• Published 25th Apr 2012
  • 1,031 Views, 17 Comments

Charm Bracer - CharmBracer



Charm Bracer is an awkward and charming pony. He hates parties and social events.

  • ...
2
 17
 1,031

Prologue

Prologue

Charm Bracer, what an unfitting name for someone like me. I’m not charming, nor do I wear any sort of bracelet. According to my flank, my special talent was charming mares and colts alike, and that’s shown. I hated it, to be honest. All the flirtatious ponies walking up to me with all their talking, and singing, expecting some sort of charm out of me. Somehow or another, they usually got it, apparently. I hated it, hated it, and hated it more.

A charm bracelet adorned my flank, telling ponies that - according to other ponies I’ve met - I’m either “a jeweler” or a “charmer”. Quite frankly, neither reflected my personality. As a quiet and socially awkward pony, I’m not sure what it is that would make me “charming” in the eyes of another. It wasn’t my aptitude for singing, dancing, or even talking. My voice is very… monotonous after all. Not a tone to be heard from my throat.

That odd thing that other ponies do, where they all break out into song and dance wasn’t my thing. Also, since magic has to do with your cutie mark and your natural abilities, my magic is practically useless. I hardly ever have a mare I’m willing to charm, so my horn isn’t very useful.

I honestly couldn’t see why ponies thought me so charming, but they did. I suppose as life went on, I just rolled with it. I still remember the day I got my very unfitting cutie mark…

***

I was on my first date. She and I were walking around in downtown Manehatten where we lived. The stars, as per usual, weren’t showing past the city lights. All of Princess Luna’s nights were kind of disappointing to me, as I used to go out and stargaze with my Dad outside of the city. He said I’d gotten too old for stargazing, and that I should get used to the light polluted sky. My date spoke up, right in the middle of my thoughts.

“It’s a beautiful night tonight,” she said to me. I looked at her, and then I looked up and rolled my eyes.

“Yeah, the light pollution is absolutely stunning this time of year,” I replied with a snort. My obvious sarcasm went completely over her head though.

“I’m glad you agree,” she said with a smile, “you know, you’re quite the charmer.”

POOF! A flash of white light covered my flanks, and when it ceased, a charm bracelet with seven hearts was on my flank. I face-hoofed so hard it was painful.

“Well, looks like someone found his special talent,” the mare said with a smirk and nuzzle of my neck.

“Yeah… great…” I said, drawing out the “great”. This was so not what I expected my cutie mark to be. I was silently praying since birth that it would be something awesome and cool. Like a guitar, or maybe a record! I guess music wasn’t my “true talent”. I sighed a lot that night.

“Is something wrong, Charmie?” asked my date.

Very much so, I thought. “Charmie? Where’d you pull that from?” I asked in return.

She frowned deeply. “I thought it would be a cute nickname for you… if you don’t like it-“

“No, I didn’t mean it in that way at all, it’s a great nickname,” I said, placing my forehoof around her neck. I genuinely felt bad for being so rude to her; after all, she was just trying to be a good first date. I nuzzled her as affectionately as I felt would be comfortable for her.

She returned my nuzzle and looked deep into my eyes. I hadn’t noticed it before, but her eyes were the most striking shade of green. Her mouth started to move, but her words fell on deaf ears as I stared into those glossy forests of beauty.

“Aw! Charmie! That’s so sweet!” she said, hugging me tight. My eyes widened. Did I just say that out loud? I swear, that wasn’t supposed to leave my head! This cutie mark is NOT helping me keep up my trademark “I don’t care” personality. The second she pulled away from the hug, she kissed me. Not a little “oh, it’s my first kiss” kind of kiss. This was a “oh Celestia I want to be with you forever” kind of kiss.

Whoosh! The ground fell away; all other ponies in the vicinity were gone, lost in that amazing kiss. Ears to tail tip I was numb. My knees trembled and my heart pounded. It was the best kiss I’d ever experienced, not like that was saying much considering this was my first kiss and all.

Reality kicked back in and I realized that the kiss was over. I was standing there dumbstruck in the middle of town. My eyes were coated with a pleased gloss, and my knees threatened to buckle.

“That was… amazing,” I drabbled out when my lips got feeling. She giggled and pulled me along by my forehoof. As soon as I finished walking her home, I headed back to mine. I contemplated my first date, but more than anything, my first kiss. I never did get another kiss from that mare, she moved on to dating hoofball stars and other such athletic ponies.

But as I lay in my bed that very same night, I thought. I thought about how that kiss happened upon my lips. I thought about how I managed to get that beautiful mare. I thought about how maybe my cutie mark wasn’t so wrong after all. I started to build up confidence. I didn’t need a kiss from that same mare because I could get so many other ones.

I liked my cutie mark, and it made sense.

***

That confidence soon dissipated as I realized that almost every day, mares and colts alike would be prancing over to me in order to try to get some charm out of me. They always did, usually mares over colts because I wasn’t too much into colts. Usually for them it was some sort of charming accident.

I was sick of Manehatten, I was sick of city life. I was sick of everything that came with that city. I decided to move far, far away from Manehatten. I hopped the first train that was leaving that day, and as the conductor yelled, I learned my destination.

“All aboard for Ponyville! All aboard who’s comin’ aboard!” Ponyville? I thought. This was going to be a long train ride…