• Published 19th Nov 2014
  • 1,229 Views, 13 Comments

Derpy's bright eyed dilemma - GMSK758



After being picked on, and teased at work. Derpy becomes self-conscious. Can her pals cheer her up before she does anything rash?

  • ...
7
 13
 1,229

Chapter 4: I'm too simple

"Alright, Doc. What did you do to Derpy?" Bonbon demanded.

The Doctor rubbed his head, and replied, "That's not important."

The two ponies sat across from each other at the corner table inside of SugarCubeCornor. Bonbon had noticed a major shift in Derpy's attitude when she was excused from work today. Not once did she happily smile at anything. Or greet customers with happy faces. Instead she worked with a wistfull face that displayed a sort of stress.

Bonbon had noticed this unusual behavior and realized there must have been some sort of huge event. If Derpy had gotten angry at The Doctor last night she would have worked bitterly. But instead there was an air of unhappiness surrounding her.

So Bonbon assumed The Doctor must have hurt Derpy a lot. Even though Derpy claimed she was the one who got angry in the first place.

"Spill the beans, Time Lord. What did you do to my friend?"

"I love her..." he muttered quietly.

"What?"

"I love her," he replied louder.

"No you don't."

The brown stallion glared daggers in response. "You have no idea how much I care for her."

Bonbon pounded the table, "Then how come she came back depressed after delivering you your order?"

"I don't know"-The Doctor put a hoof to his chin-"Maybe it's because I kissed her. She had an odd look on her face when she left the hotel."

"Wait. You kissed her? That's great news! She's never kissed anypony before," Bonbon thought for a second,"Wait. What did happen on your date with her? I don't have that many details. So fess up."

The Doctor paused. He looked about ready to cry when Bonbon mentioned the disaster of a date.


Bright Eyes. Bright Eyes. Three cheers for Bright Eyes.

Derpy's body shook as she waited in line to pay for her items. She had stopped by the Ponyville general store and picked up some items like a sturdy rope, a roll of duct tape, and a hook.

The inside of the store felt as sterile as an empty operating room. The lights above Derpy were florescent, and the inside of the store felt oddly cold even though outside was rather warm.

You're so great Bright Eyes. I hate and love you at the same time. I'm crazy for you. And you're crazy

"Miss? Aren't you going to pay for those things?" the mare at the counter asked.

Derpy nodded slowly, and walked over. After paying for her items. She left the store, and started to walk through town. Her left eye looking down while her right eye stared upwards.

The voices in her head were screaming.


"So. She was fired from her job?" The Doctor asked shocked.

Bonbon nodded.

"She came to me for help, and I offered her a job..... I felt bad for her, so I asked my boss to make her pay greater then mine."

The Doctor smiled, "That's very kind of you to do something like that."

Bonbon shrugged, she then frowned, "Yeah, well I don't think calling Derpy an offensive name, and then kissing her the next day was a very kind thing to do. What is wrong with you?"

There was a pause as The Doctor thought of an answer.

"Derpy is my irreplaceable assistant. I'm a traveling scientist, and Derpy assists me by going with me on missions, as I call them."

"Ok. Go on."

"Six months ago we were in my ship."

"Yes. It's called the Time And Relative Dimension In Space. Or, T.A.R.D.I.S for short, right?"

The Doctor nodded, "Correct. You see we were both sharing some banter, and the moment felt very odd."

Bonbon tilted her head in confusion.

"I had complimented how her mane looked. And she called me handsome," he explained. There was a smirk forming at the corner of his mouth as he had said the words 'handsome'.

"So. What happened?"

"I told her that I could never love her. And asked her to leave."

Bonbon's face became distorted with hate.


Oh Bright Eyes. Your simple pegasus wings could never compare to my beautiful alicorn wings. You're too simple. You can't even look a stallion correctly in the face. You're not even a princess.

"I'm too simple. I'm too simple. I'm too simple," Derpy chanted as she walked through the town.

Darkness had begun to fill the town as the crescent moon rose slowly like a snail. The air still felt warm, but the atmosphere around Derpy was hopelessly void. It was as if Derpy was casting a spell that made the area around her feel dead and lifeless. Often it was the opposite for Derpy. She would often bring warm happiness to the area around her. In fact, when Derpy stayed happy she would bring more warmth then the actual sun.

It's not like you have anything to live for. In a little while you'll have no money left, and you might have to live in a cardboard box. Simple Bright Eyes.

"Hey, Derpy! Sup?" Lyra the mint colored unicorn called out.

She trotted over to her gray colored friend, and walked by her side. She felt the void around the pegasus, and chattered her teeth briefly.

"So. You feeling better?" Lyra asked.

"Kind of. I'm going to do a small little project before I go to bed through," Derpy explained. She pointed to her satchel, and motioned for Lyra to open it.

After peeking inside Lyra saw a hook, a sturdy rope, and duct tape. She also saw a note written in red ink, or at least it looked like ink.

"So, are you going to go swinging or something?"

Derpy's right eye twitched, "Yup. Swinging."

Bright Eyes. Bright Eyes. Bright Eyes.

The two mares walked past SugarCubeCornor. Lyra noticed it was still open. Bonbon was probably still there. Then right at that moment Lyra looked at the note more closely and realized that some 'ink' had rubbed onto the hook. Ink can't do that.

Lyra's heart skipped a beat. She then said, "I'm gonna head home. You have fun with your swinging."

The unicorn walked away from Derpy, and waited until she had gone a fair distance from her. She then broke into a sprint, and ran right inside of SugarCubeCornor.

"Lyra. You look worried. Something up?" Bonbon asked.

"Bonnie! I need your help. It's Derpy. She's gonna do something bad," she explained quickly.

The Doctor asked, "What kind of bad?"

"Guys, she has a rope, a hook, duct tape, and a note written with... blood."

"She wouldn't," the female earth pony replied. Her face was painted with fear.

The brown colored stallion spoke up, "If we don't want anything to happen to our friend. We better go help her now."

The two girls blinked. They looked ready to cry.

"Now! We have to help her now!"


Bright Eyes. Bright Eyes. Simple little Bright Eyes, carrying your mail. Walking with two uneven eyes. Two simple wings, and a body that is gray. The time man kissed you, and you flew away.

Bright Eyes. Bright Eyes. Ugly little Bright Eyes. Only to be remembered by a note, stained with blood.