• Published 19th Nov 2014
  • 1,229 Views, 13 Comments

Derpy's bright eyed dilemma - GMSK758



After being picked on, and teased at work. Derpy becomes self-conscious. Can her pals cheer her up before she does anything rash?

  • ...
7
 13
 1,229

Chapter 1: Mail Party

Derpy drooled at the thought of food. Freshly baked muffins coverered with sugar and some frosting perhaps. Or a giant cake decorated with candies in the shape of letters made from Sugar Cube Cornor. These thoughts were cuasing a rumble in the stomach of the gray colored Pegasus pony.

Derpy Hooves is a female Pegasus. Her birthplace was the grand airborne city of Cloudsdale, but Derpy moved to the more rustic Ponyville to escape all of Cloudsdale's hustle and bustle. Derpy works as a mail carrier: flying all over Ponyville each week day delivering letters, packages, etc.

Derpy was loved by all. With her kindness, bubbly personality, and comedic timing. It was hard, if not impossible, to believe that Derpy wasn't the living embodiment of all things wonderful with the world.

She was a reletivly normal sized pony. She had gray fur, two wings, two beautiful yellow eyes, and a blonde colored mane along with a blonde colored tail. On her flank was a desgin of sevreal bubbles. These bubbles were her cutie mark. A cutie make can either represent a pony's talent, their destiny, or thier personality. In Derpy's case it represented her bubbly nature.

The sound of clopping hooves echoed through the afternoon air. The brisk scent of spring was pleasent to Derpy. It smelled of freshly blossomed flowers, and a distinct humidity that was pleasent only during the spring time. Not a single cloud was in the sky, and the sun had nearly set, turning the sky into an orange color.

Derpy continued to dream about delicous deserts, and accidentally bumped into someone. The gray mare was startled and hopped backwards. In front of her was a stallion with brown fur, and a brown colored mane and tail. His cutie mark was an hourglass: it was her friend, The Doctor.

"Ditzy! How are you? I haven't seen you for 6 weeks," the stallion stated. His voice carried a bristsh accent.

"Doctor, what happened? I thought we were going to the fair. And you never showed up. I was sad for an entire day," Derpy replied. She mumbled at that last part, hoping he wouldn't notice how much she had missed him.

"Ah yes well I got caught up with sevreal mishaps in Manehatten. Long story short I arrvied 6 weeks late," he explained with an embrassed blush.

"Oh good. I thought you didn't want to see me again."

The Doctor paused, "Why wouldn't I want to see my favorite assistant?"

"N-no reason. Anyway, I should get going, Doctor. I have a party to go to," replied Derpy.

"Can I come too, Ditzy? I can be your plus-one," he said with a wink.

Derpy nodded. She was thrilled to be with her old friend again.

Derpy, and The Doctor, started walking together towards the location of the event: It was a party to congratulate the hard efforts of the mail ponies, and their dedication to the craft of delivery. Derpy was thrilled to be coming to the party since it was her third year as a delivery pony, perhaps she would receive a speical reward for her three years? Maybe a raise, or a trophy? Excitement filled the head of the female Pegasus as she dreamed about her reward.

The two candy colored equines arrived in front of a two story wooden building that was painted white with stripes of blue. The building had sevreal windows, double doors built into the front, and a sign was placed right next to the building that read, "Post Office: Mail Party tonight!"

Without a second thought, Derpy and The Doctor both walked into the building. Inside was a room consisting of burlap sacks filled with letters, a counter with a bell placed on it, a set of stairs that was built into the north-eastern corner of the room, and a door that led to another room.

Both ponies walked over to the other door, Derpy turned the knob using both of her hoofs, and a loud boom of sound came rushing out from the other room. Inside about a dozen ponies were dancing to a music that appeared to be set to the highest possible volume. Neon colored lights were in a surplus as they added blinding flashes to the somewhat dark room.

Derpy walked into the party room with a smile on her gray colored face. Suddenly the music died down (it just so happened that Derpy walked in when the current song ended). The blonde haired Pegasus waved to all of the familiar ponies in the room: which consisted of ten fellow Pegasus, and two earth ponies. They all greeted Derpy with smiles, waves, and one said, "Derpy! Sup girl?"

The Doctor walked in behind his friend. He politely waved to everyone in the room, and was greeted with a few "hellos."
Loud music came back on. A catchy song started to play and caused the ponies to break into dance. Everypony was happy for the first hour.


"Cupcake, this is, The Doctor," Derpy explained. She was introducing one of her fellow mail ponies to the brown colored stallion.

Cupcake was a Pegasus like Derpy as well. She had cyan colored fur and a violet colored mane and tail. Cupcake had wings like Derpy, and also a cutie mark; a burlap sack full of letters. This pony was natural born mail mare. Cupcake could deliver more letters then any other pony in the shortest amount of time, and be positive she didn't make any mistakes. Though she made ocasnail mistakes mind you.

However, Derpy has never made a mistake when delivering a letter because she dosen't rush her work. However, often she can't meet time correctly. More then twice Derpy has arrived late to work, and arrived hours early. Impatient ponies complained sometimes. But the Post Office manger could never tell Derpy that others complain about her.

"Wonderful to finnaly meet you, Doctor. Derpy has told me so much about you," Cupcake examined him,"You're not as handsome as she had bragged about." Cupcake was famous for causing others social humiliation due to her always moving mouth.

The male earth pony blushed,"Why Ditzy I didn't know you considered me handsome."

"Hehehe I might have forgotten how homely you looked. It's been 6 weeks after all," Derpy replied. Her face was red now.

Cupcake giggled, "6 weeks? Umm Bright Eyes has been going on and on about you since the last Winter Wrap Up. So that makes it almost a year now."

Derpy's heart skipped a beat. Why did Cupcake call her that name?

"Bright Eyes, I had no idea. Maybe we can have dinner tomorrow," the British sounding stallion suggested. He blushed even more.

Derpy's heart skipped sevreal beats. Why were people calling her that naughty name? She felt bad and sad now.

Cupcake coughed loudly to gain attention. She signaled for everyone to listen. Then the Pegasus started to talk, "This has been a fun party. But now let's celebrate the best mail pony in the history of Equstria. And her name is, Bright Eyes!"

Loud screams were brought out in perfect unosin. Sevreal of the voices screamed, "Bright Eyes!"
No one noticed how distraught Derpy was.

"Who knew that our little mail girl was the only pony in existince to work three years in the art of mail, and never messed up where a letter or packge went. Let's give a big hand to, Bright Eyes!" Cupcake said. She cheered for Derpy, and was backed up by the crowd.

The Doctor chimed in, "And may this wonderful equine continue to deliver paper to all equines."

Cupcake clapped her hooves. She smirked, "Let's cheer for Bright Eyes!"

Sevreal more beats were skipped by Derpy's heart. She was dizzy.

"Bright Eyes!" cheered The Doctor.

"Bright Eyes!" cheered Cupcake.

"Bright Eyes! Bright Eyes! Bright Eyes!" everyone chanted in perfect unosin.

Their cheering become echoey, and became impossible to understand. Derpy's head stung with a rough pain that made it hard for her to keep her eyes open. Finnaly the gray pony allowed a tear to roll out of her left eye, it was unnoctied.

The cheering continued for a full minute. After it was done, Derpy explained how she was heading home early, "Tommrow is Friday .I have to work. So see you all later!" The pony walked out of the Post Office along with her plus-one.

Crisp night time air stung Derpy's eyes. She rubbed them, and sneezed: just allergies. But her heart skipped an occasional beat.

"I guess I'll see you tommrow, Ditzy. Thanks for bringing me along to the party," the earth pony thanked.

Derpy sniffed, "No prob, Doc. See you later!" She waved him off as they went separate paths.

Once he was far away enough. She started to think in her head. Why did you call me that awful name back there? Tears welled in Derpy's eyes as she remembered what everyone was calling her. Bright Eyes. The most hurtful thing anyone could ever say to her.

Bright eyes. Bright eyes. Bright eyes. Let's all cheer for, Bright Eyes.