• Published 7th Dec 2014
  • 921 Views, 11 Comments

Doctor Whooves: Brave New World - Gandalf158



The Doctor, freshly regenerated and flying a crashing TARDIS, lands in Canterlot. But all is not well in Equestria, and an old enemy of the Doctor's has followed him through, and is seeking to learn about this new realm....

  • ...
3
 11
 921

New World, Old Enemies

Doctor Whooves: Brave New World

By: Gandalf158

Chapter One: New World, Old Enemies

"What?" Was all Octavia could say.

The Doctor sighed and asked again, "What are you, what planet are we on, and do either of you have an apple with you?"

Vinyl snorted, what idiot didn't know what they were, let alone what planet they were on? She didn’t know what to think about this guy, he seemed weird and was acting crazy. Octavia, on the other hoof, was still curious, but the guard was coming to check out the disturbance, and she doubted they could talk their way out of this strange situation…

“We need to get out of here, I’ll answer all your questions soon, but we’re...about to miss our train!” she said, thinking of no other excuse.

The Doctor brightened at the thought of getting answers, and smirked. This was his favorite part.

“Well then,” he said, “The only thing to do in that case is...run!” he said, trying to run and landing flat on his face.

“Not quite used to four legs yet, no more running. Walk very briskly!” he said, taking step after shaky step.

Octavia called out to him, and pointed in the other direction, towards the train station. He turned around and began walking towards her, nervous grin scrawled across his new face. They all began trotting away, when the Doctor remembered something, something very, very important.

“Hold on a moment,” he said, pulling out the screwdriver and using it to lock the TARDIS door, “Alright, off we go then.” they left the scene as the first guards arrived on scene, looking incredulously at the blue box lying in the middle of a crater.

Walking along the road nearing the train station, the two mares had answered a few of the Doctor’s questions.

“So, you,” he gestured at the DJ, “Are a unicorn, can use ‘magic’ with your horn to do almost anything, and you,” he turned to the black maned mare, “Are an ‘earth’ pony, a race that possess a higher degree of physical strength as well as an in-born connection to the world around you. There is a third race of ponies called pegasi that have wings, and can somehow manipulate natural weather patterns. We are currently in Canterlot, the capital city of the nation of Equestria, on the planet of Equus. You are governed by two royal sisters of a bygone race called Alicorns, who have ruled for centuries. Have I got it so far?”

“Yeah, but why are you asking us all this? Even foals know the answers to your questions.” Vinyl said.

“Let’s just say, for the moment, that I’m from out of town. Now, onto my next question; apples?” he asked hopefully.
“What is it with you and apples, anyway?” Octavia asked.
“I think I’m having a craving. Never had a craving before…”

“Well, sorry, no apples here...but there are bound to be some apples in Ponyville.” they had finally reached the station, the train preparing to depart.

They purchased three tickets, the Doctor wondering where they kept any money when they didn’t wear clothes. He himself had shed his too big and misshapen clothing back in the TARDIS, he’d need to obtain new clothing that would fit his new form. He thought it odd, he lands on a new planet he had never heard of before, and regenerates into a new form, one that matched the general build of this planet’s strange dominant species. There had to be more to it, as far as he knew, no other Time Lords had ever regenerated into anything but Time Lords, but here he was, an earth pony in the land of Equestria.

Then he saw the train and balked. There was a team of strong looking earth pony stallions at the front of the train, looking like they were, well, champing at the bit. The Doctor tried to hold back a snicker at that thought, and utterly failed at it. Octavia looked at him as they boarded the train.

“What’s so funny, Doctor?” she asked him.

“Oh, nothing. Just remembering a saying from my old home.” he said.

“So, Doctor, what was that blue thingy we found you in?” Vinyl asked him, getting a nod of agreement from her friend.

“Oh, that’s my ship. A type 40 TARDIS, daft old bird sometimes, but she still gets me where I need to go. Eventually.” he said, rolling his eyes.

“You expect me to believe that you drive around in that thing? It looked like it was barely big enough to hold you!”

“Oh, if only you knew…” he replied, smiling wistfully and imagining their reactions.

The train moved swiftly along the tracks, going much faster than the Doctor would’ve thought possible for a completely pony powered vehicle of this size. As he looked out the window at the countryside rolling by, he began to notice something, something that had been nagging at the back of his mind since he first stumbled out of the TARDIS, where in the universe was he? This planet seemed more...vibrant than any of the others he had visited, the colors brighter and more numerous, it seemed.

As he was thinking on this, he noticed his two travelling companions staring at him, as if sizing up whether or not he was crazy. He decided he may as well fill them in; they’d find out soon enough anyway. But first he belched another cloud of mist.

“Still cooking, it would seem. So, you’ve answered my questions, I suppose it’s only fair if I answer a few of yours.” he said, putting his hooves on the table in front of him (oh, he thought, this is going to take some getting used to).

“Okay, first question. Who are you?”

“Ah, but you already know that, I told you. I’m the Doctor.” Octavia decided to let that one slide, there were other questions to be asked.

“Fine, Doctor. Where are you from? You did say you were from out of town. Judging by your accent, I’ll guess...North Trottingham?” she said.

“There’s actually place here called Trottingham?” he snickered, “Seriously? I let Canterlot slide, and I can excuse Ponyville, but a town called Trottingham?” the looks he was getting from the pair stopped him from laughing.

“Right then. I am a Time Lord, of the planet Gallifrey near the constellation of Kasterborous and the Medusa Cascade. Next question?” he said, getting a look of disbelief from the two mares.

“So what, you’re an alien?” Vinyl said, thinking that this guy was severely off his rocker.

“Yes. Two hearts and everything.” he said.

Octavia gave him an incredulous glance and chuckled bemusedly. He was insane if he thought he was going to convince her that he was born on another planet. Vinyl, however, was very intrigued by his incredible statement; come on! A real alien? Had to be the coolest thing to ever happen to her (you know, except for that time Octavia gave her her sandwich).

“Awesome! A real, live space alien!” she said, causing Octavia to snort.

“He’s crazy, Vinyl. He’s just a disturbed earth pony stallion who probably just escaped from an asylum, and we’ve just helped him evade the guards!” Octavia said, starting to fear for their lives. The Doctor, however, was simply smirking.

“Believe what you want, if you stick around me long enough, you’re bound to find out the truth, one way or another.”

Half an hour later, the train was pulling into Ponyville station, and the passengers were starting to disembark. Vinyl and Octavia were arguing about what they were to do next. The Doctor was acting like he couldn’t hear them.

“Vinyl, he could be dangerous!”

“Seriously, if he wanted to hurt us, he could of done it in the garden, on the train, or even on the way to the station! And, what if he’s telling the truth? I mean, really, all the stuff that’s been happening the last few years, this is where you draw the line?” the Doctor was about to say something, but a piercing scream stopped him in his tracks.

“Come on!” he shouted, and took off running, the adrenaline carrying him forward.

They followed the scream to Carousel Boutique, where the Doctor unlocked the door and stormed in. He looked around inside, but it was empty save for some mannequins (or would they be ponnequins here? he thought) and some other assorted sewing equipment and materials. Octavia and Vinyl finally came in, the Doctor turned to speak to them.

“Who lived here?”

“Rarity, the town’s dressmaker.”

“And the Element of Generosity, don’t forget that Tavi.” the Doctor filed that under “ask later” as he started to walk towards them.

“Have there been any odd sightings here recently?” he asked.

“What do you mean, Doctor?”

“Anything out of the ordinary, strange visitors in the night, lights in the sky, things disappe-” he stopped and turned around, “Wait a moment, weren’t there seven ponnequins here earlier?”

“Yeah, why?” Vinyl asked.

“Then why am I only counting five?” he said, gesturing at them all in turn.

A cold dread settled over the three, the Doctor from experience, the two mares from the unknown. The Doctor told them to get out, and they did, he said run, and they did. All the way back to Octavia and Vinyl’s apartment.

“Doctor, what’s going on? Where’s Rarity?” Octavia asked when they closed the door behind them.

“Taken. We have to find her soon, before it’s too late.”

“Who took her?” Vinyl asked, she hardly knew the fashonista, but would still consider her a friend.

“An old enemy of mine. She was taken by the Autons…”