• Published 27th Apr 2012
  • 1,446 Views, 72 Comments

Collars and Cuffs Tailoring - Melancholy



Can Cuff Links make it in the cut throat fashion world? Can Rarity cope with competition?

  • ...
1
 72
 1,446

First Class Delivery

Chapter 10

Horseapples.
At least, that was the expletive Links had decided upon after eliminating several more colourful options. He had arrived at Ponyville station after spending all night adding the moon garnets to the four dresses. He’d even taken two of the smaller ones and fashioned them into cufflinks for his own evening suit. The lot now worked as a perfect set.

He’d arrived early, hoping to get some sleep on the train when he’d seen six mares he’d really hoped not to see. Crowded at the other end of the platform Pinkie Pie and her friends were having an animated discussion, all while the white designer balanced a set of boxes on her back.
Links himself had several boxes, having offered to deliver Applejack, Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie’s own formal wear along with his own and Moonshine’s to the castle. He hadn’t expected them all to be coming so early on the same train.

Dropping off the packages in the delicate goods car Links ducked behind the guard's van and started to rummage, there had to be something in there he could use to hide. Pinkie had that look of a mare on a mission. Not only that, but that yellow mare looked familiar, an old itching memory, a perfect picture, the yellow and the cyan pegasus together. It made him nervous.

---------

Tingly hooves, floppy ears, dry tongue, black splotches in the vision. Ohhh! That’s the combo for somepony’s hiding from Rainbow Dash! Well, except the last bit, that just meant she’d been holding her breath too long. Pinkie took a deep breath, clearing her field of view of the funny black dots. Silly dots, she couldn’t see if they were going to get in her way.

The pink party mare took a look around the station, she had a fairly good idea who she was looking for and was aiming her keen Pinke Senses towards looking for the errant stallion. Why was he avoiding her rainbow friend. That’s not very nice of him. Whatever it was between them clearly had Dashie upset, and nopony makes Pinkie’s friends upset.

“Dashie, I’ve been meaning to ask you something.” Pinkie finally remembered that she could just ask the cyan Pegaus herself, but when she opened her mouth again to actually ask it was filled by a hoof the colour of butter. Muuummm, why couldn’t Fluttershy actually taste of butter, that would be so neat?
Pinkie’s yellow friend was giving her a look, the kind that said, ‘speak of this again and I will Stare You into next Monday.’ Pinkie wasn’t exactly worried about being on the receiving end of The Stare, but even she couldn’t stand up to its power and anything which caused assertive Fluttershy must be important.
The Pink Party Pony nodded slowly, she’d gotten the message, and Fluttershy removed her hoof. None of the others had seemed to notice this exchange and the conversation was continuing, something about what they all planned to do once they got to Canterlot Castle.
Fluttershy gave Pinkie one last warning look, before joining back into the conversation.

“Oh yes, I’d love to spend some time in the gardens, although that may be difficult with the party preparations.”

This was getting curiouser and curiouser. So Fluttershy knows, Rainbow Dash knows, and Links knows. Wait a second, does everypony but Pinkie Pie know!? That was not a fun thought at all.
Hold on, twitchy eye, shaky hip, conga flank....somepony in the baggage car? Pinkie Pie investigator extraordinaire is on the case!

--------

The train pulled into Canterlot Station, disgorging a stream of life onto the streets of the capital. It the midst of the maelstrom a group of five pastel ponies began moving with purpose towards the castle.
“So tell me again where Pink went?” The cyan streak of the group asked the lavender one.
“Why should I know? It’s not like I’m her keeper or anything.” the purple colour replied, slightly miffed at the grilling.
“I’m sure she’ll turn up eventually, right when we’re least expecting her.” The white one chimed in. “For now let’s get to the castle so we can drop these boxes off and enjoy the pre-party.”
The rest of the spectrum agreed. “Let’s go meet Celestia, she did empty her day for us after all.”
Moving off in the direction of the stone edifice above the city, the little pony pallet moved themselves closer to the climax of the day.

---------

Was this girl psychic or something!? Did she have a horn hidden under all that hair? No matter what Links did, Pinkie always seemed to be a step ahead.
He’d started in the baggage car, deep amidst the towering boxes and piles of bags. She’d popped the door open and taken a dive, swimming the baggage like a pool in search of her target. She'd gotten close when he had slid out the side and moved around the side to the next carriage.
From there it simply became a parody like one of those cartoons in the newspapers, with the cat and mouse.
They'd gone from the front of the train to the back, both over and under it as well. At one stage Pinkie had even jumped out of the firebox in the engine, startling everyone in the little cabin.
In the end he had jumped the train just outside of the station. Extreme, but even then it hadn’t worked. In the end, all he’d done was land in pile a cushions, right next to a Pink pony.

Fine, if she wanted to know so badly, then he’d tell her, whatever she wanted to know. It wasn’t worth running any more.

“So, it’s about time I got to your bottom.”

On second thoughts, running sounded like a good idea all over again.