• Published 30th Nov 2014
  • 1,170 Views, 29 Comments

The Story of Gigi - SteelChords



How the stallion named Syx String came to be the mare she is today.

  • ...
2
 29
 1,170

Syx String

I walked out of the Everfree Radio studio headquarters one Tuesday night. It was another successful show that night. We'd had about 40 to 45 viewers tune in, so our viewership was starting to climb week to week. I was feeling good about myself. I'd helped a lesser known musical artist gain a bit of a larger fan base than they'd had the day before, and all the other hosts seemed to really enjoy the song I chose to feature. I even made the other hosts laugh pretty hard a few times. Granted, Slyph seemed a bit peeved that I had made a bad pun out of his name again, but he knew it was all in good fun. Overall, it was a pretty successful night. So, with that in mind, I decided to go to the local ice cream parlor and reward myself with a double scoop cone.

I walked down the street, glancing around for a sign of anypony else that might be out this late. Unfortunately, it was surprisingly quiet that night. As opposed to most nights, everypony seemed to be inside either sleeping or doing whatever ponies do in their homes at night. I kept walking, hoping I might see someone walking home that might want to join me for ice cream. There was not much going on at the time. Luna had made another incredible night sky that night. The stars were just visible to where it almost looked like the moon was a comet shooting across the sky. Luna had definitely outdone herself.

As I kept walking I couldn't help but feel like I was being watched. On numerous occasions I stopped and looked around expecting to find a pair of eyes looking back at me, but each time I was let down. Yet as I continued walking, I could swear I felt a pair of eyes burning a hole in the back of my head. With this thought in mind, I continued to hurry to the parlor.

Soon enough, I was standing outside the front door. I looked up at the sign above the door: "Frosty Cream's Ice Cream".

"Ahh, good times." I said to myself before walking in.

"Hey, Syx! Nice to see ya! How'd the show go tonight?" Frosty greeted me as I walked to the counter.

"Hey, Frosty! The show went great! Had a ton of fun, and I think we got some new weekly viewers!" I replied. She always liked to hear about the show, since she was always asked to work when we would be on the air.

"Well, that's always good! I'm guessing you're here to celebrate then?" she asked with a smile.

"Yep, can I get a double scoop of Rocky Road?" I asked.

"You got it! One double scoop of Rocky Road cooooming up." she replied cheerfully.

I decided to sit down for a second while I was waiting. I noticed a table over by the window and decided to take a seat. It wasn't long after I sat down that I noticed a familiar, white coated, clay-color maned, pegasus walking down the sidewalk towards the parlor. The bell rang as the front door swung open.

"Hey Syx! What's up!" called my co-host Starlight. I was surprised he wasn't at the bar. He always went there after Tuesday night shows.

"Hey Starlight! What are you doing here? I thought you'd be at the bar." I replied.

"Normally, I would be, but apparently there was a massive fight that broke out over there while we were doing the show tonight, and the owner closed down early to clean up the mess." Starlight said, disappointed. "... and I didn't really feel like going home just yet, so I figured I'd come here."

"Ok, well, I'm just getting a double scoop cone to celebrate a good show tonight. You wanna join me?" I asked.

"Yeah, sure. Sounds like fun." he said. While doing so, he decided to order a desert for himself as well.

Pretty soon, both of our orders were ready, and all three of us sat down at a table to talk about how the show went. We all laughed while we ate, and I nearly made Starlight choke on his dessert with one joke, and Frosty fell out of her chair a few times. I was glad that we were the only ones in the parlor at the time, because there would've definitely been ponies looking at us like we were crazy if we weren't.

"Ha ha ha. Oh yeah, and that pun you made out of Slyph's name! Oh man, that was priceless!" Starlight said, laughing loudly.

"Wait, wait, what pun?" Frosty asked, gasping for breath.

"Ok, ok" I said, catching my breath for a second. "So, during preshow, we started randomly mixing band names together, and I came up with, if you combined Rush and Slyphstorm, you'd get Slushstorm." I said, and we all busted out laughing again. Frosty fell on the floor and started rolling on her back, and Starlight put his face down on the table and started hitting the tabletop.

"Oh man, he must not have been too pleased with that" Frosty said between laughs.

"What? Naw, it's Slyph. He's a good sport. He was laughing along with us." I reassured her.

"I don't know. He did seem like he was a bit peeved at that pun at first." Starlight said.

"Naw, come on guys. It's Slyph. He knows I didn't mean anything by it. I was just messing with him." I said, hoping that I had reassured them. They both shrugged and kept laughing as the clock chimed 2am behind them.

"Woah. Completely lost track of time. I should've closed up by now. Sorry guys, looks like we're gonna have to continue this conversation some other time." Frosty said.

"Yeah, I should probably get home too. I gotta get up for school tomorrow anyway." I agreed.

"Aww, come on guys. You're killing my buzz." Starlight replied, clearly sober. "I've got nowhere to be tomorrow, why can't one of you stay up with me?"

"Sorry man" I said, trying to sound apologetic "If it were a Friday or a weekend, maybe, but not tonight."

I made my way to the door before suddenly remembering, "And by the way, don't forget to bring the tacos for the show next week. We can't just skip Taco Tuesday again because you forgot them."

"Ok ok! Trust me. I'll remember them next week!" Starlight replied, jokingly annoyed.

"Ok then. G'night guys. I'll see you later." I said, waving as I walked out the door, and back out to the empty streets. It wasn't until I was a block or so away from the parlor that it hit me how long I was in there. The moon was just starting it's descent from the center of the night sky. My eyes and legs were starting to feel heavy, and my vision started slipping in and out of consciousness. Geez, I was not a night owl.

"Ugh, hopefully I can make it back home before somepony looks at me and thinks I'm drunk." I muttered under my breath. The good thing was that I didn't live far from the ice cream parlor. The bad thing was that I practically collapsed as soon as I made it to my front door. Since Equestria has typically had an almost non-existent crime rate for the last few centuries or so, I used to just leave my door unlocked all day and night. It definitely came in handy that night, because I was too tired to check myself for a key that I'd likely left inside.

I stumbled through the doorway and climbed the stairs to my room. I threw myself down on my bed before realizing that I still needed to brush my teeth. I wouldn't be able to defend myself if I were to run into Colgate tomorrow if I didn't brush. Groggily and half awake, I trudged over to the bathroom to get my personal hygiene over with.

In my barely conscious state, I thought I heard a noise come from downstairs while I was brushing, but since I was too tired to care, I told myself it was just the wind. I mean, why would there be anypony downstairs anyway? I lived alone, and I tell my friends that I don't like late night surprise parties. Can't tell you how long it took to engrave that into Pinkie Pie's head.

Anyway, I finished up brushing my teeth, returned to my bedroom, and proceeded to "trust fall" onto my bed. Soon enough, the soothing feel of the warm sheets persuaded me to give in to the exhaustion, and I became a sleeping rock.


The sun shined through my window as the sound of the birds chirping outside finally forced me back to consciousness. I knew the sun was shining right through my window on my face, so I didn't open my eyes just yet. I slowly sat up in bed, before realizing I had a bit of a headache. I rested against my headboard while I rubbed my head, but something wasn't quite right. Ignoring it, I proceeded to stretch out my legs a bit, groaning a bit while I did so.

Slightly alarmed, I froze mid-stretch. "Wait a second... why is my voice so high pitched...?"

A little cautious now, I climbed from my bed, and felt my way over to the bathroom. Something still wasn't right though. My legs didn't feel as bulky as they usually did, and my flank felt bigger for some reason. What was going on?

I finally made my way to the bathroom and walked over to the sink. As I continued to turn on the faucet and rinse my face out with water, I noticed my face felt different than usual. I was starting to get freaked out at this point. Instantly, I jerked my head up and my eyes shot open. I had to find a mirror. Looking over at the wall to my left I saw myself clearly for the first time. I had a blue bow in my mane, which had grown considerably longer than it had been the night before, and was wrapping around my neck. I had eyelashes that batted themselves every time I blinked. My muzzle was much smaller than usual, like that of a... "Oh no..."

I started craning my neck to try to look at the rest of me, which in turn made me start turning in circles. Everything was different than it was before. Then it hit me. "Is It still there?" I thought. I checked myself again. I was disappointed to find It missing. At this discovery, I began to hyperventilate. Sweat started pouring down my face, and my knees felt weak and wobbly, as if I was a newborn giraffe.

"No... NO... NOOOOOO!!!!" I screamed as the realization hit me. "I'M... I'M... A MARE?!"

I then proceeded to scream in a very dramatic way that kind of looked like this:

Author's Note:

I'm sorry Syx, but I'm not sorry xP