• Published 3rd Nov 2014
  • 1,526 Views, 15 Comments

The Faithful Assistant’s Lie - Dashea Rayne



A lie that has been eating away at Spike for years finally comes to light

  • ...
1
 15
 1,526

The truth comes out

The faithful Assistant’s Lie

Spike stood before Twilight Sparkle, nervous, unsure how to broach the subject that had been eating at him for years now. Frowning, the violet Alicorn, who could tell something was bothering her faithful and number one assistant and had confronted him on it only moments ago when it had become apparent he wasn’t paying attention to the task at hand, finally stated, “Spike. You know that if you ever have any problem, you certainly can tell me,” as she idly levitated a couple books from the stack she was sorting onto a nearby bookcase, wishing, as she did so, that the baby dragon would tell her what the issue was.

Looking at Twilight, then away, Spike began twitching his tail. Wanting to be anywhere but where he currently was, he considered making a joke and excusing himself. Clearing his throat as the silence grew to an uncomfortable level, Spike, rather than posing the question that was on his mind, instead asked, “You read any good books lately?”

Twilight, giving the dragon a curious look, considered telling him about a fascinating book she had just discovered in the pile of books Cadence had sent her, but seeing the look on his face, like he suddenly wanted to be anywhere but in front of her, she told him in a stern voice, “Spike. I’m here for you and whatever you have to say, I’m sure can’t be that bad. Especially with all that we’ve been through” and wanting to give him excuse to leave if he wanted, the violet Alicorn said, “But if this isn’t something you can freely talk with me at the moment, than I have some very important work that needs to be taken care of.”

Relieved that Twilight had freely given him permission to leave, Spike almost did so. Instead, he thought, “No. This is something that needs to be said,” and clearing his throat, he said, “You remember how five years ago, when you were studying about the elements of harmony and learned about Nightmare Moon’s return? And you wrote to Celestia for advice?”

Nodding, wondering where all this was going, Twilight levitated a couple more books onto the appropriate shelves as she recalled her earlier days, before she’d come to Ponyville, and how much she’d grown since then.

In front of her, noticing the far off look the violet Alicorn had gotten, Spike wondered how to continue. Feeling conflicted, he glanced about the room and not really wanting to look at Twilight, shame washing over him because of what he’d done and that he needed to tell Twilight the truth about what he’d done, he watched Owlowiscious fly into the room and alight on a table. Twiddling his claws, the baby dragon started to speak, but instead let his mouth close with an audible click.

The noise breaking Twilight out of her reverie, the violet Alicorn stepped closer, reached out and placed a hoof on her number one assistant’s shoulder. Her expression softening, she tried to get Spike to look her in the eyes by telling him, “Whatever is the matter, you can tell me. I’ll understand. But if you feel like you cannot tell me, it can wait until you feel certain that you can tell me whatever it is that is bothering you.”

Still feeling conflicted and ashamed over what he had to say, the baby dragon cleared his throat again and wondered if maybe this was something that should wait for a later day. Looking at the violet Alicorn who had hatched him and raised him since, he twitched his tail and twiddled his claws and after a moment’s deliberation, decided that what he had to say couldn’t wait any longer. Taking a deep breath, feeling as if a weight had settled over him and their continuing friendship depended on what he was about to say, he tried to sort his thought in an orderly fashion, but finding everything just getting jumbled up, he blurted out, “And in response, the Princess wrote back, saying you should stop reading all those books, that there was more to life than just studying and that she was sending you to Ponyville to supervise Summer Sun Celebration and while there you should make some friends?” without giving a second thought to what he was saying

Another nod from Twilight and smiling as she continued to think back on that day and the ways that she’d changed since then, she barely heard when Spike said, “I may have altered a few words on that scroll when I was reading it,” and seeing the look on Twilight’s face as she realised what he’d just said, he hastily added, “And then, well, while you were upstairs in the library while everypony was downstairs at the party Pinkie threw, I might have told Celestia what I did and she just went along with it.”

A mixture of emotions flickered across the purple Alicorn’s face and for a moment Spike wasn’t sure what she would do before she belted out, “WHAT?!” as everything around them suddenly took on a white and purple hue, several object began levitating upward and Owlowiscious hooted in alarmed manner and took flight out of the room.

---

Elsewhere, Princess Celestia, enjoying herself with Luna and a couple guests from a distant land, whom neither had seen since some time before her Luna’s banishment, sipped delicately at the tea that had just been poured for her.

Next to her, one of the guests made a witty joke about something or other and Luna uttered a retort in response. Another of the guests, about to add something, their party was suddenly interrupted when everything on the table began shaking. Dishes vibrating on table, several spoons and a couple cups fell to the stone floor, while several of the guards tensed and began looking about. Feeling a build-up of magical energy, Princess Celestia glanced in the direction of Ponyville just as a violent explosion erupted upward and outward. Watching as a magick cloud that was shaded in her most faithful students magick aura, she dropped her teacup and thought, “Oh, spit.”

Author's Note:

This is a one-shot, flash-fiction story, meant to take a gentle poke at the letter Spike read to Twilight Sparkle in the first episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic