• Published 17th Oct 2014
  • 629 Views, 4 Comments

Agent Con Mane in Mission to the Griffon Kingdom (to be rewritten) - Fairytail



A filly living in the Griffon Kingdom contacts Mane6 and says she is willing to defect to Equestria along with a long sought after spell book. Her one condition? That Con Mane be the agent that escorts her to Equestria.

  • ...
0
 4
 629

Chapter 12: Sprinkles on an Old Fashioned

Joe woke up to a sea of pain. He was sprawled out on the floor of the bedroom. The aches and pains that tingled his body were minutely messaged by the speeding train. A splitting headache pierced his temples. Joe opened his eyes to find that the room was quite dim. He attempted to light the room with his magic but nothing happened. Joe concentrated harder but still his horn would not light. In fact it didn't respond at all. Joe couldn't feel his horn. He touched it with his hooves to make sure it was still there. It was there, but no magic ran through it.

“Disharmonizer.” the deadpan voice responded to Joe’s thoughts, “Your horn will be worthless for 24 hours. Not that that will matter. Now keep still.” Standing on the far side of the dimly lit room, stood an impressive figure. Even in the shadows, Joe could make out Captain Dart. But Dart’s face was emotionless and his eyes were cruel. “Alright now sit up on your haunches. Front hooves flat.”

Joe obeyed the order. He grimaced at the traitorous captain with loathing disgust. “Sprinkles on an old fashioned… Well that should have told me something.”

Dart was unfazed. “You may know your baked goods, but you’re the one on your haunches. How does it feel, Old Horse?”

“Old Horse?” Joe chuckled, “Is that what ponies in service of SkyClaw call each other?”

“SkyClaw?” Dart chuckled back. It started out as a raspy breath, but then it grew louder. His cackling was deadly-- sharp and poisonous.

Joe startled back in surprise as Captain Dart appeared to melt before him. It started with the wings on his side. The wings slid off of his body and the feathers wilted as they landed on the floor with a wet slap before dissolving into the carpet. Then there was his mane. Trickles of golden yellow dripped from his head. The yellow merged and mixed with the orange-red of his coat as that too bled from his body. The colors ran off of his body like mud in a shower, pooling on the floor and leaving behind a sickly grey color. Even his Cutie Mark melted away, revealing the blank flank underneath. Before long, all the color had dissipated from Captain Dart. His eyes, mane and coat were all the same colorless blight. All the while he laughed coldly and menacingly.

“By Celestia…” Joe felt the sickness swirling in his stomach. “You stole another pony’s colors? But that’s impossible. In order to pull that off you’d have to be using the powers of… chaos. Of course! DISCORD! Then this wasn't a Griffon show at all. You've been playing both nations against each other, haven’t you? Then it was DISCORD who killed the Griffon in the temple. You?”

“mm-hm.” the grey pony looked very pleased with himself.

“Daggers and the other Griffon?”

“mm-hm.”

Joe’s blood boiled. The grey pony smiled so wide that Joe could see his moist, grey gums.

“And I take you killed Dart as well to disguise yourself. Just who are you!?”

“Not who you think. My name is Rook and this body is merely one of my pawns, ready to be sacrificed if needed. The real me is sitting comfortably at home. The wonders of this chaos magic.”

“So why go through all the trouble, Rook?”

“I don’t mind talking.” the grey pony said sardonically, “I get a kick watching the ‘great’ Con Mane realize what an utter fool he’s been. We’re pros, Mr. Mane. I’ve been keeping tabs on you this whole time. I've been your guardian angel. Saved your life at the Breezie Village.”

“Ah, yes,” Joe remembered the massive Ursa Minor that nearly flattened him that night, and the single pony that appeared out of nowhere and vanquished it in a single buck, “Thanks for that.”

“I was keeping you alive until you could get us the Grimoire.”

“So you had me deliver it on a platter. That’s brilliant. Go on, I’m fascinated.”

The grey pony’s eyes were bright with life. His voice marveled as he relished in his own pride. “Now that we've got it, you and the filly are expendable.”

“The filly? Isn't she working for DISCORD too?”

The grey pony laughed,. “No. She thinks she’s doing it all for her Griffon masters. She takes her orders from General Griselda.”

Joe felt the pit in his stomach drop further. She was telling the truth and he hit her for it. “Wait. But General Griselda is a Griffon. Head of operations for SkyClaw.”

“Was.” he corrected Joe, “Griselda’s heart has been touched by chaos. She’s one of us now. But the filly doesn't know that.”

Joe looked to the side at the locked bedroom door. He prayed that Rose was still asleep and didn't walk in on them.

“Well then, why kill her?” Joe asked sincerely.

“Orders. That’s only half of it, Old Horse.” the grey pony hoofed up a small grey cylinder that rested on the fold up couch next to him. “Here’s a roll of film. She’ll have this in her saddlebag. And on you? They’ll find a letter. It’s from her. Threatening to give the film to the press, unless you marry her for helping her steal the Grimoire.”

“What film? What in blazes are you going on about?”

He continued his disgusting giggle. “Taken in the bridal suite of your hotel, of course. Something else the filly didn't know about. Poor you.”

Joe was already sick of listening to the smarmy bastard, but he had to keep him talking. “A plan this convoluted and twisted must have come from a pretty sick mind.”

“Thank you.” he sneered, “I do my best. Can you see the headlines? Equestrian Spy murders beautiful runaway slave then commits suicide? It will be my crowning achievement.”

“Now I gotta know. Which lunatic asylum did they get you out of?”

The grey pony’s face snarled with anger. He smacked Joe hard across the face in retaliation. Joe held tightly to his expression in order to not give away how much it actually hurt.

“Don’t make this tougher on yourself!” Rook spat through his borrow teeth. “My orders are of kill you and deliver the Grimoire. How I do it is my business! But it will be slow and painful.” Rook relished in his own madness. Joe was losing control. He had to think quickly.

“How much are they paying you?” he asked. Joe could see the glimmer of curiosity in the Rook’s cold, grey eyes.

“What’s it to you?”

“We’ll double it.”

Rook chuckled in disbelief. “Your word of honor? As an ‘Agent of Harmony’?” Rook brandished a long knife from the same pile he grabbed the roll of film. “The first stab won’t kill you. Nor the second. Not even the third. Not until you crawl over her and you KISS MY HOOF!”

“Can I at least get one last donut first?”

“Not a chance.” Rook growled.

“I can pay for it.”

Once again Rook looked intrigued. “What with?”

“50 pieces of Pre-Equestrian bits!” Joe answered.

Rook’s eyes lit up. He looked Joe and up down hungrily. “Where are they?” he asked with a snap.

“In my saddlebag.” Jo asked calmly.

Rook grabbed Joe’s black saddlebags with the donut Cutie Mark on the side. Joe watched patiently for Rook to open the bag so he could make his move. But just as Rook was about to undo the buckle, he stopped. “You show me!” he said as he tossed the bags to Joe. Joe tried to think of a way to turn the situation around, but all he could do was obey.

Joe unlatched the bag, making extra certain that Rook wouldn't be able to see the special technique. He reached into the impossibly large bag and pulled out the satchel that contained the valuable gold. As a sign of trust, Joe opened the satchel and spread the coins out flat on the fold up couch.

Rook’s mouth was practically watering. His lip quivered with excitement. “Any more in Dart’s bag?” he asked quickly. Joe fought against his smile. It was the moment he was waiting for.

“I’d imagine so.” he answered innocently, “It’s a standard kit. I’ll have a look.” Joe reached for the black saddlebags adorned with the three darts but he froze in place when Rook pointed his knife at Joe’s throat.

“Put your hooves back!” Rook ordered, “Keep them there! I’ll open it.” Rook pulled the black bags in towards him. He cradled them close to his body for a moment with uneven breath.

Joe watched in anticipation as Rook’s shaking hooves undid the latch, oblivious as to the proper method to open the bags. Rook pulled the flap wide open and a swirling black cloud erupted from the bag and straight into Rook’s face.

Rook screamed loudly in terror. His hooves claws at his eyes frantically. Joe could see that the entirety of the grey pony’s eyeballs had turned pitch black. With the blindness potion in effect, Joe sprang into action. He pounced onto the wobbling grey pony and pinned his massive frame to the ground. Rook screamed in utter terror as Joe punched him square in the muzzle. Joe thought of Rose. He thought of her being used and abused and not even knowing it. Joe punched Rook again. An ocean of blood gushed from his nostrils. Joe thought of the Breezies, their village in ruins. Another Punch. Joe heard a satisfying crack. Rook’s screams turned into guttering wails. Joe though of Cloak Daggers, lying in a bloody heap on the train floor. Joe pressed his hooves together and brought them both down towards the grey pony’s face. But Rook held up a thick hoof and caught Joe’s blow. They wrestled their strength against each other.

Rook spoke through his disfigured face. “I’m done playing with you Con Mane. I have other business to attend to. I’ll be back after my dear puppet has torn you to shreds. Our beloved monsters… enjoy yourselves!”

The smiling grimace vanished from the grey’s pony’s face. Joe was staring back at an emotionless husk. The pony’s breathing became heavy. His bloody nostrils flared so hard, blood sprayed towards Joe’s face. The growls coming from deep within the grey pony’s throat were monstrous and animalistic. The monster roared like beast and pushed Joe with the violent strength of an Ursa. Joe slammed against the bedroom door and fell to the floor only to be immediately picked up and slammed back on the floor. All the while, the grey pony roared with murderous intent. Joe could do nothing. the beast was too fast. It was too strong.

The grey pony wrapped his massive hooves around Joe’s neck and squeezed tightly. The force of Joe’s body being flung at it, forced the bedroom door to open. Through his strained vision, Joe could see Rose sleeping comfortably on the couch. He tried to call out to her but he had no breath with which to speak. Joe’s vision faded away. Darkness surrounded him and he could feel his entire body turn numb.

“Joe…” Joe heard a soft voice swimming in the empty darkness. “Joe… I’m sorry I hid the truth from you…”

It was Rose. Joe could clearly hear Rose’s voice. He willed his vision to return to him even as his life was being choked out of him. Rose stirred in her sleep He saw her lips moving, talking within her dreams.

“I forgive you, Joe.” she uttered softly, “You were just trying to protect me. You saved me. Thank you.” Tears streaked down Joe’s cheek. He wasn’t sure if it was from the pressure on his throat, or something else. “I love you, Joe.”

Rose stirred in her sleep and cuddled her face into her hooves. Joe’s heart burned with a raging fire. Life returned to his failing muscles. He grabbed the grey pony’s hooves, and pulled at them with all of his might. Still the grey pony’s massive strength would not let up. Joe kept his thoughts on Rose. He didn't allow her image to fade from his mind. He played her words over and over in his head. ‘I love you. I love you. I love you.’

The words surged through Joe’s body like a spell. He could feel the power they granted coursing through his veins, up from his hooves and into his head. He could hear them echoing inside his mind and all the way into his. His horn tingled with the power, and Joe took the opportunity.

Joe’s horn surged with sparking power. Black tendrils emerged and danced around his horn. The tendrils bubbled with green and purple light. Joe’s eyes glowed with a vibrant green and his irises turned blood red. A haze of purple smoke billowed from the corners of his eyes. Joe could feel the powers of darkness granting him the strength he needed. He pulled at the grey pony’s hooves and they actually started to budge. Joe’s airwaves opened up and he could relish in the coolness of a fresh breath. This invigorated Joe further. He was twice the pony he used to be and it felt incredible. With the strength of a Buffalo, he twisted his body around and decked the grey pony in the jaw. The grey pony flew to the ground and Joe jumped on top of him. Joe wrapped his hooves around the grey pony’s neck and squeezed tightly. Air rushed out of the grey pony’s throat and it felt like releasing air from a balloon. Joe enjoyed the feeling.

The grey pony desperately tried to use his hulking strength to pull the crazed Unicorn off of his but it was only growing weaker while Joe grew more powerful. Joe squeezed tighter and tighter and he even rocked the pony violently from side to side just for good measure.

The grey pony’s hoof fell lifelessly to the ground. The prey within Joe’s grasp stopped fighting. Joe got no more pleasure out of the feeling than if he was hugging a stuffed animal. So Joe let go and allowed the dead animal to collapse on the floor. The darkness around Joe’s horn stopped pulsating and dissipated. Joe’s eyes returned to normal.

He blinked around in confusion. He stood above the dead body of the grey pony with no idea of what had transpired. The last thing he remembered, he was dying and then he heard Rose’s voice…

“Rose!” Joe hurried over to Rose, still peacefully asleep on the couch. The car was silent except for the chugging of the train.