• Published 27th Apr 2012
  • 1,444 Views, 72 Comments

Collars and Cuffs Tailoring - Melancholy



Can Cuff Links make it in the cut throat fashion world? Can Rarity cope with competition?

  • ...
1
 72
 1,444

By The Light of A Thousand Stars

Chapter 12

Well this was different.
The traditional Canterlot Garden Party didn’t seem to have a shred of tradition left in it. Somewhere along the line Luna had gotten involved, along with a few friends she had made over the last year when enjoying her new found ‘night-life’.
The simple canapés and cakes had been replaced with three large full on buffet tables.
The normal classical band had also been replaced with a large stage, multi-coloured lights and large amplifiers dominating the group of rock ponies grouped in the middle, arranging and setting up their instruments.
About the only thing which remained the same was the guests. Still dressed in formal Canterlot fashions they began to filter in, taking in all the new sights and sounds. A few seemed pensive, Jet Set and Uppercrust both taking in the new décor and atmosphere with looks of confusion and worry.
Others seemed to embrace the change, with Fancypants leading a small group over to talk to the band before they began their set.

--------

Inside the castle itself, two very important ponies were making final preparations.
Celestia was simply flabbergasted as she regarded herself in the mirrors of her dressing chamber. The dress Rarity had made fitted like a second skin, apparently the fashionista had worked out without too much difficulty after receiving the dragon fire letter who she was really making it for and had compensated perfectly. The combination of the radiant dress with the inner light of the princess of the sun made for the picture of heavenly beauty, something truly fitting for a goddess, at least that’s what the label had proclaimed.
While showing off their respective dresses Celestia and Twilight had called in the others to see their complementing dresses and had been more than happy to offer Rarity, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy to personally accompany the princess to the garden party after seeing the designer’s stunning work. The four of them would make quite a stir, a gaggle of nothing less than angels descending on the gathering. The pastel princess giggled into her hoof, with the four of them looking so ravishing she may have more competition than just her sister by simple accident. Still, winning wasn’t everything, and she was overjoyed that the others seemed to have enjoyed themselves so over the course of the day, and looking forward to the night.

After checking out the dress the Sun Princess was to wear, Twilight had looked in her own box. The lavender unicorn had been bowled over at the stunning simplicity of her outfit, it suited her perfectly. A simple, straight, strapless number with just the right amount of sparkles around the edges. The crown of the piece though was two arrangements of moon garnets in the shape of the magical mare’s cutie mark on the flanks, their soft inner lights playing off the shimmering hems. The teacher and student had simply stared it in stunned silence, until Luna had walked in and collected both student and accompanying articles.
The moon princess lead Pinkie, Applejack and Twilight to her own preparation area, the four of them talking animatedly. Along the way they dropped the suit off in the adjoining room and went to beautify themselves before the party.
Pinkie Pie’s billowing ball gown had been given three shining broaches of moon garnets in the shape of balloons, which she found oddly hilarious. Applejack was stunned to find a simple necklace included with her sheer skirt modelled after the element of honesty.
All agreed though that the princess of the night looked by far the most captivating. A whole range of stones had been incorporated into the multi layered design so that each time the dark alicorn moved it appeared to show off a different phase of the moon peeking through her lacy flanks.

---------

Out in the garden the party was beginning to get into full swing. Fancypants was enjoying a soft rock number by the stage and many other ponies had taken to joining him on the dance floor. In another corner, the traditional croquet had been replaced with poker tables instead. The buffet table was crowded and the party was set with a pleasant atmosphere.

And then the princesses walked in.
Flanked on both sides by shining winged angels Celestia drifted down from the parapets amid the awestruck attention of everypony present. As the solar princess made greetings it also did not escape notice as Fancypants took this opportunity to escort Rarity out into the party in her own flowing while ensemble. The five of them then took up a position to the side of the stage making greetings and small talk to the other ponies in attendance.
It was barely noticed when Fluttershy snuck a chance to talk to the band.

The next big reveal though came in the form of three dark clad mares. Twilight Sparkle, marching alongside Pinkie Pie and Applejack made a dramatic entrance from one of the ballroom arches, drawing appreciative stares and the occasional cat call. Blushing furiously Twilight almost ran over to stand by Celestia, her friends in tow.

Then Luna walked in.
If Celestia could have unhinged her jaw she would have, for it struggled to hit the floor.
The princess of the moon was ravishing in her dark skirts, but on top of all that, she was stepping out, with a stallion, tall and dressed in matching shirt and tails with shimmering cufflinks.
Rainbow Dash chose this moment to almost have a heart attack.
“The princess came with him!?”
Fluttershy spared only a brief look of concern for her friend before turning her gaze back to the pair.
The two stepped out into the waiting crowds, making greetings and small talk before the stallion with the princess excused himself to approach the stage.

“So this is that new designer?” Rarity took him in. He had impeccable style she had to admit. A well designed suit and perfectly quaffed dark brown mane. His coat was a complementary lighter shade and his cutie mark, barely visible under the tails of his jacket.....
The alabaster unicorn let out a small gasp. A needle, with a multicoloured rainbow thread.

Cuff Links approached the microphone and cleared his throat.

“It’s an honour to address the Party tonight.” his deep voice was clear and bright, ringing out across the space and instantly gaining undivided and rapt attention from everypony present.
“I would like to thank the guests for my indulgence and dedicate this song to some special ponies. The first is the lovely mare I have the joy of accompanying tonight, the amazing mare responsible for this fantastic night we all get to enjoy. The beautiful princess Luna!”
This was met with a round of enthusiastic applause as the mare of the moon turned a deep shade of red. The band started up at this stage, opening up for the big number.
“The other is somepony very special to me. My dear sister who I now have the joy of seeing again after nearly ten years. I always knew she was great, but now all of Equestria does too. The best young flyer in all of Equestria, Rainbow Marie Dashington!”

Now, we play our final hand,
Move in closer, understand,
This time like never before,
Only the black queen scores,
A card so high and so wild,
We should burn it,

The luck of a thousand stars,
Can't get me out of this,
The luck of a thousand stars,
Losing its charm,

Rainbow Dash was crying now, tear spilling as she looked up at him from besides the stage.
“Cuffbert....”
Wordlessly Fluttershy gathered her friend up in a soft hug, just holding her close.
Pinkie Pie had managed what Celestia hadn’t, her jaw spread out all over the grass while Twilight worked her own mouth wordlessly in an attempt to find something to say.

There are people I have loved,
Hypnotized by lies,
In defensive disguise,
Some say protect and survive,
I say it's over,

The luck of a thousand stars,
Can't get me out of this,
The luck of a thousand stars,
Losing its charm,

Luna and Links had met up before the party, the Lunar princess coming into his preparation room to explain who it was he had really been working for. What she found surprised her to say the least. Links had quite quickly worked out who it was he was designing for. Like many designers he had his own estimates on the sizes for the royal pony sisters. In the end it turned out he’d only marginally underestimated the size of her flank, not that he would ever tell anypony that. With that awkward moment already out the way they had instead discussed benal little things. Nothing had prepared the night princess for this. Luna was left in front of the stage, marveling at the stallion before her.
“Maybe I made a choice greater than any bet....”

Hold me through the darkest night,
I feel secure in your arms,
While all the city's on fire,
Its not between you and me,
But we are losing,

The luck of a thousand stars,
Can't get me out of this,
The luck of a thousand stars,
Losing its charm,

“Tell me Links, why do you all hurt so much?” Fluttershy had almost begged the stallion while they talked back in the castle.
“How else can we feel?” Had been the sad reply. “We were moving to Manehatten and Rainbow refused to come with us. Mother and Father were so disappointed when she dropped out of the academy that they ended up not caring. They just...chucked her out." He stared dejectedly at the floor, "And I....I did nothing while they threw my little sister out. I'm a terrible pony and an even worse brother."
The pair of them had been on the verge of tears. In the end, Fluttershy simply gave him a hug.
“But you don’t hate her do you? Why would you hide from her?”
This made the stallion all the more uncomfortable. “I...I just don’t know what to say. We’ve ignored her for nearly ten years, pretended she wasn’t part of our family. How do I make that up to her?”
This elicited a slight chuckle from the yellow mare. “Easy, you just make her a part of your family now.”
Links had looked up at that, gazing into the those blue eyes, "Heh, figures you'd say that. You always were the kindest Filliy I knew, Flutters."

The luck of a thousand stars,
Can't get me out of this,
The luck of a thousand stars,
Losing its charm,