• Published 2nd Feb 2015
  • 7,016 Views, 193 Comments

The Devil Inside - Chelis



The permanent opening of the portal between Equestia and the alternate human world allows Sunset Shimmer to use her magic again

  • ...
27
 193
 7,016

Another Life

"Going to see the Fertility doctor again. Made you some Lobster Alfredo and a small helping of fixings. Don't order pizza again, or you're grounded."

Sunset took a look at the text message and smiled.

Tonight was the night if the appointment was not canceled. She had an urge and was going to go far to fulfill it. Since she first landed in that world, she had longed of returning home. Even when the portal was opened permanently, she still couldn't go home, or in fact, she didn't want to even if her her heart yearned to return. But, there was a place she could go instead.

She looked around the classroom. It was test day, and everyone was down on their own papers, filling out their answers. Twilight was next to her, having already finished the Pre-calculus test in three minutes. Sunset looked down and realized that she had filled out her answers deep in thought.

She took one glance and saw that all of them were correct and she had shown her work as the teacher directed.

Sigh.

* * *

Sunset returned to an empty home, again. It had become more common now, which she didn't particularly mind, believing that it was because her parents were more trusting of her to make sure the house didn't blow up while they were gone. It had advantages, like being able to walk around her home naked for hours at a time.

She went straight to the kitchen and tossed the pasta,string beans and garlic bread in the microwave. When she set the timer, she stood in the hallway, keeping an ever vigilant watch on the driveway. It was one thing to order food while Hazel's food sat uneaten, it was another to throw it in the microwave instead of reheating it. Microwaving Hazel's food was a death by strangling sentence.

Once it was ready, she raced to the kitchen to put it out of the Tupperware, tossed the food on a plate, washed the Tupperware and threw them in the dishwasher with a few clean pots and pans to make it look like she did reheat the food.

She went upstairs, did her homework, and waited for the sun to go down. Winter was rapidly approaching, so by the time she has changed into her all black cargo pants and turtleneck, it was dark. All that was left was to transform to The She-Demon form and fly off into the chilly night.

***

She flew south, well away from Baltimare, and to the City of Canterlot. Sunset always found it weird that the high school was named after the city that was not even close to it, but she shrugged.

When she saw the house she was looking for, she circled it a few times to see if anyone was on the flat roof, which the owners of the house thought to turn it into a garden. She slowly and silently dropped in. hiding in some bushes as soon as she turned back to her human self.

With a pair of binoculars, she peered into the dining room of the house across the street and saw a four-member family enjoying a delicious dinner delivered to them by a troupe of well-dressed, well-mannered butlers.

They were all in their Sunday best as the began to eat. The father, a balding, middle-aged man with yellow hair, tan skin, opal eyes, and a goatee. He was her father, and although she never was close to him back home, there was that level of respect that was expected of a father-daughter relationship.

To his right on the dinner table was her beautiful mother in a velvet red dress, Sunshimmer. With the exception of her father's streaks of blond hair and eyes, she was almost like her mother. She had her red hair and her amber skin. They were close, but not enough where Sunset would stay in the pony world on her last night there.

Then there was her… Or this world's version of her. She had the same look, same everything… Only happier it seemed. Just like Sunset, she was savagely tearing into the t-bone steak that was in front of her, a stark contrast to the prim and proper white and pink dress she was in, something Sunset would normally have reservations dressing in unless the situation called for it.

The fourth person sitting at the table was a surprise to Sunset, and it made her feel heavier and a bit sad. She was younger, had Sunset's mother's red hair and skin, with her father's eyes. Sunset knew it when she laid eyes on her: she had a little sister back home who she had never met.

The family dinner was like the ones back home, but happier. Instead of her parents lecturing her to be better, these parents from that world were not being like her parents. Every time her parents spoke, Sunset and her little sister would laugh. It was a loving, supportive, and kind family, something Sunset didn't have when she grew up.

"Something bothering you? You are quiet for once." GLADIS asked.

"It's nothing, it’s kind of something you don't understand."

"I have seen you transform into a flying creature. What's one more supernatural thing to overload my database."

Sunset sighed. " I don't know, it's this whole 'having a little sister I have never met' business. I mean, I was an only child before I went to this world, and now there's a chance there's another person in my family that I have never met. But, I know I can't meet them, even if I miss them and want to go home to see them again."

"I can't calculate a reason why you can't go home for a bit."

"I know that if I do, I would want to stay. I would leave everything behind and try to rebuild what I lost back in Equestria, but I know I would be hurting people I love here too. Let us not forget that my father needs me more than he is willing to admit, especially with "The Family" declaring war."

"Sunset, what if you were to return after you deal with them?" GLADIS suggested.

"I think I'm going to go with that, a little daycation. Anyway, let's go home," she smiled.

She disappeared from the bushes and reappeared as The She-Demon on the roof. She turned around to take one last view of the dining room. It turned out, she was being watched by herself, a look of wonder and awe. Pretty soon her sister looked to what Sunset was looking out, pointed to her and said something in excitement. Her parents joined in and they watched her as a family, what was supposed to be her family. All Sunset could do was give them a wry smile, do a thumbs up, and fly off into the night, heading home.

Author's Note:

I have a skype group for fans, writers, and editors. If you want to join the madness here is the link https://join.skype.com/MkJbzfI1D8o2