• Published 27th Apr 2012
  • 4,088 Views, 96 Comments

Ain't No Rest For The Wicked - GatheringFriendship



To Ponyville! The story of 5 stallions full of shenanigans… but with shipping.

  • ...
3
 96
 4,088

Chapter 2 - Avengers Assemble!

Crazy Train

The train pulled ever closer to Ponyville as the last few hours of the day passed slowly by. Our two misfits were oblivious to this, however, as they were too embroiled in their drinks and their conversation to even notice the transition from the depressing brown landscape to the luscious green of the outskirts of the small town.

~Satin~

“...So then, she threw me into the cellar all tied up, but the mare forgot something really, really obvious. I’m a bucking unicorn. I do what I bucking please! So I teleported myself out of there and half hopped/half dragged myself back into town. It was a good couple of hours before anypony found and untied me.” I said, finishing my exaggerated story-telling.

Ryku gave a toothy grin as he took another swig of the beer in his hoof. “...Heh, yeah? W-what happened t-to *hic* her then?”

“I wasn’t going to stick around to find out! I freaking skipped town that night!” I put on mock fear to add to the act.

“Sounds like ya had quite a fun time to me! Ugh...my head... I wonder how close we’re gettin’ to Ponyville?” The tipsy orange stallion asked.

My smile vanished from my face. “Who cares? It’s just gonna be another *hic* podunk little town, with the same distrustful and self-important ponies ---

I was cut off by the conductor. “Welcome to Ponyville! Home of some of the nicest ponies you’ll ever meet, and also home to the bearers of the Elements of Harmony! I hope you enjoyed your ride!”

I shrugged, “Touché conductor stallion, touché...”

Everypony else began to gather their belongings and lined up to get off the train. I sighed and decided to take inventory before I joined the rush. My saddlebags are filled with empty bottles... every single drop of anything that could possibly be perceived as alcohol has been drained... Except...

I turned to see Ryku with a few bottles left in his side-pouch.

A smile plastered itself onto my face.

~Ryku~

I sighed contently as I finished the bottle I had in my hoof. Tossing it into the nearby trash bin, I glanced at the small pouch on my side. “I still have four bottles left... should last me long enough...” I thought happily...

That was, until I saw the scariest face I’d ever seen Satin make as he lustfully stared at the bottles in my bag.

“S-Satin? No~...” I stuttered as he took a few steps closer. “No no no~...”

His demonic grin turned towards me, as he nodded his head. “Hey Ryku... whatcha got there?” He said in a evil sing-song voice, as he took yet another step closer.

“NO NO NO NO NO NO N--” I yelled, as I tried to bolt out of the room. Unluckily for me, my balance failed me, and I ran into the door frame. “...Ouch...”

Satin busted out laughing as he walked past me and grabbed a bottle out of my saddlebag.
“Thank you for your cooperation.”

“I... hate... you...” I said sarcastically, as I got up and shook my head a few times to try and regain my composure. “Better keep an eye on these last three bottles...”

We stepped off the train, laughing like idiots. It didn’t take long for the whole station to start staring at us, either. We just didn’t care. As it was, we were already tripping over our own hooves. If the laughing didn’t attract attention, the falling on our faces surely would.

We managed to stumble our way off the train station and began our journey into town. It didn’t take us long to figure out that we weren’t going to make it in this state. We crashed under a tree, waiting to sober up. I leaned against it trying to get trying to comfortable when I heard a familiar noise.

Kssssshhh

My gaze shifted over to Satin as he downed another one of my bottles of booze. My brow furrowed.

“Really? We’re trying to get into town, we can’t walk 3 meters without eating dirt, and you steal another one of my bottles of beer and drink it!?!”

“Hey! If I stop drinking I’m worried the cumulative hangover might actually kill me.” I can see his face turn into a mask of worry.

“I can’t tell if you’re kidding or not.” I shake my head.

“Me neither, and that worries me.”

“...Y-y-you’re an a-a-alcoholic, you know that?”

His eyes welled up and a frown appeared on his face.

“How dare you!” He threw his bottle dramatically away from me as he got up to walked away in his little huff only to stumble and ram his head gracefully into the tree. He fell to the ground holding his head in pain, as a bright yellow ball with a red star fell out of the tree and bounced away from it.

“You ok?” Ryku slurred.

Satin ignored the question as he stared intently at the ball.

“And what were you doing up in that tree my pretty?” He asked the inanimate object.

He slowly pushed himself closer to the ball with his back hooves as he reached forward pathetically with his front hooves. If there were anypony watching him, they would have surely busted out laughing, and I was no exception.

“Ha ha ha! Oh, sweet Celestia! You hilarious drunk, you make me giggle.”

He finally reached the ball and grabbed it with such excitement that you’d think he was a colt at Hearth’s Warming Eve. “It’s mine... IT’S ALL MINE!”

“You’re crazy, ya know that? Heh, well anyway. What now?” I asked, but stopped as I realized that the blue stallion had completely ignored me. “...Or, I could just, you know, follow ya around...that works too...”

His happy ass walked down the path towards town with me in tow. The ball floated around his head, completely surrounded in his magic. I could see his magic failing at points, dropping the ball. I could hear a faint fizzle as the magic completely gave out, causing the ball to hit the ground and roll away.

“You know, as often as I drunkenly do magic, you’d think I’d be better at this.”

“Jack of all trades, my flank!” I said with a little more venom than I would have liked.

He held up a hoof. “One sec, I got this!”

He half skipped, half trotted over to where the ball resided; picking it up with both hooves as he tried to balance it on his muzzle. After a couple minutes passed, his balance was perfect. I couldn’t tell if he was sobering up or by some miracle of the drink, he had achieved some nirvana type of oneness that can only be obta... He then fell back hard, sending the ball back into my general direction.

Well... that quashes that theory...

“Wait, wait, wait. This is gonna work!” He tried his hoof at it again, this time successfully balancing the ball on his snout for more than a few moments. “Ha ha! Booyah! I told you I could do it!”

He slowly got up on all fours as he took a few cautionary unsure steps forward with the ball still balanced on his muzzle. The concentration on his face is replaced with his stupid grin. Apparently, the ball was as creeped out by it as I was earlier that day as it nearly jumped off of his face in fear, but he wouldn’t let it go. He sped off after it, into the forest.

I shook my head and yelled after him, “You know, soon, it’s going to get a restraining order against you!”

“OH BALLS!” The drunken idiot must have hurt himself in some ridiculous way, and I missed it! Ah schadenfreude I missed my chance to enjoy you!

...and then the singing began... and I hate to say it, but he was actually okay... sorta...

“I’ve got a lovely bunch of bouncy balls, deedly dee.” He trotted out happily with two almost identical balls balancing on his nose.
“Here they are a balancing on my nose. Da da daaa”
“One star, two star. Both as big as my head.”
“Give em a bump,” he knocked both of the balls into the air and as they tumbled back to Equestrian soil, they bounced against each other, sending them in two totally separate directions. He dove to save one, and actually managed to catch it, but the other one bounced away, sad and dejected in its fate.

It glowed blue as it was dragged, kicking and screaming, back to Satin. His haunches hit the ground hard as he had a long glaring match with the starred balls. He rubbed his douchey little tuft of hair under his chin. His eyes brightened for a second as he held up a hoof and made an audible *gasp* before his eyes refocused and his hoof returned back to his chin.

“No, no, no. Getting Ryku’s help would be silly.” He mumbled to himself.

This spectacle had gone about as far as it could go... why did I choose to associate with him in the first place? Oh right... he's been the closest thing I’ve had to a friend in awhile... that’s a bit sad...

“I’VE GOT IT!” He broke my train of thought with his loud exclamation. I looked up to see him stand up and then pop up only on his back two legs, holding his front hooves straight out in front of him with the balls on either hoof. His ridiculous smile spread across his face once again.

“Ugh...Nothing good can come of this.” I thought.

Afternoon Delight
~Kairo~

It took me all buckin’ night, but I finally got the Clocktower all fixed up. “How in the hay does somepony get a doll stuck in the mechanisms of a clock tower, anyway?” That was only one of the several strange things I found inside the inner-workings of the tower, but the doll was one of the things that was actually causing the problem; it was stuck in between some gears. I also found a whole family of bats, a pair of sunglasses, and for some reason a wooden ladle... It’s been a long night...

As I walked out of the clock tower, I noticed that the sun was peeking over the tree line. “Well, looks like no sleep... again... for the third night...” I’m a very busy pony, and because of that, sometimes I have to skip sleep. I walked lazily back to my home with the weight of being awake for so long. When I arrived, I threw my tools into my shop, not bothering to put them in their correct place.

I went inside, layed on my couch, then turned on my radio. Unfortunately, I have the inability to fall asleep during any part of the day. My mother called it a “curse”, and lately, I was starting to believe her. After an hour, I was too tired to even comprehend the sounds coming from the rectangular box in front of me. My eyelids weighed heavier with every blink, until finally, I did something I would never have thought would happen. For the first time in years, I broke my “curse”. I passed out.

I was brought back to consciousness by my radio speakers blaring a rock song extremely loud. I had bumped the radio in my sleep, turning the volume to max. I scurried over to it and turned the volume down. Sluggishly, I walked over to a window, and looked up in the sky. The sun was high in the sky, but well before noon. “Couple hours?,” I thought, “I can work with that...’” I walked into the kitchen.

Now, my kitchen isn’t really all that much. A stove, and fridge, a four person table with chairs, and a sink. I went to the fringe and pulled out a leftover tomato and lettuce sandwich out from the back of it.

“Hmm... can’t be more than a few days old... close enough.”

I took a bite and figured it tasted safe. With the food in one hoof, I traveled back into the living room with my couch and went into the back room to wash up a little. I wiped my face after finishing my sandwich and went over to the window. Ponies of every size and color were walking the streets now and I could even see the merchants selling their things. Some were even starting to pack up...

“Wait a minute... they don’t pack up until later in the afternoon... Uh oh...”

Just then, something caught my eye. The sun wasn’t going up... It was going down! My eyes widened. I was late for my “storytime” with Big Mac’.

Swiftly, I ran into my work area and extended my mechanical arms from my backpack. “I really should make a name for this thing...”, I thought, but I knew now was not the time. Big Mac’ needed his plow in the morning, and It was already well past mid day. I used my arms to pick up the plow with ease, turning it upside down so I could place it on my back, but still using the arms to take most of the weight. I walked out of my shop and started to walk down the road to Sweet Apple Acres, only to be met by a group of ponies surrounding an obviously drunk blue stallion juggling some balls.

It’s not everyday that you see something like this in Ponyville, so naturally, my curiosity got the best of me. “What the hay? It’s on the way anyways. I might as well check it out...’”

A Little More Crazy Train

We join our actual band of misfits as they make their way ever closer to Ponyville. The night had been long and the train ride was time consuming, even though they were traveling ridiculously fast down the track giving our adrenaline drunken bodies it’s drug as the wind whipped through our manes.The music picked up in tempo and the bass boomed. The music they played gave them some much needed practice and they loved every moment of it. They ended up playing about six songs before the first sign of the town came into view along with the first signs of day. As soon as the train pulled up to the station they ended their final song and jumped off of the roof of the train onto the back ledge of the caboose.

~Dex~

“Well that was fun, I guess we should go wake up Torque before we go into town.” I walked into the caboose to see Torque sound asleep curled in the corner of one of the seats.

‘How to do this without pissing off one of my idols... hmmm...’ I began thinking to myself as Tim wandered into the train wagon looking to hurry the process of getting to the nearest bar, if there is one i may add.

“Dex, hurry up! We aren’t getting any older just sitting here.” He said impatiently.

I stared at him for a second, then shifted my gaze to Torque, then back to him. He followed my eyes and then a huge grin appeared on his face. When I didn’t move, he trotted over to Torque’s resting body and screamed in his ear. “Hey! DJ Freak, wake up!”

Torque’s resting eyes shot open, filled with anger at the tan pony standing before him. He sat there, staring daggers at Tim. ‘Shit, I better stop this before Tim gets his earth pony flank removed by a very angry pegasus’...

I quickly trotted over to Tim and put a hoof around his neck, “Sorry about that, Torque, but we came to tell you that we’ve arrived at Ponyville. I apologize about my drummer’s idiotic behavior. We’ll be on our way... See ya around.” The short, choppy apology was uttered hastily as I grabbed Tim and raced out of the train car.

A Painful Start
~Torque~

After being rudely awakened by Dex’s drummer, Dex and his band quickly exited the train. Still laying on the seat, I looked around for my saddlebag, but not before I looked directly into the sun. The light from the sun was blinding and I quickly shut my eyes. I groaned, feeling around for my shades to shield my sensitive eyes from Celestia’s ever radiant sun. I found them and slipped them onto my face, and then slowly, but surely, got up from my sleeping spot. I had a good 10 minutes before the train would depart. Left alone to my thoughts, I started to think about what this new town would bring for me.

I guess I’ve got a clean slate here. Time to start anew.

I openly sighed, the sound ringing out clearly through the quiet railcar. I stiffly rose to all fours, making a mental note to never sleep on a train again. I attempted to crack my joints, stretching all my limbs, but to no avail. I would just have to see if there was any sort of chiropractic place nearby that I could get adjusted. I located my saddlebag beside me and picked it up, going through it to make sure everything was there that needed to be.

Let’s see, anklets, check, headphones, check, bit pouch, check, and...

The last item I pulled out was a small picture. It was of myself, my brother, Spitfire in her uniform, and...my mother. The picture was taken 7 years ago, at the first Wonderbolts airshow my family went to. My father wasn’t in it, because he was behind the camera. Treble and I were so excited to have our picture taken with the captain of the most prestigious flight team in all of Equestria, and mom...well, she was just happy that we were all together and happy. This was my most prized possession, and the only item I owned that I would never be able to part with. My eyes were just beginning tear up when somepony spoke.

“Ahem, can I help you with anything, sir?”

“SWEET CELESTIA OF EQUESTRIA!!!!” I screamed as I flew up towards the ceiling, dropping both the picture and my saddlebag. I quickly wheeled around and saw a yellow earth pony in a conductor’s outfit standing in the doorway. He looked half-annoyed, half-alarmed.

“I’m sorry, did I startle you?” He asked in a sarcastic tone. He obviously wanted to head underway, and I was holding him back. I awkwardly landed on the floor, having pulled a muscle from moving so quickly. I shook my head.

“N-no, you just caught me at a bad time. I’ll just get my things and I’ll be out of your mane.” He rolled his eyes and left the doorway. I gathered up the picture and placed it gently into my saddlebag. I then retrieved my headphones, placing them around my neck, and slipped my blue anklets onto my left front leg. After securing my saddlebag back on my torso, I limped off the railcar. I bid the conductor farewell, who only huffed and briskly trotted back to the front of the train, and then clumsily took off into the sky, if only but a few feet above the ground.

“Now then...where can I find a place to get myself adjusted...hmmmm.” I scanned the small little town, filled with a rainbow arrangement of ponies, most of them mares. A few of the closer ones looked up at me with a strange look on their faces, as I imagine I looked very bizarre, what with my off kilter flapping and such. As I looked around, I saw what looked to be a spa.

Well, that’s as good a place as any. I guess I’m going to the spa.

And with that, I flew off towards what would surely be relief.

~Dex~

The walk into town was rather uneventful, but as we made our way in, the hustle and bustle of the quaint little village attracted our attention more and more. I was rather amazed from what I saw, but the weird thing was that most of the ponies I saw were mares and one or two stallions.

‘’Thats weird... At least that’s mostly what I’m going to have problems with” Tim looked at me.

“Hey Dex, what’s wrong? Mare got your tongue?” I glared at him.

“Shut it, Tim. you need to remember I saved your flank back there with Torque” Tim rolled his eyes and chuckled, we walked for a while looking around at all the stores and houses drawing up a small map in our heads until Nick, who had began to lead us around, turned and stared me directly in the eyes.

“What’s up Nick?”

He stared at me a second longer before saying, “grumble grumble.” Now I knew Nick for a long time and this is one of the weirdest things he does when he is hungry, he states what his stomach is telling him!

“grumble grumble.” He says with pleading eyes and a frown.

I stared back at my insanely hyper friend. “Alright, Nick, we’ll go get something to eat, as soon as we find one.”

I Immediately began setting my sights on the nearest food place. After all, we hadn’t really eaten since lunch on the day of the battle.

I glanced around the town and spotted a brightly colored building in the distance. I could scarcely read the sign from where I stood. ‘Sugarcube Corner must be a bakery. I can’t remember the last time I bit into any thing sugar filled’ I looked at my bandmates who stood looking at the beauty of the countryside. “Come on guys, lets go grab a bite to eat” I said pointing to the sweets shop.

My friends all agreed that this place looked like something that was fresh out of the oven but neither of us tried to take a bite, once we entered the building the smell of freshly baked cakes and other sugary treats filled our noses.

“Mmm this place smells like a wonderfully, joyous place if any.” Nick said with a dreamy expression on as he inhaled the scent of baked goods

I walked up to the counter and a pink pony trotted out of the kitchen with a tray of cupcakes balanced on her head, “Uhh, hello there miss I was wondering if....”

The pony stared at me and jumped with an enthusiastic gasp and ran back into the kitchen “Well that was unexpected” I said looking at the guys.

A big, toothy grin appears on Tim’s face, “Really? You’d think you’d be used to mares fleeing from your general direction!”

I shot him glare and returned my attention back to the counter, “What do you think that was about?”

I turned to the counter and rang the bell that sat on it, a pony walked through the kitchen doors with an apron on and said “Hello there welcome to Sugar Cube Corner, can I help you”

I smiled and nodded, “Yes, we were wondering if we could purchase one cupcake each.”

Nick sped up to me and stared at me with one of those “are you crazy” looks and he did say those exact words “Dex are you crazy!? One cupcake?!? Thats like nomming on a crumb!”

I sighed “I’m sorry miss, can we have a dozen of your cupcakes please?” The mare nodded and walked back into the kitchen, she came back a few minutes later with a box filled with twelve cupcakes

“Thank you mam” I said placing the exact amount of bits that were needed to be given for the box of the spongy treats, we walked out and ate our delicious treats after eating we sat around outside watching other ponies go about their business every once in awhile a mare would walk by that caught Jake or Tim’s attention and they’d make moves by yelling ‘hey sexy’ or ‘I’d hit that’ but the worst part is the fact that Tim would look back at me trying to get me to join in or laughing at the torture that he's putting me through, he then found a time to put me in a bad spot he saw a canary colored mare with three butterflies as her cutie mark and looked back at me “Hey Dex why don't you go over there and introduce yourself to that lovely mare over there.”
He said pointing to her, Jake looked back and saw the nervous flare on my face “Tim knock it off leave Dex alone.”

“What I’m trying to help him out by getting him to get a mare friend unless hes chicken” Tim then proceeded to make clucking sounds, I eventually decided in order to get him off my back I needed to do it “Okay Tim you can shut up now I’m going to talk to her.” I said standing up

“Oh look every pony, we have a bad ass over here” Tim said mocking me, I slowly trotted over to the mare looking back to see Tim’s douchey grin as he watched me walk up to her.

“h..h...hell.l.lo miss.”

The mare just looked at me with a extremely shy look, she looked even more nervous than I was.

“Uh I’m D....D..Dex and i just wanted to say hello and to introduce myself... um.” We stood there in silence for a minute or two until I decided that this was awkward as it could possibly get and it was time to head back to the guys.

‘Maybe I’ll have better luck later’ I thought to myself. “Uh... I guess I’ll be seeing you around.” I said with one of those really nervous smiles on, I backed away slowly starting off as she looked at me through her mane. I then turn and sped off towards my bandmates. Tim stood up when I got there and placed a hoof around me, “See now wasn’t that easy, how’d it go?”

“Well,” I began “it went pretty well even though she never said a word.”

“Wait, not even hello?” Jake asked

“No, I said hello and introduced myself but thats all she said nothing just stared at me with big nervous eyes”

“Better luck next time, lover boy.” Tim said sort of trying to cheer me up, after that all we did was sit there and watch more mares and stallions go about their business the entire time that canary colored mare just stood where I left her staring at me from afar as if she wanted to come over and say something but couldn’t bring herself to do so. We sat there a good three hours before something in the center of town was gathering everypony nearby so we decided to head in that direction.

We pushed through the crowd slowly as we heard the general of murmur of excitement grew as we got to the center of the group. A almost offensively blue stallion stood in the center. He stood on his back legs as he juggled a few strange balls as the towns ponies gathered to watch the rather hilarious sight. Except for one red stallion who just looked like he really didn’t want to be there.

Jake, Tim, Nick, and I stood a few feet away, I leaned over and whispered into Tim’s ear, “Do you think this guy needs some music?”

Tim nodded “Hey anypony got a banjo” as soon as Tim uttered the word ‘banjo” the blue colt shot him what can only be described as a death glare and began hurling every last ball he had at him. “Whoa shit!” Tim screamed running away like a mad mare as the blue stallion gave chase and screamed “ No more Banjos!”

Moving In
~Torque~

I trotted out of the spa feeling refreshed and renewed. The three mares who worked there were curiously similar, as if they were identical triplets. I didn’t think much of it, and they didn’t speak very much, they were mostly quiet the whole time. It was very relaxing, and my joints definitely weren’t complaining. Now that I was properly fixed, I decided to walk around town for a while. I planned on sleeping in the clouds anyways, so I had no need to search for a home just yet. My first thought was to go and investigate this Club Pon-3 that Spitfire had told me about, so that’s where I decided I would go.

And after about 15 minutes of wandering the streets of Ponyville, searching blindly for this club, I decided I would ask around, to see if anypony knew where to find it.

I’ll ask the first pony to cross my path, that way it will seem less awkward. I couldn’t help but scrunch my snout at how false that thought was, because asking random ponies for directions is always awkward. But I shook the notion out of my head. Not a moment later, a rather muscular white earth pony...no, pegasus, as I noticed the small wings on his back, waddled by, and I quickly hovered over to him.

“Excuse me, um, would you happen to know where I might find Club Pon-3?” I politely smiled after, hoping for an answer that would help, and not just be useless information. However, based on this pegasi’s looks, I expected the latter of the two. There was a moment of awkward silence, as he just stared at me almost blankly. Then he spoke.

“WHAT, YOU RAVE?!” The volume of his voice made me wince and cringe, but I was at least getting him to talk to me.

“Well, yes, but...”

“YEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!” He yelled, doing an over dramatic hoof pump and charging off in another direction, leaving me very confused and a little frightened. I sighed shakily, turning around to go look around some more. I ended up looking at a sea-foam green unicorn with a lyre cutie mark, who appeared to be laughing.

“What? Don’t blame me, he just kinda...”

“Don’t worry about it, that was Horsepower, he’s always been like that. Don’t worry about it. Hi, I’m Lyra, and I couldn’t help but overhear that you are looking for the club?” The friendly tone and pleasant voice of this mare calmed me down from the hectic encounter I just had. But the upfrontness of her question unnerved me slightly.

“Y-yeah, you heard right. I was told there was a DJ position open, and I was looking to apply for it.” I felt more confident that this unicorn knew what she was talking about, and so I felt more confident in her response.

“Oh, really? Cool. Well, you actually aren’t far from it here. If you head down this street and take a left, it’ll be at the very end of the row of houses.” I smiled at her, nodding my head in acknowledgement.

“Ok, thanks. My name is Torque, by the way, and thanks again for the directions. They were a big help.” I trotted off down the road after saying goodbye, and made my way towards the club.
Well, what do you know. There it is.

I thought as the building with a sign that hung over the door that read: Club Pon-3. Attached to the door was a note that read:

DJ needed. Ask the barkeep for Crystal.

I opened the door, and a wave of soft music washed over me, instantly putting my mind at ease. To the right, there were 5 or 6 ponies sitting at the bar, and the barkeep was cleaning a glass using his magic. In the middle of the room lay the surprisingly large dance floor, with the middle of the floor covered in illuminating floor panels. To the immediate left lay the impressive stage, lined with hundreds of lights and an amazing mixing station. I walked straight towards the stage, where, behind the mixing station, stood a mare looking at the selection of records.

I flew up behind her, took a quick look, grabbed a record, and placed it on the turntable. I took off my headphones, retrieved the wireless adapter from the compartment in the left earphone, plugged it into the jack, flipped a few switches, moved a few slider bars, and placed the needle on the record. Instantly, the club was filled with a trance-like net of notes and tones, and everypony in the club looked towards me. I unfurled my wings, using one to control the tone slider bars, and the other to spin the record, all while bobbing my head to the bass. Just as I was getting into a rhythm, and the comforting feeling of being behind the mixing station was coming back to me, the mare flipped the power on the soundboard, cutting off the music. I looked towards her, and saw that her face was wrapped in a mask of pure relief.

“Whoever you are, if you deliver music like that every night, you’ve got the job.” She had a big smile on her face, but my smile was much larger as I trotted over to her and gave her a hug.

“Thank you SO much, you have no idea what this means to me. I’m Torque, by the way. And I assume that you are Crystal?” She nodded slowly, as though she was trying to process something in her mind. Using her horn, she magicked the needle off of the record, and walked off the stage. After retrieving the wireless adapter for my headphones, I followed her. She walked into the office behind the bar, and as I walked past, the barkeep, and the attendants all nodded in approval. I couldn’t hide my smile as Crystal shut the door behind me.

“Ok,hold on. You said your name is Torque? You wouldn’t happen to be one and only DJ Freq Torque who works with the Wonderbolts, would you?!” She asked with a interested, yet perplexed face.

“Well, I worked with the Bolts, before...before I left.” I cautiously avoided saying the real reason for my being here. “But, yes, I am DJ Freq Torque. And I am here to start a new life. That is all that needs to be said right now.” Crystal’s face lit up with excitement as I finished, and she gave me a huge hug, just like the one I had given her. I could feel the tears on my shoulder, which told me that she was crying.

“Hou donph phnowf howf mmuff ffissf mmeennffs tooff uufffs.” She spoke into my shoulders and wings, rather muffled. I gently pushed her off, and gave her a big smile.

“I know, I heard that the club wasn’t going to survive without that other DJ, but now that I’m here, I can promise you that this club will not falter. Now, where can I put my stuff, is there like a locker anywhere?” She sniffed once, wiping her eyes on her hock, and gestured over to the cupboard in the corner of the office.

“That’s where Vinyl Scratch kept her belongings while she was working the stage. The combination for the lock is 6021. And thank you again, you saved us.”

“It’s no problem, and thank you, for letting me have the job.” I placed my saddlebag with my bits and my picture in the cupboard, and locked the lock. I smiled at Crystal as I walked out of the office, and sat down at the bar.

“So... you the new DJ?” The barkeep asked me, and I nodded. Using his magic to grab a bottle of apple cider, he set it down in front of me.

“But...”

“It’s on the house, a congratulatory thank you for the new DJ.” He poured himself a shot of AppleJack Daniels, and raised it up. “A toast, to the new DJ...”

“Torque. It’s Torque.” I said in response to his hesitation.

“A toast, to DJ Torque. May he prosper in his future performances.” The other ponies at the bar, as well as a watery eyed Crystal, raised their glasses in response.

“Cheers.” They all said, and then they all took a drink.

“Thank you, everypony. I won’t let you down.”

For the next few hours, myself, the barkeep, Crystal, and a few attendants all told stories and jokes, and for the first time since being fired, I felt like I truly belonged.