• Published 11th Nov 2014
  • 808 Views, 21 Comments

Oneiro - ngrey651



The mysterious estate of Oneiro is miles away from the barrier that's encompassing the Earth, turning it into Equestria. Now an orphanage, an amnesiac new arrival thinks Oneiro will be a good home...but he's no idea the horrors lying within

  • ...
39
 21
 808

The Nightmare Sets in

Author's Note:

As always, please leave feedback on what you'd like me to change, what you enjoyed, etc, etc. I'll never improve without it. But keep in mind, I'm trying to create an atmosphere, build up on the mystery and horror, so please forgive me for this somewhat slow start. But I can't just give away everything in the first couple of chapters. So if your complaint is "how does this connect to the Conversion Bureau itself outside of evidently taking place in the same universe", well...you'll see. Just be patient.

“And in other news, the barrier continued to expand another mile today…”

CLICK!

“Complete ponification of the entire city of Glasgow-”

CLICK!

“Examination of the land beyond the barrier proven impossible, every manmade drone has been eradicated-”

CLICK! Chariot cringed as Roxy put the television remote down, sitting back in the plushy blue couch of the estate’s living room, the fringe-haired woman sitting next to him whilst, Tori, Anna and Lori all laid on various chairs. Each of them glanced slowly at each other, a nervous expression on their faces, the Chariot blinking stupidly as he turned to Roxy’s darkened, solemn face.

“The…barrier. It’s transforming the Earth and it keeps advancing?” Why doesn’t this “Princess Celestia” turn it off or something?”

“She says she can’t and the only way us humans can survive is turning into a pony.” Roxy mumbled. “…a perfect pony.”

Shinedown had begun trotting into the room, holding aloft a tray of scones when he saw their expressions and the final channel they’d turned to, which was a documentary on how the ponification potions worked. He turned a pale, almost icy blue color, Chariot seeing his body tremble. Yet…something about his eyes seemed to give away a different emotion than his body was showing. The paleness didn’t seem to come from fear or horror but…pure, unadulterated rage.

“I’m…sorry you have to see such things.” He murmured as he put the tray down on the table in the center of the living room, beneath yet another beautiful golden chandelier that hung high above their heads, crystal shining brightly in every candle holder it had. Their host’s blue hair flopped down as he sighed, shaking his head back and forth as Chariot took one of the scones Shinedown offered and nibbled on the edge. “It makes me ashamed to be a pony. When I first learned of it, I wanted to try and stop it.” The Earth pony admitted to Chariot, removing the cloak from his body…

Chariot almost vomited. The Earth pony’s form had horrific scarring and burn marks all over his back, his tail almost burnt away completely.

“There’s a reason why only unicorns and alicorns do magic. When others attempt it through alternative methods, it…doesn’t end well. I couldn’t find a way to stop the barrier.”

“So you’re trying to atone for species guilt through individual action?” Chariot asked, Shinedown flinching. It hurt because it was true, and he gave a small, quiet little nod. “Look, I’m not going to hold what the barrier is doing against you. You’ve been nothing but nice to me.”

The Earth pony’s head rose back up and he smiled slightly, putting his cloak back on and giving Chariot a deep, respectful bow as Anna knelt down by him and began scratching the space behind his ears, making him murr. “OHHHH. Yessss. That’s the stuff.” He murred out as Roxy glowered at an image of Celestia on display on the television screen.

“Ugh. I almost miss Nightmare Moon and King Sombra when I think of what SHE’S done.” Shinedown said, not even the scratching making the scowl on his face go away. Chariot tilted his head to the side, confused.

“Nightmare…wait, who?”

“Both of them were ponies who did terrible, awful things back in Equestria. Kind of disprove the whole “Ponies are perfect” idea Celestia loves to espouse. And Sombra above all, he…” Shinedown cringed. “He had this ability to make people see things that weren’t real. Get inside their mind, a kind of…mesmerism. It was called the “Sanguine Condition”, an example of his willpower utterly dominating others and altering reality itself.”

“That sounds horrifying.” Lori admitted with a shudder. “What happened to him?”

“Celestia actually killed him when he tried to return. I suppose she didn’t like anybody reminding her of what she was doing…stripping people’s wills away.” Shinedown muttered balefully. “He needed a castle and crystals to do his work…all she needed was a potion.”

“She is SUCH a bitch. I hate it when “Der Fuhrer” does an interview and people actually swallow the tripe she feeds them.” She mumbled angrily, Tori getting an idea as she began to giggle. “What is it, lunchbox?” Roxy wanted to know, tilting her head slightly to the side, her brown eyes gazing intensely at the redhead.

“When der fuhrer says “We is the master race”, we heil!”

“PHBBTT!” Anna and Lori sticking their hands in their mouth in a fake salute as they gave raspberries, Roxy rolling her eyes slightly before she too joined in.

“Heil!”

“PHBBTT!”

“In der fuhrer’s face!”

“You’re awfully upbeat, aren’t you?” Chariot admitted to Tori. “It’s the end of the world as we know it, and you feel fine.”

“We’ve got good friends to look out for us.” She said as Anna scratched behind Shinedown’s ears again, making him stomp a hoof on the ground in quick, rapid succession.

“Ohhhhh yes, right there, right there, ohhh that’s the stuff…” He murmured.

Roxy “hmphed” before turning to Chariot, giving the dark-haired human a nod, brown eyes staring into deepest green. “It’s good to have another guy around, the place is a total clambake since Dan and Edward left.”

“Yes, they decided to take their chances and just left in the middle of the night. Along with my silverware.” Shinedown sighed quietly as he walked over to a nearby cupboard in the living room, opening it up, revealing only a single china plate left over. “In times of trouble, I suppose everyone becomes desperate and begins doing things they’d normally never do. Not that my own race doesn’t do that. My Changeling ancestors were all about “doing what they had to” to survive.” He chuckled wryly. “That worked out so well for them.”

“I can’t believe how goddamn hypocritical ponies are to talk about how unharmonious HUMANS are when they treat Changeling-blooded ponies like yourself so rotten just because of who your great grandfather had sex with.” Lori remarked, sticking out her tongue in disgust. “They got some freakin’ nerve.”

“Ah, you get used to it. Kind of have to. I’m going to be in my room, I’ve got an awful headache and I need to go lie down.” Shinedown remarked, the crack of thunder piercing through the air outside, storm clouds beginning to roll in as the Earth pony “hmmed”. “Looks like a storm’s coming. Best batten down the hatches, everyone should close all the windows and the doors in the estate.”

“Nose goes for the clock tower!” Tori cried out, putting a finger to her nose as Lori, Roxy and Anna all put a finger to their nose, Chariot realizing he had now been “volunteered” to go to the clock tower section of the estate to close its enormous windows and to fully lock up ITS doors. He sighed, shrugging slightly as he stood up, making for the doorway, another KRA-KRAK of lightning echoing outside before-

THWOOMP. All the lights went out. Shinedown groaned. “Phooey. The generator must have gone. I’ll go take care of it…” He said, trotting towards the exit himself as all the girls scattered, each of them making for a different part of Oneiro as the wind began to batter the mansion, thudding hard against its walls as if desperately trying to get inside…

…he couldn’t feel his arms. Why couldn’t he feel his arms? He struggled to get out from the table he’d been strapped to, hearing a faint dripping noise echoing through the dark expanse that surrounded him. He grunted and heaved, trying to get out but…

That damn dripping. What was it? Where was it coming from? It sounded close by.

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

A light suddenly lit the room up and he glanced about, seeing he was in some kind of underground laboratory, odd instruments upon the walls with clamps meant to hold people up placed in strategic positions…

Blood red seals in strange language drawn upon the walls, right where any prisoner’s back would be. He suddenly realized he was tied to one such wall and finally, turning his head, he could see clearly his-

“OH MY GOD!” He screamed out, looking at his lack of arms. How in the…how?! How was it possible, how-

“Oh, you’re awake. I’m…very sorry you have to see that. But please understand, this is necessary for a true rebirth. Not the false life that you would expect.” A voice spoke up, comforting and soothing as a familiar face entered the laboratory from the entryway across the room, holding a torch up high. He placed it in on the wall, approaching the terrified prisoner and reaching out, touching the seal behind the frightened human. “I’m so close.”

“What have you done to my arms?!” The human screamed out. “Dear God, what have you done to my arms!”

“It isn’t just your arms, look, you have to understand…”

A sad sigh. “…would you like a mirror?” He inquired.

The human paled. He knew what that meant. “…what does my face look like?”

“Look, I know this is confusing. But you’re responding far better to the treatment than the others.”

“Others?”

Then he noticed something. Something that he hadn’t smelled before. Thick, like iron…foul, this ugly, pungent scent that wafted through the air from…a small crack in the wall across from his right. He peered towards it, eyes narrowing until he could faintly see beyond…

And he saw the many, many corpses lying within.

He began to scream.

…Lori sighed as she reached up on her tippy toes, arms stretching out and grabbing hold of the long window pane, slamming it shut as the wind howled outside. She glanced about the empty bathroom, sighing as he headed for the sink, trying to turn the knob. Phooey. The water was off too, and the entire house seemed to breathe all about her in an uncomfortable fashion as she looked about. It was if the entire thing was alive and she was trapped inside its stomach, the wind’s continuous blowing becoming a kind of thudding sensation like the beating of a heart.

The crystalline candle holders on the walls were the only source of light, and they hadn’t been relit. She took out a small box of matches from the bathroom cupboard, making her way past the mirror and the bath and lighting up the candle. With a quick flick, the match lit up, illuminating the room and casting shadows on the walls that crept and slunk about like rats scurrying around. She cringed, shaking her head back and forth, trying not to get put off by the appearance of the bathroom. The window was shut, she just had to lock it and-

A scream down the hall. Shinedown’s voice crying out in terror before being swiftly silenced. She glanced towards the doorway, eyes widening in surprise. What the hell?!

Then she heard something click.

“What in?”

The bathtub faucet had suddenly turned on. Lori stiffened, turning around, seeing the faucet was now freely pouring water that was rising higher and higher, dark, oily water that appeared diseased, a sense of horror beginning to swell up in her like a balloon waiting to pop. She raced for the door, grabbing hold of the knob and turning it-

Locked? How in the hell!? She’d just walked in two minutes ago, the damn thing was open and it sure as hell wasn’t-

SPLASH. As she stepped away from the door, she noticed the water was now openly spilling out onto the bathroom tiles, the candle beginning to hiss as it seemed to grow in size, steam rising from the dark water that kept pouring freely. Lori took a step back, eyes widening, the blonde girl gulping as a shape began to rise from the overflowing bathtub, holding up a potion in its hooves, piercing green eyes with a deep red pupil gazing deep into her soul.

“This will only hurt for a second.” The dark-furred unicorn cheerily remarked, King Sombra pouring the potion into the dark water around him, a sickening, disgusting mockery of a rainbow spreading from the water as it crept up her skin. She could feel it peeling away her flesh, muscles being torn and ligaments sizzling off, and she screamed in vain, struggling to get free as she continued to sink deeper…deeper, her eyes sloughing from their sockets to be replaced with false, glassy insults, her hands becoming hooves as she howled-

Chariot gasped, kicking down the door to the bathroom, glancing left and right. He was SURE he’d heard a scream inside but…

Darkness there.

And nothing more.