• Published 27th Apr 2012
  • 1,444 Views, 72 Comments

Collars and Cuffs Tailoring - Melancholy



Can Cuff Links make it in the cut throat fashion world? Can Rarity cope with competition?

  • ...
1
 72
 1,444

Collars and Cuffs Tailoring

Chapter 1
It was a perfect day for moving. The sun was out and the sky was clear and there was the promise of a cool evening in the air. Cuff Links sat atop the large moving cart as it crested the next hill, the vantage point giving him a good clear view of his new home.

Ponyville was a well to do little place out in the country, and both the scenery as well as its proximity to Canterlot had been factors in him choosing to set up his shop there. There had been quite a stir over the last year in the fashion world, centred around farming villages as well meaning he wouldn’t have to extend himself too far to draw custom to his Tailoring Business. There was a growing movement among the Upper Classes in Canterlot towards the things “Which you just can’t get in Canterlot these days”, which pretty much meant “I want the most unique thing around”. Ponies were willing to go quite far afield for that ‘Just so look‘. That was what he was counting on.

Returning to his senses for a moment, he was immediately taken by the view ahead of thatched cottages and endless acres of farmland stretching out to the horizon. Moving to Manehatten when he was young had been difficult, he had never quite got used to the fast paced lifestyle and pressures of the city and the change would be quite refreshing. After his grandmother had died two months ago he had found himself remembered in her will and had bequeathed a substantial amount of Bits and her wish that he use them to follow his dream of becoming a tailor.
Galvanised into action he had immediately begun searching for where he could find a market for his talents as well as a place of residence to fill it. The only real requirement at the time was that he had always wanted to get out of the grimy city. Now at last that wish was being granted and he was bubbling with excitement.

----

It wasn’t a large space, but it would be his home and his workshop from now on. Just on the edge of the town square he had managed to find a place next to a joke shop which consisted of a moderately sized floor plan he had divided into a shop front and rear workspace. Upstairs were two bedrooms, one of which he intended to convert into another workspace, a bathroom, bedroom and an open plan kitchen and living area. It was humble, but he had no intention of wasting Bits on an unnecessarily extravagant premises.

All his possessions had been moved in with a remarkable amount of speed and now he was left sitting on the floor the shop wondering what to do with himself. It would take a day or two before he could start selling things, the shop floor was empty and all the equipment in the back was wrapped and still had to be unpacked. Deciding at least to fill the broad windows he began unpacking some of the finished items that he had brought with him. A pinstripe suit was placed next to a flowing gala gown and opposite them a diamond edged evening dress sat next to a well fitted tuxedo.
Pleased with the arrangement, Cuff Links trotted outside to hang the finishing touch. A sign painted with two well dressed ponies above the words “Collars and Cuffs Tailoring”. As a finishing touch he slung a small card “Opening soon” in the door window on his way back in. The night was rolling in, cool as promised, but not chilly. Almost deciding to head out for a walk, Links decided instead to start filling the many empty clothes horses on the shop floor, heading to the back to unpack the boxes of materials and machinery he would need.

----

It was a bright and sunny day in Ponyville and the park was full of ponies enjoying the beautiful sunshine; fillies frolicking and picnickers playing. Twilight Sparkle and her friends were laughing under a tree as Pinkie Pie recounted a story about the Cake’s foals that morning.

“And then she just sat in the middle of the floor like nothing was wrong, right as the Cakes walked in!” she was saying, “That’s why I was so late, it takes aaaaagggeeesss to clean caramel off the ceiling! It was tasty though.”

“At least you didn’t get any in your coat darling,” The ivory unicorn supplied after taking a sip of her tea, “You simply can’t remove it from fur, and it would be tragic to have to cut it out.”

“Reminds me of that one time me an’ Apple Bloom were baking pies. Granny had us cleaning for days.” Applejack reminisced, a smile playing on her lips.

Twilight and Fluttershy just sat and giggled, enjoying the peace of time spent with friends. Rainbow Dash was looking at the sky with a slightly strained expression. “What is it I’m forgetting?” She mused quietly. “I swear there was something I needed to today….what was it……OHMYGOSH! Sorry guys, there’s a shower scheduled for tomorrow! I’ve gotta go set it up!”

“Do you have to Rainbow dear? It was set to be such a nice few days. Could we not keep this balmy weather a little longer?” Rarity pleaded, “I was hoping to take a walk to inspire my new summer line.”

“Sorry Rarity, we’re overdue as it is,” Dash apologised with Applejack nodding beside her.
“She’s right sugarcube. The orchard’s parched.”

Giving up Rarity waved a hoof at the pair and went back to her tea, “Oh well, I’ve got orders to catch up on I guess.” She sighed.

Twilight finished her sandwich and stood up “Speaking of orders, I should get back to the library in case those new books arrive.”

Taking this as their cue they all stood and began to pack up the picnic things. Rainbow Dash turned off into the sky with a wave, Fluttershy and Applejack walked off towards the forest’s edge while Pinkie, Rarity and Twilight made their way back into town, chatting the whole way.

Rounding the corner into the square the three friends were about to go their separate ways when catching something out of the corner of her eye Rarity stopped, every perfectly styled hair on her body suddenly standing on end. Twilight wasn’t paying attention and walked right into her sending herself sprawling onto the ground.

“Ouch Rarity, why’d you stop?” Twilight complained as she picked herself of the floor.
Rarity couldn’t speak limply pointing with a forehoof at the window of the shop they were passing. Both Twilight and Pinkie both looked and let out a gasp each, Twilight being mildly surprised while Pinkie was getting excited.

“Collars and Cuffs, “ Twilight read aloud, looking over the sign and the clothing in the windows, “A new tailors in Ponyville?”

“Ohmyohmyohmy!” Pinkie had started to bounce around excitedly. “A new shop in town, and a new shop means a new pony, and a new pony means only one thing!”
Twilight was looking between the new shop, the prancing pink party pony and the still statuesque stylist. “Pinkie I don’t think…”

“WE NEED A PARTY!” Pinkie exploded off the ground in a cloud of dust and pink smoke, shooting off to Celestia knows where to prepare Luna knew what leaving Twilight sitting on her rump choking on the exhaust.

Rarity had been working her mouth silently as her brain tried to process this revelation. A new tailors? Competition? Just look at that work! At this point it gave up and she simply keeled over in a perfectly executed faint.