• Published 2nd Feb 2015
  • 7,006 Views, 193 Comments

The Devil Inside - Chelis



The permanent opening of the portal between Equestia and the alternate human world allows Sunset Shimmer to use her magic again

  • ...
27
 193
 7,006

Gravedigger

Sunset Shimmer looked out of her window on a rainy Saturday, the winds were on and off, and it looked downright miserable.

It's like poetry.

Sunset had a pair of jeans and a jacket when she left her room and eventually her empty house, through the back sliding glass door. She hopped over the brick wall to the alley, where she had her hoodie to cover her head. It was a longer walk to the bus stop from just going outside, but there was a price for getting caught, no matter who was probably keeping an eye on her, either being friend or foe.

It was also why she took the bus instead of a taxi or a ridesharing app since both left a paper trail. She waited in the bushes near the bus stop, waiting to see the bus in the distance before stepping out. She did when it arrived and took it to the city.

The rain did not let up when she arrived at the bus stop by the city's cemetery, still keeping a lookout for surveillance. She quickly wandered into a gas station parking lot, where she was relieved that the woman's restroom was unoccupied.

It was dirty, the floor was messy, the walls, and the mirror was tagged permanent marker. It seemed a good enough place to put the plan into action.

She raised her hand to the air and sighed.

Hope this works.

She snapped her finger, and she once again disappeared into the opal orb, when it faded, the jeans and hoodie were now an elegant, lacy black dress, black gloves, and a black sun hat. Her hair was straight, its crimson and yellow hair replaced with a lighter and darker shade of brown, her eyes were brown as well. Her hand had a black umbrella.

She left the bathroom, opened her umbrella, and walked in the rain She crossed the street to the front of the gated cemetery, and saw the second part of the plan, the small boy selling bouquets of flowers. She bought 2 dozen roses and one individual one. Her first stop was well away from the eyes of the funeral taking place. The two marked graves in front of her were her father's parents; Spring Rain and Power Breeze. She never got to meet them, but was grateful that they raised Thunder to be the father that Sunset needed in her most time of need.

She placed the two bouquets of roses on each of their graves and gave each tombstone a kiss.

Thank You.

With her one loose rose, she moved on to the funeral on the other side of the massive cemetery, passing by the many rows of tombstones, obelisks, and mausoleums. She often thought how many ended up here, especially the ones with just one date, with the name of "baby"

***

Sunset arrived at the funeral, the only one going on. The lingering feeling of guilt was barely survivable, seeing the crying, the grief. She felt like she had failed all of them, failed to bring their kin from the brink of death.

The priest was in the middle of a verse, the brown casket still above the ground for all to view. A wreath with a picture was next to the priest, looking over the ceremony taking place. It was an older picture on a frame, one of a teenage masquerade, unmasked in a button up shirt and jeans posing next to an old house in the old country.

Under the watchful eye of two prison guards, Lizzie was there. She was holding an inconsolable older woman along with Montana, who Sunset presumed was their mother. The old woman cried and had outbursts in a foreign language that Sunset did not understand. As the funeral continued, Sunset walked up to the casket and placed her rose on top of the casket, which already had roses piled on top from everyone else.

"I'm sorry, I hope you are at peace, wherever you are," She whispered before bowing her head and having a moment of silence as a sign of respect.

The priest finished, which was the cue for the casket to finally be lowered.

"Il mio piccolino! Il mio piccolino!" The old woman cried over and over. As the lowering of the casket ended, the old woman hobbled over to Papa, who also was in tears watching his oldest son be lowered to the ground. She continued to wail, while her husband held her. Montana had his arm over Lizzie, the siblings wiping back tears with black handkerchiefs.

All the while, Sunset watched on with the gut-wrenching guilt that somehow, she was responsible for his death.

***

When the ceremony was over, it was time or Lizzie to return back to confinement. The advantage of having money was affording really efficient lawyers, who convinced the judge that she needed to be in a mental institution instead of prison. So, her orderlies and a member of the baltimare police watched on as Lizzie said her goodbyes to her family before stepping into the back of the van. Montana helped his mother back to the limousine, leaving Sunset and Papa alone in front of grave

"You one of his 'girls'?" he asked.

"What?"

"I know my son liked to fuck, got himself in trouble doing it back home. I knew he liked it young, but not as young as you."

Sunset smiled and kept her face straight, "I'm not underage if you are thinking that way."

"He was my boy, I wouldn't care either way," he replied, wiping a tear.

"I don't know if a strangers sympathy means anything, but I'm sorry for your loss," she said.

"Thank you, child. You don't have to be sorry. Only Thunder."

"Excuse me?"

Papa began to get angry, the wind starting to pick up as well as the pain. "Police killed my boy, they are going to pay for what they did. If they want a war, they got a war."

He started to walk away, but Sunset couldn't stop with just that cryptic remark. "what do you mean?"

Pappa turned around and smiled. "Eye for an eye, child for child."

Author's Note:

I have a discord group for fans, and people who want to help edit. If you want to join the madness here is the link https://discord.gg/uAk5aAP