• Published 16th Nov 2014
  • 7,254 Views, 28 Comments

Sunset Serenade - SoulFyre



Sunset and Rarity's romantic relationship during the events of Rainbow Rocks.

  • ...
10
 28
 7,254

Chapter 2

“And that should do it.”

Sunset closed a panel at the back of a yellow helmet. She pressed a button just above the panel and the helmet came to life. She flipped the helmet and admired her handiwork. The black surface of the helmet’s front displayed a pattern of three diamonds while the sides of the helmet lit up with squares of rainbow-pattern light.

She smirked at the success. She turned on her stool, away from her workspace, and presented the working helmet to the room’s other occupant.

“One work of technological genius done.”

Rarity looked up from the yellow jumpsuit she was working on and her eyes widened at the piece of ‘technological genius’.

“Oh my, Sunset that’s amazing,” she practically skipped toward Sunset and delicately took the helmet in her hands.

Sunset smiled and rubbed her knuckles on her shirt. “Well I don’t like to brag.”

Rarity gave a knowing smirk. “Sure you don’t.”

Rarity turned the helmet around in her hands. “So how-”

“There’s a button on the back,” said Sunset, “above the panel.”

Rarity switched it off and gingerly set it down on the worktable behind Sunset.

“I must say I was quite surprised when I learned you could do something like this,” Rarity smiled, “I never took you for a techy. And such a amazing one at that.”

Sunset blushed.

“So how did you become so versed in technology?”

“Because I was the single greatest and most powerful mage in Equestria.” She punctuated her statement with an exaggerated bow.

“Humble.”

Sunset righted herself and took to leaning against her work table with her arms crossed. “Well, it’s true. I was the personal student of Princess Celestia. I had magical reserves that made even the most learned and powerful mages look pitiful. I was a prodigy and I worked hard to make sure I was using my gift to its fullest. And that’s why I worked so hard at studying this world’s technology.”

“Because you were a powerful mage? I’m not sure I understand.”

“When I first came to this world I thought that technology was magic. We have similar things in Equestria that is powered by magic so it made sense. Of course I learned quickly that magic didn’t exist in this world like in Equestria, so I did everything I could to master this worlds own brand of magic.”

“That makes sense.”

“And I just so happen to be as incredible with tech as I am with magic.”

Rarity rolled her eyes “You really should show more of this confidence around the others, although maybe with a little less arrogance. We already have one Rainbow Dash and we certainly don’t need another.”

Sunset slouched and looked away. “I… I don’t think they’d like this side of me. Too much like my old self.”

Rarity stepped forward and placed a comforting hand on Sunset’s shoulder. When Sunset met her eyes, Rarity pecked her on the cheek.

“Nonsense. You’re their friend. You don’t need to worry about them not liking the real you. You’re an amazing person, you just stumble sometimes. We all do.”

“Ugh. This is getting too emotional,” said Sunset, “so this costume you have here is kinda cool, but...:”

Rarity raised a brow. “But what?”

Sunset rubbed the back of her head. “I’m good and everything, but even I can’t make five more of those helmets before the Battle of the Bands.”

“Hmm, true.” Rarity walked over to the jumpsuit. “Still, I think I should at least put the finishing touches on the outfit. I’m sure I can think of an ensemble that would compliment it.”

Rarity felt a pair of arms encircle her. Sunset rested her chin on Rarity’s shoulder. “Well if anyone can do that in time, it would be you.”

Sunset mimicked the kiss from earlier and the two of them stood there enjoying the embrace.

An errant look at the clock caused Rarity to speak. “The sleepover will be starting soon so we should really think about getting ready.”

Sunset nuzzled her. “Or we could blow it off and have our own little sleepover. Your bed always did look especially comfy.”

Rarity giggled. “As tempting as that is, and it really is quite tempting, it would look suspicious don’t you think.”

Sunset sighed. “Yeah.”

“Of course, I have no problem with them knowing about us.”

“Please don’t start this Rare.”

“Very well,” Rarity reluctantly left Sunset’s embrace, “you should get your hormones in check while I put the finishing touches on the outfit.”

“Yeah yeah.”

“Besides, I really can’t wait to learn about the other’s potential paramours,” Rarity giggled, “I swear I saw Fluttershy of all people checking someone out. And of course Twilight obviously has a thing for Flash… oh.”

Rarity looked back at Sunset. “Sorry darling.”

Sunset crossed her arms and shrugged. “About what?”

“You know, denying any residual feelings for him will just make it harder to move on.”

“Rarity, seriously I don’t have anything for Flash. Never did.”

Rarity turned fully toward Sunset. “You can’t really expect me to believe that. You two dated for quite a while. Surely you felt something.”

Sunset looked away. “Maybe.”

Rarity smiled victoriously.

Sunset rolled her eyes. “Wipe that smirk off your face, it wasn’t like that. I felt something, just nothing romantic.”

Rarity gave her a quizzical look. “Come again?”

Sunset sighed. “Flash is a great guy. He really is. It was the first time anyone was really nice to me. At least that I paid any real attention to.” Sunset looked up at the ceiling. “Well there was the Princess, but I was still bitter. Anyway, Flash was really the first quasi friend I had. I had to at least feign interest. Of course when I learned that fear worked better than arm candy I stopped trying. Guess that's why he broke it off.”

She looked down and away from Rarity, “Still it felt, it feels, kind of bad breaking his heart like that.” She met Rarity’s eyes, “so no I don’t have residual romantic feelings for him. I really didn’t have them in the first place.”

“Well honestly that’s a relief,” said Rarity, “I still think you’re mistaken about your feelings, but as long as you really don’t have anything still left for him then I have nothing to worry about.”

“You were jealous?” Sunset smirked.

“A little bit, yes.”

Sunset laughed. “So I’m not the only jealous one in this relationship. Feels better knowing that.”

Rarity pouted. “It was merely a mild concern. I’m not nearly as jealous a girl as you are.”

Sunset still sported a smirk. “Whatever you say Rare, whatever you say.”

Rarity rolled her eyes. “You’re impossible sometimes.”

As Rarity returned to her work Sunset had to get the last word in. “Pot kettle black, sexy.”

Sunset barely avoided a flung spool of thread as she ducked out of the room; laughing all the way.

Author's Note:

After several months there are two chapters in one day. My god I'm insane.
At any rate, I'm a little iffy about this chapter. I have a tendency to over-think and over-correct things to the point where they're a mess. I'm posting this now mostly so I stop doing that and get any possible feedback.
I should also note that it is a lot easier to write a chapter around a short than ones taking place during a movie.
The next two chapters will likely be ready within a couple of weeks, maybe even less. I'm on a roll.