• Published 27th Apr 2012
  • 1,443 Views, 72 Comments

Collars and Cuffs Tailoring - Melancholy



Can Cuff Links make it in the cut throat fashion world? Can Rarity cope with competition?

  • ...
1
 72
 1,443

With the Purity of Night

Chapter 9

Fluttershy was unhappy. Well, not exactly unhappy, but troubled. Not that Fluttershy had any troubles per-say, but nevertheless she certainly wasn't happy. Well, she was, she had a lot to be happy about, she had such good friends, her animals were all healthy, the sun was out, nothing had tried to eat her today. Oh just admit it Fluttershy, this thing with Rainbow Dash was bothering her.

She would never tell anypony that though, she couldn’t burden them with her problems. That wouldn’t be very nice.
Earlier, Rainbow Dash had told Fluttershy everything. It had all made sense, and the yellow pegasus should have seen it coming, the problem stemmed from a time way back and she had been there for some of it herself.
It wasn’t all that surprising though, the weather pony didn’t talk about it and the pony veterinarian had forgotten about it all together. It had been such a long time ago after all and so much had happened since.

Still, Fluttershy did her best to put it out of her mind for now. When she had left the cottage Dash had assured the demure yellow pegasus that she was fine, and felt better having told somepony about it. Even if listening was all she could do Fluttershy was glad to have helped her friend. Maybe there was something else she could do, but she didn’t want to go butting her head into other ponies business just yet. Maybe talk to the other party and see what was really going on.

That would have to wait though. Now she was heading to the Carousel Boutique to help Rarity with her orders. It just seemed right to be helping her spamate out with everything that was going on. If she didn’t, she was worried that Rarity would miss their appointment, and ever since that incident with Photo Finish the time Fluttershy spent with Rarity at the spa had become very precious.

Knocking on the door to the fashion shop, Fluttershy found the door to be open and the inside strangely quiet. All the drapes were drawn as well plunging the shop into deep shadow.
“Um, Rarity? Are you h-home?” If the fashionista was in the back then the timid call had no hope of being heard. Fluttershy knew this, but couldn’t bring herself to call out any louder than that for fear of disturbing somepony. Still, this unnatural darkness worried her. Why would Rarity close all the curtains in the middle of the day?
Taking a few cautious steps into the room the Pony Vet let her eyes adjust to the gloom. Just as she was managing to make out the shapes of some of the things around her, what she had thought was a clothes horse moved.
So naturally Fluttershy took the first course of action which came to her.
Freeze.
Not a movement nor sound escaped her as a terrified mind raced through all the possibilities this thing could be. Cockatrice? Hydra? Ursa?

“Fluttershy?”
“Sweetie Belle....” The poor pink maned pony slumped to the floor as all the tension left her in a rush.
“Why is it so dark in here? Where’s Rarity? What’s going on!?”
It was hard to see in the murky darkness, but it seemed Sweetie smiled.
“Come through into the back and we’ll show you. Sis just finished.”
Taking the older mare by the hoof, Sweetie Belle moved into the depths of the Boutique, deftly stepping around obstacles and through doorways. As they came into the back though, the shaft of light nearly blinded the now night adjusted pegasus.

Rarity was standing before her clothes horses, four of them in total. All of them contained simple flowing dresses of startling white, so pure as to give off their own brilliant radiance.
One was larger than the rest, and set prominently at the front. It had a train of soft pastel colours which Fluttershy found reminiscent of something and a line of shining pearls along the hem.

“Beautiful aren't they?” The mistress of the darkened domain spoke to her guest without turning around.
“I just....lost myself when making them. Before I knew it I’d made four of them, although the order only calls for one.” The unicorn sighed, the light playing off her brilliantly white flanks.
“I wonder if she would mind if we wore these others to the Garden Party ourselves? We wouldn’t want to upstage the customer. At least not this customer.” The last was said so quietly that the pegasus behind her wasn’t sure that her friend had even said it at all.

Fluttershy was in awe. They were the most beautiful things she had ever seen Rarity make. They were simple, yet inextricably elegant, the taller regalia in the centre looking like a queen with her attendants arranged around behind her.
“We....we could. But there’s only three, what about the others?”
This drew an even deeper sigh from the creator sitting before her creations.

“That’s just the thing dear,” She whispered, “This took every last spark I had. I’m not sure I could ever make anything like this again. They wouldn’t be the same, they wouldn’t contain the same....life.”

“I..I see...” Fluttershy wasn’t sure she did, but couldn’t bring herself to say that to her friend.

“It’s ok Fluttershy dear.” For the first time since the pegasus had walked in Rarity turned to look at her, the light glittering in her eyes, “I don’t think I do either. All I know is, there will be nothing like these ever again," A look passed across the seamstresses face as she considered her gracefully timid friend, "And I can’t think of anypony better to wear one than you. Celestia be damned you’d be nothing short of an angel in heaven."

Fluttershy turned her eyes back to the shimmering white fabrics. They were beautiful, and she certainly appreciated her friends work, but her, in one of those? She trembled at the thought. It reminded her too much of the time she’d spent as a model.
“I couldn’t Rarity, they’re just too nice,” she began, but the fashionista would have none of it.

“Poppycock! You will wear one to the ball Fluttershy, as will I. We will go out there with pride and no pony will say anything against it!”

There was more to the gleam in Rarity’s eyes now than just reflected light, it as the light of the spirit of generosity looking to soothe the soul before it, as well as more than a little of the fire of the fashionista aiming for the heavens.
“All right, I will.” Fluttershy looked at her hooves for a bit, cowed before the love her friend showed, both for her friends and her work.
“On one condition though. Rainbow’s been pretty under the weather lately. As in unhappy! Not as in...under...a weather cloud...literally....”
Again the white unicorn smiled, putting a foreleg around her friend.
“I understand dear. I think this would be just the thing for her.”

-------

Somepony, was in his shop.
It was late, and Links had long since retired up to his small living space for a spot of dinner and putting his hooves up in front of the fire. It was then that he had heard the lightest of patters from the room below. Taking up a frying pan in his mouth Links cautiously moved down the stairs leading into the back of the shop. If it was Pinkie again......well he didn't really know what he was going to do. Probably end up using the pan in his mouth to make pancakes. Again.

Cautiously coming around the corner he was more than ready to go clubbing.
Instead he found his erstwhile customer, Moonshine, admiring his dresswork.
“You have made a true work of art here.” she whispered, acknowledging his appearance. She was looking at the dress he had made from as many angles as she could, taking in every fold and detail. “It is truly a worthy article.”
Putting down his frying pan Links moved to stand next to the strange mare which had somehow broken into his shop. He was proud of it. A strikingly complex design which both covered yet revealed something new with every step, like a cloud moving across a full moon. At least, that had been his inspiration.

“Ahhh, now what are these?” Moonshine had moved past the prominent display piece to the three behind it.
One was a plain black strapless number, with a sprinkling of almost star like sparkles around the hems. Another was a poofy dark blue free flowing gown, with plenty of room to move and dance about in. The last was almost a suit, with straight edges and a firm feel made from a smooth yet solid dark brown material.
These were the outfits Links had made for Twilight, Pinkie and Applejack. It had been a trying afternoon, with Pinkie dancing around, Twilight wanting to make notes on everything he did and Applejack protesting at wearing any kind of formal attire.

“Ah, so these must be for..." As realisation dawned a slight smile spread onto her lips, one which spoke both of fond memories and lost pain "...I see, that’s perfect then.” Moonshine went for a bag which she had placed on the corner of a counter and took out one of the object contained within.
“We would wish that these be included somewhere in the design. They are from....a previous item which has become unusable. They hold sentimental value and we would like to see them used again."

Links was awestruck. It was a deep amber jewel which sparkled softly as if a full moon was reflected in its depths. He had seen nothing like them, they must be very valuable.
“We have no objections if you wish to include one or two in these other items.” She gestured to the other clothes behind, “We are....known, to the owners of those and owe them much. It would be fitting if they had this token from us.”
Uhhuh. Why did it not surprise him that this very odd customer knew all the crazies in this town?
“You received our letter?” Links nodded. Quite why she couldn’t have just posted it he had no clue.
“Perfect. We will expect you at the Castle then. Good night Mr Links.”

With that the strange blue mare turned and walked back out through the front of the shop. Links followed her out, and noted that for some reason, when Moonbeam opened the door, the bell didn’t make a single sound. Not only that, when we went to re-lock the door he found it already locked.
Great, not only did he now have to find a way of incorporating a collection of gems probably worth more than all of Ponyville into a dress he thought finished, but he also needed to get his locks changed.
What a night.