• Published 5th May 2012
  • 4,962 Views, 159 Comments

Tales of a Changeling Commander - Grazy Polomare



A Changeling Commander who gets caught runs into more adventures then he bargained for.

  • ...
10
 159
 4,962

Being demoted by yourself sucks...

The sky was an odd shade of grey mixed with spotlights above, revealing the melon-colored sunlight ahead. Reflect merely stared at it, his face solemn and distant. Around him, other changelings were taking in the news. The two guards, Haze and Shift, were the first to finally get over it. Seeing as they had to report back to their superior, they decided to delineate on these thoughts later. It was, surprisingly, Forge who was having the hardest time moving.

"What do we do now General Fury?" Vapor finally asked.

It took Reflect a good ten seconds before he answered his subordinate. "We continue our job Zeth, let's...let's go." And with that, the general turned and propelled himself in the air, followed closely by his two officers-in-hooves. Meanwhile, Forge stood by for another minute, thinking over what he saw.

I've seen that look in only one other changeling, and he ended up becoming the most ruthless bounty hunters in the hive. If the Commander, or Morpheus as his name was called, had experience an emotional breakdown like that of Thresh, then the results could be devastating.

However, he couldn't go after something that didn't want nor need him. So, he took off towards Zecora's place, his mind already wondering what condition his friends were in and if they were ready for another fight.

---------

The Matriarch sensed it. Being part of the hive had given her powers she could never dream or fantasive about. However, with this power, did come its setbacks. She could feel the emotions of every changeling in her command. From the generals to the settlers, each one of them had a profound effect on her sanity. Right now, she was writhing in pain as a great sting penetrated her cerebellum.

Somewhere, a changeling had lost his or her will to continue. To proceed with their job. They were...detaching from the swarm! As her eyes closed to subdue the agony, she began to concentrate on clearing her mind. It was a slow, excruciating process, but it always helped her regain composure again.

-----------

Taking careful steps to avoid tripping, the changeling slowly made his way to the forest. He was still a few miles out. But as the sun gleamed overhead, he heard a faint call and turned to see a squad of four changelings rushing up to him.

"Where do you think you're going?" the changeling questioned him. "There's a war going on if you haven't noticed."

The Commander, now known as Morpheus, merely shrugged. "That's your problem. Not Mine." With this, he turned to continue his trek to the woodlands that would be his home. The changeling leader of the group ran up to him, grabbing him by the shoulder.

"Hey! Who do you think you are? I'm the Swarm Centurion of this group and I am giving you a direct order to offer assistance!"

Morpheus wanted to slap the officer right in the snout. However, he was in no position to do so. Besides, it would probably cause more damage then was already being dealt. "Listen, I have a unit I need to get to just a few klicks from here. Just let me talk to my commanding officer and I-"

The Centurion laughed out loud, "Are you serious? All swarms in this region have been ordered to attack this outpost. So unless you think you're more powerful then the High-General herself, I suggest you follow my orders little worm or I'll hold you in for treason."

The Commander heaved a sigh before reluctantly complying with the officer's orders. After all, he wasn't a Commander anymore. He was just another drone. And drones responded to Centurions, who responded to Captains, who responded to Lieutenants, who responded to Generals, who responded to the High-General.


---------

Haze and Shift were nearing a clearing when they saw a shadow crossed over the roof. Looking at each other in confusion, the two guards merely buzzed over to the sight. Looking through the enormous, gaping hole in the roof, they saw only a pile of rubble and empty tables.

"Whatever that thing was, it isn't here now," Haze said dejectedly.

There was a rumble, and Shift instantly cocked his head to one side to see a black cape flirt into a corner. Pointing a hoof in that direction, he used the other to get his partner's attention. Apparently, he had hit his partner to hard for a small cry of pain echoed throughout the building's architecture. Looking at him with an irritated expression, Haze slowly followed his partner to the sight of the mysterious piece of fabric.

Leaning over the corner, they saw nothing but a dead end. Sighing to themselves, the two turned back, scanning the shops and homes for any sign of life. However, the street was as silent as a ghost town. There was nothing to be found.

Shift was just about to give up searching all together when he saw a violet fedora hat slip into a roof. His frustration taking the better of him, the changeling fired a blast that caused the flimsy structure to crumble beneath his hooves.

"Shift!" his partner hissed, "what in the name of our queen are you doing?"

"I saw it this time," Shift cried, "a hat. We're being watched! I know it!"

Shoving his partner to the side, Haze walked up to the building. Unsurprised by its empty, drab interior, the changeling turned back to his partner. "Shift this is the last time I root out another one of them imaginary spies for you-"

BAM!

The kick landed right on Haze's cheek. Shift could only watch as his partner collided with a nearby pillar. Rearing himself for another assualt, he was surprised to see the attacker was a small mare by the looks of it. However, the mare was dressed like some sort of make-believe masked vigilanter with a cape and hat to top it off.

"Listen kid, this is war, not buckin' playtime-Ahhhhh!"

The vigilante leapt at him with frightening velocity, knocking him back towards the opposite building. Getting up, his shell aching, he fired a volley of spells at the mare, who dodged it with the agility of a jumping spider and the grace of a swan.

Haze had already managed to get over the initial shock of getting punched in the face when another punch landed point-blank in his snout. Disoriented, the changeling collapsed over a pile of books. His eyes ringing, he could see that although the mare had a piece of black cloth covering her face, she had eye-ports for her sensory organs to detect the next movement each of them planned on making.

Rushing to the aid of his partner, Shift lifted Haze off the broken shelf, their eyes riveted on the mare. Circling each other, the two parties were silent, hesitant to make the first move. It was at this time that Shift could make out a ripple in the cloth, forming a sort of smile where the mare's mouth would have been.

"Listen kid," Haze spoke, "we're just passers. Let us go, and I promise you this will be less painful then it has to be."

The mare merely stared blankly at his statement. Finally, looking at Shift, Haze figured the pain was going to be spread between the both of them.

"What do we do now Haze?" Shift whispered as the two circled the mysterious mare.

Haze had only one plan that had a sliver of a chance of survival. "Run."

As if set on accelerate, the two changelings turned high-tail and ran as fast as their legs could carry them. Turning around, they could see the mare was easily catching up, not wasting even a drop of sweat.

"She's gonna get us. She's gonna get us! HAZE! We're gonna die!"

"Shut up and run faster if you wanna live to tell this tale to your little brother," Haze barked, his eyes looking back in horror as the mare skipped her way to them. His partner was right. It was a losing battle. They would never make it. Their hooves grinding to a halt, the changelings turned back raised their hooves in surrender.

"Please don't shoot! I wanna live!" Shift cried out.

"Yeah! What he said! Come on kid, we're passers. Just let us go!"

The mare had paused to listen at their pleas for mercy. Then, they heard a giggle erupt from the mask as the vigilantes waved a hoof for them to stop. "Silly fillies! Why didn't you say so? I was going to let you pass when your friend over there became a Mister-Nosey Pants."

Haze merely stared daggers at Shift, causing the changeling to shudder.Turning back to the mysterious mare, he said, "Allow me to apologize for our intrusion. I hope this means...we're off the hook."

The mare simply gave them another blank, undreadably stare. The changelings could feel sweat already pouring from their faces when Shift broke the silence. "So ummmm...we'll just...go."

Before the masked maniac could say anything else, the pair had raced down the street, vanishing in the next corner. When they were sure they were clear, Haze and Shift decided to take a breather. They didn't care about being off-course from their objective. All that mattered was that they had avoided what would likely have been one of the last fights of their life.

-----------

Morpheus was pinned down in a florist shop, his horn firing stray shots towards a trio of three mares wielding...party cannons! Memories flooded his mind as he recalled how these very weapons could change the tide of battle. When he had been Commander, he had expected to bypass the pink pony. But as fate would have it, he ran into the barrel.

"Well I'm not going to get hit again. I'll make sure of that!" He slowly began to creep forward, his eyes darting here and there. On the other side, his unit were lying in wait, their eyes filled with anxiety as the cannon took out changeling after changeling. The Swarm Centurion glanced up towards Morpheus, mouthing his command.

"Go and try to get behind them. We'll cover you."

"And how the buck do you suppose I do that?" Morpheus yelled as another blast from the cannon took out four changelings in the air. "Have you seen what's happened to every changeling that get's near them?"

"Oh please don't give me them negative waves now!" the Centurion barked. "Just imagine you'll get there and you'll get there!"

"But I won't!"

"I said quit it with them negative waves!"

Taking in a deep breath, Morpheus slowly began to crawl towards the cannon, taking cover when necessary. He ducked in and out, hiding behind piles of rubble. Another blast sent a pair of soldier flying into a living room in the next cottage behind Morpheus.

Turning back, he saw his squad firing barrage after barrage. Suddenly, a shadowed figure popped up behind them. Before the squad could react, they were bucked, chucked, and thrown into muck.

Morpheus only gulped, his eyes wide as the masked mare disappeared once more in the shadows. Looking back towards the cannon nest ahead, he began to hum a tune that he would use for his confidence. Normally, this song would allow him to take in the fear that was now threatening to burst right out of his vocal cords. But with the cannon fire and the cries of pain echoing from the injured, Morpheus knew it was getting harder and harder to regain his composure.

He had managed to make twelves yards in the last ten minutes or so, which was saying something considering he had doubted his superior's idea since the beginning. Another blast and three changelings fell off the roof and took a tumble towards the ground below.

Come on Morpheus, don't give up now. You gotta keep going. Alright you can do this. Inching ever closer to the colorful cannons, he couldn't help but notice how humiliating this was. An entire army of changelings being subdued by streamers and confetti. Oh, don't forget the cream-filled pastries that were being fired by the other cannon. If he ever survived this, he would make sure to arrange a meeting with Double later on.

However, as the blasts continued to take out more and more changelings, he was doubting that likelihood more and more.

------------

Forge was hunched expectantly over his boss's bed. Thresh had apparently woken earlier, only to fall back asleep when he found out Forge had already left. Now not even moving an inch, Forge waited for his friend to come back.

"Why do you wait?" Zecora asked, "Surely you have something else to do today?"

"Not anymore," Forge said, "how are Cloak and Blend?"

Zecora smiled, her eyes gazing at the two snoring changelings that were Cloak and Blend. It was an odd miracle that a zebra had taken pity upon them. Surely, she would have thought they were the enemy. However, despite the current situation, she had taken it upon herself to care for the gang of bounty hunters.

"Your mates are doing well, but yo do not look as swell."

Forge gave chuckle, "Well that's one thing I we can agree on. It's been...well...hard the last couple of days. I've been going through a lot, and I don't know how to sort it all out."

Zecora went back to the kitchen, and took out a steaming broth of stew. Offering it to him, Forge gently declined. "I don't feed on normal food miss."

"Ahhhh but this stew is no normal brew."

Forge was about to argue further, but seeing as the Zebra had been such a good hostess already, he accepted the soup without further argument. Instantly, the soup burned down his throat and mixed with his gut. His body went into a temporary, trance-like state of euphoria before relaxing in a more meditative tone. The worries plaguing him now cleansed of his mind, Forge merely sat back and took a nap.

-----------

The Matriarch continued to wheeze and gasp in agony as the surges continued. She was writhing in pain. A hopeless creature derived of any sanity or will to go on. It was a punishment that she could not escape. It was an agony like no other.

Suddenly, a wave of euphoria rushed through her veins and she heaved a sigh of relief. The pain subsided and she could finally see that she had sprawled her form over the throne room. Getting up, she turned to see her chambers devoid of life.

And that was when it hit her. The euphoria was a sign of a burden being lifted. A burden that she couldn't afford to lose. And that burden...was the colonies themselves.

--------

Reflect had managed to find sanctuary in a torn-up bookstore. Based on most of the prices, he would say that whoever had previously inhabited this area was fairly dim-witted in business if he thought he could get away with these prices. However, a blast from outside reminded him of his duty.

"Zeth," Reflect said, "guard the entrance with Vapor, I have to attend some duties and I'l need a perfect connection to do it."

Immediately, the two changelings rushed towards the entrance, where they kept a watchful eye over the block ahead.

Taking in a deep breath, Reflect closed his eyes and began to concentrate. His mind slowly began to empty itself until it was as clear as purified water.

Contacting Generals

The usual buzz of communication was silent.

This is Reflect, I am contacting all Generals! Major invasion in Ponyville district be advised.

Nothing.

What's going on out there!? Reflect slammed his hoof against a shelf, toppling it over the floor. The generals were not responding. So either they were dead or occupied. But occupied with what?

-------

One by one, icy-blue eyes dissolved out of the shadows, surrounding a cowering Matriarch. It was a night sky of celestial stars that came from all directions. And they were all darted at her.

The Matriarch could only watch the shadows move as a whole, the darkness eating more and more of her throne with each passing step.

There was no exchange of words. No last goodbyes. No angry shouts and accusations. The Council had decided as one, for perhaps the first time, to do what they were about to do.

She wouldn't be able to stop them. Her power had been greatly reduced to about the strength of the common drone. And even if she did have her powers, how could she stand up against an army of highly trained generals, colonels, and centurions?

No. She knew what to do next. After giving one more glance at the incoming army, she closed her eyes, and waited. A rush of emotions circled her as the shadow grew ever closer. But in the end, they were just her emotions. And now it was time to face the consequence of power.

--------

Thresh woke with a start, causing Forge to slip out of his chair and onto the floor. Looking around him, he could tell he was no longer at the mercy of Double. However, he could also see that this entire hunt hadn't been some nightmare he had just woken out of.

"Thre-Thresh?" Forge yawned.

"Morning Forge," Thresh replied groggily, "what the buck happened?"

Forge raised a brow at his friend before explaining the events of the last week. "...and then we were attacked by those two guards."

"And how did we get here?"

"General Reflect found our group and brought us here. As for what happened afterwards...well..."

As Forge began to explain the events that happened afterwards, Thresh could only widen his eyes in shock. Not only had the prisoner been a second-in-command, but he was also a ploy developed after he left the hive for the colonies! He couldn't believe it! The nerve of the Queen always surprised him. Many changelings never knew what it was like to be the High-General. From what he had once heard, the new High-General was a wack-job. But then again...

"So what's next Thresh," Forge asked.

Thresh thought for a good minute or so. With the kind of chaos going on, it would probably be better to leave while the going was still good. But then again, Double was alive. The little changeling he had pained himself to watch. The changeling he thought was gone. The only reason he had spiraled himself into this hole of self-pity. It seemed almost ironic that she got his job afterwards. That she had won the position of High-General by playing with a thing that was non-existent in a changeling. Emotion.

But emotion was in a changeling. Sure, they tried to repress emotion in the military through rigorous training and countess covert ops. However, no changeling was ever truly spared of an emotion. All changelings had emotion, but some let their emotions guide them. Some couldn't just take what the law said and use it as a basis for showing loyalty.

Double was that kind of changeling. At such a young age, she had been thrown into two worlds, and so had two codes to look at. She was given a choice that no other changeling had ever had in their life. And she had chose her adopted parents over her true family. What did that say about the Swarm?

If any of the other changelings had been the same choice, would they have abandoned the swarm as well? Had the old ways faltered so much in a world that was radically undergoing change after change after change? Thresh wanted to leave, to return to the life he had made for himself. But he couldn't return. He couldn't go back to the colonies. Perhaps the answers to his questions could be answered by Double.

"We need to go back to Ponyville." Thresh finally concluded out loud.

"What?" Forge stood up, eyes wide, "It's a war zone down there! We can't just head back there after finally healing from our injuries."

Thresh locked his eyes with Forge, who stood perfectly still. "Forge, let me ask you something. Have you ever wondered why things are the way they are? Have you ever asked yourself if your'e seeing the whole story?"

"I don't need to see the whole story."

"Well now is one of those few times you get a choice in this. You can go back to the colony and stay there, or you can come with me and find some of those answers. The choice is yours."

Forge was flabbergasted. He had never heard Thresh talk like this. He regarded his situation and it took only the curiosity of discovery to make him nod his head and followed Thresh out the door.

------


"Oh dear Chyrsalis I'm dead!" Morpheus screamed as another blast collided with a wall. He had managed to crawl under a table, unaware at how doomed he already was. The blasting continued for another moment before it seemed to subside.

Thank you. Morpheus breathed in before peeking through the covers. The mares had managed to take out an entire army! The only survivors left were cowering in the shadow of a yellow pegasus of all things! If Morpheus had still been the Commander, he would have stomped those fools for surrendering to the enemy.

As he gazed on, he suddenly saw a flash of green and a unicorn vaguely resembling the Element of Magic popped out. On either side of it was a ragged old doll and in the other, the motionless General-

"Carbon!" Morpheus almost screamed.

Based on the green aura used to carry both objects, he could tell it was a changeling of some sorts. However, why and how they defeated Carbon was a complete mystery to him. But then again, it could just be that this changeling still honored the Commander's rule and simply took it upon themselves to deal out justice.

"Well it's too bad I'm not a Commander anymore," he sighed.

From what he could tell, General Carbon was going to be executed back at the swarm. It was a shame. As much as he hated the general, the Commander still had respect left for him. But the punishments in the swarm were severe and final. He could do nothing to save Carbon now.

“Are you High-General Double? I bet you are!” the one known as Pinkie seemed to squeal, “Welcome to Ponyville! I’m Pinkie Pie!”

“Hi, Pinkie Pie! And Fluttershy, too!” the newcomer replied happily, looking at the pegasus. “I’ve been waiting to meet you two for so long! But that’ll have to wait; I have other things to attend to right now.”

Morpheus jerked back against the table, banging his head on the side. Holding in the tears threatening to erupt from his eyes, he continued to listen in, his thoughts buzzing with so many questions he could barely keep track. Double was here? The High-General was working with ponies? She owns a doll?

Double turned and poked Mirror in the forehead. “You, change back into that other form you’ve been spending the past week in! I want to see it!”

Morpheus' mouth was wide open. Another changeling!? How many traitors were there in this swarm? And how did he not see this one coming at all? This was like one of those shockers where the main character gets betrayed and stuff. Or it's one of those movies where the second-in-command gets betrayed and shot in the face. Hopefully, the former only existed in the movies.

In a second, the white pegasus was now a familiar brown pony he knew quite well. Despite the fact he was witnessing an actual changeling, Morpheus still had a fangasim. In fact, it was a miracle he had managed to keep in all the noise to himself.

"It's Daring Do!" He hissed joyfully, "I never thought I would see the day where I would meet Daring Do in person. I mean this is like a dream come-"

BOOM!

The cannon went off, sending a projectile of cake batter and frosting at Morpheus, who stared wide-eyed. "Oh son of a diamond dog-"

BANG!

The impact sent the changeling flying into the rubble, before a veil of darkness surrounded him and all was black. Meanwhile, another unicorn appeared from the side, her eyes gazing at the frost-covered former Commander before her.

Why do I even bother with these fools Queen Chrysalis thought maliciously. Well, you've failed me yet again Commander...

But Morpheus did not give a response as his still form laid motionless among the rubble...