• Published 17th Oct 2014
  • 629 Views, 4 Comments

Agent Con Mane in Mission to the Griffon Kingdom (to be rewritten) - Fairytail



A filly living in the Griffon Kingdom contacts Mane6 and says she is willing to defect to Equestria along with a long sought after spell book. Her one condition? That Con Mane be the agent that escorts her to Equestria.

  • ...
0
 4
 629

Chapter 6: Cloak Daggers and the Minotaur

“Where in blazes are you taking me?” Joe complained after several long minutes of walking through dead countryside. If Joe had known that they would be spending so much time in the humid air of the late evening, he wouldn't have worn his jacket and bowtie. His frazzled mane had long ago stopped cooperating with the comb.

Cloak Daggers, on the other hoof, did not seem to mind the humidity at all. Despite his heavy, black cape, he kept a progressive pace and positive attitude. Even the red feather tucked into the wide brim of his hat seemed defiantly lively. “One of my sons is driving the chariot with two illusions in the back in the opposite direction. The Griffons will be following it for hours.” The Great Storm Cloud turned a pumpkin orange as the sun made its retreat beyond the horizon. The light of the moon did not have the power to pierce the thick blanket. The sky dissolved into a starless night. “I think you will like my friends. I use them like the Griffons use their monsters.” Daggers stopped walking and coughed a few times before taking a drink of water from the canteen in his saddlebag.

The dusty, dead trail stopped at a dusty, dead mountain range. The foothill was tall and steep and was decorated with dead plant life. The pain in Joe’s legs became all too prevalent. Joe looked to Daggers with icy dissatisfaction. Cloak saw the disdain and laughed it off. “Don’t worry,” he grinned, “we are not going over the mountain. We are going through it.”

Daggers hooved up a rock and tossed it at the mountain wall. The rock bounced off, or did it? Joe could have sworn he saw the rock bounce but at the same time he was second guessing himself. He found that the more he tried to focus and analyze the earth, the more his focus and attention were strained. It was a bizarre feeling that he had felt before in Janeighca.

Daggers continued his explanation, “It’s an illusion created by the Breezies’ magic.”

“Breezies?” Joe exclaimed. He had heard many tales of the Breezies. Their existence were believed to be a myth by most ponies or an extinct species by scientists. Joe himself had never encountered any evidence of their existence outside of the ‘eyes only’ files within Mane6 that assured them to be real.

“Not all creatures of these lands obediently rolled over when the Griffons took over. These tiny creatures used their knowledge of ancient magic to hide from the Griffons. They are a secret tribe with a unique culture.” Daggers stepped closer towards the ‘mountain’ and took a final survey of the surrounding area-- particularly the sky. When he was sure that there was nopony else around, he raised his head and shouted, “Orek, Seu-su Meht!

The muscles in the back of Joe’s eyes strained as two realities came at war in his mind. He was forced to wince and turn his head away. When he looked back the mountain was gone, and in its place was a massive grove. A field of lush, healthy grass sprawled out before him. Mossy stones glittered with dew and trees that rose to his muzzle bore fruits the size of almonds. Tiny structures decorated the fields. They were houses, only hoof tall. It looked like a village of dollhouses. Throughout the trees and houses, strange objects hung from the branches and hooks. Hollowed out reads and hanging animal bones. The air felt different as well. The grassy field didn't feel humid or heavy. Joe could only describe it as a perfume with no odor. It was alien yet welcoming. Mysterious yet respectable. As Joe carefully stepped into the field of tiny trees and houses, it felt like he was the one who was magically grown beyond his normal size. It was awkward. He tread carefully, afraid to even disturb the blades of grass.

The village was also quiet.Despite the signs of civilization, it was empty and eerie. That is until one creature emerged from one of the tiny wooden houses. It looked pony enough. A head, a body, four hooves and a tail. But it was tiny enough to rest on a hoof. Its legs were long and skinny like a spider. Large, insect like wings with scales of dazzling colors protruded from it’s back. The wings lifted the creature into the air but they did not flutter or buzz. It just glided slowly towards Daggers like the seed of a dandelion. A pair of long antennae sprouted from a delicate mane. As the creature grew closer, Joe could make out its eyes which were massive compared to the rest of its face. They were glowing and attractive. The combination of attractive eyes and wings reminded Joe disturbingly of Parasprites.

Daggers lifted his hoof and the tiny creature landed softly. “Huital, Cloak Daggers.” It squeaked. The accent was like nothing Joe had heard before. “Nu dat suum-Orai.” Although Joe could not make out what the creature was saying, the tone of its voice and the pleasant smile on Daggers’ face must have meant something good. The Breezie lifted off and floated backwards deeper into the village. Its brilliant eyes beckoned them forward.

“Follow me, my friend,” Daggers said, “and be mystified.”

Joe was mystified alright. The inner glades of the Breezie village emitted a certain ethereal glow that contrasted with the starless night above. It was dreamlike. Joe was lost in a fog of disbelief. The sole Breezie shouted some more unknown words. It must have been a call of assurance as hundreds of tiny heads curiously poked out of the doors and windows of the tiny homes in fascination. They carefully glided from their hiding spaces and, upon recognizing Daggers, happily surrounded him in an adorable cloud of gossamer wings and squeaky, indecipherable chatter. Then they saw Joe. They all shrunk back with concern. Joe imagined that Daggers was likely met with the same fear and distrust upon his first visit with this delicate creatures. The conversation between Daggers and the Breezies sounded foreboding and the looks on the Breezies faces were anxious at the very least. Joe understood the signs and stayed a clear distance away from the flock of Breezies.

Daggers spoke to the Breezie leader in their language. Daggers seemed to be vouching for Joe from what Joe could tell. The leader ordered the others and they obeyed. They glided over and grabbed Joe by the forelegs. Despite their legs being no stronger than fallen feathers, they pulled Joe to guide him forward. The light touches of their legs and wings and antennae tickled Joe’s skin. He fought against his snorts and giggles. He was afraid that he might offend the little guys and he wasn't sure if his heart could take it.

The look on Daggers’ face when he returned to Joe was far different than the heavenly bliss from earlier. “I just spoke with the Breezie Chief. It seems we have come on the wrong night. The magical breeze that gives these creatures their power has died due to the increasing strength of the Storm Cloud. Tonight they will perform a ritual to try and reinvigorate the pollen that is the source of their power. But as things stand now, the pollen will die and their whole civilization will crumble. And to make matters worse, the illusion that protects their home would vanish and the Griffons would find them.”

“Anything we can do to help the little guys?” Joe asked.

“I’m afraid not.” Daggers shook his head solemnly. “This kind of magic is unique to the Breezies. But do not worry. The illusion spell will only be down for a short time. Now come. We are bidden to the shrine. We shall watch the ceremony.”

Joe and Daggers sat in the very back before a miniature amphitheater carved out of pebbles in a tiny ditch. The hundreds of Breezies sat not only on the stone bleachers but also throughout the tiny trees and on the roofs of nearby houses. At the base of the amphitheater was an old tree stump, withered away into the shape of an altar. A procession of Breezies wafted in from behind Joe without sound. A wing kissed his ear and his flinched in surprise. The Breezies in the parade each carried tiny saddlebags made from the tops of acorns. In each bag was a pile of what Joe could have sworn was gold dust. One by one, the Breezies approached the altar and added their dust to the pile. The pile of golden particles grew big enough to where it was a sizable mound that covered the stump, taller than any Breezie.

The Breezie Chief hovered over the golden mountain and spoke loudly and confidently. Daggers translated to Joe.

Horg-no frok! Nruren-Jubileeh! “The Breezies who have carried the pollen will present it to their altar. Once the blessing is given, the pollen will glow.” Shnor-reising. Hubratra-Raynasor. Sut-Sut Drugh. “The Breezie Chief is giving his blessing now. The pollen must be empowered by the magic breeze. If there is not enough breeze, or if the breeze is too strong, the pollen my die. A falling leaf or even a breath may be enough to alter the strength of the magic. So no matter what happens, do and say nothing.”

Joe immediately held in his breath and watched in silence. He felt another gentle kiss at the back of his neck. The kiss wafted through his messy mane and the corners of Daggers’ cape danced slightly. The breeze picked up. It was cool and calming. The tiny trees of the village swayed from side to side like graceful dancers at the ballet. The wings and antennae of the Breezies all perked up at the touch of the wind. Their wings came to life as they reflected rainbows of light through their polished scales. Joe’s ears were blessed with the sounds of beautiful music. He realized what the bones and hollowed reeds in the trees were. They were wind chimes and woodwinds that sang the sweet melody of the breeze. The entire village was alive with sound and color. It was quiet, peaceful and relaxing. Joe felt like he was in the hooves of a beautiful mare that lovingly caressed his heart. Or perhaps it was more like a mother, singing a lullaby to her scared child. The small mound of pollen on the altar shone brilliantly, just like Daggers predicted. The light grew brighter and brighter until it hurt Joe’s eyes.

And then the breeze dissipated. The music stopped and the light grew still. Joe reveled in the calmness he felt in his heart. He was honored to have witness the ceremony and for the first time since entering the Nests he didn't regret leaving his donut shop. But then his smile quickly faded. Something wasn't right. The Breezies weren't celebrating. Although he could not make out what they were saying, it was clear that the Breezies talked among themselves with fear and concern. Joe turned to Daggers who was equally as confused.

“The spell didn't finish.” Daggers said, “Something stopped it.”

There was a howl in the distance. A blood-curdling howl that silenced the world. Everypony was still as stone. A second howl answered the first, higher pitched and even louder. “What was that?” Daggers asked.

“It sounded like a Timberwolf.” said Joe.

“Timberwolves? There are no Timberwolves in the Nests.You are paranoid, Con.”

As if in snide reply to Daggers’ remark, another howl ripped the air. The source was unmistakable. All in attendance turned their head to the side to behold the sight of a pair of Timberwolves slowly advancing towards them. Their wooden bodies scraped against the sides of the Breezie homes as foul smelling saliva dripped from their gaping maws. Their eyes were a hungry yellow glow. The Breezies immediately squealed in panic and flew off in all directions. One of the wolves licked its pointy stick teeth with a mossy tongue and leaped towards a hovering cloud of Breezies. Joe jumped forward and met the wolf in the air with a powerful punch to the jaw. The wolf’s frail wooden body splintered and broke apart but the wooden fragments quickly levitated and reformed back into their proper shape reforming the wolf.

Daggers’ eyes were wide with disbelief. He kept muttering how impossible the situation was under his breath. He unfolded his wings and took to the skies in an effort to corral the Breezies and guide them to safety. But then the earth shook with a tremendous quake. It distracted Joe from his fight with the wolves. He turned around and saw the towering figure of a transparent, blue bear, taller than even a normal pony’s home. With a single step, the Ursa Minor’s toenail alone leveled numerous Breezie homes.

Joe looked around the village as more and more monsters appeared. A Manticore impaled and uprooted a tree with its tail. And on the other side of the glade, a Cockatrice had turned a small group of Breezies into stone. Breezies tried to escape and find shelter but their homes were systematically crumbled into dust and without their magical breeze they could not fly fast or high enough.

“How?” Daggers cried out, “How did this happen?” The Pegasus was in a daze. Joe rescued a small cluster of cowering Breezies by levitating a Cockatrice and throwing it into another Timberwolf allowing the creatures to float away before it reformed. Joe ran to Daggers and looked him in the eye.

“Daggers, now is not the time for that! The monsters just keep coming! We can’t fight them. We need to focus on evacuating the Breezies.”

A deep booming voice rang out, “I wouldn't bother with that, Agent Mane.” Joe turned his head and he saw the hulking form of the Minotaur mercenary looming over him. Smiling devilishly, the Minotaur snapped his fingers and a Manticore stepped forward with a cage full of Breezies hanging from its mouth. The other monsters had similarly captured the rest of the Breezies. All the cages and crying Breezies were collected at the center of town along with the laughing Minotaur. The Minotaur plucked one of the creatures and dangled it up to his face by its wing, “These little guys are so cute. You know I think I may display them alongside my butterfly collection.”

Cloak Daggers’ face became an inferno of rage. He took off and hovered in front of the Minotaur’s face. “You’re business is with me, Minotaur! My friends don’t have to be involved.”

“The Minotaur laughed, “Oh I’m afraid your little Equestrian friend there is very involved. You’d think the Griffons would just ignore the cold blooded murder of one of their own?”

Joe and Daggers stared at each other in blank confusion. “What are you talking about, horn head!?” Joe asked.

“I’ll deal with you later.” The Minotaur scoffed, “ But first I've got a score to settle with Cloak Daggers!”

“Con Mane!” Daggers yelled out, “you must go and help the Breezies. This is between the Minotaur and me.”

Joe could feel the unparalleled animosity that existed between Daggers and his foe. As much as Joe wanted to help, he knew better than to interfere with another pony’s fight. Joe looked to the monsters. They were loading the Breezie cages onto a series of wagons. The Breezies were crying out for dear life and Joe didn't need a translator to know what they were saying. “Just don’t get yourself turned into custard.” Joe said to Daggers.

“I’ll be fine. Now go!” With that blessing, Joe took off towards the army of monsters. Daggers planted his hooves on the ground and arched his back in preparation. The Minotaur obliged by kneeling down into a runner’s position, his knuckles touching the ground. With a sickly satisfied smile, the Minotaur lowered his worn down horns and pointed them at Daggers. “Well then…” Daggers’ words held a finality about them, “Ole!

The two opponents charged at each other with reckless ferocity. Daggers streamlined his wings and transferred his running momentum into a ballistic trajectory. The Minotaur dug his tiny hooves into the dirt and relied on his ancestral roots. The bitter enemies met and, despite Daggers’ attempts to slyly dodge, they collided and the Minotaur’s brute strength sent the Pegasus tumbling several feet away and into the ruin of a nearby Breezie house. Daggers coughed violently as he struggled back to his hooves.
The Minotaur towered over Daggers’ battered frame and spat on the pony. “How pathetic. What happened to you, Cloak Daggers? Where is your old Pegasopolan spirit? You are nothing but a sick, old pony. Have a nice nap, Daggers. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some cute little pixies to collect.”
Donut Joe continued to fight through the monsters on his way towards the captured Breezies. The Cockatrice were easy enough to dispatch due to their light weight and he had managed to fire a laser from his magic watch into the eye of a Manticore. Now Joe found himself being hunted down by a Timberwolf. Joe stood his ground and waited for the Timberwolf to get within range of his magic. Joe cast his baking spell and surrounded the Timberwolf with magical heat. The monster whimpered in pain and before long, his wooden body erupted into flames. The roaring heat of the flaming corpse was enough to keep most of the other monsters at bay. Joe charged through them and made his way to one of the wagons. Joe concentrated his magic on the lock and attempted to open it.

Signi-frika-tor!” One of the Breezies cried out.

Joe shushed the Breezie. “Would you stop screaming? I’m here to save you!” Joe tried to concentrate on the lock but the Breezies screeches continued.

Luk uut bee-hynd jyu!” Joe looked at the Breezie in bewilderment. It almost sounded like it said--

The earth beneath Joe’s hooves lurched and heaved him into the air. Joe flew several feet before he hit the ground. The wagons holding the Breezies teetered in the shock wave and almost fell to their sides. Joe looked up and saw the towering, transparent image of the Ursa Minor. Saliva dripped from its snarling fangs.

Joe looked around frantically. He knew he wouldn't be able to outrun a monster of that size. And fighting it was out of the question. It was not the size of the beast that intimidated Joe. In his prime he had faced Hydras and even Dragons. What made Ursa’s different was their construct. Ursas were comprised of mostly magic and as such physical forms of attack had no effect. Ursas had to be defeated with magic and although Joe was a Unicorn he admittedly was not the most adept in that department. He could levitate and he could bake but he knew he didn't have enough power in those spells to affect a creature of that size. The Ursa’s only weakness was music, and Joe was no Sapphire Shores.

There was possibly one other spell he could try. It was a spell he only used once before on Janeighca. However, he had not tried it since, and he feared what consequences may arise from relying on such power.

The Ursa lowered its head and licked its lips with a sickly purple tongue. Joe could see the Breezie cages through the giant bear’s translucent legs. He could see the sorrow and desperation in their gigantic and alluring eyes. Joe closed his eyes and concentrated on the memories of a Unicorn with a curved red horn and glowing evil eyes. Tiny black tendrils wrapped around Joe’s horn along with tiny green and purple bubbles of wicked energy.

Before Joe could charge the Shadow Magic any further, he was interrupted by the painful roars of the Ursa. The Ursa cried out in pain as its massive frame toppled over, away from the Breezies. It hit the earth with a thunderous crash that shook the foundations of the village.

Joe scanned the area in shock. He looked around for the source of whatever it was that vanquished the Ursa Minor. Then he saw it standing atop the Ursa’s unconscious body. A large stallion stood triumphantly on top of the beast. Joe couldn't make out any of the pony’s details outside of the strange grey color of his coat. Joe also noticed that the grey pony was an Earth Pony, devoid of any conventional magic. Joe’s mouth hung wide open at the impossibility.

Before Joe could extend his thanks to the mysterious figure, he leaped off of the Ursa with startling speed. Joe tried to follow him by going around the beast but that took far too long and the grey pony was already vanished.

Joe turned his attention back to the Breezies. One by one, he super heated the padlocks on the the cages and violently ripped them off. As he freed the Breezies from their cages, he instructed them to meet him at the altar. He feared the Breezies wouldn't understand him but thankfully the Breezie Chief that Daggers was speaking to earlier translated his words which they all answered with a lively "Jrui!”.

the monsters that remained continued to scour the village for any left over Breezies. They continued to uproot the tiny trees and level the tiny houses. On his way to the altar, Joe was forced to burn down another Timberwolf. He also knocked out, and in some cases killed, as many Cockatrice as he could find in the hopes that it would free some of the petrified Breezies.

Hundreds of the Breezies made it safely to the altar. Their teary eyes all looked to Joe for instruction and hope. He felt the weight of their stares. Their mousy whimpers helped to fuel the adrenaline in his blood. Their frail frames and delicate wings were somehow encouraging.

“Ok everypony! Here’s the plan!” Joe commanded. “Start piling up all the pollen you got onto this altar. I’m going to distract the monsters and start corralling them to you.” After the Chief translated, the Breezies became very distraught. “When I give the signal, blow the biggest breeze you can muster towards the monsters!”

Many of the Breezies cried in panic. The Chief seemed to be trying to encourage them and calm them down. The Chief’s little pep talk worked, as the Breezies all put on brave faces and shouldered their reluctance. “Ticki-nacto yan!” the Chief cried out encouragingly.

The Breezies scattered. Some flew off with great, fear-induced speed. Other crept away slowly and cautiously. As for Joe, he ran out to the center of the village where the monsters were growing frustrated with their search.

“Hey you big ugly brutes!” Joe called out to the monsters. The several Timberwolves and Manticores turned their heads. “Why don’t you pick on somepony your own size!?” The monsters snarled and lurched their backs. Joe focused on his breathing and drew power from the fear within him. “Yeah that’s right I’m talking to you, sleazeball! You call yourselves monsters? I've seen scarier things after eating hot sauce!”
The monsters barked and roared. They all charged onto Joe, their jaws snapping in rage. Once Joe was confident that most of the monsters were chasing him, he turned and bolted back towards the altar. Joe galloped faster than he ever had since retirement. His slightly out of shape sides began to cringe. But then he could feel the hot sticky breath on his flank and for the first time he was actually thankful that he had a short tail.

Joe made it to the altar. He saw the cloud of Breezies waiting behind a mound of golden pollen, large enough to almost consume the stump. The Breezies all tightened up when they saw the army of monsters behind Joe.

“Now, Breezies, now!” He cried. The Breezie Chief gave his orders and the tiny creatures focused their magic through their wings and antennae. They concentrated on the air around them which began to pleasantly swirl. The still air became a breeze which the Breezies channeled towards the pollen. Upon touching the breeze, the pollen glowed with ethereal light just like before. Joe shielded his eyes and the monsters were also left blinded but still they charged forward. “More!” Joe exclaimed, “Come on Breezies, breeze harder!”

The Breezies concentrated and strained their wings. Several of the Breezies linked their hooves together and tethered their power. As the hundreds of Breezies shared their magic, the light breeze that was normally their specialty became a gust. The gust was just strong enough to lift the pollen particles into the air. A cloud of golden dust flew towards the monsters just as they reached the amphitheater. The dust surrounded the monsters and one by one they succumbed to fits of sneezing. Manticores batted at their snouts as Timberwolves tried to hack out the lumps caught in their throats. Cockatrices cried through irritated eyes which caused even more stone Breezies to be freed. Before long the monsters started to retreat in order to escape the nasty cloud of pollen.

The Minotaur had already returned to the wagons. His snout was fuming with steam at the sight of losing his specimens. A whimpering Manticore nearly toppled him over as it ran off. Confused, the Minotaur looked behind him and saw a cloud of golden dust. His monster servants were running out of the cloud, sneezing and choking. The Minotaur roared orders in hopes of rallying his troops but it was in vain. The monsters were lost in their own sense of panic. “Fall back you mangy beasts!” The Minotaur screamed, “Fall back! I think they got the message.”

The monsters all ran from the village until they were on the other side of where a mountain once stood. The Minotaur was the last to retreat. Before leaving he looked back on his work. Tiny broken houses and scarred earth were all that remained of the tiny town. The burning flames of dead Timberwolves had even migrated to surround some of the other houses and bathed the area with an orange glow. The Minotaur sneered and chuckled to himself before leaving with bitter satisfaction.

“Ain't allergies the worst?” Joe said as the pollen cloud dissipated. Joe half expected celebratory cheers to come from behind him. But then the harsh reality snapped him from the stupor of his pride. The devastation wrought by the invasion of monsters was undeniable. Families wept around the rubble that was once their home. Several Breezies, the Chief included, scurried on the ground in desperation to pick up the individual specks of scattered pollen that had intermingled within the dirt. In the distance, a few Breezies supported Cloak Daggers as he tried to limp to his hooves. He clutched his wings and coughed violently. A shock of realization shivered Joe’s spine and he ran towards Daggers.

“Daggers, you alright?” Joe asked as he took one of Daggers’ legs from the Breezies and heft in over his shoulder.

“My left wing is broken,” Daggers grunted, “But I’ll recover. Did you get the Minotaur?”

“No, he and the monsters ran away.”
Daggers winced in either pain or anger or both. “You fought well.” Joe laid Daggers down on a bed of leaves quickly prepared by the Breezies. “I am just a clumsy old stallion.”

A weak, whimpering roar came from the far side of the village. “They’re making that wounded Ursa Minor talk.” Daggers explained, “Don’t worry. The Breezies can communicate with any animal.”

When the cries of the beast subsided, the Breezie Chief appeared. “Uritru, Daggers. Tono-tia shrur!

“So it was me they were after.” Daggers said solemnly as he laid his head against the leaves, “Why would they want me out of the way? And what did he mean about the killing of a Griffon? Tomorrow we will have to find the Minotaur’s lair.”

“You just rest.” Joe ordered, “In the meantime I’ll help clean up the mess.”

Uti-gah, Con Mane! Fasda-Zi, Fasda-Zi!” the Breezie chief chanted.

”The Breezie Chief thanks you for saving his life. You are now an honorary Breezie.”

“No, not me.” Joe said to the Breezie, “I have to apologize. I used up the pollen to stop the monsters. I’ll go collect more to replace it.”

Joe couldn't look the chief in the eye. He tried to trot away but the chief tugged at his tail. “Polo-Gohorgen. Riti-Titi.

Daggers chuckled weakly and Joe was confused. “He says your heart is as kind as a true Breezie, but he tells you not to worry. You didn't use all the pollen. There is enough left to sustain them for a while longer.”

“But the village--”

“The best way to help them now is to get rid of the Great Storm Cloud. They can always rebuild the village but without the light of the sun, the flowers that make the pollen that supports them cannot grow.”

“As if I didn't have enough problems.” Joe said bitterly. “I’ll make you a splint for that wing.”

Daggers eventually fell asleep as did some of the Breezies. Joe trotted out of the village when nopony was looking. When he was sure he was alone, Joe looked up at the stark blackness above him. Joe realized how much he missed the blue skies of Equestria. The Great Storm Cloud made him feel like a bug trapped underneath a glass jar. Ever since arriving in the Griffon Nest he couldn't shake away the feeling of being watched. The one who trapped him in the jar was playing with him and studying him until it could decide the best way to dispose of him. He could only imagine what it must have felt like for the delicate Breezies.

Joe didn't get any sleep that night. There was no comfortable place to relax in the Breezie village and his whole body ached. After replacing the splint for Daggers’ wing, Joe and Daggers said goodbye to their Breezie friends and left the village. Joe felt some lingering responsibility and regretted not staying to help the Breezies rebuild their homes, but Daggers insisted that they had more important matters to attend to. They returned to the city and dined at Daggers’ house until the evening arrived. After night had fallen, Joe and Daggers met under a fire escape in a dark alleyway that shot off from a complex of abandoned apartments. Most of the buildings were even more decrepit than the Claw ‘n’ Paw. The night was especially chilly and Joe clung to his jacket tightly. He removed his saddlebags and crouched low to the ground.

“You mind telling me why you've brought me out to this craphole?” Joe asked.

“I told you,” Daggers stated with the simplicity of a professor, “we are visiting the Minotaur’s lair.”

“Don’t Minotaurs live in mazes?”

“What is a city if not a maze?” Daggers mused, “Trust me. The Minotaur lives in that building there.” Daggers pointed to the apartment complex right across from the alleyway. It was a tall building with ten floors. At the top of the building was a large billboard for a motion picture that had already been out for several years. The seductive face of the actress Spotlight Stunner smiled brightly underneath the title ‘Call me Swanna’ with the producer’s name ‘Steamed Broccoli’ superimposing itself over one of her eyes. “Twice now that Minotaur has tried to kill me. The third time he will succeed unless I get him first. Which I will do tonight!”

“Not with that wing of yours,” Joe cut him off insistently. “Leave it to me.”

“But I am already too far in your debt.”

Joe smiled. “How can a friend be in debt? Reach into my saddlebag.”

Daggers reached in and pulled out the collapsed pieces of the catapult. The look on Daggers face was priceless. “What is this?”

“Collapsible catapult.” Joe explained as he helped Daggers assemble the catapult. “We can use it to fling me into the building. We’ll catch that monster off guard.”

Daggers stared dumbstruck at the finished product. Fully assembled, the catapult stood twice as tall and twice as wide as any pony. The bucket was shallow and curved to emphasize the trajectory. “How did you fit all of this into your saddlebag?”

“Quiet!” Joe whispered harshly, “There are some ponies coming this way.”

“Those are my sons. They will ring his doorbell. He must have some private escape hatch. When it opens I’ll catapult you in.”

Joe pulled the tense bucket low to the ground and climbed in while Daggers’ sons rang the doorbell. The catapult arm creaked under the heavy pressure. Joe watched the complex carefully. “I don’t see nothing yet.”

“She has a lovely mouth, that Spotlight.” Daggers mused cheekily.

Joe looked up at the billboard and realized that Spotlight’s smile was brighter than before. He realized what was going on when he made out the distinct silhouette of the Minotaur standing in her mouth, back lit by a bright light. “Yeah, I see what you mean.”

The horned shadow squirmed and peered over the sides down at the ponies below. Cloak Daggers squirmed as well. Anger and anticipation itched at his body. “Wing or no wing, I have to be the pony to do it.”

Daggers pressed a hoof down on Joe’s shoulder and pleaded with his bright, pink eyes. Joe could see their unflinching determination. Joe understood all too well how personal their job could get. He recalled times in the past when he could not let a kill go and the regret he felt at those who got away. “Alright, Daggers, if you think you can do it. But once I launch you into the air, that’s it. You’ll have to face the Minotaur on your own.”

“I wouldn't have it any other way.”

The Minotaur’s shadow disappeared into the light and reappeared carrying some indecipherable shape. Cloak’s son still stood by the door of the building, ringing the doorbell. In the bucket of the catapult, Daggers curled himself into a tight ball. Joe painstakingly checked the alignment of the arm so that it was on point with Spotlight’s smile. A breath of finality from Daggers assured Joe that he was ready.

the Minotaur stretched his arms out of the mouth. There was no time to count. Joe pulled the lever and released the catch that held the arm back. The arm released and Daggers flew out of the bucket like the shot out of a wing cannon. Daggers kept his arms legs and one good wing tight against his body. His black cape flutter behind him. Closer and closer he sliced through the cold, piercing air until he could make out the sickly grey fur of the Minotaur and his one broken horn.

A wide-eyed caricature of confusion decorated the Minotaur’s muzzle when Daggers collided straight into his stomach.

The force sent both toppling to the ground. The heavy anvil that the Minotaur was carrying shook the hardwood floor. Daggers and the Minotaur toppled and tumbled across the room. The monster tried to wrestle the smaller creature but Dagger scuttled free and onto his hooves. His cape flapped in triumphant mockery. The Minotaur rested on a knee.

“This game ends now!” rallied Cloak Daggers.
“Cloak Daggers!” the Minotaur huffed from his nostrils, “How’s dat wing treatin’ ya? You shouldn't have come here, you doddering old fool”

“That’s the problem with us old ponies. We are far too stubborn in our ways. I couldn't bare the idea of dying before settling my business with you.” Daggers coughed and clutched his chest.

“You are nothing but a sick geezer, Daggers. Tell me. How long did the doctors give you? a year? six months? less than that I hope?”
“Long enough to take care of you.” Daggers tipped his wide brimmed hat. “If you don’t want me here then why don’t you just kick me out, eh?”
The Minotaur smiled a yellow smile. “With pleasure.” The monster scrapped his hoof against the unpolished wooden floor, his fingertips at point. Daggers was ready as well. He recognized the stance from the Breezie village and this time he was ready.
The Minotaur initiated his charge. Daggers answered by charging forward just as he did before. But this time Daggers held the string of his cape in his teeth. When he was close enough to the Minotaur, he bit the cape loose and dodged to the side. The inner red lining of the cape flew into the Minotaur’s face. All he could see was an ocean of brilliant red. His charge became a stumble as he struggled to remove the cloth from his head although it got caught on his broken horn. The Minotaur was able to rip the cape off and stop his movement just as he reached the edge of the secret escape. His hoof dangled partially over Spotlight Stunner’s chin.

“Daggers!” He spat while turning around, “Where did you go!?”

“I’m right here.” When the Minotaur spun around he was met with a pale yellow blur. Daggers leaped into the air and delivered a solid kick to the Minotaur snout. Daggers felt the sinew buckle and snap. A river of blood flowed from the monster’s massive nostrils. The Minotaur toppled out of the entrance. In his ten story fall, the Minotaur stared up at the sickening smile of Spotlight Stunner and the wide brimmed silhouette in her teeth.

“That pays many debts.” said Daggers to himself followed by a small cough.
Joe watched from the alleyway as the massive monster plummeted and screamed all the way to the concrete below which silenced him for good.

“Such a barbaric sport.”