• Published 23rd Dec 2014
  • 2,206 Views, 17 Comments

Hive Alive Moments - BlackWater



Extras, deleted scenes, and fun nothings from Hive Alive. All compiled together into one collection for your reading enjoyment. Mostly silly and/or non-serious.

  • ...
3
 17
 2,206

The Hive Before Halloween


Chrysy!” shouted a slightly frustrated Queen Sparkle. Her Starswirl the Bearded costume jingled as she moved about.

The happy sound of a changeling buzz was audible from around the corner. Was Chrysalis giggling?

Twilight raced up the stairs of her treehouse library, following her changeling up to the bedroom. It was black as usual and fully reminiscent of a changeling hive chamber. Chrysalis had darted into the sleeping ring, laid down, and began sorting through her loot she had acquired throughout the night. Technically, it wasn't Nightmare Night yet. Chrysalis was guilty of preemptive candy snatching.

“I said it was only a test run,” Twilight huffed as she stomped into her sleeping ring. “And that candy is for other ponies tomorrow night.”

“Apples and oranges,” Chrysalis hummed in a sing-song tone. She quickly removed certain candies from her bucket. Namely the unidentifiable pieces that nopony ever ate anyways.

Twilight rolled her eyes and laid down alongside her changeling. “You're lucky AJ isn't here,” she commented. “You'd get a few choice words for using that saying around her.”

The large blue-haired changeling ignored her queen and popped a small chocolate into her mouth.

“Hey!” Twilight's eyes narrowed. “I said those were for tomorrow!”

Without any kind of warning, Chrysalis leaned forward and pressed her lips to Twilight's. She pressed forward more when the alicorn leaned back out of surprise. When their lips parted, Twilight could taste a hint of chocolate.

“Even with a beard,” Chrysalis remarked, “you're irresistible.”

At first, Twilight's lips wavered and her mouth opened and closed without a sound. She then looked towards the room's entrance and the sole window. Both closed with a purple magical aura. Spike was still downstairs, knocked out from sugar overload.

“C-can't you wait until I ask you to kiss me?” Twilight tried to sound authoritative, but her blush and averted gaze betrayed her. “Why do you turn every moment into some flirting thing?”

“I thought you wanted some chocolate,” Chrysalis shrugged in faux innocence. “Dark changeling chocolate...”

Rather than lecture her about her continued bantering, Twilight bit her bottom lip and grabbed her changeling around the neck. She pulled the taller pseudo-pony down so that they were laying with their heads against the soft cushion of the sleeping ring. The green circular light came on and bathed them in the soothing pre-sleep glow.

Chrysalis forgot about her bucket of stolen-from-Twilight candy. Instead, she focused her thoughts on her queen, embracing her and holding their bodies close. Though she enjoyed the moment, she wouldn't let the time pass without comment.

“What is it with you and cuddling?” Chrysalis asked and beamed at the same time.

Twilight was immediate on the comeback. “What is it with you and suggestive flirtation?”

The changeling's lips pursed to form an “O” of defeat. “En garde?”

“It's touche,” Twilight corrected as she buried her muzzle against her changeling's neck. Her Starswirl the Bearded costume blinked off of her with a magical pop of teleportation. It was easier now to hug the black shape-shifter. “Did you switch shampoo?”

“Oh,” Chrysalis said and then gave an “ah” as she explained and stroked her queen's mane with a holey forehoof. “I ran out of the usual. I'm surprised you didn't notice since you're normally psychotic about stock levels in the bathroom.”

“I resent that.”

Chrysalis smiled but continued. “Fluttershy let me borrow some. Mountain Spring or something like that.”

Twilight took a deep breath against her changeling's mane and then relaxed again within her hooves. “It's very nice. Makes sense that you got it from Shy.”

One of Chrysalis' hooves traveled down to Twilight's back. She liked the feel of her queen's soft feathers. Unlike her own wings, Twilight's didn't buzz about whenever she felt content. Instead, they popped out when she was surprised. Actually, there were several other instances in which the alicorn's wings would spring out on their own. Chrysalis had discovered that through the many nights Twilight's hive had slept in the same ring.

No sound made itself known in the closed-off bedroom, save for their own breathing. Chrysalis' steady breaths served to put the queen at ease and vise versa. Perhaps the changeling was incapable of staying serious through one of her Nightmare Night preparatory testing scenarios, but Twilight was happy they had wound up here nonetheless. They both needed sleep. It was late and they were both tired anyhow.

“Do I need to pay for that chocolate I ate?” Chrysalis made a rare breach of self-confidence to ask a sincere question.

“You already are,” Twilight hummed in contentment. The ring padding was soft enough as it was, but the glow of the light, the lateness of the hour, and the reassuring warmth of her changeling's embrace were enough to lull her asleep.

Perhaps, when she awoke, she'd be able to finish her study on the holiday and write to Princess Celestia about the alternate title she had come across in an old dusty tome. Halloween was such an odd word that it made sense for the holiday to be called Nightmare Night instead...

Author's Note:

Happy Halloween!
May your candy be delicious and your times memorable.