• Published 28th Oct 2014
  • 3,794 Views, 114 Comments

Persona 4: Return to Inaba - unleashedtwilight



Time had passed for the hero Yu Narukami, and it was already summer vacation. He remembered making a promise to all of his friends in Inaba that he would visit them whenever he got the chance. But the fog of lies do not simply fade away in one world.

  • ...
9
 114
 3,794

The Shadow World

July 10th, 2012
Early Morning
Fog

As Twilight got up from her bed, she heard a sort of commotion coming from outside her castle. “Huh?” She said walking downstairs toward the door. But before she could even open the door, she could hear what they were saying.

“I can’t believe this happened…” One female pony said.

“How could anything like this happen in Ponyville?”

“In Ponyville? How the hay could this even happen in Equestria!?” more ponies kept talking amongst themselves over Celestia knows what. Twilight finally opened the door to see what everypony was talking about. Everyone just stopped and tilted their heads at her.

“What’s going on? Why is everypony here all at once like this?” Twilight asked looking at the crowd of ponies.

“You’re joking right?” One mint green unicorn asked.

“What??”

Everypony slowly turned their heads back up. Twilight slowly followed their gazes. But what she saw on her castle was something that terrified her. No, she was in utter disbelief.

“Is that… C-C-Carrot Top??” Twilight said. Indeed, what everypony saw hanging upside down and lifeless was Carrot Top. “Why…? Who could kill her like this!?” Twilight then stopped in realization of something. “No, but that was two days ago.” She said thinking of the Midnight Film. “Then again, in that film it looked like she was running from something…” She pacing around thinking of what to do. “I have to notify the other princesses…”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


July 10th, 2012
Afternoon
Cloudy


“Ugh… where the heck are we?” Chie said looking around. “Wow, this place looks really colorful.”

“Hey, how come I can’t feel my feet?” Kanji asked getting into consciousness as well.

“Actually, now that you mention it, I can’t feel them either.” Yosuke said trying to get up. “Or my hands……… what the hell…!?

“What?? What is--!?” Yukiko stopped and quickly started laughing louder than before.

“It’s not funny!!” Yosuke yelled.

“But you’re a pony! We’re all ponies!”

“What!?” the others exclaimed.

“You have got to be kidding me!” Rise exclaimed.

“You’re telling me!” Chie exclaimed.

“You know, it kind of figures that you’d be a green pony.” Yosuke said.

“Is that really important right now!?” Chie snapped.

“This is awesome!!” Teddie said running around on all fours. “What a totally new and amazing experience! I get to live life as a bear, human AND a pony!”

“I don’t get why you guys are getting so upset about this. I think we could get used to it.” Kanji said.

“Why am I not surprised to hear you say that?” Yousuke mused.

“You wanna repeat that!?” Kanji said in annoyance.

“Actually, I think I could get used to it.” Narukami finally said.

“Not you too!” Yosuke exclaimed. “Dude, this is more for girls!”

“Is this better?” Narukami said in a higher pitch like he did in the group date cafe last year.

“DON’T BRING THAT BACK!!”

“This has got to be the most embarrassing moment of my life…” Naoto said with her head hanging down.

“I don’t know, you look kind of cute that way.” Kanji said blushing a bit which made Naoto blush as well. The others started giggling a bit. “W-what? What did I say?? Hey shut up!”

Everyone just broke out laughing. Some time passed and everyone finally got their cool back. “Okay, so let’s think for a moment.” Naoto started. “It may be possible that our transformation is some sort of side effect of entering this place.”

“Uh guys?” Yosuke said.

“If this place is anything like the T.V. world we know, then I suggest we stay together and avoid and avoid any contact with shadows for now.”

“I don’t really think--”

“It’s best to conserve our energy in case something big--”

“GUYS!” Yosuke exclaimed cutting Naoto off.

“Jeez, what is it loud mouth??” Chie asked.

“I don’t think this place is like the T.V. world at all…” He said with his glasses already off.

“Huh?” Rise said taking off her glasses as well. “Hey you’re right. There’s no fog here.” Everyone took off their glasses as well and put them in their pockets for now. “And you know what else?... I can’t summon my persona here…”

“Wait, so if this isn't the T.V. World, then where the heck are we?” Yosuke asked.

“Hmm…” Chie said in thought. “Is it possible that maybe the T.V. brought us into a totally different world?” Everyone stopped and looked at Chie in shock. “What?? It’s just a thought…”

“Actually, you may be right.” Narukami said looking toward the distance. “Look over there, I can see a small town over there in the distance.”

“Maybe we can go over there and get some answers.” Naoto suggest. “Let’s go.” Everyone nodded and followed.

------------------------------------------------------


After some time walking (and falling over their own hooves half of the time), they finally managed to reach the small town. Kanji looked over at a sign. “Ponyville huh?”

“Dude that sounds straight up girly…” Yosuke said.

“It might be girly to us Yosuke, but it could be a completely normal thing for the residence of this town.” Naoto pointed out. “It would be best to not point out the obvious that we aren't from here.”

“Well there is one thing that stands out already.” Narukami said. “We’re all wearing clothes. Almost no one here is.”

“Oh crap.” Yosuke facehoofed, “You’re right… and if that’s not bad enough, our clothes look nothing like theirs.”

“Let’s just just stay calm alright?” Yukiko sighed. “We just came here to ask questions, remember?”

“Yukiko’s right. Let’s spread out and ask around.” Chie said. “I’ll go with Yukiko. Kanji, you can go with Naoto. Narukami, you and Yosuke pair up.”

“And I’ll go with you two!” Teddie exclaimed wrapping his hooves around both Chie and Yukiko. Almost immediately getting a hit in the face from a green hoof. “Ooowww! What was that for!?”

“I don’t really trust you with the two of us.” Chie mused.

“Why not!?”

“Because you’re a giant pervert?” Yosuke mused as well.

“You’re a bigger pervert than I am!”

“What?? Am not! You’re the one who constantly tries to pick up chicks everywhere we go!”

“Actually, you’re both equally perverts.” Narukami said.

“Gee, that makes me feel better…”

“That’s enough.” Naoto stated firmly. “Teddie, go with Yosuke and Narukami.”

“Awwwww! But I wanna hang out with my favorite--”

“Not gonna happen!” Chie interrupted Teddie by placing a hoof over his mouth.

“Let’s go.”

------------------------------------------------------

While the other groups were looking around Ponyville for answers, Yu Narukami seemed particularly fixed on the castle ahead of him. “That seems like a good place to start.”

“Yeah, let’s go.” Yosuke nodded in agreement and followed, followed by Teddie.

As they were headed toward the castle, they were quickly stopped by an earth pony with gray mane and tail. “Excuse me, but do you have clearance to be here?”

“Huh? Who are you?” Yosuke asked.

“My name is Mayor Mare, and I apologise but Princess Twilight can not take any visits at the moment. This is a crime scene.

“What happened?” Narukami asked.

“Well… it’s unusual but, there was a dead pony hanging upside down from that castle.”

“Did you say…” Teddie started.

“Upside down… dead?” Yosuke finished.

“Yes… as you can see Princess Twilight is in a meeting with the other three princesses.” The Mayor pointed over at the four alicorns.

“Whoa… those are princesses??” Yosuke asked looking over at them.

“You’re joking right?” Mayor Mare asked with a raised eyebrow. “Celestia and Luna have been our princesses for thousands of years.”

“D-did you just say thousands!?” Yosuke exclaimed.

“He hasn't had much sleep today.” Narukami said.

“Fair enough.” the Mayor said. “Now please, I ask that you stay away from here.”

“Actually, I’d like to ask those princesses a few questions about this whole case.”

“What could you possibly tell them that our investigation team hasn't found out?”

“I can tell you what killed them.”

There was a moment of silence as if everyone heard. When in fact every pony did hear; the four princesses included. Celestia was the first to turn to them and get closer. “Oh crap dude, do you see what you did?” Yosuke asked with a tone of nervousness.

“What did you say?” Celestia asked with a serious tone.

“Look, my friend here--”

“Come with me.” Celestia urged them to follow. “Now.”

“Ugh…” Yosuke groaned and followed.

“Relax, we came to ask questions and we are.” Narukami reassured him.

“Yeah, good point. Alright then, maybe you should lead the way again.”

Yu nodded and continued following, as did Teddie without saying a word. As the three of them got closer to the other princesses, immediately, they were transported into the castle by teleportation.

“Whoa! what!?” Yosuke exclaimed looking around.

“Wow… this castle is bear-y huge!” Teddie exclaimed looking around in awe listening to his own echo.

“Quiet down!” Yosuke whispered.

“Ahem.” Celestia cleared her throat drawing the attention of Yu, Yosuke, and Teddie. “I must say, I don’t think I am familiar with you three in Ponyville, are you visiting?”

“Uh… yeah! We’re visiting from our own town. In Inaba.”

“Inaba…?” Luna asked. “I can’t say I am familiar of such a town in Equestria.”

“Equestria…?” Yosuke whispered to Yu.

“Kind of accurate if you ask me.” Yu whispered back.

“True enough.”

“Excuse me.” Cadence interrupted. “Outside you mentioned something about knowing what killing this mare.” She walked closer to Yu. “How could you know something that our investigation team couldn’t figure out?”

“Because…” Yu paused for a moment. “Ponies in Inaba died the same way. Hanging upside down.”

The four princesses stopped and looked at each other. Finally Twilight was the one to speak. “May we ask your names?”

“Yu Narukami.”

“Oh, uh, I’m Yosuke Hanamura.”

“And I’m Teddie!” He exclaimed sounding the most enthusiastic of the group.

Twilight nodded, “My name is Twilight Sparkle.” She turned her head to Yu. “Yu, I just have a quick question to ask.”

“Go ahead.” Yu agreed.

“Have you heard of--”

“Twilight, I told you not to mention that anymore.” Celestia started sternly.

“But Celestia--!”

“Nothing like that in Equestrian history exists!” she exclaimed. “A film that comes on at midnight when it rains? That sounds like a rumor that a young colt made for nightmare night.” she said which caught the three outsiders of Equestria off guard. “There is no--”

“Midnight Channel.” Yu said interrupting Celestia now. “Everyone just stared at Narukami in shock.

“I think we know the rumor you're talking about.” Yosuke added. “At midnight when it rains, you see someone on your screen, and who ever that is is supposed to be your soulmate, right?”

“That’s just like how Rainbow Dash explained it to me…” Twilight said.

“Believe me, its not like that at all.” Yosuke continued. “The Midnight channel for us was basically a warning. A warning of who was going to be kidnapped and killed next.”

Twilight then gasped with her eyes widened.

“What is it Twilight?” Cadence asked.

“I knew it.. I knew I saw her on that screen… She was definitely running from something!” Twilight let out. “Princess Celestia, remember when before she died, she went missing? Nopony had seen her at all yesterday.”

“Do you think we can see where you saw her last? The T.V. you saw her in?” Yu asked.

“T.V.?” Twilight asked tilting her head.

------------------------------------------------------

“You saw it in a freaking movie theater!?” Yosuke exclaimed looking up at the giant screen in front of him.

“Twilight, I still think this is a bit strange to be true…” Celestia sighed.

“Well if our suspicions are correct…” Yu started and slowly raised his hoof about to touch the screen. His hoof then slowly entered like there was a portal in front of him.

“WHAT. IN. THE. WORLD!?” Twilight exclaimed at the top of her longues. “How in Equestria are you doing that!?”

“Look, it’s kind of hard to explain.”

“Well start explaining!” the other three princess were all in complete shock seeing what they were seeing.

“I’m sorry but I’m afraid it’s too complicated to explain right now. Wait here.” he said as he slowly went in further followed by Teddie and Yosuke.

“Hey! where the hay do you think you’re go-IINNNGGG!!” Twilight exclaimed tripping over Yu and falling through the screen with them.

“TWILIGHT!!” The three princesses exclaimed all placing their hooves on the screen, only feeling a flat surface. “TWILIGHT!!!!”

------------------------------------------------------

“Ugh… where, are we…?” Twilight asked getting up and looking around. “Huh??” She kept looking around, but all she saw was an open field filled with fog. Yosuke, Yu, and Teddie all got up. Yu and Yosuke both putting on their glasses to see through the thick fog.

“I knew it, the fog is the same.” Yosuke said looking around. “Man, are we in some open field?”

“How in the world can you see anything here? It’s too foggy!”

“Oh!” Teddie said putting his hoof in his pocket. “I almost forgot… here!” he said pulling out a pair of purple framed glasses. “This will help you see through the fog like us.” he said giving the pair to Twilight.

Twilight slowly took the pair with her magic and placed them over her face. “Whoa… its like the fog doesn’t exist!”

“Where did you even get that pair?” Yosuke asked.

“Well, I got bored so I decided to make a spare for each of us in case anything happened to ours.” Teddie said with a proud smile.

“Huh, smart move bear.”

“Okay, we saw the inside, how do we get out?” Twilight asked getting more freaked out.

“Hang on, we have to look around first.” Yu said.

“Look around for what??”

“Clues, anything that could help us with this case.” Yosuke answered. “We still don’t know the motive of the killer, that’s why we need to look around.” He turned to Teddie. “Hey Ted, do you smell anything here?”

“Let me check.” Teddie closed his eyes and started sniffing around. “Aha! I’m sensing some strange energy coming from that direction.”

“Cool, lead the way.”

“Wait, are you guys sure about this?? I don’t feel too safe…” Twilight said standing still.

“Sheesh, you sound like Yukiko.” Yosuke said shrugging. “Alright, feel free to stay here and wait for us.” he said as the three of them walked away.

“Yes, I think I’ll do just that for now…” Twilight said, but then she heard strange noises of what sounded like growling near by. “Wait for me!” she exclaimed running to them, quickly holding onto Yu.

“Jeez, for a princess, you sure look scared.” Yosuke chuckled.

“Be quiet! I've never seen this place alright!?” Twilight snapped. “Now what was that back there!? how did you even go through the screen like that?? And how the hay are we going to get out of here!?!?” But before she could even get an answer out, she saw something in the distance. “Wait a second… is that… Princess Celestia’s Castle??”