enjoy the flight, letting her mind be free of the lump of dread that filled her soul. Things between her and Celestia were lukewarm at best right now, but after today things could either be back to how they used to be or they could fall further apart than ever before, depending on Celestia’s reaction. However the dice rolls, whether or not the princess of the sun approves of her plans, Luna would not stop until she made Equestria safe.

Taking another calming breath, Luna let her doubts wash away. Celestia was her sister and sisters supported one another, a little thing like raising a pony army to patrol the lands wouldn’t drive them apart. Celestia would see that this was the right thing to do, but still…

Enough. calm yourself Luna, look for a distraction. She chided, letting her gaze drift to the two stallions pulling her chariot. Sixes and Fierce Fury, both of them look rather dashing in the old Equestrian armor. Sixes could almost pass for a normal Pegasus if not for his leathery wings, but even then ponies would probably assume he was a bat pony rather than a dragon pony. Fierce Fury on the other hoof was a different matter,he stallionthe stallion was rather unique even among the Rinin, with his striking red feathers and feathery tail. He looks more like a phoenix pony than a dragon. Luna had heard of a race of feather dragons, but she would have look in the library when she returns home.

Luna looked ahead the city of the Unicorns coming into view resting on the side of a large mountain, tall white towers reaching up into the sky as if trying to touch the heavens. A truly arrogant notion if Luna were to be honest. once upon a time Unicorns could once move the sun and moon, but very few knew of the terrible fate that befell those ponies.

Simply put, the stress of moving such large and powerful celestial objects killed all participants. Not right away of course, a hundred unicorns were needed to move the sun and moon, but even in such group to move the sun and moon every day, Equestria was going to run out of fresh ponies really quickly. At best a Unicorn might last five to twenty years after participating in the ritual before the stress finally brought them to an early grave.

--new

Unicorn’s have held onto a strong “Master Race” mindset since the early days of Equestria. Their ability to move celestia bodies and wield magic far greater than other races the leading cause of this mindset. In efforts to show off they usually build cities in palaces no pony else could such a side of a mountain.

--new

Other than that “Master race” nonsense some Unicorns still held onto, building a city on top of a mountain with no natural resources nearby is kind of stupid. All goods had to be flown in or carried up a very steep road. And ponies wondered why everything was so high priced in Canterlot.

“Descend here” Luna said, “We shall land on the royal airstrip on the West side of the castle. You should see it at any moment now.” She pointed a hoof at a small clear strip of space, where several other chariots were parked off to the side. Chariots of nobles, no doubt given the tight security around them. As they landed several different colored helmets followed them with suspicion. Each noble insisted they had to have their own private police force for reasons they didn’t feel the need to give.

Whispers swept through the crowd by both guards and servants as Luna stepped off the chariot and roused Applejack from her forced slumber. Sixes and Fury quickly took up positions alongside Luna as worker ponies came to attend to their chariot.

“Stay close, all of you, we are not in friendly company,” Luna whispered as they passed some guards in yellow, soldiers of Lord Yellowblood, a pony that Luna never liked nor wished to interact with on any level. The three nodded as they all entered the castle. The few guards that tended to the princesses quickly stepped aside as Luna marched down the corridor with fierce determination gleaming in her eyes. Today things would change in Equestria for better or for worse.


Princess Celestia sat in a big puffy chair at the head of a circular table with ponies of noble birth flanking either side of her. They were the lords and ladies of Canterlot, the crème de crème of ponies as they like to refer to themselves, but Celestia called them the Rainbow council due to their names. Lord Redblood, Lady Orangeblood, Lord Yellowblood, Duke Greenblood, Duke Blueblood, and finally Duchess Violetblood.

They were the ruling body beside her and Luna, representatives of the common pony or so they claimed to keep their royal powers in check. It seemed to her that they rejected her proposals on everything always finding fault with even the simplest of her policies. Such a aid for the poor and orphans management

Together they ran Canterlot and Equestria as a whole and by ran together, what Celestia really meant was she suggested her ideas and they tell her why she’s wrong, it was a rather irking affair. <change>

Even more so when they discuss their ideas and any resistance on her part was met with more resistance and nothing got done until they had their way.

Oh, but if you were Queen you could out vote us they would say”, the only way Celestia can become Queen would be to marry one of their children and frankly she found the idea rather revolting. Not that their children were not handsome, she just didn’t want to be tied to any of them in such a way. Then there was the whole ‘must produce a royal heir,’ thing. (The Council falsely believed their ‘pure breeds’ could produce an alicorn.)

(They want the Alicorn gene in their families as it would assure their dominance against the other houses. A smart political plan that would no doubt easily the masses over. To bad Alicorns can only be born if both parents are Alicorns.)



Celestia didn’t know how many times she’s had to explain this to them, but still they’ve refused to listen, convinced that their royal bloodlines would be sufficient. As if the rules of genetics didn’t affect them.

Celestia hunched her shoulders as Duke Greenblood continued on about something and she once again pondered why she took the role of princess. “Oh right, Starswirl. He was the one who convinced Lunie and I to take this job, promising to help along the way. Now if only he would get out his workshop and actually help ruling like he promised!” Celestia Seethed , thinking of Starswirl’s constant excuses of being too busy with his experiments to help her. sure, she indulged in his adventures from time to time, but when push came to shove and the kingdom needed her to do her job She did it. When she needed him? Starswirl would lock himself away in his workshop and wouldn’t be seen for who knew how long, he could have died in there for all she knew.

The sound of the door opening halted Celestia’s brooding and Greenblood’s babbling as a messenger pony nervously entered the council room. There was a rule in place that the council chambers weren’t to be opened while they were in session, unless it was important, like an invasion or some other emergency. Judging by the pony’s hesitance that wasn’t the case.

“How dare you interrupt me you worthless…”

“Duke Greenblood!” Snapped Celestia, making the green stallion clam up and retake his seat. After sternly glaring at the other nobles, Celestia’s expression softened as she addressed the nervous wall eyed messenger. “What is the matter Dippy?”

The gray mare tapped her hooves nervously as the nobles glared at her. She was sure they would do something to her when the princess’s attention was elsewhere, but for now she could only do her job. “Your sister, Princess Luna, wishes to have a private audience with you Princess Celestia. She awaits in the solar tower. She says to come right away.”

The room was abuzz with chatter as the nobles whisper quietly amongst themselves. Princess Luna in Canterlot? This could spell trouble for them. Lord Yellowblood quickly called for the room’s attention.

“Princess or no, we are in an important meeting and it cannot be interrupted on the whims a single mare!” Yellowblood said smugly, however the tapping of booted hooves made him do a double take as Celestia started walking out of the room. “Princess Celestia, what do you think you are doing?”

“I’m going to go converse with my sister your lordship.” Celestia told him flatly. “Besides, I think we have done enough… delegating today. Time for a break, till next time my dear little ponies,” She sang as the doors slammed shut.

Outside Celestia smiled at the mare that had saved her from the dreadful meeting, “Thank you so much Dippy, is there anything you need?”

The gray mare nervously looked at the closed council doors. “Nothing princess, I’ll be fine. Thank you for the offer.”

Celestia quickly hid her frown. “Oh, ok. If you would be so kind as to bring me and my sister some tea, actually, make that tea and coffee as well as some snacks. I would be most grateful, have Stronghold and Bison help you.”

Dippy’s shivers died down at the mention of Celestia’s most loyal guards. Celestia’s only guards in fact. She gave her thanks before trotting off, only to stop and address the two white pegasi standing beside a pillar. Her personal guards.

“Nothing happens to her this time.” Celestia turned and faced the Council door. “Nothing.”


The solar tower was the tallest tower in Canterlot. Parallel to it was the lunar tower, the second tallest tower in Canterlot shorter by only a few feet. Close up no pony could tell the difference, but looking towards the city it was amazing what a few less feet could do. The towers had been made for Celestia and Luna to cast their magic over the sun and the moon and act as their rooms and private getaway when they were in Canterlot. Very few ponies asked why the Lunar tower was shorter, simply not seeing it as important. Luna had taken it in stride and brushed it off, never asking why, even though the towers were suppose to be made in equal height. Celestia however did question it to find the builders had ran out of funding and had to make some cuts. A strange claim, when the solar tower had been built after the lunar tower. The builder had been a pony named Yellow Brick, one of Lord Yellowblood’s sons. When Celestia looked deeper, she discovered that Yellow Brick, Lord Yellowblood’s son, had been the lead architect.

“You ok Luna?” Asked Applejack as the Luna glared at the lunar tower as if doing so would cause it to fall to rubble.

“I am fine, Applejack, just a bit nervous,” Luna said as the sound of booted hooves echoed through the stone corridors. Celestia was almost here. The doors of the room flew open as the princess of the sun gleefully bounded over to her sister and delivered a flying hug that brought both to the floor in a heap of limbs. Celestia laughed joyfully until she was roughly pulled off the ground by a pair of scaly hooves.

“Oh my,” The princess of the sun chuckled as she took in the two Rinin stallions, who were putting on their best serious face for the occasion. Celestia began to cry as she hugged her sister again. “Whaah! My little sister is growing up! Oh Lunie! How could you do this to me? Having not one, but two coltfriends, and a mare! I’m such a horrible big sister! Letting my sweet little sister develop such immoral tastes! Mother would strike me down with lightning if she were here now!”

Applejack, Sixes and Fury all took big steps away from the two sisters as Luna’s coat literary turned red with embarrassment, or more than likely anger.

“Enough of thy foolishness sister! We are here on serious business!” Luna shouted with her Canterlot voice, the volume shook the castle and left Celestia’s ears ringing and her mane blown back.

“Right, sorry.” Celestia apologized as she cleaned her ears and smoothed down her mane. Looking at the other ponies in the room, Celestia took a more critical look at them. The mare, Applejack, she believed her name was. Next was the more interesting ponies, two stallions dressed in the armor of her parents, both were rather unique in their own rights.

Celestia floated some cushions over for everypony just as Dippy arrived with the drinks and snacks. She had to give the wall eyed mare credit, she didn’t even flinch when serving the two strange stallions. Not everypony was used to bat ponies as they tended to keep to themselves.

“Thank you Dippy, that will be all.” Celestia dismissed the mare and focused her attention on her sister as she brewed her favorite tea, while Luna made coffee. “So what do you want to talk about? Must be important for you to come all the way here to Canterlot, especially after…”

Luna gritted her teeth, raising her hoof for Celestia to stop. “Please, do not speak of that day.”

Shivering under her sister’s cool gaze, Celestia quickly decided to change topics, “Of course, apologizes Luna. So, who are your new friends? I’ve met the mare, but it has been a long while since I’ve seen bat ponies of any kind for years. Since when did they grow feathers?”

Luna took a sip of her coffee, finding it adequate, and then took a chocolate cupcake from the snack tray. “The taller one is Sixes and the shorter one is called Fierce Fury, Fury for short, and they are not bat ponies, but Rinin.”

There was a pause before Celestia ungracefully and uncouthly spat her tea into her sister’s face, drenching the mare’s mane and leaving her unamused by her sister’s reaction.

“Rinin? as in Dragon ponies, that kind of Rinin? You must be joking Luna! Is this one of your pranks? If it is…”

“Enough!” Luna demand stopped Celestia’s babble. She pointed to Sixes and Fury, “Show her.”

The two Shadowbolts look at one another, unsure what they could show as proof, but they didn’t want to let Luna down, so they decide to do something simple. Sixes revealed his teeth while snorting smoke out his snout. Fury held up his right foreleg and morphed his hoof into a dragon’s claw, complete with a thumb.

Celestia gasped, astonished by the display, “Impossible…” she muttered as she walked over to the two. She poked and prodded them to prove what she was seeing was real. “Amazing, I’m sure Starswirl would love to have both of you as test subjects.”

Sixes and Fury flinched. Fury growled as he tore his claw away from Celestia, leaving a small cut on the princess’s foreleg. Celestia flinched and backed away from the two agitated stallions, more for their safety, then hers.

“Calm down you two, no one will be any ponies test subject. You have my word.” Luna said as she approached the two stallions, her words calming them. “Sixes, why don’t you stand guard outside. Applejack, Fury, why don’t you two go explore Canterlot?”

“Why would we want to do that exactly?” Applejack asked skeptically, hating the idea instantly.

Luna sighed and rubbed her temple, already feeling a headache coming on. “Just humor me, please? It will be a good experience, plus there’s certain pony I want you to find, remember?”

Other than talking to her sister there was another matter that brought Luna to Canterlot. The inventor pony, Gadget, who according to Allure lived somewhere in Canterlot. Of course somewhere could mean anywhere from the lower districts to the castle. She didn’t expect Applejack and Fury to find him, but it was something for them to do. She would address Sixes and Fury’s reactions later in a more private setting.

Applejack nodded and led Fury out the door, who kept a distrustful gaze on Celestia. Sixes took his post at the door, addressing the two.

“Remember if you find yourselves in trouble simply roar and the princess and I shall come to you.”

“Um yeah, how loud is this roar of yours again?” Applejack inquired, imagining panicked ponies running everywhere thinking a dragon was attacking.

Sixes smiled and winked, “Loud enough my friend, loud enough, oh and don’t be put out if Fury gives you the cold shoulder, he’s a quiet pony.”

Applejack waved him off, “It’s ok, I like em’ quiet.” The two stallions stare at her, making her blush and hid behind her braid. “Uh, that’s wasn’t supposed to come out like that, dammit, did it again! Let’s… let’s just go already!” Applejack fumed, dragging Fury along with her.


“What was that about?” Celestia asked as she filled her tea cup. Seeing a pony look at her with such hatred and distrust nearly broke her heart, nothing like this has happened to her before. At least not recently.

“I don’t know,” Luna conceded, “I suppose things might become clearer if I explain how I found Sixes and Fury and their otherkin.”

“Their otherkin?”

Luna nodded soberly and began telling the tale of her and Applejack’s journey to Mount Firehorn. She debated whether she should inform Celestia of Applejack’s training, but decided to leave that out as well as several other details, such as to why she had gone to Firehorn in the first place. When she got to the mountain top though, she was one hundred percent honest, telling her sister of the number branded ponies and their lack of memory.

Celestia didn’t speak right away. She paced back and forth across the room as she digested all of the information. The sun princess agreed with her sister, there was no natural way for 150 dragon ponies to be born and no pony notice, especially given their wide age range. Their lack of memory was even more disturbing, it was almost as if they appeared from nowhere. Celestia choose her next words carefully.

“What do you plan to do with them sister?” The sun princess asked as she turned to face her sister, not as the loving elder sibling, but as the ruler of Equestria to her co ruler. Luna swallowed hard, but kept firm and stared down her sister with equal conviction.

“I plan… I plan to put them to good use for Equestria. They are a fierce and strong willed lot, in need of a purpose. I plan to give them one.” Luna looked out the window, towards the vast land of their kingdom. From here it looked so peaceful, but she knew otherwise. “Over these past weeks I have seen many things sister, things that can’t be fixed with debates and words alone, things that need action and ponies willing to do what is needed without restriction.”

“I don’t understand Luna, what is it you are getting at?”

“What I mean sister, is I am forming an army to battle against the creatures of the night and help our subjects, who are in dire need of hoof and steel rather than empty promises... and I will do it with or without your support.”


Meanwhile in the streets of Canterlot, Applejack and Fury were having some problems.

“Ya think we’re lost?” Applejack asked, looking between the confusing street names in order to find a frame of reference. She would have thought one could see the castle anywhere in Canterlot, but she was proved wrong as the castle’s tall spires blended into the background with the cities other tall spires, each of them looking alike. “Sure would help if we even knew where to look for this pony. No map, no address, how does Allure stay in contact with him?”

“We should look for the smith’s area of town, if he is an armorer somepony should surely know of him,” Fury suggested, pointing his hoof down a lane. “I smell a lot of smoke from that direction, it is mostly likely the forging district, that or a fire has broken out. Unlikely given the metallic scent mixed in.”

Applejack stared at Fury, sampling that air, only to get a whiff normal city smells, such as the garbage that litters the streets and many unwashed pony bodies. She quickly clamped her hoof over her nose, cursing her curiously.

“Oh boy howdy! You really smell that through that stench?”

Chuckling, Fury trotted away, Applejack following with her hoof still over her nose.

“Hey, you gonna answer me?”

The two wonder around for about an hour, crisscrossing several streets, chasing after the ever elusive scent of smoke. Their quest suddenly became more difficult as the hour for supper arrived and every household lit their fires. Hungry and hooves aching, Fury and Applejack decide to take a break. Oddly enough they found themselves sitting on a bench in the cemetery of all places with no pony around except an old mare placing flowers on graves. Applejack decided to ask the mare for directions while Fury stayed on the bench.

“Excuse me Ma’am?” Applejack asked, getting the mares attention. “Do you know of a pony named Gadget?”

The old mare stopped before the next grave, giving Applejack her attention while chomping loudly on a thatch of alfalfa.

“Well aren’t you a pretty young thing, you and your coltfriend out for walk?” Applejack blushed at the accusation and looked back at Fury, who returned the gaze with a raised eyebrow. The old mare chuckled as Applejack denied the claim.

“Me and him aren’t- ah- like that... in fact we barely know each other! And I asked ya-“

“I know dearie, I know, just having a little fun is all. You younglings are so uptight now days, anyway, you looking for Starwind?”

“No, Gadget!” Applejack yelled and then sheepishly apologized as the mare glared at her for yelling.

“Starwind-” The mare huffed, “-Or Starwind the beardless, is Gadget. I’d know since I was the one that gave him his name when he was growing up.”

“You’re his mother?”

The mare shook her head. “I never said that! Now stop interrupting me! Now where was I… oh yes, Starwind was the name I gave him when he was growing up in the orphanage. He gave himself the name beardless after meeting Starswirl the bearded. He thought it was clever. Then he changed his name after he got his mark, three gears. That crazy pony has a real talent for making things. I think he lives down on Trotting lane a couple blocks down. Real dangerous place, most ponies avoid it if they can.”

“Ah see. Thank you for the information ma’am.”

“You be careful now miss, lots of ponies go missing around those parts, especially the pretty ones like yourself. I hope you’re stallion friend over there knows how to tussle.”

Applejack looked at Fierce Fury, sitting calmly on the bench waiting for her, but she knew from his behavior at the mines what lay beneath that calm facade. The fiery pony had barely spoken for the short amount of time they’ve traveled together, preferring to stay quiet. Some would mistaken it for meekness or weakness, but in her experience it was the quiet ones watch out for.

“Thanks for the warning, we’ll be careful.”

The old mare nodded, returning to her flower laying. Applejack trotted back to Fury, who was taking a peek at one of the tombstones. It read: Here lies Ferocious, orphan. The date of death was a few years before Applejack herself was born. There seem to be a lot of similar tombstones for orphans. Applejack looked back at the old mare who continued with her work, there seem to be no end to the flowers she laid down for the dead foals. How many were buried here? The question brought a shiver down Applejack’s spine as she looked out into the fields of stones that stretch for miles.

“Did you find out anything useful?” Fury inquired, shaking Applejack out of her stir and thankfully taking her mind off the gloomy nature of the cemetery.

“Trotting lane, a few blocks that way, we’ll find Gadget or Starwind, the guy goes by two names apparently.”

Fury snorted, his hot breath steaming in the cold air. “Don’t matter if he has three or four names. As long as he’s our pony, it doesn’t matter what he's called.”

“You’re just a ball of sunshine. You don’t have to be serious all the time you know?” Said Applejack, playfully poking the Rinin in the side.

Fury pushed her hoof away. “We can evaluate my demure latter. Let’s get going.”

“Alright, alright, but would it kill you to smile?” Asked Applejack, Fury opened his mouth wide in a big smile, showing off his sharp teeth. “Oh right, I forgot.”

The red Rinin seem to find some amusement in her reaction, she swore she saw a smirk on Fury’s lips as he trotted ahead. (Maybe he does have some humor in him?) Applejack thought as she followed after him.


Trotting lane, like the old mare had said, was a bad part of town, not that the two ponies walking down the lane had high opinions of Canterlot, but this lane definitely put the “bad” in bad part of town. Garbage littered the streets, the road was covered in mud and other things. The buzzing flies didn’t paint a good picture, nor did the smell. Slander was painted on the houses, broken windows were common, and the rest of the houses barely looked livable.

If things were this bad, why didn’t ponies just move out of the city for the country? Sure there was the wilderness, monsters, bandits, harsh weather and overall tough living conditions, but at least there was always hope out on the country. This place? There was no hope left in it, or anypony that even cared enough to hope for something better.

“Ah shoot, I forgot to ask which house was his!” Applejack cursed her short sightedness. They may have the street pinned down, but there were at least thirty or more houses, including apartments to search. Personally she wasn’t looking forward to meeting every pony on the block.

Suddenly a scream of “SOMEPONY HELP ME” caught the two’s attention. Barreling down the opposite side of the lane was a Unicorn filly or young mare who Applejack guessed didn’t look that much younger than Applejazz .

The filly had a yellow tawny coat and a head of pure black hair. she was being chased by some very big and very mean looking stallions.

“Come on let’s…go?” Applejack’s voice puttered out as the red stallion was already charging head without her.


“You’re coming with us, Dusk! Some very important ponies have interest in your… gift. We’ve tried being nice, but that bone headed father of yours can’t save you now.” The lead stallion taunted. The mare, Dusk, pressed her body closer to wall, as if trying to phase through it, sparks of black colored magic burst out of her horn as she fearfully tried to use to her magic, but the lead stallion, who was also a unicorn canceled the spell before it could form.

“Nice try,” He chuckled, retrieving a ring from his saddle bag, “But not good enough, now if you would so kindly put this anti-magic ring on your horn, we can make this quick and painless. Our boss prefers undamaged goods.”

“No! Stay away from me!” Dusk screamed, but one of the other stallions cut of her voice with his hoof. The lead stallion advance while holding the ring up with his magic. The ring floated closer to Dusk’s horn, and she struggled harder the closer it got, but it was all in vain. Tears flowed freely down her face, her dad had warned her about going out alone, but she just had to go to that party! She had wanted to taste freedom and see what it was like to be a normal pony for once. Now her life was over. Her dad probably wouldn’t even know she was gone till tomorrow. When he gets into a project he forgets to even take care of himself, let alone her. He would have starved or died of dehydration if she wasn’t around to remind him he needed food and water. Also sleep, he hardly gets any of that either, he looked like somepony punched him the face with the black circles always around his eyes.

Resigned to her fate Dusk closed her eyes as the anti-magic ring touched her horn. Already she could feel its effects taking hold, the stallions chuckling at her plight. She was so sure it was all over that she didn’t even register the yell of pain from one of the stallions at first. She finally did when she felt the hoof ripped away from her mouth and the ring tossed side. Landing on her rump she opened her eyes to see a red armored Pegasus standing protectively over her.

“Who the hell are you, ya damned featherbrain?” One of the stallions demanded. No pony ever got in their way before, they knew who they worked for, and they knew better then to try to get in their way.

“Fury hold up!” An orange a mare, wearing some sort of dark blue body suit with gold boots demanded as she skid to a stop next to the red Pegasus. “We’re supposed to be a team! You don’t go leaving your teammate behind!”

“Not right now, Applejack,” Fury growled, streams of smoke blowing out of his snout, his hooves morphing into claws. “Take care of the filly. I’m going to show you why they call me FURY!”

Roaring like an angry dragon, Fury bared his claws pouncing on the nearest unicorn and taking him down in an instant, the others charge their horns to attack, it was ten to two. They had them out numbered was their thought as they fire beams of magic. Fury took to the air avoiding the beams and swooped down grabbing one of the unicorns and carried him up into the air, the unicorn screaming for him to let him go.

“Alright, if that’s what you want,” Said Fury letting the unicorn fall, he and his friends were so surprised that he actually let go that the other unicorn stallions didn’t even try to catch their friend, who landed on the ground with a ‘splat’, “Two down, eight to go. Let’s separate the mares from the stallions shall we?”

Inhaling, Fury’s chest expanded, a soft red glow flashing beneath his scaly coat. The unicorns were so confused by his actions that they didn’t even prepare any defenses, after all since when did Pegasus breath fire?

Blasting a stream of hot flames Fury hit one stallion directly, the stallion ran in circles trying to put out the fire by rolling in the mud, another two fled in terror, the remaining four charge at Applejack and Dusk, hoping to complete their mission and run home. They might have thought Applejack, being a mare, would make an easily opponent, after all they had taken on plenty before. They were in for a surprise.

With as much fury as her companion Applejack turned and kicked closet unicorn, teeth flew and his horn snapped as her hooves connected with his face, the second was met with a wall of stone spikes! Applejack creating them with her grieves the moment her back legs touched the ground. Turning she slammed her front hoof against the stone spike just as Luna had shown her, the spike burst into thousands to tiny shards a that cut up two of the last remaining stallions, the fourth and final running with his tail between his legs. He didn’t get far though as a blast of gray magic blasted him into a nearby house.

“Daddy!” Dusk cried happily running to the Unicorn stallion emerging from one of the nearby houses. He was older pony, probably late fifties early sixties, his coat and mane were both graying and fading, leaving only shadow of his former colors, which appeared to be amber and blonde, on his flank were three gears.

“Dusk, thank the princesses you’re safe!” The father exclaimed hugging his daughter lovingly, making Applejack “Aww” and then he thumped Dusk upside the head! “What did I tell you about going out on your own? If I hadn’t had to use the bathroom, I’d never found out you’ve snuck out till it was too late!”

“I’m sorry Daddy.” Dusk cried hugging her father’s leg. His expression softened as he hugged her again.

“I know you are sweetie, please don’t scare me like that again baby. I’m too old to be running around like a brash knight from a fairy tale. You have to be more careful.” The father told his daughter. He looked at Applejack and Fury smiling at the two ponies who had saved his daughter. “Thank you for saving my daughter, I’m Gadget, and this is my daughter Dusk. Judging by your armor you work for the princesses, yes?”

“How’d you know that?” Applejack asked.

Gadget chuckled pointing at Fury, “It’s been awhile, but I recognize that shabby piece of work the lad wears. I worked on a few of those relics back in the day. Oh, but look at me being rude, you two want to come in my house out of the mud and cold? I got some warm hot chocolate on the kettle… and I should probably go check that before my house burns down! Follow me!”

Fury and Applejack look at one another, then at the destruction they caused to the streets and bodies lying unmoving on the muddy streets. Silently they agree that following Gadget would be wise, plus he was the pony they were looking for, so two birds with one stone.

Gadget’s home looked about as well as the other homes on trotting lane, though it was in a little better shape, or at least better maintained than the other houses. Patch work littered the outer walls, the windows were barred and boarded, except for one on the second floor. Gadget let them in the front door, which led to a small mudroom connecting to the kitchen, which was a mess.

“Sorry for the mess. I’m sure there are some clean cups around here.” Gadget rummaged around the cupboards, pulling out three cup with his magic. “Here we go.” He said placing the cups on the table.

“Where’s my cup dad?”

Gadget tapped his chin, “Hmm, I don’t know… in your room where you were supposed to be?”

“I’m grounded aren’t I?”

“You are correct,” Gadget nodded, “Now go to your room and no more sneaking out.” Dusk nods sadly and climbs the stairs. “And no eavesdropping!” The sounds of dashing hooves thunders above as Dusk scurried to her bed.

With the filly in bed, the tree adults gather around the table and casually sipped their hot chocolate. Minutes pass, more hot chocolate was poured, and snacks were offered and politely declined. Thirty minutes later after a little small talk, the time for business arrived.

“So Fierce Fury, Applejack, what can I do for you? Not to be arrogant, but I’m the only pony on Trotting lane that ponies come to see. Mainly because of my workshop and blacksmithing. I assume you came looking for me for a job, right?”

“That’s right, Allure in Firehorn showed Princess Luna this special armor, call moon phase armor, she said you made it and the princess would like you to help make a large order for her,” Applejack explained, “The princess is willing to pay and move you and your family to the castle of the two sisters and hire you on as a permanent worker there.”

Gadget calmly sipped his hot chocolate mulling over Applejack’s words. He really didn’t have any problem leaving Canterlot, it’s not like he had any friends or other family in the city, and it wasn’t exactly safe for Dusk here.

“A tempting offer and my respects for not asking about my daughter, I can see the question burning in your eyes though, so I might as well tell you, since we will be working with each other. You and the princess should know the baggage that I come with.” Gadget exhaled deeply setting his cup on the table and he began his tale. “My daughter Dusk, she is gifted, very gifted, she has more magical power then I did at her age, power I don’t even have at my age now and certain ponies have taken an special interest in her. Those stallions you met have bosses in very high places, if you catch my meaning.”

“Ah think, Ah get you’re meaning, but just to clarify, you’re taking the job?”

“You bet.”

“Alright, gather you stuff, Ah’ll stay here as protection, while Fury will goes to get the princess. You ok with that Fury?” Applejack asked.

“It’s the logical thing to do. I will be back soon.” Fury left the house and took to the sky.

“He’s a serious one, isn’t he?” Gadget joked hopping out of his chair. Waving for Applejack to follow him. “It won’t take long for him to get back, better get started on packing. I need to get all my inventions and blueprints stored away and destroy everything else.”

Gadget pushed the door to his workshop open, revealing walls and walls of papers and blueprints. Strange machines and parts were scattered everywhere, it was a little overwhelming for Applejack.

“We need to pack all of this?”

“No, only eighty five percent of it, the rest can be burned and shredded. Come on, let’s get to work.”


Luna and Celestia have been in hot debate for the past few hours. For the castle staff it was the first time they have ever heard the princesses yell. Not the stop bickering and shut up yell, that Celestia used on rare occasion, but actual yelling between two sisters.

“This is madness Luna! You will be putting ponies in danger!” Screamed Celestia.

“Ponies need to learn to defend themselves Celestia! We may have more magic then every pony in Equestria, but we are not invincible, we cannot be everywhere, we cannot protect everypony! What will happen when we pass on like others of our kind?” Luna argued back, snorting in rage.

“Symphony is with child, our race will make a comeback!”

“Stop lying to yourself Celestia! Are you going to mate with our cousin’s son? We both know that pure bloodline is nonsense. Admit it, this is end of the Alicorns, it’s time to look the future.”

“Starswirl is making a spell that could change everything! We can make more of us Luna.”

Luna blinked, while Celestia covered her mouth, hoping no pony overheard her, it would be very bad if certain nobles found out Alicorns could be made.

“What insanity are thou talking about Celestia? Make Alicorns is what I believe was said?” Luna asked pointedly. Celestia nervously backed away, while Luna advanced on her. “Say it again, what is this insanity?”

Celestia bit her lip nearly breaking skin. How could she blab such a important formation in a castle with so many ears. “Forget it, it’s nothing but a pipe dream at the moment.”

Luna growled digging her hoof into the floor, desperately wanting to press the issue, but knew this was not the place to discuss such world shattering ideas. (Something can never be known.) She didn’t like secrets, but even she knew what trouble could spawn if ponies found out it might be possible to make alicorns rather then birth them.

“Very well, I’ll let the matters slide for now. Regardless of what you say, I’m already moving forward with my plans. My adventure in Firehorn only reinforced my believes that this is the right path. Tell me sister, did you know Dragonlord Singe was overthrown?”

“What? When did this happen?” Celestia gasped looking terrified. Her body shivered recalling the monstrous battle they waged against the dragonlord nearly two decades ago. “What manner of dragon could have defeated him? We barely defeated him!”

“Age was probably a key factor. He was at the tail edge of his prime when we faced him. I still find it hard to believe his strength deteriorated so quickly since then. The new Dragonlord, Torch, doesn’t seem interested in conquering our lands for now.” Luna puckered her lips looking sour. “Though he made a show of me at my expense.”

“What did he do?”

Luna bit the inside of lip, “He just said a few choice words and insults, demanded payment for letting me take the Rinin with me. I’ll be pulling a good sum from my side of our hoard within the week here. That isn’t what’s important here, Celestia. You and I know Dragonlords can switch in a blink of an eye. Who knows how long Torch will be in power, could be a year, could be a thousand, or he could gone next week, replaced by a dragon that is interested in our lands. What will we do then?”

“We shall repel him the same we did with Singe.” Celestia replied boldy.

Luna shook her head circling around her sister, “What will we do if he is joined by several other dragons of similar power?” She jabbed her hoof into Celestia’s side, right underneath her left foreleg, Celestia jumped and hissed. “That wound from Singe still bothering you even now?”

“It didn’t get treated probably after the battle.” Celestia rebuked with a tear pooling under her eye.

“You’re not healing like you used to.” Luna stated jabbing Celestia in the ribs. The sun Princess yelped and jumped away from her sister, looking angry.

“Stop that! I’m only twenty five hundred years old, don’t take me a for old nag just yet.” Celestia barked jabbing Luna in the side, her little sister didn’t flinch.

“That wound healed long ago, Celestia. Face it, these years of soft living have weakened you, your out of shape. I hate to admit it, but I’ve slacked off too, but no more. We need to be better prepared and our ponies need to be prepared too, not just for the dragons, but Griffons and other pony nations.”

Still cringing in pain Celestia glared at her sister. “You have a point, but that’s why I’ve been looking for a successor, because unlike you I’ve been here trying to find solutions these past fifty years while you been hiding away at home!”

Luna staggered back as if struck, tears pooled in her eyes before she angrily wiped them away. Her eyes red and her lips quivered with restrained rage. She turned up her nose and faced away from her sister.

“Luna… I… didn’t mean it like that.” Celestia muttered.

“I think we’re done here.” Luna said stonely.

The door opened and Sixes entered with Fury beside him. “Princess, we have found him.”

Luna nodded turning back around with dried eyes, giving her sister downard look, while bushing down her mane. “Very good, take me to him. I believe I am done here. Good bye sister.”

“Goodbye, Luna,” Celestia whispered as the blue mare exit the room. The room feeling big and empty, a single tear rolled down her cheek.


“This is the residence?” Luna asked, touching down in front Gadget’s home, it wasn’t what she been expecting. Surely a blacksmith must earn more?

“Yes, mistress,” Fury confirmed opening the door for Luna, “Please watch your step, it is not the cleanest of places.”

“Well you try working all day and raising a kid and find time to clean!” Gadget shouted over a loud crashing noise. A strange device was tossed out of the workshop. The unicorn stallion trotted up the stairs with four saddlebags slung over his flank, stuff full of scrolls. Coming up behind was Applejack, carrying up even more saddle bags. “That’s most of it. Dusk! You can quite pretending to be a sleep and gather up your toys. We’re moving!”

“Yay!”

Luna looked strangely at Gadget as little tawny blur ran down the stair, hugged him, and then run back up stairs. “It’s doesn’t seem normal for a filly to be so excited about moving.”

“She isn’t a normal filly,” Gadget said approaching the princess, “Nice to meet you majesty, names Starwind the beardless or Gadget, I go by the latter more often these days, but I thought it would be rude not to tell you my real name.”

“How noble,” Luna praises, “I hope you don’t mind if I simply refer to you as Gadget?”

“Whatever you prefer, now you want some moon phase armor I hear? Glad Allure finally managed to pitch that armor, but from what Miss Applejack has told me, you’ll need more than just mere armor. Take a look at these.”

Several blueprints float over to Luna. She took them in her magic looking them over with a critical eye, and she liked what she saw.

“What do you need to make these?”

Gadget smiled, “I’m going to need bits, gems, and a lot of hooves.”

Author's Note:

edited 5/4/19
Edit's by ALKS-Dough 10/26/20