• Published 16th Nov 2014
  • 7,258 Views, 28 Comments

Sunset Serenade - SoulFyre



Sunset and Rarity's romantic relationship during the events of Rainbow Rocks.

  • ...
10
 28
 7,258

Chapter 3

Author's Note:

Okay here it is after like two months now. Sorry about that. Some of you may also notice that I've done a bit of renumbering of the chapters. Unfortunately, the original chapter three is lost. I sat down to write it out, to get something tangible and as my luck dictates, I got pulled away from the computer and wasn't able to get back to it until the end of the day. By that point it had completely disappeared from my mind.

I've tried, in between other things, to remember or at least get close to my original vision, but I just couldn't. So now I'm posting the original chapter four as three and changing five to four. Sorry about that guys.

I do hope you enjoy what's here though. Also this chapter is largely unedited so point out any mistakes and don't forget to leave a review. Criticize me, praise me, suggest I go to hell, whatever floats you boat.

Enjoy.

Sunset was behind the stage with her back pressed up against the wall. Well, her back against a guitar, against the wall. It was sort of uncomfortable, really. But that didn’t matter to her at the moment.

Rarity had her hands at Sunset’s waist and was kissing her all over.

Her neck, her cheeks, her lips, Rarity was relentless. She eventually cupped Sunset’s cheek and brought her into a deep kiss. Her lips were soft and minty, like always. Sunset felt Rarity’s tongue attempting to enter and she was more than happy to oblige and reciprocate.

They kissed passionately for what felt like forever. A perfect, amazing forever.

They broke apart so that Rarity could speak. “You were amazing, darling.”

Sunset blushed, “I didn’t do that much. I couldn’t have done it without you all.”

“No no. We couldn’t have done it without you,” said Rarity, “we lost. It was you that saved us all. Not just during our song, but before when we were locked up. You stopped our foolish bickering and brought us together again.” Rarity gave her a quick kiss on the nose. “You truly were amazing.”

Sunset tightened her hold on Rarity. “Yeah, I guess I was. But so were you. I mean I saw you blast that siren with your keytar. That was awesome.”

“Why thank you, darling. I did my best.”

Sunset kissed her. “Well your best is incredible, Rare.”

Rarity smiled and leaned in again.

Their lips met once more in a deep passionate kiss. Sunset’s hands lowered until she was cupping Rarity’s butt. She gave it a quick squeeze and Rarity separated their lips immediately.

Rarity smirked. “Someone’s being naughty tonight.”

Sunset chuckled. “Well can you blame me? Tonight’s been exhilarating,” Sunset’s eyelids lowered, “and you look very sexy in that outfit.”

Rarity growled and kissed her again. “You’re lucky I love you, so I guess I can let you have a little fun tonight for being so amazing.”

Sunset’s eyes widened as did Rarity’s.

Did she just…?

Did I just…?

And that’s when they heard a cough.

The two girls’ faces went red. They turned their heads swiftly to stage right and saw their friends standing near the edge of the stage’s back.

Twilight and Applejack were wide eyed. Rainbow Dash was smirking with her arms crossed. Fluttershy was blushing and hiding behind her hair. And finally, Pinkie was sporting a huge grin and was shaking in place.

Sunset let out a nervous laugh. “Uh… hey girls. What’s up?”

“OH MY GOSH!” Pinkie shouted. She zipped around to the other side of the girls and pulled them both into a bone-crushing hug. “This is so exciting! You look sooooo cute together!” She stopped hugging them and adopted a serious expression. “We need to throw a party.”

Rarity looked between Pinkie and Sunset. “Well, Pinkie, I don’t know if-”

“I freaking knew it.”

The trio looked at the approaching Rainbow Dash; a smug look plastered on her face.

“I knew you two were up to something. You two blew us off so much I just knew you were hiding something,” she said, “I mean, I didn’t know you were hooking up, but I should’ve.”

Sunset looked between her friends and steeled her gaze. She grasped Rarity’s hand and looked at the others.

“I know Pinkie’s on board with us, but,” she took a breath, “if you have a problem with us being together then too bad. Deal with it.”

“Now where’d that come from?” Applejack said as she and the other two girls caught up to Rainbow. “Why would we have a problem with you two?”

Sunset looked down sheepishly and rubbed the back of her head with her free hand. “I’ve kind of gone over this in my head a couple times.” She looked back up at them. “The whole defending us thing, I kinda felt like I needed to after all the thought I put into it.”

Sunset rolled her eyes. “And I completely spaced on what I planned to say.”

“So how long have you been together, if you don’t mind me asking that is,” said Fluttershy.

“Since the Formal,” said Rarity.

“Whoa whoa, the Formal, really?” said Dash. “Like that night?” The two girls nodded. Rainbow smirked. “You move fast Sunset, dang.”

Rarity placed her free hand at her waist. “And what’s that supposed to mean Rainbow Dash.”

“Well, duh. Sunset goes all demon on us, tries to kill us, and then lands one of the school’s biggest hotties. Seriously, props.”

Rarity raised a brow. “Biggest hotties?”

“You’re gorgeous Rarity,” said Dash, “don’t pretend you don’t know.”

Sunset moved a little in front of Rarity and smiled. “My girlfriend. Back off.”

Rainbow Dash threw up her hands and laughed. “Yeah yeah, she’s all yours. Not my type anyway.”

The other girls shared a chuckle.

“Well, I can’t say I’m not shocked,” said Twilight, “but you’re my friends so of course I’m fine with you. And Pinkie’s right, you two are pretty cute together.”

“I can’t say I’m fine with you two hiding this from us,” said Applejack, “you two didn’t need to sneak around. We’re your friends.”

Rarity looked away in embarrassment. “Well it was kind of exciting. An illicit affair, two forbidden lovers. Oh it was fun.”

Sunset just nodded.

“Well I’m happy for you two,” said Fluttershy.

“Thank you girls, really,” said Sunset, “I guess I was worried for nothing. Rarity wanted to tell you all from the beginning. I was just scared.”

“I told you, darling.”

Sunset smiled and elbowed a giggling Rarity.

“Anyway,” said Sunset, “now that that’s out of the way, I was wondering if I could talk to Twilight. In private.”

Twilight smiled. “Of course.”

Rainbow’s eyes narrowed. “What about?”

“Pony stuff. In private.”

Sunset gave Rarity a quick kiss on the cheek before she led Twilight to the right end of the stage.

“Well, girls as much as I do love ‘hanging out’ as it were, I would like to speak with Fluttershy privately.”

“Me?” said Fluttershy.

“You too? And what are you gonna talk about?” said Rainbow.

“Oh just girl stuff.”

Rainbow raised a brow. “Uh hello,”-she motioned to herself- “girl right here.”

“Sensitive girl stuff. For sensitive and non-excitable girls.”

“Well no big deal,” said Applejack, “we’ll just wait here. Night’s young so we’ll have plenty of time to spend together.”

“Well duh,” said Pinkie, “party at Sugarcube Corner. With my-”

“Employee discount,” the others finished for her.

“Yeppers. How’d you know?”

The others shared a look.

“Well then,” said Rarity, “come along Fluttershy, if you wouldn’t mind.”

“Of course not. What are friends for.”


“So what ‘pony stuff’ did you want to talk about?”

Twilight stood across from Sunset, who’d taken to leaning against the stage’s back sans the guitar now propped next to her.

“Oh that,” said Sunset, “I lied. There’s just something I needed to talk to someone about and you won’t be staying here so you’re the best to keep a secret.”

“Fair point. So what’s this about then.”

Sunset sighed. “Promise that this doesn’t reach anyone else before you go through the portal.”

“Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.”

Sunset facepalmed. “Oh Stars above, your Pinkie does that too?”

Twilight nodded.

“Good. I’ve seen what happens with a broken Pinkie Promise. It’s not pretty.”

“So…” Twilight said.

“Oh right,” said Sunset, “the thing is, I kind of want advice. Relationship advice.”

Twilight raised a brow. “I’m pretty sure you know more about relationships than I do. More than nothing, like me.”

“Well it’s more like bouncing thoughts off you and maybe getting some help if you can.”

“Well I’ll try my best.”

Sunset smiled. “Thanks.”

“So what’s the problem.”

Sunset sighed. “It’s just… well right before you girls caught us, Rarity said something and I don’t know how to react.”

“What did she say.”

Sunset bit her lower lip as she tried to decide if she should or shouldn’t tell Twilight.

She sighed once more. “She said that she loved me.”

Twilight tilted her head to the side. “That’s it?”

“Twilight, that’s a pretty big deal.”

“Well, my family says it all the time and my friends have said it before too, so I don’t see the problem.”

“Wow,” said Sunset, “you really don’t know anything about relationships. No offense.”

“None taken, but I still don’t get it.”

“It’s just that ‘I love you’ is the next big step,” said Sunset, “it means that things are really serious. It’s a commitment. When you love someone it means you don’t want to be with anyone else. It means that you’re in it for the long haul. Maybe even that you’ve found ‘the One’.”

“Really?”

Sunset blushed. “Well okay, maybe not everyone thinks that, but I do. I guess Rarity might not. She is a bit of a romantic so ‘I love you’ might be easier for her, but…”

She trailed off and looked over at Rarity speaking to Fluttershy. “Look Twilight,” she returned her attention to the girl in question, “I’m older than Rarity. I was an adult when I left Equestria and I’ve been here for years now. I guess that ‘I love you’ carries more weight with me.

“I’m not some lovestruck teenager who flippantly says ‘I love you’ because they’re young and naive. I’m an adult and I’m around the age where some people think about true love and settling down.” Sunset looked up for a moment, “well, okay, I’m not that old yet, but I still think that ‘I love you’ shouldn’t be said lightly.”

“That really sounds like the romances Equestria Rarity reads,” said Twilight, “the same ones she tries to push on me all the time.”

“Guess some things are the same between worlds.”

They shared a quick laugh.

After their little break, Twilight was the first to speak. “So, do you love her?”

“I-I just… I’m just not sure,” she looked over at Rarity, “I care about her. Probably more than I’ve cared about anyone else. Family and maybe Celestia come close. But it’s just been such a short time that I just don’t know.”

“Well what do you think about her. Maybe I can tell if you’re in love if I hear you talk about her.”

Sunset smiled. “Rarity is amazing. She isn’t some shallow, fashion-obsessed diva that so many people think she is. She’s intelligent, funny, passionate, and just fun to be around in general. When I’m around her I’m happy. When I’m not around her I often think of her. She’s my best friend and so much more.”

Sunset smirked. “Not to mention she’s incredibly beautiful and sexy. And she sure knows it too. She really flaunts it around me especially. And then there’re her eyes…”

Sunset trailed off, lost in her own little world.

“Uh, Equestria to Sunset, hello,” said Twilight.

Sunset snapped out of it with a start. “Oh right,” she rubbed the back of her head, “sorry about that.”

“It’s fine,” said Twilight, “and I think I have an idea about your feelings.”

“Yes?”

“Honestly, I think you’re in love.”

Sunset closed her eyes and smiled. “Yeah, I guess I am.”

“So now you just need to tell her.”

Sunset shook her head. “I don’t think I’m ready for that Twilight.”

“Why not? If you know you love her why can’t you say it?”

Sunset opened her eyes. “It’s one thing to know it. It’s an entirely different thing to say it. I just don’t think I’m ready yet.”

“Well if you ask me,” said Twilight, “you should at least tell her that you’re not ready. You can’t just ignore what she said.”

Sunset sighed and looked over to Rarity, who’d rejoined their other friends. “Yeah I owe her that much.”

Sunset picked up her guitar as she pushed herself off the wall. She slung it over her back and turned to Twilight. “Do you think you could tell her to meet me here. I think this should be private. Definitely private. And keep the others from snooping.”

“Will do,” Twilight said before she walked toward the group.


Rarity led Fluttershy to the side of the stage opposite Sunset and Twilight.

Fluttershy was the first to speak. “So, uh, what did you want to talk about?”

Rarity started pacing. “Oh Fluttershy, this is horrible. I’ve made the most horrible of blunders.

“Oh, well, I’m sure it’s not that bad.”

Rarity’s eyes narrowed. “Not that bad? Not that bad? This is without a doubt,” she paused, “The. Worst. Possible. Thing.”

She brought the back of her hand to her forehead and slumped against the wall.

“Oh Sunset must hate me now. Or she thinks me a fool or a freak.”

“It can’t be that bad,” said Fluttershy, “just tell me what’s wrong if you don’t mind that is.”

Rarity composed herself. “I told her I loved her.”

Fluttershy tilted her head to the side. “Okay?”

“It’s not okay. It’s horrible.”

“Why? If you don’t mind.”

Rarity let out an exasperated sigh. “We’ve been dating for only a short time now and I went and said that I loved her. What sane individual would say ‘I love you’ in such a short time?”

“Some people don’t need too long to fall in love,” said Fluttershy.

“In a romance novel maybe, but in real life? Fluttershy, it makes me sound like a lovestruck child, not a reasonable adult.”

“Um, technically you’re not an adult.”

Rarity narrowed her eyes at Fluttershy, who proceeded to shrink away.

“I’m mature enough to know that I messed up.” Rarity’s eyes began to water. “What if she breaks up with me. And all because I let something like that just slip out.”

“Well do you love her?”

“Of course I do,” Rarity said immediately.

“Then I don’t see the problem.”

“But what if Sunset breaks up with me over this. It’s not normal to say it so soon.”

“I know that you think that Rarity” -Fluttershy placed a hand on Rarity’s shoulder- “But if Sunset cares about you then something like that won’t cause her to break up with you.”

Rarity sniffed. “I’m being silly aren’t I?”

“A little bit, yes.”

Rarity blinked away her forming tears and Fluttershy removed her hand from Rarity’s shoulder.

“Thank you Fluttershy. I just needed to sort that out,” she sighed, “I need to talk to Sunset about this, don’t I?”

Fluttershy nodded. “I think that would be best.”

Rarity smiled and headed toward the others with Fluttershy close behind.


“You wanted to see me?” said Rarity.

Shortly after she had returned with Fluttershy to the other three girls, Twilight told her to meet with Sunset.

She knew what this was about and really did wish they could have postponed the talk. But, she thought, the sooner the better.

“Yeah,” said Sunset.

“So…”
“So…”

They blinked and shared a quick laugh.

“I guess we both know what this is about,” said Sunset.

“I do believe it was my, ahem, faux pas earlier.”

Sunset nodded.

“Look, Sunset, I didn’t…”

Sunset raised a hand to silence her. She then took both of Rarity’s hands in her own and looked her straight in the eye.

“You meant it and I’m not mad. I’m surprised, but it’s not like that’s a bad thing. I mean, I’m flattered that you feel that way.”

“You are?”

“Who wouldn’t be?” Sunset smiled, “the most beautiful girl in school being in love with me? Rainbow would say that’s awesome.”

Rarity giggled.

“I care about you Rarity,” said Sunset. She punctuated that with a quick kiss.

Rarity blushed and her heart swelled. She felt hope that maybe Sunset loved her too. “So does that mean you feel the same?”

Sunset averted her gaze and Rarity’s heart sank.

“Oh, I see,” said Rarity. She slipped her hands from Sunset’s and took a step back. “It’s alright” -her eyes began to water- “I understand.”

Before she could move any further, Sunset pulled her into a hug. One that Rarity returned with gusto. The last thing she wanted was for Sunset to leave her.

“I’m not breaking up with you Rarity,” she said. “I’m just…”

Sunset pulled back a bit and looked Rarity in the eyes. Those beautiful, beautiful eyes. “I care about you Rarity. A whole lot. I just don’t know if I can say… you know.”

“Oh.”

Sunset pulled her close again and nuzzled her neck. “I’m not saying that I’ll never say it. I just saying that I’m not ready right now. Can you wait for me?”

Rarity relished their embrace for a moment longer before pulling away and giving Sunset a quick kiss. “Of course, darling. I’ll wait as long as it takes.”

Sunset smiled and kissed her once more.

“Now come on, darling,” said Rarity, “I’m sure the others are dying to know what’s going on.”

“Well then,” said Sunset, “let’s torture them a bit then. I think this should stay between us… and Twilight.”

“And Fluttershy.”

“Yeah, just them,” said Sunset, “definitely not the other three. They can’t keep anything to themselves. The whole school will know we’re together… probably now because I can see them texting from here.”

Sunset moved past Rarity. “Hey! What do you think you’re doing, you blabbering jerks!”

Rarity giggled at Sunset’s reaction and followed after her. Sure she was disappointed that her feelings weren’t quite returned, but…

She smiled.

She could wait.