• Published 19th Nov 2014
  • 1,229 Views, 13 Comments

Derpy's bright eyed dilemma - GMSK758



After being picked on, and teased at work. Derpy becomes self-conscious. Can her pals cheer her up before she does anything rash?

  • ...
7
 13
 1,229

Chapter 3: Batter in your eyes

Derpy handed a box of cupcakes to the current stallion in line. He smiled, and walked out of the store with his unhealthy order.
After being fired from her mail related job. Derpy was given a chance to work with Bonbon at Sugar Cube Corner.

"I appreciate you getting me a job here, Bonnie," Derpy thanked.

The beige colored earth pony deposited some coins into the cash register close to her. She turned and replied, "No problem, Derpy. So?"

"So what?"

"Give me the gossip about your date with The Doctor," Bonbon demanded.

"I snapped at him. Then I left in the middle of dinner."

Bonbon blinked. She had no response to that. Derpy is capable of anger? She hadn't known that.

Derpy continued, "Can I do any deliveries? I want to get some fresh air."

"Sure. Here, I need this box of cupcakes delivered to this hotel suite," Bonbon explained. She handed Derpy a box, and a strip of paper with the address printed on it.

Without hesitation Derpy took off. She soared high above Ponyville like a large gray bird. As she glided around, her stress eased a bit like a snake going through two rocks. With a breeze through her mane, and the taste of the spring in her mouth, she felt wonderful. Forgetting about last night's drama.

After locating the correct hotel from the air. Derpy landed carefully on the front steps and walked inside. She walked past the front desk, and went down the nearest hallway. Once inside she started to scour for room 23, as was printed on the strip of paper she used for guidance.

At the end of the hallway Derpy's uneven eyes spotted a door with the numbers '23' printed on it. She knocked and waited a reply.
The door then creaked open.

On the other side was a brown colored stallion with dark brown painted on his fur, tail, and mane. It was The Doctor. A heartbeat was skipped from both equines.

"Ditzy. You're delivering sweets now?"

Derpy was filled with sudden rage, she spoke through her gritted teeth, "Yeah. Turns out I got fired from delivering mail. So here I am."

The Doctor frowned sadly at her, "I didn't know," he paused, "Ditzy, can I apologize for my negligence?"

"Just pay for your order already!" Derpy shouted.

"Certainly," he replied. The Doctor handed her several gold coins, and grabbed his box of cupcakes. He then continued talking, "Anyway, I'm sorry I didn't realize 'Bright Eyes', was offensive to you."

The female Pegasus then simultaneously fake snorted and held back tears. She was in no condition to be talked to by him

"Ditzy I'm so so sorry. If you never forgive me I'll be ok with that. But I need one thing from you," he begged.

"What do you want?" Derpy asked bitterly. She just wanted to run away, and cry.

But her escape was stopped frozen when the brown stallion in front of her leaned forward. He smiled slightly, and kissed Derpy softly on her mouth.

While their disaster of a date last night was ruined by rumors, Derpy still blushed as she was being kissed. This single moment in time had been very bitter-sweet for her, like a mixture of sugar and salt.

"Ditzy?" The doctor asked.

Derpy started to cry and didn't hold back. Tears fell down her face just like how they fell last night. But now, it hurt worse because she was more confused then sad. Her vision became disrupted with water.

"I forgive you. But, I need to go back to work," she muttered through tears.

"Do... do you really forgive me?" The Doctor asked.

Emotions bubbled to the surface of Derpy's mouth as if they were material items, "Of course I do. I just need some rest."


Feeling hungry, Lyra the unicorn entered SuagrCubeCorner. Her stomach grumbled loudly and she had an annoyed expression painted on her face. Without hesitation she leaned towards a fake cupcake left on one of the displays. Drool rolled down her mouth as she didn't realize it was fake.

"Well, I never," Bonbon complained. She stayed at the counter the entire time watching as the teal unicorn prepared to eat a display.

Lyra blushed a little bit as she turned around and faced the worker, "Oh. Su'p, Bonnie."

"Lyra, you better not eat anything from there. Those are fake cupcakes."

"Yeah well I'm hungry. Anything on the menu?"

Bonbon tried to force comedy, "Plastic cupcakes are. So I guess you could say, I caked your hunger."

"Pointing out your flaws don't count as comedy. Anyway, we got real cupcakes? I'm pretty sure I had to see a doctor about those bad samples I got yesterday. They tasted like metal!" Lyra complained.

Bonbon sighed, "Nope. They were metal. The baker used your lyre as an ingredient"

The unicorn took this time to sit down on a nearby chair like a bipedal creature. She stroked her mane, and asked, "Did you order some cupcake batter two days ago?"

"Uh-uh. Looks like our deliveries were swapped. But why didn't you bring it back to me?"

"I didn't notice the address on the box of batter that I got in the mail. Derpy must have...." Lyra thought for a few brief seconds, "How could you tell it was my lyre?"

"We're friends. So I know everything about you," the earth pony blinked nonchalantly.

"Can I have food now?" Lyra asked. Her stomach growled even more.

Their conversation was cut short when the front door swung open and inside came Derpy. She looked downwards towards the ground as if looking for something missing from her. Though she was decent at hiding the simplest of emotions on a normal day. Her unnatural sadness acted as a sort of magical cloak that ended her friend's conversation right on the dot. The room's atmosphere resembled something of forced drama.

Scented spring clashed with the strong smell of baked goods creating a sort of unnatural mood. Derpy felt the need to yawn.

Lyra yawned along, "Hey, Derpy. You know you messed up a delivery."

Ignoring her friend, Derpy talked to Bonbon, "I need to go home. I'm stressed."

The beige colored earth pony suggested, "Why don't you go to a counselor? You're not your usual silf."

"What was that last word at the end?" Derpy asked.

"I said self. You're not your usual self," Bonbon answered.

Lyra butted in, "Seriously, go see a counselor. It's like you've got batter in your eyes."

"Did... you just call me. Bright eyes?" Derpy asked shocked.


You should have payed more attention back in school. You would have learned calculus and become a focused pony. You can't focus on anything without making a stupid smile followed by a dumb joke. Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!

"Derpy!" screamed Twilight Sparkle, a jack of all trades kind of pony who was acting as Derpy's counselor.

Awakened by this sudden screech, Derpy shook her head as if she was covered in something. Her left wing twitched.

The two mares were inside of a large tree like castle that was painted with purple and light blue crystals. Derpy laid down on a fainting couch colored rose red. Above her hang a chandelier, and surrounding her were books. Hundreds of books placed on large shelves that stretched up to the celling like mountains. Twilight, the pony in front of her was a violet colored female pony with beautiful eagle like wings, and a unicorn horn: she was a magnificent looking alicorn. Far better looking then simple Derpy.

"I was asking if you had any trouble sleeping the past few days," Twilight asked. She levitated a pen and notepad in unison while writing observations down.

"Just last night. No biggie. I had to wake up early anyway since breakfast is very important, so important," Derpy responded cheerfully.

"Is there any reason why you're not paying attention? Or looking me in the eye?" Twilight quizzed.

"Oh no! Your books are disorganized! You put 'Of mice and stallions', next to 'The rocks of wrath'!" Derpy lied.

Twilight spread open her eagle like wings like an alert predator, "This is awful. They should be organized in alphabetical order accordingly. Sorry Derpy, I need to get a diagram, and an extra pair of hooves. You go home and relax."

A twitch spread through Derpy's left wing. Relaxation was all that she needed.